Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

When Obi-wan says "I have the high ground" what he's communicating in short-hand is that the fight sequence has gone on long enough to bore everyone and they need to advance the plot to where Anakin receives enough bodily harm to require emergency treatment without anaesthesia at the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Centre and immediate living entombment in a poorly-funded but highly polished suit of armour designed to inject him with centipede juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I can't believe George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy may control the fate of the middle east!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

There once was a man named Darth Plagueis, who was King of the sith!

He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams!

Before they hung him from the gallows, these were the final words he said:

"My fortune is yours for the taking, but you'll have to find it first
I left everything I own in the dark side of the force..."

Ever since, sith from all over the galaxy set sail for the Outer Rim, searching for the dark side;

The treasure that would make their dreams come true!

YO!
Ya-yo, ya-yo!

Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Anakin!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Obiwan!
Dreamin'! Don't give it up, Padme!
Dreamin'!
Don't give it, give it up, give it up, give it up
Give it up, give it up, give it up, give it UP!

Here's how the story goes, we find out
'bout a treasure in the Outer Rim, there's no doubt
The Jedi whose eye is on it, he'll sing
I'll be King of the Sith, I'm gonna be King!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo... oh-ho!

His name is Anakin!
That's Anakin Skywalker!
Gonna be king of the Sith!
He's made of sand!
How did that happen?
Yo-ho-ho, he took a bite of Suna Suna!

Ya-yo, ya-yo!

His name's Obiwan, he's just like a Jedi
And a L-A-D-Y, Padme's not shy
R2s doin' that marksman thing
Jarjar's cookin', C3PO's doctoring!

Ya-yo, ya-yo, ya-yo, oh-ho!

Set sail for the Star Wars!
It'll stop people, you love from dying!
In the Outer Rim!
Ya-yo, ya-yo...

Set sail for Star Wars!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

That was the worst post I have ever made and I've made some real stinkers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

These droids are pawns!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Pigbuster posted:

Precisely 3 years after their first episode, the Shrieking Shack podcast has finally completed their readthrough/critique of the Harry Potter series.

https://twitter.com/shriekcast/status/1368969765843136513

Dredging this up from a few pages back but I'm about half way through this episode and really enjoying it in a grim sort of way and can't wait for them to look at Cursed Child and in all its own farts huffing glory.

Also goddamn, I always knew about the epilogue from second hand but it's truly, truly sad that the best ending that Rowling could imagine for these characters and their world is the status quo being restored, and Harry's gang growing up into boring middle class, middle aged middle Englanders. And all that makes a whole lot of sense when you take into account her political leanings, with British Centrism and TERFism both being the domain of that particular (white) demographic, who've achieved a boring level of comfort and have resolved to pull the ladder up so they may keep it jealously.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'll never forget the genuine massive argument I started in my friend group back when we were young just by repeating the 'Harry Potter is a story about a jock who grows up to be a cop and marry a girl he met in high school, if it were a single movie he'd be played by Mark Wahlberg' joke

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

I liked Watson's character better than Sherlock's in the few episodes of BBC Sherlock I watched and was sad to find out he basically does nothing but constantly get kidnapped and act like a bumbling fool to make Sherlock look smart. I get that Watson being thick is pretty true to the books, but still.

That's fair, but even if I could skim out ~25-30% of each episode because I only cared about the book bits (and that may not end up being the case) that's still what, ~300 hours of listen? idk it's giving me the same insurmountability vibes as the time I was told I should really get into One Piece, and I'd get through the first two arcs before realizing I still have like another 800 chapters to read and just lose interest.

Okay, but there's no one forcing you to stick to anything. Learn to sample things! It takes till episode 28; Prisoner of Azkaban chapters 19-22 to start hitting those terrifying 3 hour lengths that you're scared of. Most before are about an hour and a half maybe two, rarely.

Return to enjoying media before Netflix and streaming, watch a random episode of something who cares if that's the first episode or not, just do it to see if you like the show!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RareAcumen posted:

Okay, but there's no one forcing you to stick to anything. Learn to sample things! It takes till episode 28; Prisoner of Azkaban chapters 19-22 to start hitting those terrifying 3 hour lengths that you're scared of. Most before are about an hour and a half maybe two, rarely.

Return to enjoying media before Netflix and streaming, watch a random episode of something who cares if that's the first episode or not, just do it to see if you like the show!

lmao what the gently caress, how does wanting to consume something in sequential order or not at all have anything to do with Netflix? That's just always how I've liked to consume media, get off your high horse :jerkbag:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
kids these days unwilling to open up a book at the middle and read the pages backwards

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Has anyone listened to Chip and Ironicus’ new JoJo podcast? Is it worth listening to of you haven’t and probably aren’t going to watch the show?

