Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hey at least they never attempted to make Kaneshiro redeemable. Half the time he's so forgettable I want to call him Kamoshida instead.

I'm half-convinced Kaneshiro was originally just a drug kingpin/extortionist and they tossed in the sex slavery aspects at the last minute in a lazy attempt to rile up the audience. Doesn't seem to have worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

Moon started a cult. I remember my first time through the game just eyes glazing over everytime I did his link, and then I start reading the screen and he's getting his rear end beat cause he's in a cult, and hes whining cause his brother died. All I could think was," What in the gently caress is this social link". Then I got my persona and ignored him forever

It's pretty fitting to start Moon's SL about 2/3rd of the way through the game just because this means Gourmet King loving joined Strega's bullshit cult, and made the guy even worse.

Funky Valentine posted:

Hanged Man - the little girl who's parents are abusive and a hairs-breadth away from a violent divorce, P3 MC basically does nothing to help can tell the little girl it's her fault that her parents are fighting.

Fixed that for you. :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

At no point does the game attempt to excuse the awful stuff any of the palace rulers did in Persona 5. Kamoshida and Kaneshiro get no like, oh no they were good deep down stuff because they're not related to playable characters. One of the arguments of the game though is that when bad actions are allowed to go unpunished, they get worse. That's sort of the thing with Madarame and Okumura, they did bad things, got rewarded, and so started to do worse things over time. However that doesn't preclude them having at one point cared for their children.

Again Shadows in P5 work the same as Shadows in P4, they're the darkest thoughts of a person, the things they don't want the world to know, it's entirely possible that Madarame did not actually let Yusuke's mother die, but his Shadow says as much because it's how he feels deep down (think Yosuke's Shadow in P4, he doesn't actually hate Inaba but his shadow is an awful shithead about the place so on and so forth). So the basic argument is not Okumura and Madarame care about Haru/Yusuke now, but did so in the past at some point. Okumura in particular we know got worse over time, because Haru straight up says she remembers him being much better to her as a child (and Persona 5 Strikers discusses this a bit with one of the new villains being someone from Haru's past).

The growth of a palace is just that the distortion of the person with it is strong enough to help them escape Mementos, not that they're completely immune to outside interference. Heck Shido doesnt' change immediately with his Shadow's defeat and his treasure's robbery, instead he kills himself with drugs to kill the phantom thieves. Sae works because you're very explicitly spending a good three hours talking to her about your life and convincing her that you're working for true justice, and even then she doesn't actually necessarily believe you until she meets Akechi and works out he's the betrayer and comes back for you. In fact, Yaldabaoth in the end explicitly states that palaces were born from people who he could not convince to remain happy in his control, they're non-conforming to the will of society as a default, Sae's palace is born from her need to succeed and win in a system she knows is unjust and unfair so she is slowly losing her mind, but she's done nothing evil and still is seeking "justice".

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 10, 2021

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Unfortunately, your hypothesis falls apart because of Maruki. Dude was literally looking for any excuse not to fight the PTs; if he could've been reasoned into a change of heart he would've jumped at the chance. The fact that he wasn't, and the PTs didn't even try, is illuminating, especially when you take into account Mementos targets like Mishima and the ones added in Royal who are reasoned into changing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HootTheOwl posted:

By doots do you mean trumpeter? Because I always said "doot" out loud every time.
well of course, except I mimicked the sound effect instead!

I'm surprised people are actually remembering the Arcanas that go with the Confidants/S-Links. I keep having to look up which Personas to bring if I want to push one, most of the time I just don't bother though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gen. Ripper posted:

Unfortunately, your hypothesis falls apart because of Maruki. Dude was literally looking for any excuse not to fight the PTs; if he could've been reasoned into a change of heart he would've jumped at the chance. The fact that he wasn't, and the PTs didn't even try, is illuminating, especially when you take into account Mementos targets like Mishima and the ones added in Royal who are reasoned into changing.

Except in that case Maruki was trying to change the Phantom Thieves to his point of view. He doesn't want to fight them because he doesn't want to hurt them, he's a gentle madman, he absolutely 100% believes what he's doing is the only way to save the world. That's pretty explicitly stated, his resolve to fight the Thieves is entirely based on him going fine if I cannot convince you to not fight me I will stand by my convictions. The fact you can reason Mementos targets into changing is in fact proof that you should be able to reason Sae into changing, because the Mementos targets are people about to form palaces who's particular disconnect hasn't yet grown strong enough to do so. The Phantom Thieves don't try to reason with Maruki because he's a godlike individual who controls the entire world, there is no reasoning with him he's actually straight up gone mental and believes the only way to save the world is what he's doing. He avoids talking to them directly because he wants them to see the proof his world works, that's why you have the bit where he makes Joker go away for a week, and the bit in his palace where he's trying to prove his methods work to them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Arist posted:

Well and then there's ones that are just complete wastes of time like Fortune. Actually, maybe Fortune was good! Impossible to know, no one has ever gotten it past Rank 2. I dare you to tell me his name without looking it up.
Fortune in P3 is Keisuke. :smuggo: I only remember that because they reused the name in Devil Survivor

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is it worse to be a Keisuke and utterly forgettable, a Nozomi where everyone hates you, or a Kenji where everyone hates you but for entirely different reasons and they also dunk on you at the same time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Oh yeah we have a save right before the True (not Golden) Ending, is it worth looking at that too or is it just "Golden Ending, but a few extra scenes missing"?

Btw this song slaps hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhQILQgkClo

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the True Ending is the same as the Golden ending, just without the "Yu comes back to Inaba" scene.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does the game even do anything to make Haru's dad seem less bad after the fact? When he dies she's upset about it which is understandable, since what she wanted was for him to be nice again rather than to be dead. But in her SL I don't remember him coming up much.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, does anyone else think its funny that this thread's popularity has sucked the life out of the smt thread, just like the persona games have sucked the life out of the smt franchise?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The madarame thing is weird because if he just didnt do his best to take care of yusuke's mom out of envy and that guilt led to him leaning in and stealing other people's art and stuff cause he feels like hes already too far gone, thatd be kinda complex, but iirc they have him basically laugh about intentionally killing her and its weird that they try and walk that back later

as with a lot of stuff in p5 it would have been way better if theyd shown a modicum of restraint to make things more nuanced

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Does the game even do anything to make Haru's dad seem less bad after the fact? When he dies she's upset about it which is understandable, since what she wanted was for him to be nice again rather than to be dead. But in her SL I don't remember him coming up much.

The most it does is state that he was not always a shithead.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Mirello posted:

lol, does anyone else think its funny that this thread's popularity has sucked the life out of the smt thread, just like the persona games have sucked the life out of the smt franchise?

Considering we are still waiting for Nocturne and V to come out while we have Strikers freshly released I think it’s understandable there is more to talk about persona right now

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

The madarame thing is weird because if he just didnt do his best to take care of yusuke's mom out of envy and that guilt led to him leaning in and stealing other people's art and stuff cause he feels like hes already too far gone, thatd be kinda complex, but iirc they have him basically laugh about intentionally killing her and its weird that they try and walk that back later

as with a lot of stuff in p5 it would have been way better if theyd shown a modicum of restraint to make things more nuanced

Strikers isn't much better, since Alice goes from having possible nuance to cackling 'yeah, just gonna stomp on this guy in a public hallway'. I mean, good buildup for the first villain, I guess. On the other hand, Natsume is pathetic and Hyodo has good nuance, so it's a bit better than P5, and Royal gave us an interesting viewpoint in Maruki.

It makes sense to have some real scumbags in the mix like Kaneshiro, but they probably took it too far with Madarame and Okumura into moustache-twirling territory.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think with Madarame, they tripped over trying to have some sort of escalation from Kamoshida. The writers felt the need to make each target worse than the last in some way (barring Futaba, of course), so Madarame couldn't just be some art thief. He needed to have some real dark poo poo there, too. And it ends up creating this weird mustache-twirling wanna-be Walter White art thief.

Okumura's an odd case, because he's already a pretty awful guy and a great target for a change of heart before he's shown to treat his daughter as a resource to be sold off for profit. That just puts him over the top and ruins any chance of the player feeling sympathy when he dies a gruesome death. There should've been a different ticking clock on his Palace, I think. Maybe show him actually being really kind to Haru, even if he's still working his employees to death to make loving hamburger buns. Someone who absolutely needs a change of heart but where you can see, like, some signs that he's a human.

Gen. Ripper posted:

Persona 5's attempt at a "nooooo everyone is good at heart deep down!!!" moral is easily the most irritating thing about it. It's stupid enough they try to do it with Ichiryusai "I murdered a woman to steal her magnum opus and control her son" Madarame and Kunikazu "Haha selling my daughter off to a well connected rapist go brrr" Okumura, and I'm pretty sure the Palace 6 plan does not work - every indication is that developing a Palace is the moment where the ruler crosses the Rubicon and can no longer be reasoned out of their mindset, and may not even let others attempt to do so.

I think your read on what causes a Palace to form isn't quite accurate. Remember Futaba's Palace, too. She clearly wasn't incapable of being reasoned with--she asked to have her heart changed, after all. She knew something was wrong. And in the end, the Phantom Thieves never stole her Treasure, because she (through her Shadow) changed her own heart. Sae is like Futaba: her heart is distorted and she's lost in that distortion, but deep down she wants it to stop. She's not indulging in it like the villainous Palace rulers; instead, she's tortured by it. She wants a way out. In this case, rather than her changing her own heart or the Thieves stealing her Treasure, the process of changing Sae's heart is the entire interrogation.

With Madarame and Okumura, I think it's less "they're secretly good people" and more "they weren't always like this" with a side of "humans are complex and nobody is pure good or pure evil."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 10, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I also felt that the Madarame and Shido connection P5 casually tosses out near the end of Shido’s palace felt forced.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I also felt that the Madarame and Shido connection P5 casually tosses out near the end of Shido’s palace felt forced.

In general I think that's true about pretty much everything with Shido. The plot element that all of the villainous Palace rulers be part of the same grand conspiracy is really weird and unfortunately undermines a lot of P5's "changing society" angle. You're not so much changing society as dismantling one very specific conspiracy.

It doesn't help that Shido is an absolute vacuum of personality and is one of the least-compelling villains in the series. "Rivers in the Desert" deserves a better villain to be the main boss it plays for.

Ultimately I think that's why I love Royal as much as I do. The whole Shido arc is a big letdown, but I thought Maruki more than made up for it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Harrow posted:

In general I think that's true about pretty much everything with Shido. The plot element that all of the villainous Palace rulers be part of the same grand conspiracy is really weird and unfortunately undermines a lot of P5's "changing society" angle. You're not so much changing society as dismantling one very specific conspiracy.

It doesn't help that Shido is an absolute vacuum of personality and is one of the least-compelling villains in the series. "Rivers in the Desert" deserves a better villain to be the main boss it plays for.

Ultimately I think that's why I love Royal as much as I do. The whole Shido arc is a big letdown, but I thought Maruki more than made up for it.

Personally I like Shido, he's a suitable human villain. He just needed to be less tied into everything else and more about himself and his party trying to take over japan in a landslide with Akechi's assassination and other shady dealings. Separate the other palaces (except maybe Okumura) and build on the whole deal with Shido just being this terrifying narcissist who believes only he is worthy to lead the country. In comparison to Yaldabaoth and Maruki having similar thoughts (only I am fit to rule) but different reasons/motives (Yaldabaoth does so out of humanity's own desire for control, Maruki does so out of legitimate desire to save the world instead of pure narcicism and nationalism). Basically Shido needs to actually be a visible political force instead of some conspiracy mastermind. It's also I think very appropriate that he's petty enough to ruin some kid's life simply because it's the easiest option for him, and that should've been focused on more, his completely callous disregard for any individual life in the face of his master plan and goal of dominating Japan.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

Oh yea if I had just played vanilla P5 I would have felt...underwhelmed by the ending.

