Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tutor kid sucks but he gives you access to the best Persona in the game. Tower Arcana is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P3 still has the best Tower link, though 'Get Smoked Hat' is funny just for the hat.

Then again Hermit and Temperance didn't really get any great links til P5 (and even then I'm half and half on Temperance because Becky is great, the situation surrounding it is not).

Also I know people like Maya but I just didn't find that link in P3 that engaging.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tower is one of the few good links in vanilla P3 (you know it's true because it's one of the ones they didn't replace for FeMC)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
That implies that Hidetoshi is a good link, though.

Bebe is also not a great link, it's only funny just because you can make him say a funny thing each time he greets you.

What else was kept in P3P? Maiko's alright, Akinari is great, I'm honestly not fond of Tanaka, I guess the Old Couple are okay, if a bit boring.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't hate Hidetoshi too much but I forgot Bebe was even in the game lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Artelier posted:

One unintuitive tip for the first end dungeon boss of Persona 4 Golden is just bench Chie. That extra turn that Shadow Yukiko gets is much more painful than letting "Forever Guarding" Chie sit out.

I think you can do the boss relatively comfortably around level...9 or so since you should gain access to fire-immune Senri

Just Kill Her

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yuko and Chihiro were alright, and the old couple, and mr.sun. I think the Gourmet king drags the average down into the gutter in peoples mind

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

Yuko and Chihiro were alright, and the old couple, and mr.sun. I think the Gourmet king drags the average down into the gutter in peoples mind

Well and then there's ones that are just complete wastes of time like Fortune. Actually, maybe Fortune was good! Impossible to know, no one has ever gotten it past Rank 2. I dare you to tell me his name without looking it up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Super don't remember the name, but its the art kid right?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

Well and then there's ones that are just complete wastes of time like Fortune. Actually, maybe Fortune was good! Impossible to know, no one has ever gotten it past Rank 2. I dare you to tell me his name without looking it up.

Keisuke! Ha! I mean, he was still kinda boring.

P3P's replacements were fine, Chariot was decent, though Hermit was still... pretty bleh.

Gaius Marius posted:

Well that and being forced to harem anyone that's a girl and not a kid.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All I remember of the Hanged Man in p3p is the little girl's father asking out femc on a date.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

Keisuke! Ha! I mean, he was still kinda boring

I'm looking at his portrait right now and I still don't remember him

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Acerbatus posted:

All I remember of the Hanged Man in p3p is the little girl's father asking out femc on a date.

Well that was certainly a choice they made.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Ii recently beat Shadow Mitsuo and he was bullshit. I had to grind a ton to beat him. I guess I was just underleveled? What’s the trick?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Artelier posted:

I'm looking at his portrait right now and I still don't remember him

P3's Star link was Mamoru. Does anyone remember him? Anyone? Hello?

...:smith:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The trick is you bring Kanji, Power Charge when the shell's about to die, kill the shell on the next turn, then deny the All-Out Attack when it gets downed and Vile Assault with Kanji for like a third of its health

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, he got me helel

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

In my playthrough I messed up the timing so I never got him. On the plus side realizing that I would not be able to get everyone freed me from worrying about it so halfway in to the moon social link I just said gently caress it and never continued it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Moon started a cult. I remember my first time through the game just eyes glazing over everytime I did his link, and then I start reading the screen and he's getting his rear end beat cause he's in a cult, and hes whining cause his brother died. All I could think was," What in the gently caress is this social link". Then I got my persona and ignored him forever

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Fuse Black Frost for Shadow Mitsuo if you want an easy time. Basically you want really high burst damage for when his armor is down and Black Frost gives you the earliest access to both Mind Charge and a -Dyne level spell.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's kinda fitting that P3's world is riddled with Apathy Syndrome because that's how I felt reading half those links.

If they wanted to sell P3MC as someone who really, really could not care less about half those people, they did a really good job.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's kinda fitting that P3's world is riddled with Apathy Syndrome because that's how I felt reading half those links.

If they wanted to sell P3MC as someone who really, really could not care less about half those people, they did a really good job.

