Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kestral posted:

Question for California folks who have gotten their vaccines already: what sort of documentation were you asked to provide to prove your phase eligibility?

I am currently providing in-home care for my elderly father while he recovers from surgery, for the next two months or so. When his nurse came for the first visit today, I made a joke about whether this made me Phase 1B for the next two months, and she actually agreed and encouraged me to see if any local providers would cover me. She couldn't help with the documentation question though, since her employer covered their staff and handled everything on the back end.

Sutter has been extremely strict about its doses. They've outright told my mother (who's one of their patients) and I on separate occasions that they are forbidden from giving out unused doses, and that those doses are destroyed rather than violate the phase restrictions. That said, it almost certainly varies clinic by clinic, so it's worth finding out whether your local Sutter will tell the phases to stuff it and put you on a private list.

I didn’t have to prove anything when I got mine last week (although I am eligible). No one else I know has had to prove eligibility either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Kestral posted:

Question for California folks who have gotten their vaccines already: what sort of documentation were you asked to provide to prove your phase eligibility?

I am currently providing in-home care for my elderly father while he recovers from surgery, for the next two months or so. When his nurse came for the first visit today, I made a joke about whether this made me Phase 1B for the next two months, and she actually agreed and encouraged me to see if any local providers would cover me. She couldn't help with the documentation question though, since her employer covered their staff and handled everything on the back end.

Sutter has been extremely strict about its doses. They've outright told my mother (who's one of their patients) and I on separate occasions that they are forbidden from giving out unused doses, and that those doses are destroyed rather than violate the phase restrictions. That said, it almost certainly varies clinic by clinic, so it's worth finding out whether your local Sutter will tell the phases to stuff it and put you on a private list.

I haven't heard about anybody having to document their eligibility. I'm in agriculture, but literally all I did to prove that was click "Food/Agriculture" as my profession and when I got to the vaccination site today the intake guy was like, "What do you do for a living" and I said "I'm in agriculture."

You are quite literally a healthcare worker right now. Just say you do home healthcare for your elderly father. It would be completely insane for anyone to stop you for lack of like, letterhead.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
My partner was asked for evidence and showed their paystub.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
apparently some folks are being asked for proof, and are lacking it

https://twitter.com/PasadenaGov/status/1369431697629081604?s=20

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah it heavily depends on where you're getting your shot, and what county in particular. Once you get your first shot and you've got the CDC card with you they just wave you through though

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
The documentation requirement is very thin, and haphazardly applied. There is no system in the United States for matching people with jobs and thus eligibility. If they actually had to verify everyone and vaccinate in the 'right' order we wouldn't be done until 2025.

The "select which part of Phase 1B group applies to you" is pure CYA fluff. Same thing with the letters from work bullshit. How does the nurse at CVS know whether Company Z is actually essential?

What I mean is if you are taking care of your father at home, book any appointment you can get and show up and tell them what you do. Don't wait for some third party to give you the green light. Which third party would that even be in your situation?

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 10, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kestral posted:

The first Walgreens I went to were enormous buttholes about it and turned me away because I didn’t have a California issued ID, even though I also had a military ID and W2 in to prove I both live and work here, as well as documentation saying I was eligible.

After doing a bit more research to show back up and show them they were in fact, wrong, I scheduled a second appointment at another Walgreens and all they asked for was my name, DOB, and insurance card, didn’t even ask for an ID, could’ve been anybody. :iiam:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The system is stretched too thin to apply a consistent standard. If somebody really wants the vaccine and is willing to put enough time and effort towards it, they can get one by just showing up to any and every site and claiming to qualify. Eventually some beleaguered intake staff will just nod and let them in. And from what I understand once you get the first shot, nobody asks questions about you getting the second shot.

