Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

So is the only thing pointing to the post swamp biome the invasions? Swamp key was pretty obvious, but wishbone is whatever.

You need the wishbone to find silver in the next biome (mountain) since it usually is quite a bit underground. Protip: Equip the wishbone so you don't have to wander around wondering why you can't find any silver vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milward
Nov 5, 2009

dogboy posted:

You need the wishbone to find silver in the next biome (mountain) since it usually is quite a bit underground. Protip: Equip the wishbone so you don't have to wander around wondering why you can't find any silver vein.

I think the question is how you are supposed to deduce that.

I think that the idea is to equip the item and wander around a bit and finding a traesure in Meadows or Iron in Swamp and then exploring Mountains until you find Silver

Edit: And the invasions is a way to point you in the right direction as well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i would imagine you'll have encountered mountains before you encounter swamps, and you'll be getting recipes for frost resistance mead from picking up bloodbags.

if you're getting owned in the plains and can't do anything with the drops it might nudge you towards the peaks i guess

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

milward posted:

I think the question is how you are supposed to deduce that.

I think the order of biomes is kinda obvious to most people, because if you wander into the plains after the swamp you will quickly suspect it might not be the next biome. And most people have seen a mountain probably before they found a swamp.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

dogboy posted:

I think the order of biomes is kinda obvious to most people, because if you wander into the plains after the swamp you will quickly suspect it might not be the next biome. And most people have seen a mountain probably before they found a swamp.

Yes, I agree. I was just considering the "So is the only thing pointing to the post swamp biome the invasions?" part of the question in reference to the key.

Edit: As in the drop does not actually point you anywhere specific in itself.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

OwlFancier posted:

You can do quite a lot of base building without buggering up the FPS, IMO, and weirdly the game seems to perform significantly worse at my smaller, starter base than than my big castle base.

It's not buildings that kill your FPS. It's terraforming, especially if you're doing it across chunk borders.

If you want to see it in action, go into debug mode, activate flight, and fly up on your base from a distance. You will see it draw in the terrain as generated, then apply your terrain dickery, then your buildings, then any landscaping you've added with the cultivator. The terrain stuff takes the longest to load in, and if you're running around the vicinity, having those chunks constantly cycling in and out of memory, you can't help but notice the hitches.

Hell, higher render distance may be a net positive for some people.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

genericnick posted:

So is the only thing pointing to the post swamp biome the invasions? Swamp key was pretty obvious, but wishbone is whatever.

You should have unlocked frost mead with one of the mob drops from the swamp. It's a pretty clear indicator of what comes next.

Of course everyone's game is different etc. etc. But if you're ignoring big parts of the game like brewing it shouldn't be a surprise that you get a little off track.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i would imagine you'll have encountered mountains before you encounter swamps, and you'll be getting recipes for frost resistance mead from picking up bloodbags.

if you're getting owned in the plains and can't do anything with the drops it might nudge you towards the peaks i guess

Ah, yeah. The bloodbags for the frost mead make it clear. Forgot about those.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
If anything the plains is the only biome that has no indicators as far as I know. I mean I guess it relies on you having killed at least one Fuling before defeating the fourth boss.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

genericnick posted:

Ah, yeah. The bloodbags for the frost mead make it clear. Forgot about those.

Be sarcastic all you want, the frost mead recipe has in fact pointed plenty of people in the right direction.

EDIT: And if you weren't being sarcastic, then feel free to ignore this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nordick posted:

Be sarcastic all you want, the frost mead recipe has in fact pointed plenty of people in the right direction.

EDIT: And if you weren't being sarcastic, then feel free to ignore this.

I'm actually not, I just started building frost mead pretty early and forgot what went into them.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Also the boss stone at the circle gives a pretty solid hint where to look. I mean the pillar its self not the hook give a blurb.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I think the progression is pretty clear: after 1st boss Hugin flies down and literally tells you to make a pick, once you make it he tells you to go to biome 2. Biome 2 boss gives a drop named “biome 3 named key” and after biome 3 boss hugin (again) flies down and literally tells you “this helps you to find TIER4METAL at TIER4BIOME”

Also, as people already point out the enemies/resources in each biome literally drop the item to temporarily negate the next biomes environmental damage.

So yea, the game gives hints in somewhat limited amount but considering the crafting is not exactly stacked with chaff, it’s just a matter of building every workbench in order to test what you can make next.