RareAcumen posted:

This is a nice thought actually. I often find myself unwilling to try things if I can’t get “the full experience.”

Sydin posted:

lmao what the gently caress, how does wanting to consume something in sequential order or not at all have anything to do with Netflix? That's just always how I've liked to consume media, get off your high horse :jerkbag:

Uuuuh. What? I’m really confused as to how you took offense to that post. It seems like a friendly suggestion to me. Am I reading it wrong?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yeah Sydin's post seemed unnecessarily hostile to me too

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Reflecting on it, at least TPM was a decent enough individual movie. It meanders and fucks around too much and it was the birth of "OH MY GOD, Anakin made C-3PO and R2-D2 is Darth Vader's wife's droid, isn't that cool!" But there's a decent little adventure movie hiding out in it. AotC is a nothing movie that's only worth is its role in the trilogy and I remember not liking Revenge of the Sith when it came out because it was so focused on building the creaky bridge to Episode 4.

my issue with TPM apart from the poo poo thats been gone over is that it feels like a bunch of vertical slices of different movies/concepts thrown in one movie. like the first 10 min feels more like a cold open/in medias res type deal. idk.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

And yet KOTOR 2 discourse is blessed. It's a land of contrasts.

i like kotor 2 but it feels a little to up its own rear end at times even though i like its disection of themes of the francise. my issue is with the whole "main writer was a massive poo poo bag" i am curious how much of kreias opinions are supposed to be viewed uncritically. that being said. i like kreia.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Until someone comes in and starts moaning about how Kreia is just a soapbox for Avellone to complain about all he stuff he doesn't like in Star Wars rather than being that but also being a crazy manipulative sociopath who literally wants to murder the author and fight against the constraints of being a fictional character.

yay, its me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ariong posted:

Uuuuh. What? I’m really confused as to how you took offense to that post. It seems like a friendly suggestion to me. Am I reading it wrong?

I didn't appreciate being told Netflix ruined my brain because I wanted to start a podcast from the beginning instead of jumping into the middle of it. My brain is just wired that way: if I just jumped into the PoA episodes or whatever as was suggested I'd constantly be worried I'm missing some kind of context. :shrug: I'm the kind of person who - back in the day when I'd catch shows on TV - if I watched a new episode of something and it caught my eye I would stop watching until it looped back to the first episode, and then watch from there.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ariong posted:

Has anyone listened to Chip and Ironicus’ new JoJo podcast? Is it worth listening to of you haven’t and probably aren’t going to watch the show?

Like most podcasts about a subject it helps if you know a little about it or watch along, but if you're a fan of their regular commentary it's still very good and they do a good job of describing things so it's easy enough to follow along.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

SpiritualDeath posted:

Ok I can't remember where I found this video. Hopefully it was from my Recommended tab and I'm not just reposting something I saw in this thread lmao

Jessie Gender - Sia's Music: The Trap of Symbolic Autistic Representation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138y6mtgll8

I guess because I watched and liked this video last week Youtube recommended me this video which goes into even more ways that Sia's Music is offensive :catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=assTcKA44Qg

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

All the flowery language I'm trying to dress it up in aside, what I was tying to say was 'Just check it out. You don't have to commit to listening to the entire podcast if you don't want to.'

I've always had the opposite opinion on that stuff as long as it wasn't a comic book. (Because they keep it confusing with crossovers and resets and big events and dropping series and etc. etc.) If I were to watch Supernatural right now and find out that I like it I'd be thrilled! There's 15 seasons of that loving show, I have something I can watch and not finish for 2 and half years!

I love finding stuff that's long finished that I don't have to wait for new episodes of. :)

Ariong posted:

I have watched Jojo up to part 4 so I might be biased but I think they're doing a fine job of summarizing the episodes. A few minor details get muddled here and there but it's okay, they're talking about the frog punching anime, it's not helicopter construction or anything important where the smallest details not properly conveyed have dire consequences for people.

If I can make a suggestion, when they get real excited or start laughing and repeating something a lot, open up another tab and Google what they're talking about. It's one thing for them to say and describe that Jonathan is gigantic, but you should get a picture too and see that he actually looks like the Juggernaut but 20% smaller.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 10, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RareAcumen posted:

All the flowery language I'm trying to dress it up in aside, what I was tying to say was 'Just check it out. You don't have to commit to listening to the entire podcast if you don't want to.'

I've always had the opposite opinion on that stuff as long as it wasn't a comic book. (Because they keep it confusing with crossovers and resets and big events and dropping series and etc. etc.) If I were to watch Supernatural right now and find out that I like it I'd be thrilled! There's 15 seasons of that loving show, I have something I can watch and not finish for 2 and half years!