Not that I'm encouraging anybody to cheat the system and steal vaccines from the vulnerable population that needs it. It's just not surprising there's no clear standard. The Federal government's "plan" was to grab a bunch of vaccines and throw them at the states while saying "figure it out", and California's "plan" was to throw those vaccines at the counties while saying "figure it out". All the county medical workers were already overtaxed as it was, and now they get vaccine distribution dumped on their heads as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Something Else posted:

apparently some folks are being asked for proof, and are lacking it

https://twitter.com/PasadenaGov/status/1369431697629081604?s=20

This, and Sutter steadfastly destroying vaccine, is completely insane liberal bureaucracy where procedure, protocol, and rules are utterly divorced from achieving the outcome. If less than 100% of the people who signed up "don't qualify", and your decision is to cancel the clinic, then the >0% of people who did qualify now have to wait longer for the shot. This is cockamamie bullshit, and is classic budget-anxious fake policy. If the goal was to reach priority groups with the vaccination then the health authorities would pro-actively create lists of people they were able to identify within the community and do outreach to get them vaccinated. But that would require staff and expenses, and we can't have those, so instead we just set up a website with a sign-up sheet and cancel clinics in a fit of pique when people who want to get vaccinated use it before they *~~*qualify*~~*

I loving hate this poo poo so bad.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It really should have gone to a lottery system once healthcare workers were vaccinated.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

e.pilot posted:

It really should have gone to a lottery system once healthcare workers were vaccinated.

No. It should not. The solution to some people needing it before others isn't to make it random.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I feel like there had to be some kind of viable middle ground between blue states' "we will literally throw vaccines away rather than give them to people who don't fit the current schedule" and red states' free for all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Priority queuing + directed outreach for high-priority groups and lottery for low-priority groups with the mix shifting with each tranche of vaccine delivered to a given region. Honestly, a lot of this would have required the Trump administration allocating funding and expertise to this problem last summer and like, lol. It's still bonkers to deny people vaccines at this point.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Kenning posted:

This, and Sutter steadfastly destroying vaccine, is completely insane liberal bureaucracy where procedure, protocol, and rules are utterly divorced from achieving the outcome. If less than 100% of the people who signed up "don't qualify", and your decision is to cancel the clinic, then the >0% of people who did qualify now have to wait longer for the shot. This is cockamamie bullshit, and is classic budget-anxious fake policy. If the goal was to reach priority groups with the vaccination then the health authorities would pro-actively create lists of people they were able to identify within the community and do outreach to get them vaccinated. But that would require staff and expenses, and we can't have those, so instead we just set up a website with a sign-up sheet and cancel clinics in a fit of pique when people who want to get vaccinated use it before they *~~*qualify*~~*

The only priority queues that can really work are ones with a captive population. Like a nursing homes, hospitals, or other companies that can get residents and workers on site and verified within a few days. Every other attempt at tiers is ending up a clusterfuck of dozens of websites to figure out what the current categories are, who qualifies, where to sign up, refreshing to find openings, what documents are needed, etc, etc. It's a loving mess. The only saving grace is that now basically everyone can qualify if you squint enough and rely on commercial pharmacy's profit motive to get paid for delivering shots over spending time to screen vax seekers.

Getting loving needles in arms should be priority #1. The whole point of means testing is to deny help to those who need it, and this is yet another disgusting example of it.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Sydin posted:

Yeah I feel like there had to be some kind of viable middle ground between blue states' "we will literally throw vaccines away rather than give them to people who don't fit the current schedule" and red states' free for all.

Those are your options under capitalism, sorry.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

droll posted:

No. It should not. The solution to some people needing it before others isn't to make it random.

But that's exactly what people are advocating.

They're saying that we should just leave the existing societal inequalities in place as long as it gets vaccines out there, even though many of those shots will going to people aren't interacting with a ton of the public and weren't really high risk. And to do otherwise is "liberal BS".

See: a few posts before yours

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I knew Gavin was going to give a speech at Dodger Stadium, I didn't know it'd be at night and they'd have to spend the money to light that fucker up like a night game for him to give a speech that he could have delivered in a meeting room. I actually though the stadium setting was so that the legislature could be spaced out or something, but there was nobody else there. Really just feels like another tone-deaf stunt from a guy who can't stop owning himself with flexes that make him look like an narcissist.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had no idea that sutter was making a point of throwing away vaccines in CA? WTF?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

redreader posted:

I had no idea that sutter was making a point of throwing away vaccines in CA? WTF?

Kenning posted:

This, and Sutter steadfastly destroying vaccine, is completely insane liberal bureaucracy where procedure, protocol, and rules are utterly divorced from achieving the outcome.

