Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, the geth are implied to have hidden depths in ME1 that we see in ME2.

ME3 is really the one that makes the geth weird. A large part of the geth is that they're a series of ad-hoc gestalt consciousnesses that can't meaningfully die, but ME3 treats them like individual robots entirely so that you can hook back up with Legion and Legion's death can be tragic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's even sillier than that: the Reaper code upgrades are described as having evolved each and every semi-sapient geth program into its own independent, fully-fledged AI. Legion identifying itself as a singular being makes no sense in that context, if anything it would have become a thousand different minds inhabiting a single body. The way it plays it out, it's more like the code upgrade simply merges all the programs currently running in a given chassis into one cohesive mind.

ME3's writing really starts to fall apart after Tuchanka.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

It's even sillier than that: the Reaper code upgrades are described as having evolved each and every semi-sapient geth program into its own independent, fully-fledged AI. Legion identifying itself as a singular being makes no sense in that context, if anything it would have become a thousand different minds inhabiting a single body.

The way it plays it out, it's more like the code upgrade simply merges all the programs currently running in a given chassis into one cohesive mind.

Yeah, a good point. It bothered me too that Legion is like, "so beautiful, we desire a brain that works like an organic person's and would do anything to achieve it" - it felt like a Pinocchio-esque desire to be a real boy cropping up suddenly, and exclusively, because the standard narrative arc for a robot character is that they have to become a person in the most recognisable sense in order to complete their character development.

Like, the way the geth achieved sapience is an interesting sci-fi conceit that has enabled them to surpass organic achievements and construct a functional society. You can create a justification for why they might want to be individual minds instead of a gestalt, but there's very little foreshadowing for that being the case and given how cliche a development it is, it mostly just feels like someone who didn't really "get" the geth was writing the Rannoch storyline.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The same thing happens with EDI, where she does the whole fish-out-of-water Bicentennial Man trying to learn how to love routine for much of her ME3 character development. It just feels like a lazy way to write AI characters, making their sole drive an uncomplicated desire to be "human" and their storylines about their progress towards that goal.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
yeah honestly for a series whose message is "diversity and our differences make us strong" the treatment of the Geth in ME3 rings false. It's good that Shepard can find common ground with a weirdo gestalt consciousness

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Android Blues posted:

The same thing happens with EDI, where she does the whole fish-out-of-water Bicentennial Man trying to learn how to love routine for much of her ME3 character development. It just feels like a lazy way to write AI characters, making their sole drive an uncomplicated desire to be "human" and their storylines about their progress towards that goal.

I’ve always kinda wondered how a dude with brittle bone disease is supposed to gently caress a robot.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

I’ve always kinda wondered how a dude with brittle bone disease is supposed to gently caress a robot.

Mordin has a conversation about this. He recommends a great deal of cushioning.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Ysehij3Lw

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Julius CSAR posted:

Buddy...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

OhFunny posted:

I've been thinking of choices I should make this go around and I think I've settled on being a gently caress up.

I played as a paragon male solider who did basically a perfect run, so for the remaster I'll be a renegade female adept(?) who's just terrible. Skip recruiting Garrus, kill Wrex etc.

Edit: hmmm going to have to look up the minimum number of party members needed to make it through the suicide mission and who the worst ones to keep alive are. Jacob obviously makes the cut.

I reinstalled Mass Effect 1 and turns out I did a renegade femShep fail run.

I'm going to have to think of something else. Maybe a paragon who just makes all the wrong decisions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Julius CSAR posted:

I do like how he specifically mentions it being his lower half in ME1 only for 2 to reveal actually it's full blown boneitis.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

In retrospect they probably should have made some of the tougher choices from ME1/2 harder to resolve, it's much too easy to save everyone and ME3 is a more interesting game with some of the cast dead.

Yeah its way too easy to paragon your way to saving everyone.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
My plans had always been that I'd go into ME3 with the results of my first playthrough of the suicide mission. That meant I had to go through the game without Garrus, Mordin and Zaeed.