I love finding stuff that's long finished that I don't have to wait for new episodes of. :)

That's fair enough, and I'm sorry if I came off as overly hostile. I just get uncomfortable trying to jump into the middle of things - particularly long running things - because I'm constantly anxious I'm missing some context or element from previous material that would have upped my enjoyment and/or understanding of what it is I'm consuming at that moment. It may not be entirely rational - hell it isn't rational - but it's how I have to roll.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

bobjr posted:

Like most podcasts about a subject it helps if you know a little about it or watch along, but if you're a fan of their regular commentary it's still very good and they do a good job of describing things so it's easy enough to follow along.

RareAcumen posted:

I have watched Jojo up to part 4 so I might be biased but I think they're doing a fine job of summarizing the episodes. A few minor details get muddled here and there but it's okay, they're talking about the frog punching anime, it's not helicopter construction or anything important.

If I can make a suggestion, when they get real excited or start laughing and repeating something a lot, open up another tab and Google what they're talking about. It's one thing for them to say and describe that Jonathan is gigantic, but you should get a picture too and see that he actually looks like the Juggernaut but 20% smaller.

Cool I’ll have to check it out, thanks!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I think everyone should listen. And leave a review now that it’s finally listed on Apple Podcasts. And then tell me I’m a very good boy.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

Ever since, sith from all over the galaxy set sail for the Outer Rim, searching for the dark side;

YO!
Ya-yo, ya-yo!

Dreamin'!

His name is Anakin!
That's Anakin Skywalker!
He's made of sand!
How did that happen?

Ya-yo, ya-yo!

In the Outer Rim!
Ya-yo, ya-yo...

Set sail for Star Wars!

:emptyquote:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The part I want to see is Ironicus's discussion when Jojo has a friendly Nazi character, since he's going in blind and Chip knows ahead of time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sydin posted:

That's fair enough, and I'm sorry if I came off as overly hostile. I just get uncomfortable trying to jump into the middle of things - particularly long running things - because I'm constantly anxious I'm missing some context or element from previous material that would have upped my enjoyment and/or understanding of what it is I'm consuming at that moment. It may not be entirely rational - hell it isn't rational - but it's how I have to roll.

That's fine, we all have our bugbears to deal with. I didn't meant to put you in a tight spot or anything.

And for what it's worth, I don't think Netflix broke your brain. I think this thread did. To all of us. Because of the constant Snyder and Star Wars derails.

bobjr posted:

The part I want to see is Ironicus's discussion when Jojo has a friendly Nazi character, since he's going in blind and Chip knows ahead of time.

I'm just trying to remember when another dog shows up, because I only remember two and we're like 20 podcast episodes away from that happening...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

General Ironicus posted:

I think everyone should listen. And leave a review now that it’s finally listed on Apple Podcasts. And then tell me I’m a very good boy.
I forgot you and Chip got those UC3 Avatars :allears:

The FF7R LP is great btw!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

General Ironicus posted:

I'll add it to my ever growing pile of podcasts to listen to while I work from home.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Jamie Faith posted:

star wars is good

star wars discourse is cursed

Honestly the culture war aspect of the discourse involving the sequel trilogy is worse than the prequel trilogy discourse as a whole. I can understand disliking the sequels but if I hear about SJW/feminism/woke bullshit again I'm just going to take a walk.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Honestly the culture war aspect of the discourse involving the sequel trilogy is worse than the prequel trilogy discourse as a whole. I can understand disliking the sequels but if I hear about SJW/feminism/woke bullshit again I'm just going to take a walk.

I would pay a reasonable sum of money to have a peek into an alternate universe where the sequels came out as-is in like, say, 2009-2011-2013 to see how they would have been reacted to by nerds before the Great Grognard Awakening Of Summer 2014 that radicalized them into the roiling rage ball they are today.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

nine-gear crow posted:

I would pay a reasonable sum of money to have a peek into an alternate universe where the sequels came out as-is in like, say, 2009-2011-2013 to see how they would have been reacted to by nerds before the Great Grognard Awakening Of Summer 2014 that radicalized them into the roiling rage ball they are today.

If we're talking alternate universes, I want one where the prequels and sequels came out in in reverse. So the new trilogy back then, and the prequels now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Until someone comes in and starts moaning about how Kreia is just a soapbox for Avellone to complain about all he stuff he doesn't like in Star Wars rather than being that but also being a crazy manipulative sociopath who literally wants to murder the author and fight against the constraints of being a fictional character.

I benched Kreia so fast in just about every playthrough of KOTOR2 I've ever had, every time she'd telepathic zoom call me I just imagined swatting at her voice like a mosquito.