Honestly, I like the progression a ton and it feels like a lot of thought has been put on it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Valtonen posted:

I think the progression is pretty clear: after 1st boss Hugin flies down and literally tells you to make a pick, once you make it he tells you to go to biome 2. Biome 2 boss gives a drop named “biome 3 named key” and after biome 3 boss hugin (again) flies down and literally tells you “this helps you to find TIER4METAL at TIER4BIOME”

Also, as people already point out the enemies/resources in each biome literally drop the item to temporarily negate the next biomes environmental damage.

So yea, the game gives hints in somewhat limited amount but considering the crafting is not exactly stacked with chaff, it’s just a matter of building every workbench in order to test what you can make next.

Honestly, I like the progression a ton and it feels like a lot of thought has been put on it.

Yeah my only issue at the moment is that once biome 6, 7, and 8 are in there isn't a really good indicator to go to biome 5.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Finally had a chance to play this game in a group of four, and we all had a roaring good time complete with many many deaths.

My only complaint is that since we don't have a dedicated server, I have to be online if any of us wants to do any work on the island. Hopefully they can figure out a way around that in a future patch. I was also disappointed only one person gets to loot the boss.

I'm trying to tread the line between reading tips that make life easier (we played about two hours before realizing we could turn on minimap icons for each other) and spoiling the experience.

Managed to take down the first boss despite being woefully under prepared.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

It's funny but historically in fantasy goblins are low-tier cannon fodder and in this game they're the worst fuckers there are, and their small size belies how much of your rear end you're about to get handed to you until you gear up that last tier.

This is actually my problem with them. Even if you show up in correctly tiered gear, plains stuff does a ton of damage. We had fully upgraded padded armor and good food buffs and got nearly 1 shot by a 2 star melee gobbo.

That factor plus mosquitos make it very attractive to just plink everything to death with the bow.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Someone in this thread mentioned that the Plains is the stealth biome and I couldn't agree more. There are huge sightlines and you can take out mosquitos from a mile away with a single arrow. Similarly you can take out more important mobs from stealth with the bonus and it makes the fight against the horde easier.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

A pickaxe and campfires go a long way in this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgFzP5m1k_c

(Warning: Is spoiler-y and contains unusual ways of dealing with things.)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Bioshuffle posted:

Finally had a chance to play this game in a group of four, and we all had a roaring good time complete with many many deaths.

My only complaint is that since we don't have a dedicated server, I have to be online if any of us wants to do any work on the island. Hopefully they can figure out a way around that in a future patch. I was also disappointed only one person gets to loot the boss.

I'm trying to tread the line between reading tips that make life easier (we played about two hours before realizing we could turn on minimap icons for each other) and spoiling the experience.

One thing you COULD do is automatically sync the map to a google drive folder after the game is done, but then only one person could really work.

Dedicated servers are pretty cheap, and I'm almost positive you can run one on your computer 24/7 or in Docker or something and still play.

I think there was also a goon who wrote up how to google cloud host one?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Really the game feels like it gives you a bunch of stuff but lacks the higher tier enemies against which it would be useful, you only get anti-undead damage after you're trivially murdering all the undead.

This isn't necessarily unintentional. Trivializing old enemies is a common design move to give the player a feeling of power growth. Giving us a gently caress the undead item after the swamp might be an attempt to do something similar given the heavy gear focus in this game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dogboy posted:

A pickaxe and campfires go a long way in this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgFzP5m1k_c

(Warning: Is spoiler-y and contains unusual ways of dealing with things.)

So the answer to my subterranean base is to just hollow out the elder spawn? Time for hobbiton

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah my only issue at the moment is that once biome 6, 7, and 8 are in there isn't a really good indicator to go to biome 5.

Wouldn’t know since I haven’t beat boss 4 yet, but I guess the current indicator is “well, you’ve seen it already so unless you are completely dumb or RNG failed you you know which one is the only remaining biome” since on at least my world every island aside one with a mountain also has biome5- in fact my gripe is that most my big mountains are behind a biome5 belt.

Ofc the thing with it is as soon as more craft benches and fluff comes on they have to re-assess the progression hints. Same happened with Terraria that also in my opinion had a very good “not going to put down rails for you, you will figure it out”- style: once past-1.2 stuff poured in and quadrupled the content the progression became somewhat more obscure.

Also on gobbos- my first test was to get a troll w/log vs a single gobbo. After that scene I decided I will never try to fight more than 1 of them at a time if possible.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Jarmak posted:

This isn't necessarily unintentional. Trivializing old enemies is a common design move to give the player a feeling of power growth. Giving us a gently caress the undead item after the swamp might be an attempt to do something similar given the heavy gear focus in this game.

Also since you still need a ton of iron post swamp it’s a tool to help on that harvest.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eschatos posted:

Spent a while sailing yesterday to get to Bonemass's spawn near the west edge of the map. Ended up stopping for the night at some featureless terrain labeled as Mistlands, put down a teleporter and logged out. Logged back on today to see that all the usual mistlands terrain had generated, and the teleporter and boat were gone. Scouting around revealed that the mistlands was only bordered by plains and a mountain. Cue a desperate sprint through the longest stretch of plains I've ever seen to get to the other side. Thankfully there was a single dungeon in the neighboring black forest, so I was able to gather surtling cores on top of the required greydwarf eyes for a new teleporter. That was followed by another trip into the plains to chop down some finewood, which required killing a bunch of deathsquitoes and some goblins with only a finewood bow and troll leather armor. Felt pretty fuckin good to get out of there finally.

I didn't even think that was possible, nice work

I had my silver factory fully operational when we got a swamp raid so that was funny to see a ton of draugrs and skeletons run into frostnir maces

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Spanish Matlock posted:

im still on tier 4 but i hope they stop the vertical progression so you don't havent to visit these places in specific order, that's not cool for exploration/challenge

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 10, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm starting to hit a point where the tedium of long distance travel and resource collection is getting to me. I am working on finding whatever the hell I need to summon the second boss (ancient seeds I'm guessing), but his altar is a million miles away from my base across a lagoon, and the raft moves at 1 mph even with the wind. What should I do here, aside from playing online (none of my friends play)?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm starting to hit a point where the tedium of long distance travel and resource collection is getting to me. I am working on finding whatever the hell I need to summon the second boss (ancient seeds I'm guessing), but his altar is a million miles away from my base across a lagoon, and the raft moves at 1 mph even with the wind. What should I do here, aside from playing online (none of my friends play)?

Build a real boat.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Had a hell of a time with Bonemass last night. This was our second expedition into the swamp which was a 5 minute sail by longboat from base. We were a group of 5 and pretty well equipped (so we thought) with bronze armor, ancient spears, poison resistance potions and stacks and stacks of arrows. Cue an hour long rendition of yakkety sax as we got a portal built and ran back and forth between base and the skull, trying to sacrifice different stacks of things and dodging/being killed by oozes. Finally we found the right sacrifice and discovered that our spears and arrows were completely useless.

So plan b! We figured Bonemass couldn't spawn extra mobs in the sea so we pulled him out to the ocean and went back to base to craft something that could hurt it. We ended up using our last iron on 16 iron arrows and also a bunch of ooze bombs for good measure. More damage types can't hurt, right? Then it was time to do some drive-by shootings on Bonemass who was treading water in the middle of nowhere. Of course neither of these things worked and an unfortunate series of incidents involving sea serpents and Bonemass teleporting somehow meant that half the team died on the water and the rescue team also died as well as the longboat. We managed to recover the materials to build a new longboat and discovered the plains on the way home, where half the team died again.

That was a long night. Eventually we gave in and had to google how to damage Bonemass. Hopefully the next try succeeds.

Clitch posted:

It's not buildings that kill your FPS. It's terraforming, especially if you're doing it across chunk borders.

If you want to see it in action, go into debug mode, activate flight, and fly up on your base from a distance. You will see it draw in the terrain as generated, then apply your terrain dickery, then your buildings, then any landscaping you've added with the cultivator. The terrain stuff takes the longest to load in, and if you're running around the vicinity, having those chunks constantly cycling in and out of memory, you can't help but notice the hitches.

Hell, higher render distance may be a net positive for some people.

Yep. I've rented a server with 4 other friends, and our landscaping projects are gradually turning the home base into a laggy hellhole. It's workable for now, but we may have to move if it gets much worse. I hope a patch addresses this soon, it would be sad to have to abandon base after building so many cool things.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You should be able to make portals as soon as you go into any forest dungeon, just need to make the trip once

If you can't, chop down a birch either via axe or tree v tree

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Don't ever use the raft.

