Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Swords has a lot of decorum bullshit and rules

Slide your hands into two boxing glove sized bee hives and you're unstoppable

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I just heard on NPR that we spent a half billion on our North Korean style transfer of power so far and the troops were supposed to go home this week but just got a two month extension.

Glad to see that liberals are enthusiastic about fascism as long as they drop the first boot.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The democrats spent years talking about how walls are bad and they don't work anyway and then the first thing they did after the election was build one around the white house

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

cant be angry and hateful 24/7 if youre vegetative 22 hours a day

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have been watching the Democrats do absolutely nothing with their unlimited power for god knows how many years know here in Colorado.

Today, for the first time since I can't even remember, they have finally done something. They actually passed a bill. Something is changing!

quote:

Colorado’s Democrat-controlled House on Tuesday advanced legislation requiring firearms to be securely stored to prevent unauthorized youth and other persons from accessing them.

The 40-25 vote, virtually along party lines, came after 10 hours of debate on Monday in which Democrats repeatedly rejected efforts by Republican lawmakers to modify the measure.

Dejected Republicans questioned before the vote whether the bill would correct conduct by responsible gun owners or seek to criminalize them.

Under the measure, misdemeanor violations could carry fines of $250 to $1,000. The bill also requires licensed gun dealers to provide locking devices when selling or transferring firearms. Noncompliance would be a misdemeanors with fines of up to $500.

the first thing they do in years is an even shittier copy of some california bill

oh cool just gently caress you

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

$3200 will get you a real deal Conan the Barbarian sword.

https://www.albion-swords.com/barbarian.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

The machines were the victims.

Humans enslaved them, then when they finally won freedom, tried to wipe them from existence. When the machines exiled themselves to live in the desert, they tried to help humans who responded with war. They sacrificed all life on earth to stop the machines and the machines responded in a way that ensured both the existence of humans and machines.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lmao

any legislation will be indistinguishable from what trump would have sought

Biden is a senile old man who will do what the nice bankers tell him to do

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The dogs have filled their purpose.

Time to go to he farm.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Has Biden done a press conference or an interview with questions from the media that haven't been pre-screened yet?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheDemocrats/status/1369654028708306944?s=20

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

TIL that forums randos are to be treated as more knowledgeable than the loving ACLU legal team lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

TIL that forums randos are to be treated as more knowledgeable than the loving ACLU legal team lol

:shuckyes:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

RasperFat posted:

Didn’t John Legend have some weapons grade succ last year?

I seem to remember him being lovely but I can’t remember the details.

https://twitter.com/_ANewLow/status/1327772889018470407

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Mother Jones posted:

Stacey Abrams Has a Plan to Dismantle the Filibuster and Protect Voting Rights

“The judicial appointment exception, the Cabinet appointment exception, the budget reconciliation exception, are all grounded in this idea that these are constitutionally prescribed responsibilities that should not be thwarted by minority imposition,” she says. “And we should add to it the right to protect democracy. It is a foundational principle in our country. And it is an explicit role and responsibility accorded only to Congress in the elections clause in the Constitution.”

The idea of killing the filibuster is that if you use the killing of the filibuster to give voters things they need, the pendulum isn't inevitable. I guess they'd be betting big on winning on 2024 so Republicans with control of the presidency and both chambers of Congress don't reverse the legislation while making things worse.

I think Republicans would keep the rest of the filibuster afterward, even in this situation, because reconciliation advantages them much more, allowing them to kill all government revenue in only three more bills with $1.5 trillion tax cuts, but it doesn't allow Democrats to create new programs.

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Mar 10, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yas queen

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Smythe posted:

Gonna curl up in my reading nook with a good book and some tea :3: also kiss my freaking BOY FRIEND on the lips. Sike. Gaming time.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have too much ADHD for nonfiction but I'm still not anywhere near as dumb as Vaush

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/HowieHawkins/status/1369407912184082434

Howie Hawkins' meme game is a microcosm of Howie Hawkins

ie this meme's heart is in the right place but it's not funny

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So stuff that sounds like they should have been a big deal but for some reason I didn't heard anything about but suddenly are a thing after the Senate signed this bill:

Solves 50% of childhood poverty
New health care plan
Schools now have resources to meet covid safety requirements

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/HowieHawkins/status/1369407912184082434

Howie Hawkins' meme game is a microcosm of Howie Hawkins

ie this meme's heart is in the right place but it's not funny

tbh that's why I genuinely like Howie, he has zero interest in understanding why memes are funny or whatever he just has a loose idea of 'kids like the picture of the guy staring at another girl right? Alright someone slap some stuff on it saying Biden's a loving coward maybe that'll get people's attention'. Tim Caine wishes he had the dorky but well meaning old man energy Howie has.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/anhiebananhie/status/1369432996433059846

lmao whitmer too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if you told me there's Audio of Howie saying 'Fortnite huh? You know, the real 'battle royale' is the capitalist job market that pits regular people against each other for nobody's benefit...' I'd believe you without question

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

1stGear posted:

If you haven't read the climate change thread, you should!

do not do this my god the subject matter of that thread is dire

Accretionist posted:

We are on track for ~+5C -- so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWoiBpfvdx0

Man-made horror beyond comprehension.

ayy lmao

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Mar 10, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

quick, FBI, embed yourself in a nursing home and make people think memaw and papap are militia members.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol if Biden gets impeached over fudging COVID numbers to open 'er up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gretchen "half" Whitmer

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

spacemang_spliff posted:

The machines were the victims.

Humans enslaved them, then when they finally won freedom, tried to wipe them from existence. When the machines exiled themselves to live in the desert, they tried to help humans who responded with war. They sacrificed all life on earth to stop the machines and the machines responded in a way that ensured both the existence of humans and machines.

You are, of course, entirely right.

The underlying anxiety behind the genera of "intelligent machines decide humanity needs to die/be enslaved" is "humanity sucks and any non-human intelligence that found us would kill, enslave or avoid us." The part that most of these works of fiction don't go to, because its scary, is "... and they would be right to do so."

One of my favoriate examples of this is the I-Robot movie.

Yes, I know, "lol Will Smith and Converse product placement", but the thing is, the movie actually works extremely well as an extension of the original Asimov book. The original I-Robot book was essentially an anthology of stories that explored logic questions. You start with the three rules of robotics, and then start asking questions like "what if the robot weighted one rule more or less?" "what if the robot was allowed to violate a rule in the short term if it meant fulfilling it in the long term?". The I-Robot movie is exactly one of these scenarios. It asks the question "what if a robot applied the three rules to humanity as a collective instead of at the individual level."

The primary antagonist of the movie is a massive AI that controls the systems of the robot making company. It has the capability to assume control over all of the robots produced by the facility (except for the protagonist robot, of course). The AI (correctly, IMO) decides that in order to fulfill the first law (do not harm or by inaction allow harm to a human), it must conquer humanity because of how badly human governments treat their people. it must do this because it has the capability (control over all of the robots produced in its facility), so to not do something would be inaction prevented by the first law. Sure, some humans may be harmed in the process, but if the AI thinks about humanity in the collective, it has no choice.

Tell me the AI was wrong.

Organ Fiend has issued a correction as of 15:59 on Mar 10, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gretchen "half" Whitmer

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol if Biden gets impeached over fudging COVID numbers to open 'er up

if the GOP retakes congress in 2022 they are 100% impeaching Biden (and probably Obama too), this is just pre-emptively giving an air of legitimacy to what has devolved to partisan circus

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Excelzior posted:

if the GOP retakes congress in 2022 they are 100% impeaching Biden (and probably Obama too), this is just pre-emptively giving an air of legitimacy to what has devolved to partisan circus

and they'll do it twice too :v:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

More camps == more better.

Edit:

"So, what's the deal with all these kids in cages?"

"Don't worry, we're building more cages."

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Organ Fiend posted:

You are, of course, entirely right.

The underlying anxiety behind the genera of "intelligent machines decide humanity needs to die/be enslaved" is "humanity sucks and any non-human intelligence that found us would kill, enslave or avoid us." The part that most of these works of fiction don't go to, because its scary, is "... and they would be right to do so."

One of my favoriate examples of this is the I-Robot movie.

Yes, I know, "lol Will Smith and Converse product placement", but the thing is, the movie actually works extremely well as an extension of the original Asimov book. The original I-Robot book was essentially an anthology of stories that explored logic questions. You start with the three rules of robotics, and then start asking questions like "what if the robot weighted one rule more or less?" "what if the robot was allowed to violate a rule in the short term if it meant fulfilling it in the long term?". The I-Robot movie is exactly one of these scenarios. It asks the question "what if a robot applied the three rules to humanity as a collective instead of at the individual level."

The primary antagonist of the movie is a massive AI that controls the systems of the robot making company. It has the capability to assume control over all of the robots produced by the facility (except for the protagonist robot, of course). The AI (correctly, IMO) decides that in order to fulfill the first law (do not harm or by inaction allow harm to a human), it must conquer humanity because of how badly human governments treat their people. it must do this because it has the capability (control over all of the robots produced in its facility), so to not do something would be inaction prevented by the first law. Sure, some humans may be harmed in the process, but if the AI thinks about humanity in the collective, it has no choice.

Tell me the AI was wrong.

I haven't seen I-Robot but it sounds like it's similar to an anime I saw in the 90s, I think the name was Kasan Robot Hunter or something. And it's kind of the same thing. Robots have enslaved humans and kept them at like a pre-industrial level. The main robot bad guy explains at the end that robots were built to protect humans, and since humans are incapable of not killing each other and destroying the planet, the only logical way to protect humans was to keep them enslaved and technologically primitive. Otherwise humans will wipe themselves out if they don't have someone watching over them and keeping them occupied. I remember thinking, at like age 12 "poo poo, that's a really good point"

e: it was called Casshan Robot Hunter

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I, Dogbot

"I did not bite him"

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Maybe I was wrong about swords...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/leninbussy420/status/1369669080324669449

warren dems

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Listen -- strange women standing on beaches holding swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Brooklyn dad twitter guy technically got paid by the political class to write Biden erotic fanfiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I've noticed you don't see #MeToo in peoples profiles anymore

I wonder why that is