I'd go to bat to say P3 has better links than P4, MC or FeMC. P5 has better links than both though, and P2 has the best characters of all of 'em.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Arist posted:

The trick is you bring Kanji, Power Charge when the shell's about to die, kill the shell on the next turn, then deny the All-Out Attack when it gets downed and Vile Assault with Kanji for like a third of its health

WrightOfWay posted:

Fuse Black Frost for Shadow Mitsuo if you want an easy time. Basically you want really high burst damage for when his armor is down and Black Frost gives you the earliest access to both Mind Charge and a -Dyne level spell.

:tipshat:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd go to bat to say P3 has better links than P4, MC or FeMC. P5 has better links than both though, and P2 has the best characters of all of 'em.

I think if I were to compare every s.link to the same arcana in the other games, P3P and 5 would tie for having the most good ones, then P3 and 5 would tie for worst ones. :v:

4 I mostly was pretty whatever on all the s. links. I didn't particularly like half the party and most of the non-party ones were whatever.

Naoki, Nanako and Dojima were the only ones I really liked, I think.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright, here's the P3 SLs as far as I remember:

Fool - the dumbfuck deathwish squad
Magician - this is the kid that wants to bone his teacher?
Priestess - Fuuka
Empress - Mitsuru and you unlock this incredibly late
Emperor - student council guy? there's a bathroom involved?
Hierophant - .......uh......some old person who acts as a father figure......?
Lovers - Yukari
Chariot - uh. sports, i think?
Justice - I think this is the chick who makes a cameo in P4's field trip?
Hermit - your teacher who plays MMOs and makes P2 references
Fortune - ........
Strength - ........I think this is Koromaru? maybe in portable
Hanged Man - the little girl who's parents are abusive and a hairs-breadth away from a violent divorce, P3 MC basically does nothing to help
Death - creepy boy
Temperance - French guy
Devil - Tanaka!
Tower - rad buddhist monk guy
Star - i think this is sports again?
Moon - that fucker
Sun - the creepy dying guy who writes the children's book that cameos in P4
Judgement - dumbfuck deathwish squad, mk2
Aeon - Aigis

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Like if I was being strict about comparing 'best' links between Arcana (why not, I have the time):

Fool: Doesn't count, they're all storyline
Magician: P3FeMC
Priestess: P3FeMC (it's either this or P5, which mostly notable just for having a brutal Rank 9)
Empress: ...P3FeMC? (Honestly, slim pickings)
Emperor: P5 (Sorry Kanji)
Hierophant: P4 (It's really close between this and P5 and I could go either way)
Lovers: P3FeMC (Again, slimmest of pickings)
Chariot: P5
Justice: P4
Hermit: P5
Fortune: P4
Strength: P4 (Soccer)
Hanged: P5 (P4 is very good though)
Death: P4
Temperance: P5
Devil: P4 (man the options here were terrible)
Tower: P3?
Sun: P5
Moon: P4
Star: P3FeMC (Hifumi is a worthy contender though)

So that's... one for P3, 5 for the FeMC, 7 for P4, 6 for P5 for me. Pretty even to be honest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I like Yusuke but his Confidant is not better than Kanji's SL

In the last rank of Yusuke's Confidant they suddenly try to staple on Madarame secretly caring about Yusuke and it's weird as hell

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
True, maybe I attach too much strength to how fun his Rank 5 is. With Yusuke I think the last couple ranks were a combination of him struggling between artistic identity and selling out for a living, which is what he thought set Madarame down his path of vanity, and also conflating Madarame being scum with him having a shred of good in his past, which y'know, not too uncommon for people who separate from scumbag parents. Maybe I'm reading into it too much but I've seen enough people who've had to go no contact from terrible families but still have good memories of them. It's tough.

