Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ytlaya posted:

Is it just me or is Gambler kind of bad? Even the best rolls on its chance-based skills seem to just give "okay" damage.

It can apparently increase drop-rate and money, but can't you just use Thief's "Mag Pie" + Steal for the former (and the latter is kind of irrelevant since I always have way more cash than I know what to do with in this game)?

There are some enemies where drops are not the same as steals, and in that case, the rare drop up is really really nice. Leaving it on as you run around dungeons nets you a lot of random rare weapons, items, and booster buns too.

That being said, aoe stealing from enemies with magpie is another good way to get those things, and if you can spare it, it's worth doing both just to get those incidentally useful items as you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm trying to get the special weapon drop from the trial fights for the very last asterisk you can get and it's proving very annoying!

I have a large number of one of the companion weapons but not the one I need.

Throwing out a targets all Godspeed Strike for 40000+ on each target, which is then doubled when the DoT ticks for a grand total of zero ability points spent (if paired with another classes' asterisk sword.)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 10, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I had the rare drop ability on two of my characters in the sewer/Institute dungeon and now I have 35 mythril shields, what do I do with all of these???

But seriously, it’s funny to get a rare drop and be like “ooh neat” and then get 27 more and no longer be impressed :geno:

Edit: I’m currently struggling in random battles because I want to level up new jobs but none of the ones I’m using are good at clearing mobs. I was digging Elvis as a Red Mage with Black Magic sub for major destruction with Chainspell but I want to level him up in new jobs. Pictomancer is kinda eh apart from that one amazing ability.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 10, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Depending on how inclined you are to grind, Leanan Sith near Halcyonia/the dungeon up top is your easiest and best JP grind and will be for a very long time. Chain battles are slower overall until you have the tools to clear them super quick, at which point Leanan is probably a one attack kill and quicker still.

(You run into the dungeon and respawn it, and with the freelancer boosts you're getting maybe a good 400 jp every minute, probably more overall)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 10, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Depending on how inclined you are to grind, Leanan Sith near Halcyonia/the dungeon up top is your easiest and best JP grind and will be for a very long time. Chain battles are slower overall until you have the tools to clear them super quick, at which point Leanan is probably a one attack kill and quicker still.

(You run into the dungeon and respawn it, and with the freelancer boosts you're getting maybe a good 400 jp every minute, probably more overall)

When does that become available

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Immediately and you can kill it in the prologue when you have Sloan to carry.

It's a hard fight for a while but by the time you have the thief, you can godspeed it and grind it out pretty easy, and then when you can kill it, the easier it gets.

You can also poison it and stall it out with healing/defaulting. It has 13,000 hp and takes 500 a poison tick, roughly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I had the rare drop ability on two of my characters in the sewer/Institute dungeon and now I have 35 mythril shields, what do I do with all of these???

But seriously, it’s funny to get a rare drop and be like “ooh neat” and then get 27 more and no longer be impressed :geno:

Edit: I’m currently struggling in random battles because I want to level up new jobs but none of the ones I’m using are good at clearing mobs. I was digging Elvis as a Red Mage with Black Magic sub for major destruction with Chainspell but I want to level him up in new jobs. Pictomancer is kinda eh apart from that one amazing ability.

Stick berserker as a sub on someone and give them barehanded from monk. They'll have solid dmg output regardless of their main job and you can clear trash with level strike. Toss on a headband and power bracers for further dmg boosts.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I probably shouldn't be level 8 before fighting the first bosses, but oh well, i like to curb stomp

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ytlaya posted:

Is it just me or is Gambler kind of bad? Even the best rolls on its chance-based skills seem to just give "okay" damage.

Gamblers own bones and one of the bosses I fought was with 4x Gamblers.

The special is really nice (full MP for everybody) and Flash the Cash does fixed damage that appears to ignore resistances (though not defaulting).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Immediately and you can kill it in the prologue when you have Sloan to carry.

It's a hard fight for a while but by the time you have the thief, you can godspeed it and grind it out pretty easy, and then when you can kill it, the easier it gets.

You can also poison it and stall it out with healing/defaulting. It has 13,000 hp and takes 500 a poison tick, roughly.

I think I may have fought this one, what kind of creature is it? Is it the blue spirit thingie chilling?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think I may have fought this one, what kind of creature is it? Is it the blue spirit thingie chilling?

It's a pink flower thing, pretty sure.

Also, poison doesn't seem to scale at all, ever. It does 500 damage at the beginning of the game, which is a lot, and does 500 damage at the end, which is nothing.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Chapter 6: What does Freelancer's "Limit Break" passive do? It says doubles stat bonuses received but is that like, from equipment?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It can apparently increase drop-rate and money, but can't you just use Thief's "Mag Pie" + Steal for the former (and the latter is kind of irrelevant since I always have way more cash than I know what to do with in this game)?

Gambler solely exists for the rare drop ability as far as I can tell. Stealing can accomplish the same thing most of the time, but it really helps when you're chaining enemies to grind JP since you're getting tons of buns as drops; if you're grinding anyways, getting hundreds of buns on the side for no extra work is really convenient.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How do you do big chains? Everytime I've used a chain item it has basically given me between 2 and 5 encounters and then the chain ends

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do you do big chains? Everytime I've used a chain item it has basically given me between 2 and 5 encounters and then the chain ends

Corral multiple field enemies together so their battles naturally chain, and also use a chain item. It's pretty easy to do this on the beach by the prologue town and get a 10 battle chain.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm mid chapter 2 now so those guys will be peanuts. Although I am interested in anyone dropping speed buns

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They're not good EXP but they're great for JP. A 10-battle chain at night there is enough to get a job from level 1 to like level 9 if you have the Freelancer JP passives.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

I'm mid chapter 2 now so those guys will be peanuts. Although I am interested in anyone dropping speed buns

The blue flaming horses in the north of the prologue map drop speed buns, but I could never get a lot of them in a chain battle. My main grinding spot was (ch 2 spoilers) floor 7 of the tree dungeon in Wiswald right at the top of the center staircase since you could scare enemies into the bottom right corner; I don't know which ones specifically drop them, but each battle would usually drop 3 to 4 speed buns with rare talent (along with 600 to 1200 jp).

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 10, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

PageMaster posted:

The blue flaming horses in the north of the prologue map drop speed buns, but I could never get a lot of them in a chain battle. My main grinding spot was (ch 3 spoilers) floor 7 of the tree dungeon in Wiswald right at the top of the center staircase since you could scare enemies into the bottom right corner; I don't know which ones specifically drop them, but each battle would usually drop 3 to 4 speed buns with rare talent (along with 600 to 1200 jp).

When you say with rare talent you mean on everybody I assume right?

Also isn't Wiswald chapter 2? That's where I am right now, I think I'm about to go into that very dungeon

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

PageMaster posted:

The blue flaming horses in the north of the prologue map drop speed buns, but I could never get a lot of them in a chain battle.

You need to fight them at night and with food active to get the swarms. The waves end up being 5-6 horses at night and 1-2 during the day.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You'll get one or two speed buns a fight on average with 4 rare drop up passives from a Savalon job from the horses even without a swarm. If you're farming the rare for JP there, kill them if they spawn in your way but don't worry about it otherwise imo.

There's no point in trying to max out until chapter 6, where you can get 99 a fight from them.

RuBisCO posted:

Chapter 6: What does Freelancer's "Limit Break" passive do? It says doubles stat bonuses received but is that like, from equipment?

Think it refers to buffs received.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I was pretty done with the game's dungeons after chapter 4's but they really went all out in chapter 5 to make it as miserable to play as possible, even with enemies running away. I can't imagine playing this under levelled.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

PageMaster posted:

I was pretty done with the game's dungeons after chapter 4's but they really went all out in chapter 5 to make it as miserable to play as possible, even with enemies running away. I can't imagine playing this under levelled.

Dungeons are easily one of the worst things about this game. The nicest thing I can really say is that they are more tolerable overleveled but that's really damning with faint praise.

EDIT: I should say occasionally they make great grinding spots given its easier to group enemies for chains depending on some layouts. So they aren't all bad.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 10, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly I wish there were more dungeons because after unlocking level 15 for all jobs it felt like there was nowhere to actually level them up or use them on.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

everyone stop right now, because I've realized something and I might be a huge dumbass

I turned my Switch back on and was greeted with messages along the top of my screen describing exploration rewards, while not on the exploration screen

you can just turn the mode on at a boat place and then leave and it'll run whenever you do put your Switch on sleep mode, I think

I had definitely thought you had to hit the grandma up every time you were done playing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Wtf. I just got to chapter 2 last night and my Google feed sent me this today. I didn't Google anything about it or say anything out loud.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wtf. I just got to chapter 2 last night and my Google feed sent me this today. I didn't Google anything about it or say anything out loud.

but could your phone have heard the game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

everyone stop right now, because I've realized something and I might be a huge dumbass

I turned my Switch back on and was greeted with messages along the top of my screen describing exploration rewards, while not on the exploration screen

you can just turn the mode on at a boat place and then leave and it'll run whenever you do put your Switch on sleep mode, I think

I had definitely thought you had to hit the grandma up every time you were done playing

Yeah, you just set it going and continue playing and it counts as soon as you go to sleep mode regardless of where you are in the game.

It's only worthwhile to ensure it's ticking over in early game. If you're near town, set it going, if you forget to, don't lose sleep over it basically.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 10, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chapter 6: After 1 hour of grinding stat buns and the Bravebearer & Phantom asterisk weapons from the job trials, I have accidentally made it so I can beat the job trials in a single attack.

Love how you can break this series.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chapter 6: After 1 hour of grinding stat buns and the Bravebearer & Phantom asterisk weapons from the job trials, I have accidentally made it so I can beat the job trials in a single attack.

Love how you can break this series.

I still don't have the (ch6 spoiler) Bravebearer weapon and it's pissing me off. I hate how one of those bosses passively reflects physical damage. :argh:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man these boss fights are great. I’ve never had to grind, when I lose a battle I tweak my party a bit and learn from the battle and clear it with a different setup.

Except gambler which seems to just be “if she gets 3 lucky rolls in a row you lost”

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just arrived at the chapter 3 city and it seems to have the same plot as a certain segment in Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I still don't have the (ch6 spoiler) Bravebearer weapon and it's pissing me off. I hate how one of those bosses passively reflects physical damage. :argh:

It took me 25 kills to get my first, and then I got 5 in a row. It's bizarre.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

im sorry. i got it the first time. i think i skipped you in the RNG queue.(also i have 4x rare talent, that helps a lot!)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ytlaya posted:

So I just arrived at the chapter 3 city and it seems to have the same plot as a certain segment in Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn.

Surely the JRPG Pope is sombody to be trusted! Although it's different from Ishgard since they worship the dragons, and are not trying to genocide them.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Decided to try and figure out some equipment related-numbers - namely, proficiency and weight (specifically, being overloaded).

Rank modifiers are as such:

S - x1.35
A - x1.2
B - x1 (that is to say, what you see is what you get)
C - x0.9
D - x0.8
E - x0.7

What the stats are depends on if it's a weapon or shield. Weapons have their P.Atk, M.Atk, Critical, and possibly their Aim (I'm not entirely sure because I don't know what the "base" aim is) altered by proficiency. Shields have their P.Def, M.Def, Chance to be Targeted, and bizarrely their Evasion altered by proficiency. Evasion's still multiplied by the correct number, which means it's made worse by having a high rank! ...Not that that really matters, mind. Evasion modifiers are absolutely puny so it's only an extra point in either direction, most of the time. I wonder if they were going to have shields give evasion at one point instead of reducing it, and then they scrapped it without altering how the proficiency affects it.

Being overloaded seems to reduce your final stats by (10 + x)%, where x is how much weight you're overloaded by. Being only 1 point over results in your stats being reduced by 11%, being overloaded by 10 points should reduce your stats by 20%.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I want my characters true stats basically I need to set them to freelancer and strip them naked right? I want to see who should get the stat boost items. But actually that won't work either cause now they get huge boosts based on how many classes they've mastered

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Using Phantom to guarantee Beastmaster captures from kills is a very dumb way to make your numbers very large relatively fast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phoix posted:

Using Phantom to guarantee Beastmaster captures from kills is a very dumb way to make your numbers very large relatively fast.

With indiscriminate rage, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Are there really only 8 people to play BnD against in chapter 1?