I should say re: our experience with Sutter that this was only one location, although it matches with what I've heard from others who've inquired with Sutter locations who have run through their list of Phase 1B-approved people who are on standby. They didn't sound happy about it - "making a point" of throwing away vaccines sounds like they're taking a deliberate ethical stance to discard unclaimed vaccines because they believe it's the right thing to do, but that wasn't the impression we got. They're apparently afraid of whatever enforcement mechanism can be wielded (now or in the future) against organizations that violate the phase structure - emphasis on organizations, since it seems like punishing individual healthcare workers or vaccination sites isn't the priority. We each came away from our interactions with those Sutter employees feeling that they wished they weren't in the situation they're in, and were frustrated by the aforementioned insane bureaucracy.

Sutter's actions are frustrating, but I get it: everyone distributing the vaccine is in a tough spot, with complex ethical calculus to work. They've been very good to my family on the whole during a trying time, and I don't want to give them too much poo poo as an organization, and if folks here have counterexamples from other branches I'd love to hear them. All I meant by that post was to keep expectations low for anyone trying to work through Sutter without fitting cleanly into the phase structure, since it seems like they're adhering to it pretty strictly.

quote:

Same, calfriend, same.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it may also have something to do with sutter not asking for insurance information. is that typical? when i said my medi-Cal was in another county it just got handwaved away with "that's fine, we don't need your insurance info". i can imagine if uncle sam is footing the bill there's probably very governmental sort of broad, coarse restrictions in place about who can be given it and when

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Kestral posted:

It was handled by my employer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was able to schedule shot #1 for my wife next week, yay!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I got the shot at the Oakland coliseum site by picking "Education/Childcare" from the drop down list of what industry I work in on the myturn website and then refreshing the page constantly. My employer, a large university, sent out a big email blast saying that everyone who works for it is an Education/Childcare employee and needs to go get their shot right away. I brought a paystub in case they wanted to see it but they didn't ask for it.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 10, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I was able to schedule shot #1 for my wife next week, yay!

Goongratulations, friend. May we all be microchipped soon.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was also able to schedule shot #1 with that guy's wife

AtomicFishStick
Mar 10, 2021

LAWL Can I have ur ICQ #???

Shear Modulus posted:

I got the shot at the Oakland coliseum site by picking "Education/Childcare" from the drop down list of what industry I work in on the myturn website and then refreshing the page constantly. My employer, a large university, sent out a big email blast saying that everyone who works for it is an Education/Childcare employee and needs to go get their shot right away. I brought a paystub in case they wanted to see it but they didn't ask for it.

This is the second time I'm hearing about picking "Education/Childcare" from the drop down menu will put you at the front of the line. Seems like there's little to no back-up information being asked for at any time to prove you actually work in education.

Guy on the CM side at my current project told me he did exactly this when he signed to get his first dose at the Coliseum. Dude doesn't actually work in education and childcare but he works on the construction side of things for the school district. Not actually employed by the school district either. I asked him if they wanted any kind of proof that he worked in education. Solid no on the proof being requested.

AtomicFishStick fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 10, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My parents just got their 2nd pfizer shot. It's a real big load off my mind. Just two more weeks and they can hang out with my niece again.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

AtomicFishStick posted:

This is the second time I'm hearing about picking "Education/Childcare" from the drop down menu will put you at the front of the line. Seems like there's little to no back-up information being asked for at any time to prove you actually work in education.

It doesn't put you at the front of the line because there's no line to speak of. All it does when you pick that option is it lets you get to the appointment signup page and then whenever it is that the system has appointments available they go to whoever claims a spot first. It took me like five tries of a process of "see available appointments, click on a date and time, hit submit, get an error, refresh the page, start again" before it gave me a confirmation that I was signed up

AtomicFishStick
Mar 10, 2021

Shear Modulus posted:

It doesn't put you at the front of the line because there's no line to speak of. All it does when you pick that option is it lets you get to the appointment signup page and then whenever it is that the system has appointments available they go to whoever claims a spot first. It took me like five tries of a process of "see available appointments, click on a date and time, hit submit, get an error, refresh the page, start again" before it gave me a confirmation that I was signed up

That makes more sense. So much for prioritizing vaccines to those with the highest risk of exposure I guess?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

AtomicFishStick posted:

That makes more sense. So much for prioritizing vaccines to those with the highest risk of exposure I guess?

Well it does in that the only people who get to furiously refresh the page are those who said they were old or worked in a qualified industry. In practice it of course discriminates against old people who may not know that "no appointments available" means "our servers are overloaded and dropped your request, try again" or anyone who can't check the page several times a day.

