Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Thanks.

Dear god, I'm apparently so out of HTML/CSS, it ain't funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
If you only need a layout where everything goes in one direction (think HTML tables with colspans), then you can do it with flexbox (less complicated) without needing grid stuff. You only really need CSS grids when you've got arbitrarily arranged elements you want to lay out without getting into pixel size stuff.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
You should learn to use both grid and flexbox and use whichever makes the most sense for what you want to achieve. They also work well together.

I found these cheat sheets very useful:
https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/a-guide-to-flexbox/
https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/complete-guide-grid/

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Roadie posted:

If you only need a layout where everything goes in one direction (think HTML tables with colspans), then you can do it with flexbox (less complicated) without needing grid stuff. You only really need CSS grids when you've got arbitrarily arranged elements you want to lay out without getting into pixel size stuff.
I don't see how flexbox maps to a table with colspans (based on the flexbox cheat sheet just linked).

Flexbox seems maybe as easy to use as table but doesn't seem able to link the width of stuff in a new row with the width of stuff from the previous row. For example, I don't think you could do this layout with Flexbox:
code:
Corner   | Three     | Corner
---------+ Rows of   +--------
Left     | stuff     |   Right
---------+ that auto +--------
Corner   | wrap      | Corner
Grid looks like it could probably do this okay, it just looks like a horrifying verbose nightmare to use compared to table. Also not sure about its ability to magically find the most efficient width ratios like table does, I've always struggled to find any css that can pull off that trick as reliably as table.

Edit: also looks like if you use grid to represent actual tabular data then to add a row you have to also edit the grid template?

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 9, 2021

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

You can nest flexboxes. It wont have the *authorizing* rigidity of the row and column sizing that tables have, but if you need that, you have tables.

The particular example above would be three for boxes. Main row one with three cells, and two column ones in the first and last of those cells main flex box cells.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Just going to state the obvious in case it's been missed. If you're actually displaying tabular data, like a list or something, then you should just use plain old tables.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

go play outside Skyler posted:

Just going to state the obvious in case it's been missed. If you're actually displaying tabular data, like a list or something, then you should just use plain old tables.

Okay Gramps. I'll just get in my time machine and go back to the 90s....

(I completely agree, btw)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

roomforthetuna posted:

I don't see how flexbox maps to a table with colspans (based on the flexbox cheat sheet just linked).

Flexbox seems maybe as easy to use as table but doesn't seem able to link the width of stuff in a new row with the width of stuff from the previous row. For example, I don't think you could do this layout with Flexbox:
code:
Corner   | Three     | Corner
---------+ Rows of   +--------
Left     | stuff     |   Right
---------+ that auto +--------
Corner   | wrap      | Corner
Grid looks like it could probably do this okay, it just looks like a horrifying verbose nightmare to use compared to table. Also not sure about its ability to magically find the most efficient width ratios like table does, I've always struggled to find any css that can pull off that trick as reliably as table.

Edit: also looks like if you use grid to represent actual tabular data then to add a row you have to also edit the grid template?

HTML code:
<div style="display: flex; flex-direction: row;">
  <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; justify-content: space-between;">
    <div>Corner</div>
    <div>Left</div>
    <div>Corner</div>
  </div>
  <div style="flex: 1">Three Rows of stuff that auto wrap</div>
  <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column; justify-content: space-between;">
    <div>Corner</div>
    <div>Right</div>
    <div>Corner</div>
  </div>
</div>
Being able to set arbitrary flex values is what I mean by the analogy to colspan. You can have a set of elements with flex: 1; and then one with flex: 2; to take up double the size in the flex direction.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 10, 2021

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Roadie posted:

Being able to set arbitrary flex values is what I mean by the analogy to colspan. You can have a set of elements with flex: 1; and then one with flex: 2; to take up double the size in the flex direction.
Ah, that makes more sense.

Your rendition of my "doesn't work" example happens to work if the contents are literally the word "corner" in every corner, but it doesn't work if the top left corner is "corner\on two lines" and the top right corner is "corner", and you wanted those horizontal lines to be aligned, which is what I meant. Sorry it wasn't that clear.