As it stands, the Kasumi/Sumire and Maruki arcs were so goddamn good, and it felt like the ending that Atlus really wanted from the start. Just nicely ties up every thread for every character, the metaverse at large, ect.

That said, I heard that Striker's doesn't treat the events of Royal as canon. Which is more than a little disappointing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I liked Shido. Like Adachi, the game really should have just been about him, not an evil cup.

https://youtu.be/z2OH_7SblE0

Only dungeon I remember in the game thanks to this absolutely awesome song and the speech.

P.S.
I keep forgetting he is Flynn from SMTIV and IVA.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Personally I like Shido, he's a suitable human villain. He just needed to be less tied into everything else and more about himself and his party trying to take over japan in a landslide with Akechi's assassination and other shady dealings. Separate the other palaces (except maybe Okumura) and build on the whole deal with Shido just being this terrifying narcissist who believes only he is worthy to lead the country. In comparison to Yaldabaoth and Maruki having similar thoughts (only I am fit to rule) but different reasons/motives (Yaldabaoth does so out of humanity's own desire for control, Maruki does so out of legitimate desire to save the world instead of pure narcicism and nationalism). Basically Shido needs to actually be a visible political force instead of some conspiracy mastermind. It's also I think very appropriate that he's petty enough to ruin some kid's life simply because it's the easiest option for him, and that should've been focused on more, his completely callous disregard for any individual life in the face of his master plan and goal of dominating Japan.

Yeah, I agree with this reading. I think what would've helped make Shido work for me is some idea of what he actually wants to do with his power. We see that Shido wants power, and that he is capable of grabbing it, but we get very little idea of what he plans to do after that. He's just a distant conspiracy mastermind who is also just an awful narcissist with way too much power.

And I get why he's a major villain. The uniting theme of the villainous Palace rulers is that they have power over others and abuse that power. Shido, on paper, makes sense as the final one because he wields a lot of power and abuses it heavily. I just wanted more personality from him and, as you point out, I thought that the whole Grand Conspiracy angle was unnecessary and actually undermined some of the earlier villains.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

That said, I heard that Striker's doesn't treat the events of Royal as canon. Which is more than a little disappointing.

Strikers doesn't really conflict with Royal, it just also doesn't acknowledge it. It's like how Persona 4 Arena didn't have anything from Persona 4 Golden in it, but in the end, both were considered canon. In the long run, it's probably safest to consider both Royal and Strikers as canon, and any inconsistencies that brings up are pretty easy to handwave.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As much as I criticize it, Persona 5 (especially Royal) is still my favorite Persona game. My favorite games aren't my favorites because of any objective measure. For example, I think Persona 5's plot has a lot of flaws that Persona 3 and 4's plots don't, if I'm looking at it as objectively as I can. But the overall experience of playing P5R--the characters, the gameplay, the plot elements that do work, the overall vibe of the game--is just one of my favorite gaming experiences I've ever had, even the second time through. It's a game that's really close to my heart.

It's like how I can write--and have written--essay-length posts about everything I think Breath of the Wild does poorly, but it's still in the running for my favorite Zelda game. Same for Final Fantasy IX and XII.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Something I was thinking about with base P5 is if I would have liked it more if it ended with Shido, and there was no Yaldabaoth. I wasn’t crazy about Yaldabaoth because I think it changes things too much from the focus on human flaws to being about a supernatural being’s desire to dominate humanity (even though he is born from humanity’s desire to be dominated). That part is definitely interesting but also seems different from the rest of the game, to me at least.