But discriminating against people who don't have the time or cultural upbringing to know how to interpret what the system says into how it actually works so they can game it is the backbone of our society.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 11, 2021

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, I only got my appointment by logging in at 4:30 in the morning immediately after they posted their next round of availability. By 5am, they were all gone. It's like as if they Ticketmaster in charge of vaccines.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FWIW, Rite Aid had a ton of appointments for next week when I checked at 6am this morning. When trying it throughout the day, there was typically only a random time showing up every now and then that was gone as soon as you clicked it. So yeah, F5'ing in the morning seems more lucrative.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

AtomicFishStick posted:

Guy on the CM side at my current project told me he did exactly this when he signed to get his first dose at the Coliseum. Dude doesn't actually work in education and childcare but he works on the construction side of things for the school district. Not actually employed by the school district either. I asked him if they wanted any kind of proof that he worked in education. Solid no on the proof being requested.

Got mine through Kaiser, brought proof but wasn't asked to show it.

Sucks that I cant get my #2 until April and we are going back before then. (Highschool Teacher)

Sucks more for my kids who might infect their parents a month or 2 before they get the vaccine this summer.

Going back now seems real dumb.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I heard through the grapevine that vaccines are expected to be available to my industry around mid-April, so fingers crossed I guess.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

Yeah, I only got my appointment by logging in at 4:30 in the morning immediately after they posted their next round of availability. By 5am, they were all gone. It's like as if they Ticketmaster in charge of vaccines.

I seriously got my vaccine through a fw: fw: fw: fw: re: email that snaked through the "cool kids" in my district for a tiny little clinic three towns over

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sydin posted:

I heard through the grapevine that vaccines are expected to be available to my industry around mid-April, so fingers crossed I guess.

Mid April? We got ours today, they're doing them at the Santa Clara County fairgrounds. I did have to show my work ID but I was in my work clothes at the time so they pretty much figured I was legit. Only silly thing was having to produce my ID and answer the same questions to like eight different people. They had the fire department give them out. Our office manager even showed up for one and we joked we better be on the clock if she's gonna spy on us while we are in the "wait to see if you sprout another arm as a side effect" area.

Also it snowed today. Wild!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

AtomicFishStick posted:

the goal is to get everyone working in education vaxxed. the goal is not to wring our hands about the hypothetical ways the system may be abused, or the anecdotes we've heard about someone who knows someone who is on food stamps and totally was buying lobster and cigarettes you guys!!!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if this was going to be a permanent system, or was for something significantly more deadly (think 25% rather than 2%) there would be a case for making it more robust. but generally speaking, if you need to get something done right loving now, simpler is better. putting red tape in front of people inevitably reduces how many people use that thing, and in situations where the percieved personal risk is low and there's an appeal to peoples' sense of altruism, most people can be relied on to use the honor system most of the time.

e: especially considering full vaccination is the theoretical ideal goal here. joe builder getting his a couple months early despite having a questionable connection to education is not a big deal. it is far, far preferable when contrasted with a janitor or student teacher or someone else with direct contact with kids getting stopped by red tape due to language barriers or not having the bandwidth to handle navigating bureaucracy

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 11, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Panfilo posted:

Mid April? We got ours today, they're doing them at the Santa Clara County fairgrounds. I did have to show my work ID but I was in my work clothes at the time so they pretty much figured I was legit. Only silly thing was having to produce my ID and answer the same questions to like eight different people. They had the fire department give them out. Our office manager even showed up for one and we joked we better be on the clock if she's gonna spy on us while we are in the "wait to see if you sprout another arm as a side effect" area.

Also it snowed today. Wild!

Congrats! I'm just going off what a manager told me - I'm a computer toucher so presumably we're understandably lower in priority than anybody who actually has to be on site or interface with the public.

I missed the crazy hail storm in my part of town apparently, but did get sporadic, sudden rain storms throughout the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicFishStick
Mar 10, 2021

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the goal is to get everyone working in education vaxxed. the goal is not to wring our hands about the hypothetical ways the system may be abused, or the anecdotes we've heard about someone who knows someone who is on food stamps and totally was buying lobster and cigarettes you guys!!!

Yea cool dude .......................... not trying to articulate the ways the system may be abused but rather to articulate the ways the system is hosed.