I specifically use this layout on a website to make some header content that looks like a horizontal band across the middle row, with an overlaid segment, kind of like a belt and belt-buckle. Having the side columns arrange their heights independently breaks the 'belt'. I used a table because I made the website like 20 years ago, not sure if it would be 'cleaner' as a css grid (maybe a little because the components could be ordered more logically rather than having the 'buckle' content first [given the top left cell is empty]), but I don't really see any firm reason to not use a table for layout.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

roomforthetuna posted:

but I don't really see any firm reason to not use a table for layout.

There are tons of reasons. With flexbox and grid, it’s easier to re-order elements, it’s easier to program responsive sizes, your markup is more semantically correct, and there’s far less boilerplate in your template files.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

fsif posted:

There are tons of reasons. With flexbox and grid, it’s easier to re-order elements, it’s easier to program responsive sizes, your markup is more semantically correct, and there’s far less boilerplate in your template files.
But far more boilerplate in your css files. Or, far more boilerplate in your template files if you do it like the recent example above of flexbox failing to achieve the designated layout, with more boilerplate than a table would have used, but I assume that was for simplicity of example and in reality most of the attributes would be in a css file.

Tables do responsive sizes really well by default, css typically requires you to painstakingly tune it to do responsive sizes or it'll do something awful by default.

More semantically correct seems like just opinionated bullshit. How is a table semantically incorrect? It's no more semantically incorrect than a grid being used as a general layout arranger, not as a grid. Table and grid are semantically exactly the same thing in a layout context.

Flexbox is more semantically correct, I'll grant, but if it doesn't do the layout you want then that's not worth anything.

Ease of re-ordering elements is a weird red herring that css people seem really into. How often do you actually go "oh well I want to keep all this content and in the same general layout but put the parts in a different order now"? In over 20 years of doing web things that has never been an issue, and even if it had, copy-pasting a block of text from one place to another is far easier than bollocking around with weird css attributes that you applied 2 years ago and have forgotten what they refer to.

Edit: an actual reason to use new CSS poo poo though, is that if you do that people will think you're good at this stuff, whereas if you use a table for the exact same outcome, people will think you're a grognard dinosaur.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

roomforthetuna posted:

Your rendition of my "doesn't work" example happens to work if the contents are literally the word "corner" in every corner, but it doesn't work if the top left corner is "corner\on two lines" and the top right corner is "corner", and you wanted those horizontal lines to be aligned, which is what I meant. Sorry it wasn't that clear.

I don't really understand what you're trying to describe here, but you can probably do it with flexbox.

code:
<div style="display: flex; flex-direction: row;">
  <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column;">
    <div style="flex: 1; min-height: 1em;">Corner</div>
    <div style="flex: 1; min-height: 1em;">On two lines</div>
    <div style="flex: 10;">Left</div>
  </div>
  <div style="flex: 1">Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vestibulum dictum tortor eu tellus sagittis tincidunt. Mauris non nisi turpis. Donec vestibulum tempor iaculis. Pellentesque id urna in augue feugiat sollicitudin ut sit amet arcu. Nam eu gravida justo. Aliquam justo nibh, elementum sit amet lobortis sed, aliquet quis quam. Fusce fringilla blandit purus, eget tincidunt sapien pretium sit amet.

Suspendisse eget nulla ut tortor iaculis faucibus. Quisque mollis ullamcorper turpis vel rhoncus. Cras sed quam massa. Morbi libero neque, eleifend at aliquam vel, viverra ut mi. Nunc laoreet dui nec condimentum porta. Praesent rutrum porttitor erat, scelerisque dictum metus auctor vitae. Nullam in leo at dolor vehicula interdum. Vivamus sit amet massa luctus, tincidunt tortor vel, dapibus enim. Integer ut neque in diam hendrerit eleifend eget vel mauris. Sed quis ipsum porta, finibus orci et, congue nunc. Aliquam sit amet diam sem. Suspendisse eu laoreet orci. Maecenas viverra mattis purus, auctor mollis sapien rhoncus ac. Cras blandit a mi vel lacinia. Nulla dignissim eget nibh a varius.

