Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Since we posting pics of our children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Oh! That dude! I spoke to him, did not buy anything, did not attack him. Generally in videogames if something does not attack me, then I do not attack it.

i'm usually the same way but he's just so smug and his coat is so cool. murked him right before starting ng+. really awesome fight too, i wasn't expecting his sweeping kick move that makes it really hard to land melee hits on him. he backed me down the steps to dog valley so i was trying to fend him and the dogs off, and i couldn't remember how many dogs there were so i kept thinking i had gotten them all and then one would lunge at me from behind

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Catposting time? Don't mind if I do

Here is Jasmine:

And here is Frederic:

They are both the sweetest cats I've ever met and I can't believe how lucky I am that they both live with me and are my buddies. Frederic sometimes sleeps on my pillow wrapped around my head, though lately he's been crawling under the blankets so my girlfriend can wrap her arms around him and cuddle him like a little teddy bear. My cats are perfect :3:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 10, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

i think your cat is trying to seduce you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looks like that Games as a Service Marvel's Avengers is going free to play soon. I remember being that games development being a rollercoaster, first looking like poo poo, then newer marketing material actually made it look good and looking like the delays were seriously used to fix the problems. So I was excited for Avengers coming out, but then the beta landed and dashed all of that very quickly so I never did end up buying that game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1369663626068434948?s=20

Huh.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

Looks like that Games as a Service Marvel's Avengers is going free to play soon. I remember being that games development being a rollercoaster, first looking like poo poo, then newer marketing material actually made it look good and looking like the delays were seriously used to fix the problems. So I was excited for Avengers coming out, but then the beta landed and dashed all of that very quickly so I never did end up buying that game.

I don't remember it ever not looking like a lovely Disney Infinity knockoff, but it was pretty funny watching sponsored twitch streamers try really hard to pretend they were having fun with it for a couple of days

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I'll play Avengers for free. Here's my dog after she saw some food.

Dotemu did a good job on SOR4 so I'm excited for this.

By the way, Best Buy has 10% off eShop cards (1 each per customer) if you want to invest in some Switch games on Mario's birthday

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do any of you rip your blurays? Cause the thought occurred to me, but then I saw that the cheapest external br drives are almost $100 on amazon.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 10, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TMNT beatemup from Dotemu? :hmmyes:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I didn't bother downloading Avengers during the beta or free weekend so I don't think I'll be downloading it now that they've made it grindier.

I'm surprised Disney haven't done an official canon MCU game yet on top of the movies and TV shows. Maybe in phase 5.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do I get into beat-em-ups

I used to enjoy messing around with like the old TMNT and Streets of Rage games when I was a kid but I was always awful at them. Streets of Rage 4 looks really good but the last time I played a beat-em-up I felt like I didn't really "get" how they're supposed to work. They feel very stiff to me and I have a hard time avoiding damage so I just kinda get owned.

Is there a One Weird Trick?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMYwrC7oAo

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

I used to enjoy messing around with like the old TMNT and Streets of Rage games when I was a kid but I was always awful at them. Streets of Rage 4 looks really good but the last time I played a beat-em-up I felt like I didn't really "get" how they're supposed to work. They feel very stiff to me and I have a hard time avoiding damage so I just kinda get owned.

The one weird trick is to beat. 'em. up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Turtles in Time was a banger of a game so this could be really good

stev posted:

I'm surprised Disney haven't done an official canon MCU game yet on top of the movies and TV shows. Maybe in phase 5.

But what about the MGU!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

Jump kick everything

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Harrow posted:

The Two Weird Tricks from someone who is also new to the genre but has beaten SOR4 twice are:

1. Move on the y-axis (up and down the screen). Most enemy attacks are two-dimensional so all you have to do is step out of the way. This is easier said than done, you have to train your brain to do it.