General Ironicus posted:

Also you and Chip rule.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 10, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

If we're talking alternate universes, I want one where the prequels and sequels came out in in reverse. So the new trilogy back then, and the prequels now.

You know, that makes a lot of sense. Too bad the prequels came because Lucas back then feared he'd never have the budget or time to make the sequels he wanted to make.

Though if we're talking alternate universes, if movies were reversed Lucas would make the sequels and some other guys the prequels, wonder what that would do to the films?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

General Ironicus posted:

Ok, I'm going to ask what is potentially a very dumb question - I use Player fm to listen to most of my podcasts, but I can't find the podcast there. Is there a particular reason for this behind it isn't shared with PlayerFM, or am I just being a dumbo?

Also, you are a good boy and Mokie (sp?) is a good girl.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Not gonna lie, I did a double take the first time Mokie was mentioned in History Honeys since it's the usual short form of my online handle.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jamie Faith posted:

YO!
Ya-yo, ya-yo!

Dreamin'!

His name is Anakin!
That's Anakin Skywalker!
He's made of sand!
How did that happen?

Ya-yo, ya-yo!

In the Outer Rim!
Ya-yo, ya-yo...

Set sail for Star Wars!

Considering how huge the Straw Hat Pirates are now I wanna see how well that rap would flow in newer One Piece

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
My sad Kotor 2 story is that I decided to play it unmodded first because I was curious how unfinished it really was. When I got to the final cut-scene, something glitched and the entire conversation started automatically skipping, and I had no way of stopping that, the only way for me to make sense of what was happening was reading mc's dialogue lines. After the cut-scene was over I managed to look into the log but it didn't save the entire cut-scene because it was too long. And on top of that the sound glitched as well, so that cut-scene, final cinematic and credits were all silent. Only thing I heard was a sad trombone noise in my head :(

I have yet to play the game with the restored content mod but I still can't get to do it, especially since there were some bits that I found really tedious to get through, even before the final planet

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Libluini posted:

You know, that makes a lot of sense. Too bad the prequels came because Lucas back then feared he'd never have the budget or time to make the sequels he wanted to make.

Though if we're talking alternate universes, if movies were reversed Lucas would make the sequels and some other guys the prequels, wonder what that would do to the films?

I think the answer to that lies in The Last Jedi and the reaction to that film. Because it’s the one film out of the three that hews the closest to Lucas’s original story treatment for the sequels. So you would have had a rendingly divisive slate of films filtered through the storytelling talent or lack thereof of Late 90s/Early 00s George Lucas and LucasFilm Ltd.

And I think you kind of get the same result after that, Lucas tells the fans to get stuffed and sells Star Wars to the highest willing bidder in order to just be rid of it because no one appreciates it anymore, rightly or wrongly. Then whatever studio picks up the cup after the cheque clears makes the safest, blandest, most focus-tested Original Trilogy-aping production they can crank out to try and cater to fan nostalgia and win back trust after the Lucas Sequels... and folks still lose their minds because [gestures to the last ten years]

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Libluini posted:

Robothead Luke Skywalker. :getin:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

bobjr posted:

I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but I think it’s safe to say we get into it, almost to the point of dominating the conversation across our part 2 episodes.

Samovar posted:

Ok, I'm going to ask what is potentially a very dumb question - I use Player fm to listen to most of my podcasts, but I can't find the podcast there. Is there a particular reason for this behind it isn't shared with PlayerFM, or am I just being a dumbo?

Thank you! And I guess the answer was just a little more patience, it’s there now: https://player.fm/series/bizarre-podcast-dogs-must-die

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

Thank you! And I guess the answer was just a little more patience, it’s there now: https://player.fm/series/bizarre-podcast-dogs-must-die

Hell. Yes. Onto the Smart Watch it goes!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm so tired of all these Star Wars...

...but I still want to play KOTOR II one of these days. Need to play KOTOR I, though, but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Despite defending the Shrieking Shack constantly, for the last few pages, a few things do bother me that I've gotta get out of my system.

God I cannot stand when they boil the story down to the mechanics, it just frustrates me to no end. 'Oh boy, it's time to search for object! Oh man, I love object' it just drives me up a loving wall. That and they were talking about how things an actions used to mean things but then just became their mechanical uses and nothing else like the Polyjuice Potion or the Patronus.

But then we get to Deathly Hallows and everyone's got the former whenever they want 4 times in 15 chapters already and then everyone's sending patronuses around like they're text messages and it really just shows how fast the entire magic system falls apart when you have to think about it seriously and it wasn't very well set up beforehand anyway. I've hit the camping section of the book and they're struggling to catch food and cook it and I'm like, 'Can't you guys just collect a pile of leaves and grass and turn those into spices and make the food cook and season itself automatically?'