Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Ariong posted:

Never heard of Touhou before now but would be very excited to see how a bullet hell character gets translated into a smash character.

If you're enough of an Undertale fan to have a Papyrus av but haven't heard of Touhou before, you're in for a treat. Be sure to check out the games' soundtracks, there's tons of killer remixes out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahg5FiLUIuo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
no demetori in any of that? for shame

some links 4 u :black101:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
what was probably everyone's first exposure to Touhou is definitely pretty gay

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i just reported the main lovely fake sakurai account like two days ago so i guess i’m to blame

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

i just reported the main lovely fake sakurai account like two days ago so i guess i’m to blame

every time i saw sakuraii i reported it

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bleck posted:

Ohhhhhh. I didn't really think about it that hard.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
marisa stole the precious thing is highly gay but I do have to be the pedant here and say everyone's first exposure is probably the bad apple shadow play, of which the original upload alone(in like 360p lol) has over 38 million views on youtube and 28 million on nico nico

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

marisa stole the precious thing is highly gay but I do have to be the pedant here and say everyone's first exposure is probably the bad apple shadow play, of which the original upload alone(in like 360p lol) has over 38 million views on youtube and 28 million on nico nico

I only knew about that one and U.N Owen was her because of the meme around then so I had no idea what Touhou was at all. And then when I did find out the bullet hell genre didn't interest me enough to check out any games.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

RareAcumen posted:

I only knew about that one and U.N Owen was her because of the meme around then so I had no idea what Touhou was at all. And then when I did find out the bullet hell genre didn't interest me enough to check out any games.

Good news, there are so many non-bullet-hell spinoff fangames.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah this. I saw Bad Apple long before I became aware of Touhou as a thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Ohhhhhh. I didn't really think about it that hard.

Anime swords would commit war crimes to have half of what Mythra does in her kit lol

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Anime swords would commit war crimes to have half of what Mythra does in her kit lol
What a coincidence, she did

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bleck posted:

Mine was Bad Apple, not sure if there's much gay in it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zebia posted:

I was unaware of this. Can you tell me more?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Isn't Touhou that bullet hell series where all the main characters are young teenage girls?

Also the Reimu thing feels like another notch in the long chain of future character leaks with proof that turn out to be wrong.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheLoneStar posted:

Isn't Touhou that bullet hell series where all the main characters are young teenage girls?
I don't think ZUN has given actual ages for basically any of the characters. touhou games are supposed to take place in modern times(but in an old-timey area that's magically isolated from the rest of the modern world), which would make Reimu be in her early 20s(I think? maybe?), but I don't really think it's planned out that meticulously

also character designs vary wildly visually. here are some depictions of Reimu, the main character:

]

some of these are from games, some are from manga, some are illustrations from books-but they're all from official, canon sources. so who fuckin knows tbh

touhou characters in general are pretty simple and usually just have one or two defining character traits, and then fans make up the rest for whatever they're making, whether it be comics, music, fanart, games, whatever.
They sort of have just enough going on as characters to get people invested, and then most everything else is up in the air.
that combined with how ZUN allows fan works to be sold for money with very few restrictions is I think a big part of why touhou fanworks blew up so much in the mid to late 2000's and helped popularize it so much.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 10, 2021

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

All I'm gonna say about that is that lesbians aren't the only community who feel a strong attachment to the series.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's right, so do indie game devs!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
no kidding

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
thinking about the touhou soccer running animation just to brighten my day

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

All I'm gonna say about that is that lesbians aren't the only community who feel a strong attachment to the series.
you're right, transwomen also

edit: also yeah the touhou cast isnt really 'all young teenage girls.' there's some younger characters but the main characters are like, 18ish-early 20ish, they were kids in the original games back in the mid-90s and are treated like they're at least mostly adults these days. and there's plenty of adult characters in the sidecast, like yukari or mamizou, where even accounting for the wildly varying artstyles there's no way to read them as anything but like, late 20s at least. it's just a series with a bunch of women with varying ages, personalities, and designs.

and i wasnt kidding about the young girls thing, the series is really big with that demo in japan rn. that's part of the reason there's so much spinoff manga and books of it these days, cause kids arent exactly lining up to play difficult bullet hell games.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 10, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If anything, the automatic assumption that a female-dominated Japanese franchise with a large fanbase must obviously involve underage characters is something you should maybe question.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything, the automatic assumption that a female-dominated Japanese franchise with a large fanbase must obviously involve underage characters is something you should maybe question.
i mean there are younger characters too but theyre just treated like funny kids. the impulse to assume there's something perverse going on is definitely a questionable one, yeah. there's people who freak out about touhou games at awesome games done quick for some reason