2. Play with a friend, SOR4 was good alone but it was way more fun with a partner.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Real hurthling! posted:

Jump kick everything

This makes me think about how dive kicks are the best types of moves in games. Love a dive kick.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

I think you have to play them until you find the one that works for you and play it enough until you understand the "language" they're trying to teach you, like how Bloodborne is what unlocks post-Demon's Souls FromSoft games for people

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Harrow posted:

You should just play SoR4, it's got Feel Good Buttons and a very smooth difficulty curve where things will feel challenging on Normal and with practice you'll be styling on dudes with 200-hit OOTW combos on Mania.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
shoot beat the mans

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Harrow posted:

Play the first level of Bayou Billy and it'll put you off for life

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Harrow posted:

Just keep putting quarters in

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Huge fan of the office worker ninjas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think you have to play them until you find the one that works for you and play it enough until you understand the "language" they're trying to teach you, like how Bloodborne is what unlocks post-Demon's Souls FromSoft games for people

exquisite tea posted:

You should just play SoR4, it's got Feel Good Buttons and a very smooth difficulty curve where things will feel challenging on Normal and with practice you'll be styling on dudes with 200-hit OOTW combos on Mania.

:hmmyes:

SoR4 is on Gamepass now I think, right? I will just jump right in

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ciaphas posted:

i'd forgotten how much of a FOMO generator Warframe is and how much I dislike that

I stopped playing years ago, a few months or so after Fortuna dropped.

A good while after, I was starting to feel an itch to go fire it up again, but around the same time they announced Nightwave and all my interest in WF died and never recovered.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wuggles posted:

1. Move on the y-axis (up and down the screen). Most enemy attacks are two-dimensional so all you have to do is step out of the way. This is easier said than done, you have to train your brain to do it.

Yeah, I think this is what I've always had trouble training my brain to do.

Like I had fun with Dragon's Crown when it first came out but that's largely because it was also half Diablo-like loot game so I could kinda overpower things if necessary. But I always find myself wanting a dodge or block button, when what I should be doing is training myself to use the Y axis to dodge on my own.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Harrow posted:

:hmmyes:

SoR4 is on Gamepass now I think, right? I will just jump right in

it's really the best way. SoR4 is very, very good. the Scott Pilgrim game recently was rereleased too, which is what got me into enjoying these kinds of games, although it seemed a little buggy

we can tell you certain things to look for like how good dash attacks and jump attacks are as openers but I think you just have to play until you get it

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
The cat I just shared a pic of gashed me while jumping out of my arms. I only have myself to blame

Weedle
May 31, 2006

streets of rage 4 has such a banging soundtrack that i find myself playing it like a rhythm game, timing floyd slamming dudes into the floor on beat and stuff. it owns but i want to play a beat-em-up that's actually designed around this, where landing hits in time with the music boosts your combo meter and makes your moves cooler or whatever. kind of like a hybrid of sor and crypt of the necrodancer

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Beat em ups ride or die based on presentation, the gameplay is rarely the draw

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Harrow posted:

I'm certified not good, but I felt like I was getting better by understanding the timings in streets of rage 4 instead of mashing the button on combos.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

What does the thread feel about River City Girls? It came out around the same time as SOR4 and also looked good

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Seriously though, Beat'em Ups are cool, but a lot of the older ones were designed for arcade first and foremost so they're intentionally games of attrition. They want you to take damage and die because that means you have to put in more quarters. Not that it's impossible to beat them on a single quarter, but that generally requires a level of knowledge and determination that most people would find off putting, and frankly also probably a lot of quarters to learn it all. If you want to play Beat'em Ups try to focus on newer ones that are free from the shackles of the arcade machine, though obviously through emulation you can just hsve infinite quarters, I personally don't find that very fun or rewarding.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I'm certified not good, but I felt like I was getting better by understanding the timings in streets of rage 4 instead of mashing the button on combos.

This would make a lot of sense because that's also how you get good at fighting games and beat 'em ups and fighting games have sort of a similar thing going on, a lot of the time.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

wuggles posted:

What does the thread feel about River City Girls? It came out around the same time as SOR4 and also looked good

No online co-op

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

hatty posted:

ah the yakuza dilemma

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I've been meaing to play Treachery in Beatdown City too

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

No online co-op

rip

I wanna play SOR4 with goons. I wonder if the Switch gum and paperclip netcode holds up for that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

hatty posted:

The gameplay in SOR4 is sublime.