Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

Every Godzilla movie is some other movie except sometimes giant monsters show up. It's part and parcel of the genre, for the same reason today that it was half a century ago - having giant monster fights on screen all the time is loving expensive so you need the human actors to fill in time by talking to aliens dressed in tin-foil outfits or having extremely low key car chases or having Matrix fights with superpowered mutants.

Yeah but at least those had the decency to bad in cheesy fun and/or hilarious ways and not just...bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Godzilla 14 is a great film and the movie people describe when they talk about how to 'fix it' sounds terrible.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

Yeah but at least those had the decency to bad in cheesy fun and/or hilarious ways and not just...bad

I think the strength of the monster bits in KOTM make up for the weakness of the human bits but I can also see why someone wouldn't like the movie full stop because of them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked Shin Godzilla a lot, that's my contribution to this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

but I can also see why someone wouldn't like the movie full stop because of them.

I mean don't get me wrong, I rewatched it 2 or 3 weeks ago and the last half hour is some great looking kaiju action but the human bits in the preceding two hours are easily less interesting than pretty much anything in the old godzilla movies because kotm plays it totally straight and none of it is good. At least camouflaged lizard aliens and fairy girls who sing a song to communicate with mothra and stuff is entertaining

Kotm is worth watching for the actual action parts, they're just wrapped up in crap

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

The same team made an Ultraman movie. (I don't think it is out yet.)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Jamesman posted:

All I ever really want out of Snyder discourse is for people to realize the Dawn of the Dead remake is terrible.

This is true. And it is also his best movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Happy Hippo posted:

This is true. And it is also his best movie.
:lol: Alright.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Arist posted:

Yeah, that was a cool movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blockhouse posted:

Every Godzilla movie is some other movie except sometimes giant monsters show up. It's part and parcel of the genre, for the same reason today that it was half a century ago - having giant monster fights on screen all the time is loving expensive so you need the human actors to fill in time by talking to aliens dressed in tin-foil outfits or having extremely low key car chases or having Matrix fights with superpowered mutants.

And I'd say KOTM had way less human stuff than most and way better fights than all of them. I'm not going to say the human stuff is good but just that the only time the human stuff has ever been good is, like, the original and Shin. That's how kaiju movies are. That's the buy-in you take or leave.

One of the reasons I like Godzilla 2000 is that the human elements are extremely well integrated with the monster stuff. Almost every major character is partly motivated by Godzilla's existence or past actions, even before he shows up in the film.

For contrast, most of the cast in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is motivated by trying to get two people to go on a date.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The only human that bugged me in KOM was that old guy that kept making dad jokes. Even then I'd take him over the boring lead of the 2014 movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

The same team made an Ultraman movie. (I don't think it is out yet.)

Wait what? Does it also feature Eva music on it?

*kettle drums and horns intensify*

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think the basic story of it was Batman started seeing Lois after Superman died out of a sense of feeling it was his fault and he needed to look after her, but fell in love with her. And to get Superman back he would need to give her up.

All of which sounds like reasonable character beats to me.

If you considered Lois not a character in her own right but a vehicle for manpain, sure.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fangz posted:

If you considered Lois not a character in her own right but a vehicle for manpain, sure.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Wait what? Does it also feature Eva music on it?

*kettle drums and horns intensify*

uh you mentioned drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnYP1yzSe5E

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

everyone always talks about lois lane, but never man's pain

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
may i interest you in a book by tom king?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That looks kick rear end.

Hey someone involved with these remake Inframan.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The United States posted:

You really gonna try to pull this Trumper bullshit here and now? You trying to tell us that teamblue got everything they wanted when the traitor who tried to pull a coup is in fact not in prison but being praised and congratulated and rehabilitated right now in anticipation of yet another go at killing more americans than any world leader in history? You're rehabilitating him right now by telling us his very real crimes are just conspiracy theory BS? For this analogy to hold any water Joss Whedon would have a deal for a brand new trilogy that picks up where Josstice League left off to be released on Disney+ in 2024 and his toadies would be all over social media telling us how great Josstice League really was and there will be more like that coming just you wait.

I'm a leftist you loving idiot. You're the right winger here, supporting Biden. And yes, him not being in prison is part of the plan. If one of the other guys can be held accountable for their myriad crimes while in office, their guys could be too! Besides, my post wasn't even comparing them to the administration. It was comparing them to YOU. Go back to the khive and keep blaming everything you don't like on the Jewish guy though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Vince MechMahon posted:

You're the right winger here, supporting Biden.
Folks, what a sentence we have here, and a rare treat too to see C-SPAM outside of its natural habitat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, Disney had an investor call and it seems like they're not going to flinch on the Black Widow release date this time and aren't going digital. Which sucks, considering the obvious safety concerns and also that Raya doesn't seem to have done well in theaters. So... May 7th. I strongly doubt I will have received the vaccine by then.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I genuinely don’t understand the logic behind insisting on a theatrical release for the one movie people would actually pay $30 to rent on your streaming service. Especially with the MCU stuff back in the public eye after two years with WandaVision and TF&TWS.

