Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I saw Bix say this earlier on Twitter, but Christian's WWECW run is actually some really, really strong work. He had a match with Zack Ryder for the ECW title which I absolutely loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t he once separate his elbow or shoulder while doing his little slap the mat tantrum?

Yes! It was a match against Edge where Randall blocked the Spear (the Spear, the Spear) with a kick and as Edge was reeling the Viper coiled so hard pounding the mat before he struck he dislocated his shoulder.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Edge isn't as interesting an all-around performer as Christian IMO, but I do appreciate the face he makes at the end of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHHk4zERyU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Suplex Liberace posted:

Who invented the draping DDT? Was it Randy Orton?

It was Jake "The Drape" Roberts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

1glitch0 posted:

It was Jake "The Drape" Roberts.

My Drape DDT spells curtains for you! :arghfist:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I can’t stop laughing at this stupid bastard because it took falling down two flights of stairs while moving to break my shoulder.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Apparently Orton has some kind of shoulder condition where his are way more injury prone. Remember when he hurt his shoulder taking out the trash a couple years back?

He also got super sensitive about some reporter calling him frail and went off the rails threatening to headbutt the guy's teeth down his throat.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Royal Updog posted:

My Drape DDT spells curtains for you! :arghfist:

That's drat good. lol

What a different gimmick that could have been!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Even funnier than this were the dainty little punches he threw at the bit when he was setting up for the RKO on his first match back.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Lamuella posted:

My question in response is: at what?

I think that Christian is a better wrestler and a better talker, but Edge has this really strong intangible. I look at Christian and see a great wrestler. I look at Edge and see a star.

In just thinking about some online discourse regarding the two about how Edge was initially asked to come to AEW and then some time later, Christian was brought in. For like a relatively new company like AEW, would Edge be a better acquisition because of his fame among other intangibles he could bring or would Christian be a better get for a company even if he may not be as popular?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Edge and Christian are both cool Ontario boys with finishers that are extremely bad for very different reasons. I'm also pretty sure that nothing Christian has ever done were as cool as the tiny circular shades he wore during his early Brood years.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's sad to see Edge and Christian's relationship deteriorate over the years. They used to be brothers, then friends, and now they are just guys who know each other

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's the biggest pop to a surprise wrestler's entrance theme? (I'm more interested in the entrance theme than the wrestler themselves)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Austin's theme hitting when he helped Foley win the belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybuIy0wKXk

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Austin's theme hitting when he helped Foley win the belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybuIy0wKXk

Here's a fun experiment: what would this look like if this were to take place on Raw next week?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Vagabundo posted:

Here's a fun experiment: what would this look like if this were to take place on Raw next week?

I mean, a lot slower for a start.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Ok so the main thing I know would happen, the camera would have cut to the crowd reaction during the actual pin. They would for sure be panning across the crowd instead of the actual catharsis happening in the ring.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The least over person at the time in that entire segment is HHH lol

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Seams posted:

The least over person at the time in that entire segment is HHH lol

I dunno if it's a result of my own bias or whatever, but recently watching 98-00, HHH is overrated as all gently caress. I'm shocked that The Rock isn't in a wheelchair because he's carrying the main event scene on his loving back until Austin comes back.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Lily Catts posted:

What's the biggest pop to a surprise wrestler's entrance theme? (I'm more interested in the entrance theme than the wrestler themselves)

Cena's surprise return at the Rumble a few years ago, when everyone was convinced Big Show would be #30.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

13 years ago :hehe:

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

I dunno if it's a result of my own bias or whatever, but recently watching 98-00, HHH is overrated as all gently caress. I'm shocked that The Rock isn't in a wheelchair because he's carrying the main event scene on his loving back until Austin comes back.

No this is fair. Dude had a ton of chances and prior to the Foley feud he was totally uninteresting unless he was facing the Rock. Guy had like 10 months where he wasn’t a total bore and it was mostly cuz the entire company was booked around him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Where did "He just likes to have fun!" thing come from? I'm assuming Michael Cole has said it on at least one occasion, but it is a common thing now? And did he really use it with Riddle?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SLUM KING posted:

No this is fair. Dude had a ton of chances and prior to the Foley feud he was totally uninteresting unless he was facing the Rock. Guy had like 10 months where he wasn’t a total bore and it was mostly cuz the entire company was booked around him

Eh, to his credit, face DX lead by him might be the only face stable in a US company that I have ever liked (I don't really count the Horsemen since all their face runs are pretty brief and usually involve fighting off invading groups like J-Tex and the nWo).

