Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kinda get a tulip market in old Amsterdam feeling for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

At least you can still get old psych/prog rock records for penny candy prices. And classical. But that seems to be about the extent of it

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

Kinda get a tulip market in old Amsterdam feeling for some reason

I hope so. If the bubble bursts and people are just trying to unload their poo poo I will be buying the gently caress out of everything.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

At least you can still get old psych/prog rock records for penny candy prices. And classical. But that seems to be about the extent of it

Psych rock is definitely not stuff that's typically cheap.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Good Psych rock is definitely not stuff that's typically cheap.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Speaking of psyche rock. I found this last week.... Purchased their entire back catalogue instantly after I finished listening to this album.

https://sunnataofficial.bandcamp.com/album/burning-in-heaven-melting-on-earth

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’m going to stop giving money to people who don’t make enough of things. Your fomo will have to gomo somo-where else. The game only works if you participate.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I’m going to stop giving money to people who don’t make enough of things. Your fomo will have to gomo somo-where else. The game only works if you participate.

Oh hey, remember that time Mondo ruined Death Waltz?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hey, thread, I need a hand remembering the proper name for a vinyl gimmick device/media I had when I was a kid in the early 80s, and googling for phrases related to it isn't coming up with anything useful

It was a sort of miniature record player, but the records were like 2" square clear vinyl squares stuck to larger cards that you'd slip into the back of the device to play. It had a beige housing and was basically a rectangular lump the size of a game boy with a large speaker grille cut into the front and three buttons (open, play, stop) at the top. The back plate, which clamped the card to the device, was clear plastic. The stylus was built into the back of the device and would spin around the groove when you pushed the play button. The cards I had were a set of animal cards, and the vinyl portion was a narration that talked about the animal for like thirty seconds, then there'd be thirty seconds of that animal's mating call or whatever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't remember him showing that one specifically, but Techmoan on youtube more or less specializes in obscure formats exactly like that. Might be worth your while to look through his uploads and see if any of the thumbnails ring a bell.

pwn
May 27, 2004

I know I’ve seen a video of his with that technology, if I can actually find it I’d be shocked.

Completely fake edit: I think this is the only thing I’m gonna find, it’s not the same but here enjoy it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quF45LvBtwA

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

pwn posted:

I know I’ve seen a video of his with that technology, if I can actually find it I’d be shocked.

Completely fake edit: I think this is the only thing I’m gonna find, it’s not the same but here enjoy it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quF45LvBtwA

This isn't the same thing, but it definitely has some of the same concepts going on

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

No I did not but I’m learning about it now and i can feel my blood pressure spiking

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

pwn posted:

No I did not but I’m learning about it now and i can feel my blood pressure spiking

Where are you reading about this?

pwn
May 27, 2004

IG-88 posted:

Where are you reading about this?

discogs comments!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

hexwren posted:

This isn't the same thing, but it definitely has some of the same concepts going on

Did you watch the entire video? The sports talk device he shows at 9:10 seems to roughly fit your description. Maybe it was a rework of that?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Lol the version of the new Have a Nice Life pressing that I bought is already selling on discogs for $100

Love this stupid hobby

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

midge posted:

Did you watch the entire video? The sports talk device he shows at 9:10 seems to roughly fit your description. Maybe it was a rework of that?

No, but skipping to that spot now, my previous statement stands

Also, the device I'm thinking of came out several years before that.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 8, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Aside from the various other things Mondo did, back when Death Waltz was still Death Waltz it was still cheaper to buy one of their records and have it sent to the US from the UK than the retail price of most Mondo releases. And they didn't lean into fomo so hard and would actually keep poo poo in print.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

hahahahah, I saw that Mondo was distributing a new reissue of Return of the Living Dead, and the description made me want to throw things:

The zombies run in Return of the Living Dead. :argh:

...this doubles as a post letting everyone know they need a copy of the soundtrack to Return of the Living Dead, by the way

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

hahahahah, I saw that Mondo was distributing a new reissue of Return of the Living Dead, and the description made me want to throw things:

...this doubles as a post letting everyone know they need a copy of the soundtrack to Return of the Living Dead, by the way

Is the reissue from a few years ago out of print or something?

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

IG-88 posted:

I’m always on top of this poo poo and I missed TMV reissue/issue. I’m so loving mad right now gently caress YOU

The set is available for preorder through SRC Vinyl for $599.99 now. Seems to be the same set, wondering if they bought up copies from Clouds Hill to do it, but still probably cheaper than whatever people try to flip them for.

https://www.srcvinyl.com/mars-volta...yyiJvWvjlvoVT2Z

I'm still not going for it, $600 is too much scratch when I only "need" two or three of those albums.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Anyone ever buy from oldies.com? I grabbed a bunch of stuff from their 99¢ singles. Shipping wasn't terrible for the 45's. I think it was a buck each or something Shipping gets a little weird with 12" though. Pretty cheesy selection but I found some fun stuff. It kinda scratched that flea market itch.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Is the reissue from a few years ago out of print or something?