Chapek is a loving idiot and I can’t believe he makes me miss Iger.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I genuinely don’t understand the logic behind insisting on a theatrical release
You gotta admit "oh so Black Widow finally gets her own movie and you just treat it as DTV eh?" takes practically write themselves

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I genuinely don’t understand the logic behind insisting on a theatrical release for the one movie people would actually pay $30 to rent on your streaming service. Especially with the MCU stuff back in the public eye after two years with WandaVision and TF&TWS.

If I had to bet I'd say there's two reasons. One is sheerly for the optics of having people come out in droves to theaters because it looks good in commercials and probably investor meetings. The other reason is that they've probably got some kind of merchandising deal with the theater chains that they've got to honor so they can sell their commemorative Black Widow cups or whatever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Folks, what a sentence we have here, and a rare treat too to see C-SPAM outside of its natural habitat.

His policies are all right wing and if the overton window in this country wasn't so hosed he would be a republican. Him being slightly better than one of the worst people alive isn't the home run you guys seem to think it is. And it's getting real hard to even say he's slightly better, what with him reopening the child concentration camps back to pre-covid levels while the pandemic is still ongoing.

See, this is exactly why the Snyder cut people are guys like you and not really maga guys. Any criticism of the horrible thing you've hitched your wagon to and you have a little meltdown over it. Just like a lot of the hardcore Snyder weirdos. It's all the same brain worms, just different strains.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 10, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a billion threads I can go to on this forum if I want to see lame-rear end political slapfights between white dudes mad about how insufficiently left/too left other white dudes are I'm asking you all to please not make this one of them

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Make BSS Great Again

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I for one can’t wait to see what this thread looks like once the Snyder Cut is actually out :suspense:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This made me lol

https://youtu.be/Qe2jKs7sfrs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I for one can’t wait to see what this thread looks like once the Snyder Cut is actually out :suspense:

I just want someone to review the lunchbox.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Roth posted:

Make BSS Great Again

Gotta get everyone back in the puppet avatars.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Cael posted:

Gotta get everyone back in the puppet avatars.

Some of us never left.

Edit: Mostly because I'm too lazy and cheap.

Lager fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 10, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Venom 2 is supposed to be out in June

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Davros1 posted:

June/July feels like a more realistic, if not exactly safe, schedule to put movies back in theaters. You're looking at 60-75% of the country fully or partially vaccinated by July, as opposed to ~40% by May 7th.

Plus everyone's going to go bugfuck crazy this summer no matter what the CDC recommends.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sir this is a Wendy's drive thru

site fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 10, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Davros1 posted:

What is Sony's streaming service

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Arist posted:

Anyway, Disney had an investor call and it seems like they're not going to flinch on the Black Widow release date this time and aren't going digital. Which sucks, considering the obvious safety concerns and also that Raya doesn't seem to have done well in theaters. So... May 7th. I strongly doubt I will have received the vaccine by then.

I might get my shots in July or August. And half the movie theaters in my city closed down for good. So what a shame, because I'm not an idiot that's gonna get covid19 for a movie.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would gladly pay for premium access if it was cheaper. The loving prices D+ has in my country are nuts.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TwoPair posted:

If I had to bet I'd say there's two reasons. One is sheerly for the optics of having people come out in droves to theaters because it looks good in commercials and probably investor meetings. The other reason is that they've probably got some kind of merchandising deal with the theater chains that they've got to honor so they can sell their commemorative Black Widow cups or whatever.
But on the other hand, and at this point it's bizarre they don't see it, they're running the risk of becoming Tenet 2: Underwhelming Opening Weekend Boogaloo. May 7th is too early to do pre-pandemic numbers and if they hype themselves up as being the big EVERYTHING'S NORMAL COME OUT TO THE MOVIES EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE DEATHTRAPS thing and then don't do a $100 million opening weekend, what then?

Desperado Bones posted:

I would gladly pay for premium access if it was cheaper. The loving prices D+ has in my country are nuts.
Is your country America, because $30 per movie is goddamn absurd.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

March 26 for me, almost there to sweet sweet vaccination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

March 26 for me, almost there to sweet sweet vaccination

I get my first dose on Friday so by the time stuff starts coming out I should be good to go.