And you know what? It worked. The suicide mission definitely had an impact on the storyline, and ME3 carried on pretty well without them.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Baron von der Loon posted:

My plans had always been that I'd go into ME3 with the results of my first playthrough of the suicide mission. That meant I had to go through the game without Garrus, Mordin and Zaeed.

And you know what? It worked. The suicide mission definitely had an impact on the storyline, and ME3 carried on pretty well without them.

Yeah, my first run of ME3 had Wrex dead from Ashley shooting him in ME1, and honestly Wreav being around makes the Tuchanka plotline really tense and exciting. It's great in any configuration, but the krogan being lead by a warmongering strongman really makes the choices around the genophage and your relationship with Eve feel crucial. It's not just "fix your friend Wrex's problem", you have to weigh the danger presented by Wreav with correcting this historic wrong.

I think ME3 got slated, sometimes unfairly, for not being reactive enough, but it actually has crazy extreme reactivity. It drops the ball on the finale's reactivity, but elsewhere there are so many wrinkles and extra scenes and alternative outcomes based on your actions in ME3 and in prior games that it's seriously impressive.

Like, if Garrus has to shoot Kaidan on the Citadel, there's an extra scene where you find Garrus staring at Kaidan's name on the memorial wall and then commiserate together about how you wish it didn't have to be this way. So few players are going to see that, but it's such a good moment.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, my first run of ME3 had Wrex dead from Ashley shooting him in ME1, and honestly Wreav being around makes the Tuchanka plotline really tense and exciting. It's great in any configuration, but the krogan being lead by a warmongering strongman really makes the choices around the genophage and your relationship with Eve feel crucial. It's not just "fix your friend Wrex's problem", you have to weigh the danger presented by Wreav with correcting this historic wrong.

I think ME3 got slated, sometimes unfairly, for not being reactive enough, but it actually has crazy extreme reactivity. It drops the ball on the finale's reactivity, but elsewhere there are so many wrinkles and extra scenes and alternative outcomes based on your actions in ME3 and in prior games that it's seriously impressive.

Like, if Garrus has to shoot Kaidan on the Citadel, there's an extra scene where you find Garrus staring at Kaidan's name on the memorial wall and then commiserate together about how you wish it didn't have to be this way. So few players are going to see that, but it's such a good moment.

Yeah that's sort of what I was getting at earlier. So much of the cool reactivity stuff is entirely based around Shepard making mistakes. But I think it's pretty safe to say a huge chunk of people won't see that because either they picked the right option or they're playing with a guide or whatever

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Mass Effect 3 is dope

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It really is. I just did the Grissom Atrium battle as an Adept with a Mattock and Hurricane. It reminded me of Gold solos in all the best ways. Christ it was a tough fight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I absolutely adore like 90% of ME3 and it has the absolute best combat, and it does kinda suck that the ending (and a couple of the subplot moments like the Rachni Queen stuff completely negating a meaningful choice in ME1) overshadowed so much that was good about it... though also to be fair they REALLY hosed that ending up. Thankfully the canonical and universally accepted ending is now that Shepard hammered the Destroy button 0.000000000002 of a second after they were told about it, survived the aftermath, recuperated and then had a party on the Citadel :hai:

Also, EDI being turned into a lady-bot seemed like it completely flew in the face of not just her characterization but Joker's from ME2, which bugs me a lot since I loved their dynamic in 2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I did a lot of stupid poo poo to drag the geth and quarians collective asses to the finish line, gently caress blowing them up.

The galaxy can deal with a Reaper manning the cashier at Space Burger King.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Welcome to space Burger King

WHOOOOOOONNNNNNNKKKKKKK

Your order is ready

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Shepard-Reaper assimilates the lovely Shepard VI and uplifts it into a fully-fledged SynthShep, bing bong Shepard is alive for Mass Effect 4. :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Bloody Pom posted:

Shepard-Reaper assimilates the lovely Shepard VI and uplifts it into a fully-fledged SynthShep, bing bong Shepard is alive for Mass Effect 4. :v:

That's dumb enough that somebody at Bioware is now, or has, legitimately put it out there as an idea for 4.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, a good point. It bothered me too that Legion is like, "so beautiful, we desire a brain that works like an organic person's and would do anything to achieve it" - it felt like a Pinocchio-esque desire to be a real boy cropping up suddenly, and exclusively, because the standard narrative arc for a robot character is that they have to become a person in the most recognisable sense in order to complete their character development.

Like, the way the geth achieved sapience is an interesting sci-fi conceit that has enabled them to surpass organic achievements and construct a functional society. You can create a justification for why they might want to be individual minds instead of a gestalt, but there's very little foreshadowing for that being the case and given how cliche a development it is, it mostly just feels like someone who didn't really "get" the geth was writing the Rannoch storyline.

From Legion's dialogue in ME2 I always got the sense that it was less that the Geth wanted an organic brain, and more that they - as a collection of VI's who could combine to form AI's - were jealous of the Reapers who were each a collection of Ai's who could combine to form a "nation", as Legion puts it. It's the difference between a group of cells that can come together to form an organism, and a collection of organisms that can come together to form a society. In that way the Reapers were a level of consciousness above the Geth, and the Geth wanted to take that next evolutionary step.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

ErrEff posted:

They were actually making this and then cancelled it. No joke, because Bioware is beyond parody at this point.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Bloody Pom posted:

This version of Shepard is the villain of the story, its heroic programming undone by trying to reconcile the logical paradox of all of them being Shepard's favorite store on the Citadel.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

There's a very early prototype video of a low-res avenger being pointed at a low-res mako somewhere.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bloody Pom posted:

ME3's writing really starts to fall apart after immediately.

Yep. The writing is horrible from the moment it starts.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rockstar Massacre posted:

ME1 has the best gameplay because it's the most RPG and the least cover shooter.

cover shooters are a loving blight and they always were. what a black hole of lovely ideas. ME1's gameplay is, I mean this genuinely; factually and objectively better than Gears of War or whatever anyone's favorite cover shooter is.

This

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If there was going to be a Mass Effect battlefield it was never going to be BioWare making it, you people are crazy. EA probably had DICE put together some prototypes and then said “Nah just make Battlefield 1.”

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

If there was going to be a Mass Effect battlefield it was never going to be BioWare making it, you people are crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7JWObksqs

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t deny it existed. But an RPG developer wasn’t going to be the one to make it and wasn’t the one who decided whether or not to make it.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I would play the hell out of a Mass Effect FPS, not gonna lie. As long as it wasn't mired with microtransahahaha this is EA we're talking about of course they'd Battlefront II it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Consider this: rear end effect

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tithin posted:

SWEET JESUS!

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 10, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

tithin posted:

Didn't know Miranda's character designer posted here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://youtu.be/-WENBDwtdGY

It seems a bit glitchy for some reason but you get the idea

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
A multiplayer Mass Effect FPS wouldn't work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shirkelton posted:

A multiplayer Mass Effect FPS wouldn't work.

Just reskin 2142.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Error 404 posted:

That's dumb enough that somebody at Bioware is now, or has, legitimately put it out there as an idea for 4.

Still keeping a sidebet on the player being Shep and everyone's overjoyed to see you yadda yadda...

..except you're actually the spare parts evil clone who survived falling out the Normandy and smashing into a building at 600mph. Continue being friendless rear end in a top hat Shep, or make the most of the opportunity that's accidentally been handed to you and hope no one notices.

"Wait, Shepard - what happened to all your cybernetic upgrades? And why didn't you recognise Kolyat?"

Make sad puppy eyes and fess up

Push Liara out the airlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EGM is really loving good