Or maybe if it went straight from Shido to Maruki, I think I would have liked that too.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Harrow posted:

As much as I criticize it, Persona 5 (especially Royal) is still my favorite Persona game. My favorite games aren't my favorites because of any objective measure. For example, I think Persona 5's plot has a lot of flaws that Persona 3 and 4's plots don't, if I'm looking at it as objectively as I can. But the overall experience of playing P5R--the characters, the gameplay, the plot elements that do work, the overall vibe of the game--is just one of my favorite gaming experiences I've ever had, even the second time through. It's a game that's really close to my heart.

It's like how I can write--and have written--essay-length posts about everything I think Breath of the Wild does poorly, but it's still in the running for my favorite Zelda game. Same for Final Fantasy IX and XII.

I was going to wait until I actually beat Shadow Yukiko before bringing this up, but heck this is a good time.

So far I am really enjoying Persona 4G, but already it's painfully obvious to me that everything else is just done to perfection in 5. Like Atlus took everything they had learned from the previous games, and created the smoothest, most polished, stylish, and one of the most engrossing gaming experiences I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

One big standout is the design of the palaces. I can compare and contrast two right now Yukiko's castle and Kamoshida's castle.

Yukiko's castle is basically mementos. It's a long corridor that is randomly generated. There are a few side rooms with treasure chests. And a handful of shadows on each floor that you basically have to fight. Exploring it is not particularly interesting, but it also isn't very long so that works in it's favor.

Kamoshida's castle, meanwhile, is absolutely beautifully crafted and was what told me I was in for a treat. It is also shockingly deep, it took me two solid nights of play-time to beat it. But everything from the look of the different floors, the puzzles, , the atmosphere, and the sheer scale of the place is masterfully done. I also love the bare-bone stealth system, because it meant I didn't have to fight that OP shadow lurking about just to get back to a safe room, which is a massive QoL improvement.
I'm really glad Atlus decided to leave the randomly generated dungeon for mementos and have each individual Palace hand-created in P5.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 10, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the randomly-generated dungeons are a thing in both Persona 3 and 4. In 3, it's all one dungeon, a giant tower called Tartarus, so it's functionally like if Mementos was the only dungeon in Persona 5. I actually don't really mind it, and it thematically worked well in 3, but the hand-crafted Palaces are a huge improvement in 5 and something I was incredibly excited about when the game was first revealed. P5's Palace dungeons, with light stealth and puzzle elements, are a lot of fun for me and I definitely prefer them to the random dungeon crawls in 3 and 4.

One thing I think Persona 3 and 4 definitely do better than 5 is plot pacing, and I think it's because, despite appearances, they're ultimately less episodic. Persona 4 has its episodic "victim of the month" structure, but ultimately everything ties into the central kidnapping/murder mystery plot, and each arc advances it. In Persona 3, there's one major plot about the full moon Shadows and exploring Tartarus, and everything feeds into that. Persona 5 doesn't really have that, and for the most part I actually like that. I liked that some of the targets were just bad people with too much power who needed to be brought to justice, while others, like Futaba, tie into a deeper plot that grows in prominence. The problem comes at the end, when the story tries to tie all of it together with Shido's conspiracy and everything just kind of becomes a big car wreck of a plot.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

My big thinking point is that Shido needed to be more of a villain, and his defeat needed to be tied more directly into the appearance of Yaldabaoth. Because with Shido gone and the election in shambles that's a perfect setup for the whole God of Control who's been tricking you the entire time to come out and use that need for leadership in a trying time to cement himself as the dominator of humanity born of it's desire to be dominated. If Shido's actual plans to rule and visible attempts to lead all of Japan were more visible and more out there, having suddenly have Yaldabaoth try to take over the world (which you could easily have stuff in Shido's palace of him desiring a return to imperial Japan and attempts at global dominance through technology or something) works out as basically something taking all the power Shido built and using it, perhaps having intentionally done so through his Igor trick. Separate out most of the other rulers except Futaba, Okumura, Sae and maybe Kaneshiro and you could probably then have more of Shido and his party throughout the game capitalising on the Phantom Thieves. Have more than just Akechi as his muscle in the metaverse, even if the other muscle is simply uniquely powerful shadows of his followers assigned to say, manage Sae in a way that's noticed, maybe have members of the conspiracy be Mementos targets too. This also ties into Maruki in turn taking the power over the world Yaldabaoth gained to do his thing be more visibly possible, if that power for Yaldabaoth came from Shido's initial push.