Sed id quam sapien. Etiam faucibus enim nisi, id laoreet nisl consectetur eget. In feugiat massa nunc, vel vehicula enim euismod ut. Integer in imperdiet ipsum. Nam a ornare est, ac bibendum velit. Nam sem elit, ornare in magna suscipit, fermentum convallis ipsum. Phasellus scelerisque, massa eu dignissim volutpat, felis lacus placerat libero, quis malesuada eros enim ac nulla. Phasellus placerat euismod facilisis. Curabitur accumsan libero vel felis convallis, nec consequat lacus condimentum. Pellentesque viverra at dui in gravida. Quisque quis ante vel ex euismod tincidunt eu posuere elit. Phasellus velit tortor, gravida id pretium sed, viverra varius felis. Nam ut diam vulputate tellus mattis gravida a eget metus.</div>
  <div style="display: flex; flex-direction: column;">
    <div style="flex: 1; min-height: 1em;"></div>
    <div style="flex: 10;">Right</div>
  </div>
</div>

roomforthetuna posted:

Tables do responsive sizes really well by default

Huh? Tables are awful to try and do layout in for responsive sizes, because as soon as the screen is too small nothing fits and as soon as the screen is too big you've got a ton of whitespace between everything.

roomforthetuna posted:

Ease of re-ordering elements is a weird red herring that css people seem really into. How often do you actually go "oh well I want to keep all this content and in the same general layout but put the parts in a different order now"?

Often. Very often, actually. The simplest example is laying out UI elements in columns that then become a single continuous top-to-bottom layout on mobile.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 10, 2021

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Roadie posted:

I don't really understand what you're trying to describe here, but you can probably do it with flexbox.

code:
    <div style="flex: 1; min-height: 1em;">On two lines</div>
Jesus, no, not that! That is like the exact opposite of what I was describing.

I mean like if the top left corner has an amount of content that happens to wrap in the available space and take up two lines because you've got actual content in there, not specially shaped loving images and buttons that have to be a precise size or nothing works, like how modern design always is.

And the top right corner has an amount of content that happens to not wrap and so does not take up two lines.

And you want the bottoms of both of those sections to be at the same vertical position or it looks poo poo.

And you don't know the wrap constraints in advance because you haven't painstakingly measured everything to the pixel for every possible language combination, so you can't just loving go "well obviously one of them is flex: 2 and the other one is flex 1 lol".

And also if you widen the window such that the top left segment now fits on one line, you want that band to reduce to the height of one line, or if narrowed maybe it goes to three lines, so you can't just go "well we'll just make it big enough to accommodate the most lines it will ever be".

Why yes, I *do* work with designers who give me specs that lay things out like the flexbox but actually have requirements like this so the designs are invalid when the strings change and then have to explain all the actual real constraints to people who don't listen, every goddamn day.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

roomforthetuna posted:

Edit: an actual reason to use new CSS poo poo though, is that if you do that people will think you're good at this stuff, whereas if you use a table for the exact same outcome, people will think you're a grognard dinosaur.

Listen, I hate to be so blunt, but you don’t fundamentally understand the flexbox and grid specs and you don’t appear to have much experience in the way of developing a contemporary web layout.

Tables are a horrible tool for responsive layouts. The columns don’t wrap. If you’re dead set on using tables for a responsive design, you literally need to make a new table—complete with duplicate content—for any new configuration of columns. Even in the pre-flexbox days, developers moved past tables and hacked things together with utility libraries like bootstrap and used floats and clearfixes.

A table is semantically incorrect for layouts because it signifies tabular data. The markup of a grid and a table look nothing alike. You can almost certainly make whatever layout you’ve devised via a table in flexbox.

Items being re-ordered on a different device size happens on every site/app of moderate size I’ve developed for at least the past five years.

Much smarter minds than either of us have spent years creating these specs for the express purpose of addressing the shortcomings of the old specs. The idea that you’ve outsmarted them with a seven cell table is absurd on its face (and, again, incorrect).