In fact, this might be a hot take, but I like him way better as a face than heel, it also suits him better for in-ring because he absolutely lacks the offence to go 20-30 minutes like he prefers to do as a heel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The earliest instance I can recall is when Albert became a face out of nowhere and started teaming up with Scotty 2 Hotty. The logic behind the turn and the gimmick itself was "Albert just wants to have fun!" At the time, I thought the team had some legs, as I am inexplicably an Albert mark, but they never did anything with it other than talking up how fun they were while having them lose.

Eventually, Albert just snapped after losing and turned on Scotty. I think this is what led to A-Train.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

The earliest instance I can recall is when Albert became a face out of nowhere and started teaming up with Scotty 2 Hotty. The logic behind the turn and the gimmick itself was "Albert just wants to have fun!" At the time, I thought the team had some legs, as I am inexplicably an Albert mark, but they never did anything with it other than talking up how fun they were while having them lose.

Eventually, Albert just snapped after losing and turned on Scotty. I think this is what led to A-Train.

Might have saved his career, A-Train was probably the most seriously he was ever taken.

It's a shame, because he got pretty good.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

El Gallinero Gros posted:

In fact, this might be a hot take, but I like him way better as a face than heel, it also suits him better for in-ring because he absolutely lacks the offence to go 20-30 minutes like he prefers to do as a heel.

Being a face also better suits his booking where he's cooler and smarter and tougher than everyone else on the roster. His heel Reign of Terror killed my interest in WWE and it never fully recovered.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Gavok posted:

The logic behind the turn and the gimmick itself was "Albert just wants to have fun!"

This and another post about Otis loving having fun made me think: Is there a point in time when WWE's dogshit "[x] just loves to have fun!" gimmick/trope/thing started? It's like the pro wrestling gimmick with the least amount of effort put into it ever, alongside another Vince favorite, "woman who is hot".

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Might have saved his career, A-Train was probably the most seriously he was ever taken.

It's a shame, because he got pretty good.

And even then his only non-jobber wins during that year+ were Mysterio and pre-JBL Bradshaw in random Smackdown matches.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

a cyborg mug posted:

This and another post about Otis loving having fun made me think: Is there a point in time when WWE's dogshit "[x] just loves to have fun!" gimmick/trope/thing started? It's like the pro wrestling gimmick with the least amount of effort put into it ever, alongside another Vince favorite, "woman who is hot".

It was watching some very old Manias, like 5 and 6 and I swear Monsoon said that someone was just there to have fun. Maybe Hacksaw? It seems to be the go-to when they want you on tv as a face but don't really have much for you to do. But it's use has increased exponentially since the 80s.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The earliest I remember is Big Show after Wrestlemania 2000, where he would dance around and dress up in costumes. They might have done it for Rikishi just before that, and I wouldn't be too surprised if it went all the way back to the 80s.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

It was watching some very old Manias, like 5 and 6 and I swear Monsoon said that someone was just there to have fun. Maybe Hacksaw? It seems to be the go-to when they want you on tv as a face but don't really have much for you to do. But it's use has increased exponentially since the 80s.

I believe Junkyard Dog predates it, because he would dance in the ring.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

I believe Junkyard Dog predates it, because he would dance in the ring.

Yup, I think you're right.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
“he just loves to have fun out there” is also kind of a classic trope for black wrestlers they want to give an unthreatening, face-ish character to

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember a story a long time ago (of course, I can't find it now), where someone in WWE was talking about how they held a poll online, something like: "Who do you want to see champion the most?" and out of all the people listed, HHH got the fewest votes, which led to them putting the belt on him, the logic being "it'll piss people off and draw viewers!"

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Couple of questions - I heard ImpactPLUS does not have all the episodes of the old TNA stuff, is this true? I was thinking of watching through what people say are the good years, 05-09, is this also correct?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I watched TNA from 2008 until 2010 and the only good thing about it was AJ Styles and whomever he was wrestling that month. He dragged a brilliant series of matches out of Matt Morgan of all people.

Fake edit: also the Desmond Wolfe vs Kurt Angle series was way better than anything WWE had going on at the time. Helps I'd never seen Nigel McGuiness in ROH before so I was absolutely floored by him.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

There were no "good years" overall for TNA. It was always, from the beginning and all the way through, really really dumb. However, they did put on a great in ring product for a long time. AJ Styles, Chris Daniels, and Samoa Joe in their primes. Raven and Rhino at the tail end of what they had to offer. A lot of X-Division guys in general really who were a lot of fun but wouldn't go on to have a big name outside of TNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Davros1 posted:

I remember a story a long time ago (of course, I can't find it now), where someone in WWE was talking about how they held a poll online, something like: "Who do you want to see champion the most?" and out of all the people listed, HHH got the fewest votes, which led to them putting the belt on him, the logic being "it'll piss people off and draw viewers!"

This also happened before Corbin's KOTR, he had the least votes by a huge margin lol