In terms of non-spoilers, Mementos is absolutely the best handling of the random dungeon thing in my opinion, at least once Royal fixes some of the most glaring issues with it. The designed palaces are definitely super cooll and stylish and help better make a story for the actual persona action fighting bits, instead of having to put all the plot into the real world or boss fights. If I had to make fixes, I'd say maybe having the random dungeon gain different appearances so that the visuals aren't so samey would help. Something like each palace having a remnant that looks like the random dungeons of P4. Could even keep the going down theme by having doors into main mementos at the bottom of each Palace Ruin.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 10, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I'm not a huge fan of Shido mostly because I find him to be pretty boring. I was laughing my rear end off during the fight though because I joked to myself that he's a boring Senator Armstrong from MGR:R when I heard one of his speeches earlier in the game. So when he actually turns into a less impressive version of Armstrong including a shirtless powerup and punching the ground to create a wall of flame I was laughing my rear end off. Springs, son. They do absolutely nothing in response to physical trauma.

He gets the best theme for his palace though and Rivers in the Desert is fantastic, obviously.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I agree with this reading. I think what would've helped make Shido work for me is some idea of what he actually wants to do with his power. We see that Shido wants power, and that he is capable of grabbing it, but we get very little idea of what he plans to do after that. He's just a distant conspiracy mastermind who is also just an awful narcissist with way too much power.

And I get why he's a major villain. The uniting theme of the villainous Palace rulers is that they have power over others and abuse that power. Shido, on paper, makes sense as the final one because he wields a lot of power and abuses it heavily. I just wanted more personality from him and, as you point out, I thought that the whole Grand Conspiracy angle was unnecessary and actually undermined some of the earlier villains.

Strikers doesn't really conflict with Royal, it just also doesn't acknowledge it. It's like how Persona 4 Arena didn't have anything from Persona 4 Golden in it, but in the end, both were considered canon. In the long run, it's probably safest to consider both Royal and Strikers as canon, and any inconsistencies that brings up are pretty easy to handwave.

The problem I have with him is that Shido has actually 0 power, he completely needs Akechi to do anything beyond being a typical scummy politician. His conspiracy entirely depends on Akechi. Adachi did stuff on his own.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, the randomly-generated dungeons are a thing in both Persona 3 and 4. In 3, it's all one dungeon, a giant tower called Tartarus, so it's functionally like if Mementos was the only dungeon in Persona 5. I actually don't really mind it, and it thematically worked well in 3, but the hand-crafted Palaces are a huge improvement in 5 and something I was incredibly excited about when the game was first revealed. P5's Palace dungeons, with light stealth and puzzle elements, are a lot of fun for me and I definitely prefer them to the random dungeon crawls in 3 and 4.

One thing I think Persona 3 and 4 definitely do better than 5 is plot pacing, and I think it's because, despite appearances, they're ultimately less episodic. Persona 4 has its episodic "victim of the month" structure, but ultimately everything ties into the central kidnapping/murder mystery plot, and each arc advances it. In Persona 3, there's one major plot about the full moon Shadows and exploring Tartarus, and everything feeds into that. Persona 5 doesn't really have that, and for the most part I actually like that. I liked that some of the targets were just bad people with too much power who needed to be brought to justice, while others, like Futaba, tie into a deeper plot that grows in prominence. The problem comes at the end, when the story tries to tie all of it together with Shido's conspiracy and everything just kind of becomes a big car wreck of a plot.