Kanji's a good egg though and his link is pretty good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think that's where they were going with madarame, but they didn't lay the groundwork, or have the chops to pull it off so it feels hollow

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Arist posted:

I like Yusuke but his Confidant is not better than Kanji's SL

In the last rank of Yusuke's Confidant they suddenly try to staple on Madarame secretly caring about Yusuke and it's weird as hell

It's less this and more at one point long ago in the past he must have cared for Yusuke on some level, perhaps if only for feeling bad about letting Yusuke's mother die (which is in of itself perhaps a little suspect given Shadows in Persona 4 often overblow things about their real self in the most negative way possible), simply because he could not know Yusuke would be a brilliant artist as a child and adopted him regardless. Remember Sayuri was a painting Yusuke's mother painted either whilst pregnant or shortly after giving birth of herself with Yusuke in her arms so Madarame adopted Yusuke and raised him from when he was a baby.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 10, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's a weird reversal because they were skating Yusuke's dilemma pretty well in the actual Palace and then turned Madarame into a cackling villain to make it easy for Yusuke to turn on him. Kinda dropped the nuance there a bit, but ah well.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really feel like if they built up to that a bit or spent a bit time on it, it would've made Yusuke's link really interesting.

Or if it came up in Haru's or something.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Like if I was being strict about comparing 'best' links between Arcana (why not, I have the time):

I can't find the old list I made, but I mostly agree with you.

I'd give Fortune, Strength, Devil, and Moon to P3 femc and Hanged Man to p4, though.

It's kinda interesting how a lot of the best and blandest social links end up on the same slot, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't even remember the Fortune link for P3P. It was ehhhhh *goes to check* oh yeah it was the same as P3, the very forgettable guy. I guess I don't see how they're better than Naoto?

Shinjiro was really good and it was tough picking between him and Ai though. Like if you asked me tomorrow I might say Shinji, ask me another day I might say Ai again. Screw it, I'll say it goes to P3P so it goes 6/6/6 between P3P/P4/P5.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Being able to save shinji sucks rear end, damages ken and akihikos arcs and accomplishes nothing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaius Marius posted:

Being able to save shinji sucks rear end, damages ken and akihikos arcs and accomplishes nothing.

nah it rules

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't even remember the Fortune link for P3P. It was ehhhhh *goes to check* oh yeah it was the same as P3, the very forgettable guy. I guess I don't see how they're better than Naoto?

Shinjiro was really good and it was tough picking between him and Ai though. Like if you asked me tomorrow I might say Shinji, ask me another day I might say Ai again. Screw it, I'll say it goes to P3P so it goes 6/6/6 between P3P/P4/P5.

Er, no, FeMC's Fortune link is Ryoji. Male MC gets some random jerk.

I love Naoto but she had the same problem as Makoto or Ann where her s. link is just kind of ok.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Persona 5's attempt at a "nooooo everyone is good at heart deep down!!!" moral is easily the most irritating thing about it. It's stupid enough they try to do it with Ichiryusai "I murdered a woman to steal her magnum opus and control her son" Madarame and Kunikazu "Haha selling my daughter off to a well connected rapist go brrr" Okumura, and I'm pretty sure the Palace 6 plan does not work - every indication is that developing a Palace is the moment where the ruler crosses the Rubicon and can no longer be reasoned out of their mindset, and may not even let others attempt to do so.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gen. Ripper posted:

Persona 5's attempt at a "nooooo everyone is good at heart deep down!!!" moral is easily the most irritating thing about it. It's stupid enough they try to do it with Ichiryusai "I murdered a woman to steal her magnum opus and control her son" Madarame and Kunikazu "Haha selling my daughter off to a well connected rapist go brrr" Okumura, and I'm pretty sure the Palace 6 plan does not work - every indication is that developing a Palace is the moment where the ruler crosses the Rubicon and can no longer be reasoned out of their mindset, and may not even let others attempt to do so.

Uh what about Futaba?

Anyways, I think adding some texture to the villains is good, but they didn't go far enough with giving them any redeeming qualities to give them actual shades of grey except for... Sae, I guess?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

Uh what about Futaba?

Sojiro notes she's actively refusing to see a doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Hey at least they never attempted to make Kaneshiro redeemable. Half the time he's so forgettable I want to call him Kamoshida instead.