Drop a portal near the black forest and set up a small smelting outpost. Make bronze, make bronze nails, make a Karve and DO NOT EVER USE THE RAFT.

You're right at the point where making portals should be fairly easy, you just gotta explore as many burial grounds as possible for cores.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I completely missed the pop up for portals holy poo poo, I had no idea these existed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Had a hell of a time with Bonemass last night. This was our second expedition into the swamp which was a 5 minute sail by longboat from base. We were a group of 5 and pretty well equipped (so we thought) with bronze armor, ancient spears, poison resistance potions and stacks and stacks of arrows. Cue an hour long rendition of yakkety sax as we got a portal built and ran back and forth between base and the skull, trying to sacrifice different stacks of things and dodging/being killed by oozes. Finally we found the right sacrifice and discovered that our spears and arrows were completely useless.

So plan b! We figured Bonemass couldn't spawn extra mobs in the sea so we pulled him out to the ocean and went back to base to craft something that could hurt it. We ended up using our last iron on 16 iron arrows and also a bunch of ooze bombs for good measure. More damage types can't hurt, right? Then it was time to do some drive-by shootings on Bonemass who was treading water in the middle of nowhere. Of course neither of these things worked and an unfortunate series of incidents involving sea serpents and Bonemass teleporting somehow meant that half the team died on the water and the rescue team also died as well as the longboat. We managed to recover the materials to build a new longboat and discovered the plains on the way home, where half the team died again.

That was a long night. Eventually we gave in and had to google how to damage Bonemass. Hopefully the next try succeeds.

This was hilarious to imagine. Buncha dudes rolling up to a boss on a boat, with exactly all the wrong tools for the job, followed yb a benny hill scramble to find the sacrifice item, then an awkward scene of dudes fruitlessly plinking arrows into a booger from a boat.

Speaking of hilarious bosses, we went and fought the 5th boss last night. We cracked up when he spawned, and again the first time he did a jazz-hands spell. It's Mass Effect 2 all over again! Big Skeleton will never be a scary looking boss lol. Especially not when they are determined to make all the giant skeletons do funny poses for their attack telegraphs. Unfortunately we did not beat the funny skelliton man. It was nice to get out asses kicked by a boss for the first time, but also I think we are not equipped for this fight. I made us fire mead, which helps, but doesn't cut it completely. Blackmetal weapons, porcupine, and arrow all did poo poo damage and he heals it off quick. Doesn't help out boss area is on the coast, half of the big stones are in the water, and getting away from the altar involves a swim.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Azhais posted:

So the answer to my subterranean base is to just hollow out the elder spawn? Time for hobbiton

Bonus: If you get a goblin raid, summon some elders on your roof and let them have at each other!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Khanstant posted:

This was hilarious to imagine. Buncha dudes rolling up to a boss on a boat, with exactly all the wrong tools for the job, followed yb a benny hill scramble to find the sacrifice item, then an awkward scene of dudes fruitlessly plinking arrows into a booger from a boat.

Yeah it was a hilarious trainwreck. Nothing quite like sailing naked towards ones belongings in the middle of the ocean and then getting a sinking feeling as BONEMASS hp bar appears on the screen.

On the plus side, the environment helped us out quite a bit. Bonemass ended up at half hp because it kept on getting into brawls with serpents and although our beachhead portal was being invaded by 2 trolls the entire time, they were too busy fending off draugr to do any harm :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's very frustrating that f12 isn't taking pictures of this mountain road

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

dogboy posted:

Bonus: If you get a goblin raid, summon some elders on your roof and let them have at each other!

re-enacting the scouring of the shire

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah it was a hilarious trainwreck. Nothing quite like sailing naked towards ones belongings in the middle of the ocean and then getting a sinking feeling as BONEMASS hp bar appears on the screen.

On the plus side, the environment helped us out quite a bit. Bonemass ended up at half hp because it kept on getting into brawls with serpents and although our beachhead portal was being invaded by 2 trolls the entire time, they were too busy fending off draugr to do any harm :v:

drat, didn't know the sea serpents would fight with the boss, that's pretty rad circumstances. We tried luring a boss to nearby enemies last night, but the enemies seemed to be allied with the bad man.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Another troll sculpture. This one wasn't by my friend; found it online.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Make it lead directly to a cliff so you fall to your death when you come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So turns out we wasted a ton of time wandering around and our stone keep is on a huge island that has all five biomes in it. :v: