Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Great North is growing on me. It has potential, and I think as they develop their voice they'll get funnier. The fourth episode where they get the dad to go on a date was pretty good.

The third episode has that fun subplot about the dad and the second oldest son trying to put together a Shrek themed party but neither of them have watched it (and the internet was out so they couldn't just search for it online.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

It’s almost scary how bad that Cletus episode was

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Because people already pay for Disney+ to watch it.

That's why you copy the other thing they do, you chop up all the episodes into snippets and glue them back together out of order into endless compilations that kids love to endlessly watch so you still have to use the disney + if you want them in proper episode form.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Can't wait for them to do an entire episode about Just Stamp The Ticket Man

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I want an episode on Chef Bart-Eater.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

What about the meshed bart twins?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Lots of potential in that crowd. Also digging the Torsoless Bandit.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

there's a happy little elf on the right

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember noticing Bulbous Head Guy when it aired live and cracking up, missed most of the rest until now though

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’m the conjoined twins at the hair, cursed forever to look upward.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Endless Trash posted:

It’s almost scary how bad that Cletus episode was

I swear they do a Cletus episode every year now and it always loving sucks. A little bit of that character goes a long way.

In recent years they've kinda pivoted him into being a hillbilly wiseman who only seems foolish, and that change is also terrible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PostNouveau posted:

I swear they do a Cletus episode every year now and it always loving sucks. A little bit of that character goes a long way.

In recent years they've kinda pivoted him into being a hillbilly wiseman who only seems foolish, and that change is also terrible.

It worked for Lucky

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Das Boo posted:

I want an episode on Chef Bart-Eater.

I personally like chinstrap beard blond sonic

that screenshot is a gift, thank you

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don’t believe this is the first Cleetus episode. There’s definitely been a Disco Stu one, too, right?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Simpsons has been going on for so long that Disco Stu went from being an anachronism to a double anachronism.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
most folk'll never get an episode, but then again some folk'll

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This is the first big Cletus episode I remember

A joint-celebration of the Springfield Grand Prix and the final stage of the Tour de Springfield turns sour when the race cars and bicyclists collide with each other. During the following Racers Ball, Bart observes Lisa dancing with Milhouse and makes fun of them, but then Lisa tells him in return that he will never have a date, as his relationships do not last more than a week because his girlfriends eventually find out "the real him". Bart realizes that Lisa is right and, hoping to prove her point wrong, visits all of his past girlfriends (including Jenny the nursing home volunteer from "The Good, the Sad, and the Drugly", Darcy the pregnant teen from "Little Big Girl", Gina Vendetti the juvenile delinquent from "The Wandering Juvie", and Nikki McKenna from "Stealing First Base") to see if they still like him, but each and every one of them rejects him while Nikki still oscillates between loving Bart and hating him.

Finally, Bart is left with one option: Mary Spuckler, the daughter of hillbilly Cletus Spuckler from "Apocalypse Cow". He and Milhouse visit the Spuckler house, but Cletus informs them that Mary ran away after he scheduled her for marriage with another hillbilly, and does not know where she is. However, Mary's brother Dubya tells Bart that Mary ran away to New York City and gives him her address. When Bart watches a video of him and Mary, he realizes that she might be his true love and asks Homer and Marge if they can go to New York. At first, the two refuse, still remembering the last time the family traveled to New York. However, Homer changes his mind and is able to find a way to get the family to New York: by swapping houses with a family from there (although the family is intentionally routed to the Flanders house).

Arriving at New York City, Bart and Homer search for Mary, and eventually find her at the address. Bart learns that Mary now works as a writer and has a performance option on Saturday Night Live. Mary and several citizens of New York sing a song for Bart, and the two realize that they truly love one another. Before they can kiss, Cletus arrives, having somehow found out where Mary is, and asks her to return home. Mary accepts, but while at the train station, she and Bart take advantage of Cletus's distraction to flee to another departing train. Mary tells Bart that there will be more Mary Spucklers out there, gives him their first kiss, and leaves on the train, calling out to not disappoint any of his future girlfriends and let them "fix him", as he has "a couple of problems, but is mostly great". The family and Cletus arrive, with Cletus demanding where Mary is heading for, but Bart, not wanting to ruin his last chance at true love, refuses. Cletus then accepts that he must let his daughter go. During the trip back to Springfield, Cletus comforts a saddened Bart (who cries) by giving him a photo of several of his children, including Mary, while Homer tells him that he learned the lesson on how "complicated" grown-up feelings can be.

As part of a subplot during the New York sequence, Marge, Lisa, and Maggie decide to search for culture. They first try to go to a Broadway show, but give up when they learn they can afford only the worst seats. Eventually arriving at a Shakespeare in the Park performance, they first experience complications when the line is extremely long. Then, the manager announces that the showing, Romeo and Juliet, will not be played tonight, as the actors portraying the Montague and Capulet families – the Baldwin and the Estevez brothers – are at a feud with one another. Enraged at this, Lisa enlists the audience members to take over the roles and they perform the play. However, the police arrive and break up the production. At the end of the episode, it is revealed that a review was written for the show, which Lisa is initially disgusted at, but is diverted when she finds out the reviewer liked her performance as Juliet. During the end credits, the family announces a contest for fans to submit their own couch gag, in which the winner's couch gag will be animated and appearing on the show, and that further details are to be shown on TheSimpsons.com.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Lots of potential in that crowd. Also digging the Torsoless Bandit.

I think we have a smilie for that guy :madmax:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I read these plot synopses and it feels so overstuffed and complicated. Maybe I'm missing something, but it just feels unnatural.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it possible to write a plot synopsis of a Golden Age era episode like that?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Type in “foreboding music playlist” into YouTube

find one that appeals to you, put it on but not too loud, and read new Simpsons episode recaps.

It’s like the “try not to cum” challenge but for slitting your wrists

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Milo and POTUS posted:

it's not good but it's not as bad as modern simpsons. Same with TGN. It's just bland pablum.

Bland pablum is my favourite Radiohead album.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gonna have to be more specific

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't had cable since 2007 or 2008, but that observation basically applies to all cable channels these days. It's one niche show per channel, and it's non stop for like 18 hours per day.

oh for sure, i didn't mean to single out nickelodeon. tnt had law and order, usa had house, cartoon network had adventure time, etc.

i honestly don't get it. i don't care how much you love a show, why would you want to watch it 20 times a day?? :psyduck:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mr Interweb posted:

oh for sure, i didn't mean to single out nickelodeon. tnt had law and order, usa had house, cartoon network had adventure time, etc.

i honestly don't get it. i don't care how much you love a show, why would you want to watch it 20 times a day?? :psyduck:

Because it’s just comforting noise you can have on while do look at your phone or do things around the house. No one really watches traditional tv anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr Interweb posted:

My best guess is that it matches streaming patterns, and that's what cable channels have to compete with now. Plus it's probably a hell of a lot cheaper to just run the most popular or cheapest program on the channel all day long.

The_Rob posted:

Because it’s just comforting noise you can have on while do look at your phone or do things around the house. No one really watches traditional tv anyway.

There's that too, it's why people stream Friends or The Office all day long

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The_Rob posted:

The other day I googled "do people still watch tv" and supposedly the average American watches 3.8 hours of broadcast television per day :psyduck:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For 20 years running now I have used Home Movies as my "fall asleep" background noise, ever since it was first-run on Adult Swim at like 1AM and I got used to falling asleep in that time slot. Only now I just stream it from my phone.

I make it about 30 seconds at a time on average. It takes me like three months to work my way through the 4 seasons and start over

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm still mad that there's no "random episode" button. I get that companies think it's way too complicated to let customers create a custom randomized channel based on different series and whitelists/blacklists/weights, but don't make me actively need to choose a specific individual episode or a "random" episode based on holding the down button for a way too consistent length of time

:rant:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Back when I had cable, adult swim would knock me the gently caress out every time. I usually couldn't fall asleep for hours. But a minute of Family Guy would put me to sleep for the whole night.

Their Roku app is basically the same for me now. They used to have great stream shows, but covid and HBO took that away. Now their Robot Chicken marathon puts me to sleep in seconds every time.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sentient Data posted:

I'm still mad that there's no "random episode" button. I get that companies think it's way too complicated to let customers create a custom randomized channel based on different series and whitelists/blacklists/weights, but don't make me actively need to choose a specific individual episode or a "random" episode based on holding the down button for a way too consistent length of time

When the FX app had random episodes in the Simpsons World section, I would torture my wife with Simpsons Roulette, where we'd take the ~66% chance of getting a bad episode. The best I'd ever be able to say was "that episode had a couple of decent gags".

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
drat, I wish I could fall asleep in seconds/minutes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

drat, I wish I could fall asleep in seconds/minutes.

TV you've seen a million times is a good way to go.

Sometimes I turn one of my fall-asleep shows on during the day and get surprised by the end of episodes that I've heard the first 5 minutes of a million times.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPoqNeR3_UA

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

Plex has a random episode button :smugdog:

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Can someone help me find a quote/name of an episode? Its from a golden period episode when The Simpsons go to a colonial village. Barney is there and Homer says something like "oh you got a job as the town drunk?" and Barney is like "what job?"

I can't find it through Google because I dont remember the rest of the plot of the episode, and there's been too many bad episodes based on colonial villages since.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Olewithmilk posted:

Can someone help me find a quote/name of an episode? Its from a golden period episode when The Simpsons go to a colonial village. Barney is there and Homer says something like "oh you got a job as the town drunk?" and Barney is like "what job?"

I can't find it through Google because I dont remember the rest of the plot of the episode, and there's been too many bad episodes based on colonial villages since.

I thought it was Whacking Day, when Marge takes Bart to the historical Springfield town area thing.

Turns out I was right.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Paingod556 posted:

I thought it was Whacking Day, when Marge takes Bart to the historical Springfield town area thing.

Turns out I was right.

Hell yes, thank you!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Whacking Day is one episode I've pointed out on rewatch has a really dense and rapid pacing, almost dreamlike at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Whacking Day is one episode I've pointed out on rewatch has a really dense and rapid pacing, almost dreamlike at times.

It whacks slow, THEN fast