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To alot of bystanders (like myself) the only exposure they'll have had to the franchise will be screenshots or videos of the original shumps where they do all appear to be kiddies, so hearing that tied to 'lesbian culture' is kind of sus. But thanks Endorph for the explainer, that clears up alot!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

multijoe posted:

so hearing that tied to 'lesbian culture' is kind of sus
thats DEFINITELY an impulse you need to self-examine, lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

thats DEFINITELY an impulse you need to self-examine, lol

Err I think I just phrased that badly and there's been a misunderstanding, I'm only saying that shipping kids wouldn't get a pass just because it was lesbians doing it, not that there's anything fundamentally wrong or suspect about lesbian culture as a whole. But that's not the case here in any event and I appreciate you taking the time to explain the background here, apologies for blundering around this issue a bit!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Something I'm wondering. Has ZUN even shown an interest of wanting Touhou in Smash?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Wait is that the secret to getting goons to stop going all "heh, anime :smug:" anytime you bring up anything remotely tied to anime? Just convince everyone that lesbians love it?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Araxxor posted:

Something I'm wondering. Has ZUN even shown an interest of wanting Touhou in Smash?
no, but if it was going on I don't think he'd mention it? That said there are some issues to Tohuou being in Smash. For starters, either Reimu'd need to not have a voice (weird) or there'd have to be an official voice actress for her, something ZUN's always seemed pretty reluctant about. I guess you could say Smash is just another fangame/spinoff with voice acting, but convincing people to ignore some random phone game is one thing, convincing people to ignore Super Smash Brothers is another. But ZUN's shifted his official position on stuff before, so who knows.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
So while Wario's uptilt lasts shorter and the waft comes out slower...he also apparently got more super armor on the waft as compensation. And nothing else got touched so he is still Wario.

I am more than ok with this.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

no, but if it was going on I don't think he'd mention it? That said there are some issues to Tohuou being in Smash. For starters, either Reimu'd need to not have a voice (weird) or there'd have to be an official voice actress for her, something ZUN's always seemed pretty reluctant about. I guess you could say Smash is just another fangame/spinoff with voice acting, but convincing people to ignore some random phone game is one thing, convincing people to ignore Super Smash Brothers is another. But ZUN's shifted his official position on stuff before, so who knows.

Ah, I see. Though I was thinking like before Ultimate’s time or anything when I asked that. But I see, that’s an interesting light to shed on potential obstacles.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think that it may also be the reason why there hasn't been an anime based on the work. I suspect that such an appearance might eclipse the original series several times over. One of the greatest strengths to Touhou is the fandom participation (virtually anyone can make something using the characters and it'll be treated as part of the canon), so works that put it in an "official" spotlight like an anime or a Smash appearance might put a stop to that.

But I'm not an expert and I barely know anything about the series beyond it being a bullet hell with magic little girls in it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wait is that the secret to getting goons to stop going all "heh, anime :smug:" anytime you bring up anything remotely tied to anime? Just convince everyone that lesbians love it?

Lesbians have been the most frothingly enthusiastic anime fans for over a decade. Steven Universe pretty much exists entirely because of that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/firubiii/status/1369448895290441730

Apparently it’s not just “headshots” that are susceptible to this glitch and moving forward triggers it. How odd. Wonder how this interpolation glitch slipped in.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Endorph posted:

Reimu'd need to not have a voice (weird)

That's why it'd be Marisa, duh, keep up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

When did characters being hurled into the screen get added? It honestly feels like such a Smash thing.

That said, I've never had a funnier experience than playing that one Spirit battle with tiny Pits being hurled into the sky Team Rocket style crying "I never learned how to reeaaaad!" with helium voices.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When did characters being hurled into the screen get added? It honestly feels like such a Smash thing.

They've been in since 64, tho in 64 they'd just fall by the screen and not get hit into it. In melee they'd actually get hit into it, though they just used their default 'got hit' animation. 4 is when they actually added unique animations for getting smacked into the screen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Endorph posted:

They've been in since 64, tho in 64 they'd just fall by the screen and not get hit into it. In melee they'd actually get hit into it, though they just used their default 'got hit' animation. 4 is when they actually added unique animations for getting smacked into the screen.

Makes sense, I think. Slapstick payoff like that seems a small thing, but I imagine it's not trivial to add, and it just gives such flavour to the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4 also added a small pause when they get smacked into the screen, which really adds a lot. in melee and brawl tehyd just smack off it, not splat into it. goes to show how small timing stuff can affect a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheKingofSprings posted:

Terper posted:

What a coincidence, she did

Now you have my attention