3 is also the game with like, 5 months of nothing actually happening.

Lord_Magmar posted:

In terms of non-spoilers, Mementos is absolutely the best handling of the random dungeon thing in my opinion, at least once Royal fixes some of the most glaring issues with it. The designed palaces are definitely super cooll and stylish and help better make a story for the actual persona action fighting bits, instead of having to put all the plot into the real world or boss fights. If I had to make fixes, I'd say maybe having the random dungeon gain different appearances so that the visuals aren't so samey would help. Something like each palace having a remnant that looks like the random dungeons of P4. Could even keep the going down theme by having doors into main mementos at the bottom of each Palace Ruin.

The best random dungeon was tartarus because (at least in p3p) you could change the music if you didn't like the default. :v:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 10, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

3 is paced terribly but I agree that 4 is actually paced pretty well. There's a real sense of narrative momentum accomplished by the plot recap scenes with the Investigation Team even when they're not really getting much done before Naoto shows up, plus the stronger group dynamic and more time devoted to scenes of just spending time with everyone allow for good opportunities to decompress in between story beats.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's been a really long time since I've played P3 so it's possible my memory of its storytelling is rosier in hindsight

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I've been working my way thru the P5 animation. I can't specifically remember how this scene played out in either version of the game, so it may not be an issue or I may have misunderstood something.

What is the exact rule for who can hear Morgana talk in the real world? Because at first they said it was merely being inside of Palace, then I seem to recall someone also saying they had to speak with him in a Palace.

Either way - why can't Sae understand him when they are all gathered at LeBlanc after the Akechi trick play-a-go-go?

Does she not slip into her own Palace when she shows him the phone? If not - why not? It's shown multiple times that anyone in close proximity to someone else using the Navi will also be pulled in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HaB posted:

So I've been working my way thru the P5 animation. I can't specifically remember how this scene played out in either version of the game, so it may not be an issue or I may have misunderstood something.

What is the exact rule for who can hear Morgana talk in the real world? Because at first they said it was merely being inside of Palace, then I seem to recall someone also saying they had to speak with him in a Palace.

Either way - why can't Sae understand him when they are all gathered at LeBlanc after the Akechi trick play-a-go-go?

Does she not slip into her own Palace when she shows him the phone? If not - why not? It's shown multiple times that anyone in close proximity to someone else using the Navi will also be pulled in.

The exact rule is: you have to have heard Morgana talk in the Metaverse. So Sae can't hear Morgana speak in the real world because, even though she's been to the Metaverse, she didn't hear Morgana talk there.

This also implies that Akechi had been spying on the Phantom Thieves as early as Kaneshiro's Palace, which is confirmed outright in the anime.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Harrow posted:

The exact rule is: you have to have heard Morgana talk in the Metaverse. So Sae can't hear Morgana speak in the real world because, even though she's been to the Metaverse, she didn't hear Morgana talk there.

This also implies that Akechi had been spying on the Phantom Thieves as early as Kaneshiro's Palace, which is confirmed outright in the anime.

Ah okay. Yeah I figured I had just misunderstood and hadn't all of a sudden found a GAPING PLOT HOLE in it. Thanks.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
poo poo. Forgive the double post, but side question 2:

Should I bother watching the OG P4 animation when I also have the P4G one?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HaB posted:

poo poo. Forgive the double post, but side question 2:

Should I bother watching the OG P4 animation when I also have the P4G one?

Quite frankly you should watch the dub og P4 animation as it is amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The P4G anime is a totally different beast, in addition to not being great. The P4 anime is a retelling of the game with some interesting creative decisions, the P4G anime pretty much only focuses on the new stuff.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

P4 animation has the amazing novelty of Troy Baker doing anime for twelve episodes long after he'd left anime behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'll join in the chorus and say the P4 Anime is actually pretty good and has a great dub, so watch that one. The P4G anime is... not very good.

The P4 anime is significantly better than the P5 one.