Listen to your designers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Personally, I'll take a layout done with tables that actually meets the requirements over something done with flexbox that doesn't.

I mean, conceptually, I agree with the idea that modern CSS should be able to replace tables effectively. But then I see repeated failed attempts at replicating a pretty straightforward table-based layout and I get a bit suspicious as to whether it actually delivers on that idea.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jabor posted:

Personally, I'll take a layout done with tables that actually meets the requirements over something done with flexbox that doesn't.

I mean, conceptually, I agree with the idea that modern CSS should be able to replace tables effectively. But then I see repeated failed attempts at replicating a pretty straightforward table-based layout and I get a bit suspicious as to whether it actually delivers on that idea.

It definitely replaces tables effectively. But if you see a HTML table in your mind's eye, then perhaps the modern (for the past couple decades... ) version doesn't look exactly like that, just like a car doesn't look exactly like what you want when you're used to horses. But it's the car you should be using when you're delivering transport services and the product designer shouldn't need to specify "don't use horses".

:iiaca:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone have a good course or video they can recommend on css grids?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People like this one alot

https://www.leveluptutorials.com/tutorials/modern-css-layouts/css-grid-basic-terminology

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ola posted:

It definitely replaces tables effectively. But if you see a HTML table in your mind's eye, then perhaps the modern (for the past couple decades... ) version doesn't look exactly like that, just like a car doesn't look exactly like what you want when you're used to horses. But it's the car you should be using when you're delivering transport services and the product designer shouldn't need to specify "don't use horses".

:iiaca:

Are you suggesting that I need to change my product design because the new-fangled supposed-to-replace-the-old-way-entirely doesn't actually support the product design I have in mind?

If it doesn't support the product design I have in mind, while the old one does, why should I switch to it? Because the old way offends someone's sensibilities if they peer under the hood to see how it works?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

Are you suggesting that I need to change my product design because the new-fangled supposed-to-replace-the-old-way-entirely doesn't actually support the product design I have in mind?

If it doesn't support the product design I have in mind, why should I switch to it? Because the old way offends someone's sensibilities if they peer under the hood to see how it works?

Tables are for tabular data, using them for anything else these days is pointlessly painful and incompatible with anything more than landscape desktop.

Semantic HTML aside, the part where you mention that "I'll take a layout done with tables that actually meets the requirements" is basically the pain point here, because getting a layout done with tables that works on _more than one exact device type_ is nearly impossible without ludicrous amounts of unnecessary effort, content duplication (sometimes more than quadrupling your response size), etc. Tables have a lot of weird overriding qualities and gotchas that make them unfun and unfeasible to really use in any non-trivial layout.

You could make the argument that a forum might be a two column table consisting of username and post content, but blarghalahrbrgh

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Whoever balks at tables no matter the context should have their dev license revoked. Or at least be required to have a giant, easily visible "L" attached to their monitor.

E: but yeah, don't do layout with tables. If the requirement can only be met by using the tables, the "L" sign needs to go onto that print-designer-who-pretends-to-be-a-web-designer's monitor.

gbut fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 10, 2021

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

gbut posted:

Whoever balks at tables no matter the context should have their dev license revoked. Or at least be required to have a giant, easily visible "L" attached to their monitor.

E: but yeah, don't do layout with tables. If the requirement can only be met by using the tables, the "L" sign needs to go onto that print-designer-who-pretends-to-be-a-web-designer's monitor.

Hurts my soul to see people defending tables. We finally got decent solutions for layout in CSS after years of suffering :negative:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jabor posted:

If it doesn't support the product design I have in mind, while the old one does, why should I switch to it? Because the old way offends someone's sensibilities if they peer under the hood to see how it works?

If your product design specifically asks for a table, go ahead. But in my experience, designers don't specify HTML elements, they specify design. It's my job to figure out how to implement it. Btw, if I was in charge of design AND implementation, I'd struggle to come up with anything that really needed tables for layout. A page layout is not a table. Look at print newspapers. They might have X columns on each page, but they have an arbitrary amount of "rows" in each column, because they're not rows. Each article is not a cell in an X,Y coordinate system.

Using tables for layout is also hell on accessibility, it makes it harder to navigate with screen readers, which reads tables expecting tabular data where they can read the column header for every cell etc. Again, if your product design is cool with that, go ahead. But you've surfed past thousands of sites that have successfully used proper layout elements without noticing, there are heaps and heaps of tooling and tutorials to help you learn it.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

lunar detritus posted:

Hurts my soul to see people defending tables. We finally got decent solutions for layout in CSS after years of suffering :negative:

I don't know dude. If you want me to not use tables on that tabular data, I don't know.... (Use tags for semantics, or use display type if you hate the tag, but they are useful in established cases)

After decades in this industry I've come to conclusions that there are two types of people who hate tables:
- people who had to use them for layout, old types like me. They carry the original trauma
- younger devs who think tablea are as obsolete as the blink element, who inherited the trauma without actually ever experiencing its origin.

One might say that tables caused intergenerational trauma, and those things are really hard to address without some professional help.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Theres alot of talk about tables so I actually have a question for them that i'd like to ask you guys.

My "main" project is a backend form system developed in nodejs express & pug. Alot of the forms were originally envisioned as tables, which It ranslated over:

Now as has been stated, this is horrid for mobile technologies and requires a landscape desktop. Is there a better way I should be attacking this useability wise? it won't be publically exposed so not worried about accesability.

The other question I have is I have one form that has about 200 fields on it. I'm wondering if something like that is a good idea or does node have a risk of timing out if someone takes forever to subnit the form?

Thanks

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Empress Brosephine posted:

or does node have a risk of timing out if someone takes forever to subnit the form?

Can you explain this? Do you mean a CSRF/XSRF token epxiring if someone sits on the same page without moving for hours?

200 fields is nothing, no.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

smackfu posted:

Anyone have a good course or video they can recommend on css grids?

http://cssgridgarden.com/

roomforthetuna posted:

Jesus, no, not that! That is like the exact opposite of what I was describing.

I mean like if the top left corner has an amount of content that happens to wrap in the available space and take up two lines because you've got actual content in there, not specially shaped loving images and buttons that have to be a precise size or nothing works, like how modern design always is.

And the top right corner has an amount of content that happens to not wrap and so does not take up two lines.

And you want the bottoms of both of those sections to be at the same vertical position or it looks poo poo.

And you don't know the wrap constraints in advance because you haven't painstakingly measured everything to the pixel for every possible language combination, so you can't just loving go "well obviously one of them is flex: 2 and the other one is flex 1 lol".

And also if you widen the window such that the top left segment now fits on one line, you want that band to reduce to the height of one line, or if narrowed maybe it goes to three lines, so you can't just go "well we'll just make it big enough to accommodate the most lines it will ever be".

Why yes, I *do* work with designers who give me specs that lay things out like the flexbox but actually have requirements like this so the designs are invalid when the strings change and then have to explain all the actual real constraints to people who don't listen, every goddamn day.

sounds like you need a grid

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biowarfare posted:

Can you explain this? Do you mean a CSRF/XSRF token epxiring if someone sits on the same page without moving for hours?

200 fields is nothing, no.

Yeah basically that. I have bad memories of websites timing out if you sat on a form for too long and didn't hit submit; or you'd hit submit and it'd all be gone.

The client wants a way to save the forms and continue to keep working on them, but it wasnt apart of the original ccontract and that seems like alot of work for a little feature.

Thanks

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you have a reasonably modern single page app you can just lazily serialize/deserialize the state or store of the tables into localStorage periodically; this doesn't take much more time other than some json.stringify(). Clear the localstorage key on a successful submit and receiving a hard 200 OK from the server or something.

If you have legacy code you can just lazily use something like https://github.com/kugaevsky/jquery-phoenix/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't have any front end framework on the project, so I don't have access to any kind of state mangement or even conditional forms, but I didn't know about Phoenix, maybe that's the way I should go. I've never used jquery though but i'm guessing it's not that crazy to implement.

Thanks!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not already using jquery then something like https://github.com/appleple/form-storage might be better. Don't add it if you don't already use jq

If it isn't very sensitive data, you can always escape and re-print it back out into the form regardless of validity, or set a very high CSRF token expiration time, who knows, depends on risk model.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'd probably also question the necessity of a mobile version in the first place. That doesn't look like the type of form I'd ever sit in bed and lazily complete.

If your client insists that there's some use case where they're maybe out in the field and need to complete the form on a phone, I'd maybe see if it was feasible to have a condensed version with fewer fields that could be completed later on a desktop. Can't imagine completing a form with 200 fields on my phone.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
yeah this absolutely looks like something i'd hit tab through

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah it's just analytical data, nothing personal. I don't even do much validation on it either because its just getting stored in a database and then printed via some weird npm print thing I found. I'll look into that appleple thing though, that seems to be perfect. thank you so much, as always

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fsif posted:

I'd probably also question the necessity of a mobile version in the first place. That doesn't look like the type of form I'd ever sit in bed and lazily complete.

If your client insists that there's some use case where they're maybe out in the field and need to complete the form on a phone, I'd maybe see if it was feasible to have a condensed version with fewer fields that could be completed later on a desktop. Can't imagine completing a form with 200 fields on my phone.

I expect 0 people to do it mobile because theres also alot of very long open ended questions that I have set up like this:

image hosting websites

But knowing my luck they're going to say that someone couldn't use it on theri phone to write a 2000 word essay :suicide:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
There's a surprising number of people who use a mobile device as their only computer. But I agree, there's no point in trying to make a mobile-friendly variant of something like that, just give them a full size version and let them scroll and enlarge if they insist on it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Now as has been stated, this is horrid for mobile technologies and requires a landscape desktop. Is there a better way I should be attacking this useability wise? it won't be publically exposed so not worried about accesability.

If it's not publicly exposed and will only be used in a certain setting on certain hardware, then I would develop it with that setting and hardware in mind.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Jabor posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a table that couldn't be replicated with CSS Grid, and trivially at that. But I'd be very curious to see an example to the contrary.

With the exception of borders. I don't think CSS has a good answer for what you can do with border-collapse on a table.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biowarfare posted:

If you're not already using jquery then something like https://github.com/appleple/form-storage might be better. Don't add it if you don't already use jq

If it isn't very sensitive data, you can always escape and re-print it back out into the form regardless of validity, or set a very high CSRF token expiration time, who knows, depends on risk model.

This works and it rocks, thank you so so much. That was way easier than I expected.

Another quick question; instead of writing about 200 if statements to see if a field is empty or not using lodash, can I do it using a switch case?

so right now i have:
code:
 if (isEmpty(req.body.field1) == false) {
          {
            values.push({
              attrib_id: 100,
              value: req.body.field1,
              response_id: results.insertForm.response_id,
            });
          }
is it possible to do:

code:
    switch (isEmpty(req.body.[x]) == false) {
          case  'field1': 
	 	   values.push({
              attrib_id: 100,
              value: req.body.field1,
              response_id: results.insertForm.response_id,
            });
	case 'field2': 
	case 'field3':
}
I realized while typing this out the easy thing would've been a loop that iterates over all the fields, but I wasn't smart and didn't name the fields to their DB id number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Theres alot of talk about tables so I actually have a question for them that i'd like to ask you guys.

My "main" project is a backend form system developed in nodejs express & pug. Alot of the forms were originally envisioned as tables, which It ranslated over:

The simple first-pass version, before you get to redesign stuff, would be to turn each of those rows into a div that has flex-direction: row; at desktop size and flex-direction: column; at anything smaller than that, plus input labels that are only visible at the smaller size. (You'll also need to mess around with flex values on the cell divs and other flexbox stuff based on viewport stuff. This shorthand reference is pretty good for that.) That'll give you something at least borderline usable at all screen sizes because you've got cards on small screens and rows on big screens.

Bigger redesign stuff would depend really heavily on your users' use cases (and beware of the XY problem if you ask them about it), but if it was me I'd look at switching away from a table layout to full-width cards, which can be just as keyboard-usable as long as you set things up right and which give you room to set up UI elements for validation on each card.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 10, 2021