It's been in production as of last year

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Return-Of-The-Living-Dead-Original-Soundtrack/release/16015538

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

sporklift posted:

Anyone ever buy from oldies.com? I grabbed a bunch of stuff from their 99¢ singles. Shipping wasn't terrible for the 45's. I think it was a buck each or something Shipping gets a little weird with 12" though. Pretty cheesy selection but I found some fun stuff. It kinda scratched that flea market itch.

Years ago this thread shared a sale where they had a ton of LPs at really good prices, like half of what Amazon would list them for. It was hit or miss if they actually had the stuff but they were pretty good about refunding you if it was out of stock.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Some good poo poo in the mail today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXFV3nkzwNE

Also got that John Carpenter zoetrope slipmat, but I dunno if the printing is too low res or what but it doesn't look anywhere near as cool as it did on the website :sigh:

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 9, 2021

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

caligulamprey posted:

At least Tar Man does. Maybe they forgot and thought all the other zombies were like that, too.

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry
In case anyone refers to this thread for new reissues/releases that they might otherwise miss, Stranded is reissuing the Gordons' EP and LP for a price that isn't in the Discogs standard $100+ range. Some good post-punk poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjDcULWE1HY

edit: Or order on their Bandcamp instead

funk_mata fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 10, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Years ago this thread shared a sale where they had a ton of LPs at really good prices, like half of what Amazon would list them for. It was hit or miss if they actually had the stuff but they were pretty good about refunding you if it was out of stock.

They had a whole bunch of copies of the TerrorVision soundtrack that were selling for some ridiculously low price like two dollars or something. I bought the poo poo out of that. I think Dissappointed Owl bought several copies.

pwn
May 27, 2004

funk_mata posted:

In case anyone refers to this thread for new reissues/releases that they might otherwise miss, Stranded is reissuing the Gordons' EP and LP for a price that isn't in the Discogs standard $100+ range. Some good post-punk poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjDcULWE1HY

edit: Or order on their Bandcamp instead

Listened to this on my walk tonight and I approve. Boughted on large and small plastic disc :thumbsup:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I'll never forgive. Never forget.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So my mom moved into a smaller place, and I inhereted my dad's old turntable that he had when I was growing up. It's technics SL-BD22 and I've got it hooked up to some old speakers I had. I also got both parent's collection of vinyl (probably a hundred records from the sixties and seventies, some good stuff, some... questionable stuff) and it's all in decent enough shape. I replaced the cartridge (I think it was the original 30-year-old unit) and right now my biggest problem is just speaker placement.

The biggest question I have right now is, when my dad had it set up he had some kind of 'disc saver' that the RCA cables went through. It has AC power and seems like some kind of battery backup. It has RCA inputs and outputs. But when I had the turntable routed through there, the sound was muddled. It sounded like poo poo. If I bypass it, it sounds fine. What's the deal with that? Is it necessary and am I hooking it up wrong somehow? I'm assuming it's so that if we lose power, a disc that's playing won't stop immediately.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 10, 2021

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Is it a QED Discsaver? That’s just a phono preamplifier.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

lament.cfg posted:

Is it a QED Discsaver? That’s just a phono preamplifier.

Yep that's it. I don't think I need it... right? It sounds fine without it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

CornHolio posted:

Yep that's it. I don't think I need it... right? It sounds fine without it.

Yep. A preamp takes audio from your tt and brings it up to line level. Sounds like that’s happening elsewhere in your setup.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Nice mail day. Some vaporwave and another lovely shipping packing method by Target. I'm loving done ordering from them. Thankfully last 2 times they've refunded the records. I won't bother complaining this time though, it wasn't too hosed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got some cool poo poo from Walmart of all places today, I missed the KG pre-order and they had the cheapest price online. Packaged very well too, I was impressed.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Enos Cabell posted:

Got some cool poo poo from Walmart of all places today, I missed the KG pre-order and they had the cheapest price online. Packaged very well too, I was impressed.

Nice. I really dig K.G. and L.W. I'll have to pick them up at some time.

I got this really nice 45 tote.

Lucky me it came stuffed with records!

Oh. never mind. A bunch of no sleeve, scuffed, dirty as hell easy listening records. These people meticulously organize their records and then trash em. The tote is in really great condition though. I'm starting down the path of organizing my 45's finally.

Edit:
Huh. That version of St Louis Blues isn't too bad. Maybe some other good stuff in there.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 12, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

I'm legit impressed they bothered to run that through a typewriter. As for my 45s I just stack them in the black and white mod tote my mother was given in the 1960s for her birthday, complete with the single Happy Birthday by Steppenwolf inside.

I actually did pick up half a dozen 80s pop 45s from the thrift store recently but my big prize was a promo copy of Whoomp There it Is by Tag Team. Full album too, not DJ remixes of the title track. I haven't had time to clean any of the records but they all appear to be in good to great shape outside of the dust. The only downer is that a goodwill employee noticed Whoomp and accordingly marked it up to $7.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hey neat got a copy of the Chemical Brothers live album box set for 60 canadian on sale from 120. Then today it's 120 on sale from 160 so I guess it was a misprice. this stuff never works out for me!

it's a very nice package, cool art prints etc. wish the DVD had all their music videos on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Enos Cabell posted:

K.G. slaps :hfive: