Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

RubberBands Hurt posted:

I used this (APK Extractor) to grab things off my old phone that weren't in play store anymore, was pretty straightforward: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ext.ui

Ended up grabbing the apk from APK Mirror. Installed fine and even synced all my completed puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Am I missing something in dicast, or is gold that slow to come by? I'm trying to constantly be unlocking a chest, and im only using the gold mine as a base, but its taking me ages to save up for the lvl4 upgrades, and I just saw the price of the level 5s.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Am I missing something in dicast, or is gold that slow to come by? I'm trying to constantly be unlocking a chest, and im only using the gold mine as a base, but its taking me ages to save up for the lvl4 upgrades, and I just saw the price of the level 5s.

Make sure you're doing your dailies and event missions, those are big gold sources.

There's a cap of 100 gold per game (doubled if you break your opponent's streak), so try to get close to that every game. You likely don't need Gold Mine as your base to get in that neighborhood after the gold buffs.

Once you hit L5 on a base, you can put heroes into it to craft gold and items. The first one you should get is the Gold Mine, and then either Elm, Flame or Tent.

Gold is definitely the biggest bottleneck for the first few months you play, but once you get the gold mine going, you'll be in better shape. Exer and Ivy should be cheaper units to level up if you want to save a little cash on getting a hero to 5.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

NPR Journalizard posted:

My experience is that when you first start out you get a bunch of quests that give a whole lot of money, and once you run out of that things start getting hard. It's why everyone recommends you rush Gold Mine so hard, once you run out of that starter money it's a bunch slower.

I was able to get Gold Mine level 5 without much issue, and then the money really started running out.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone here playing Random Royale? I just started and am enjoying it so far, however wanted to see if anyone has some tips. Is it best to focus on one card and upgrade it, merge the others, or just merge everything? I have been doing the former and focusing on filling the outlined squares, however still get destroyed most of the time.

If you haven't played it, it is kind of like a 1v1 tower defense game with a lot of random elements.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cookapps.randomroyale&hl=en_US&gl=US

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 9, 2021

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine recommended Graveyard Keeper but I see it's :10bux:

Anybody recommend it?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

FistEnergy posted:

Anybody recommend it?

Stardew Valley is waaaaaaay better. Graveyard Keeper's got kind of a funny plot in places, but it's very grindy by comparison and the characters are decidedly less fleshed out.

Note: I don't know how either play on mobile, only going off PC experiences.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FistEnergy posted:

Anybody recommend it?

I don't think I'd recommend it unless you can put up with tedium in the interest of a kind of interesting game with unique, but half-baked, mechanics.

Like, your job as a graveyard keeper is to put bodies in the ground, hopefully high quality bodies since that raises your graveyard rating. Lots of research available to make these bodies more high quality, pull body parts out of them for a few uses. What does this do when the rating is high enough? Nothing, just advances plot stuff. You also get money from doing this, but it's the same each time and it eventually becomes not worth the trouble as your money increases. In fact every mechanic in the game that seems interesting is generally just to be used to advance a questline or something.

There's a dungeon in the game with enemies, and research trees dedicated to producing better weapons/armor. The dungeon can only be traversed once, is fairly short, and is only there to advance a plotline.

The setting is interesting as hell, and I really wish they went into more detail about it. I played the game entirely because ei wanted to know more about this bizarre place or why you've become the keeper in the first place but...no dice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I loved GYK. It is definitely grindy but they added the ability to make zombies out of the corpses which you can then have automate some of the worst tasks like mining and hauling stone back to your base. It's a different game than Stardew Valley, in a way it's less stressful because you do quests for the townspeople but they show up once a week no matter what so you can take weeks in game off to build up your graveyard before continuing the story bits and then just pick up where you left off. It always bugged me about Stardew where if you missed an event or a story beat you were boned until next year. I never played the game before zombies were in but I have to imagine most of the complaints about the grindy nature of the game are from people who either played before this was added or never got to the point where you could use zombies because it's kind of fun trying to make the perfect zombie with great stats.

Honestly if you're not immediately turned off by people saying it's grindy I say it might be worth checking out, I played on PC but wouldn't mind having the game on mobile. Just know that the zombie stuff I'm talking about does take a while to get to so yes there will be grinding.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Well I love Stardew and I've played from scratch to endgame several times, so I'll probably check it out. Thanks for the feedback!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I found the crafting in Graveyard keeper to be way more fun than Stardew. There's a lot of "You need to research this machine, to build this part, to fix this bridge" etc. It has more structure built in, while Stardew is more free form. I also enjoyed not having any kind of time limit. You can advance whatever skill/plot you want at your own pace.

I have no idea how the controls are on Android though. I've only played on PC.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FistEnergy posted:

Well I love Stardew and I've played from scratch to endgame several times, so I'll probably check it out. Thanks for the feedback!

No problem, it's far from a perfect game but they were able to relieve some of the worst parts by adding the zombie workers. I forgot to mention I also liked in GYK that you can stay up for days in a row by eating food to up your stamina which is great coming from Stardew that has the time pressure to get back home before bed time. Eventually you can very easily make wine that basically fills up your stamina bar with one drink so you can keep doing whatever you're doing. Eventually you get a debuff that slowly ticks away at your stamina until you sleep again but you can just counter that by drinking more wine!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stardew Valley is, no joke, perfect on mobile. The only thing wrong with it, outside of not being mod-able, is that it's the last platform to get updates. No idea when 1.5 is happening, but it's happening.

Controller or touchscreen, the controls are legitimately great.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cloud saves.. I switched phones lost me save.. am sad

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah every popular game needs to have cloud saves by now

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I'd steer clear of the Android version of Graveyard Keeper tbh, hasn't been updated in 2 years and based on reviews it doesn't have the zombies update so the grind is in full effect. Plus it sounds like it crashes a lot and has no autosaves mid-day. The game itself is fine but that does not look like a good port.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
:whitewater:

Well I had $7 in Rewards bux laying around so I'll try to get my $3 worth out of it.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I have tainted the village water supply for generations with the amount of dead bodies I just chuck into the river without a second thought

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Gadzuko posted:

I'd steer clear of the Android version of Graveyard Keeper tbh, hasn't been updated in 2 years and based on reviews it doesn't have the zombies update so the grind is in full effect. Plus it sounds like it crashes a lot and has no autosaves mid-day. The game itself is fine but that does not look like a good port.

It has the zombie DLC, but it's not free

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

B100X has gotten an update today. It is a pretty big one too. Balance changes, bug fixes, game speed increased and UI improvements. The season system is about to start with new classes to help change this up.

I also managed to finally beat all dungeon to floor 1000. I used the tried and true reflect build from the previous game. Turns out it works out well here too.

Blessing of the holy God +3 doubles your max hp and shield. This makes my character have a whooping 12,000ish life. That is more than most floor 1,000 bosses. It doesn't end there because overheal lets your current hp go twice as high as your max hp. Hence the 23,330 health in the 2nd screenshot. Just to add to the overkill I have 7 revives.

As for my damage, I deal 191% of the damage back to the enemy when they hit me and about 250 reflect damage. And then I got the holy fire that gives my max hp as reflect damage for 5 turns. So far everything just melts.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Darkoni posted:

After fiddling with a few restarts, I think it has a lot of promise but jeez the amount of times I was screaming at my phone "loving FARM YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS YOU WILL STARVE" or "KEEP MAKING THOSE loving PLANKS YOU HAVE SO MUCH loving WOOD" was a little too much for my liking.

I hope the dev updates it. I really like the concept; i've been wanting to play something like this for a while.

Sounds like they nailed the Dwarf Fortress experience.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Stardew Valley is, no joke, perfect on mobile. The only thing wrong with it, outside of not being mod-able, is that it's the last platform to get updates. No idea when 1.5 is happening, but it's happening.

Controller or touchscreen, the controls are legitimately great.

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Modding:Installing_SMAPI_on_Android

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wow. Definitely going to try this, thanks!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Re:Dicast

So I've been poking around on the discord and it looks like Guild missions eventually become a bit of a trap. Once you max out the mission level, you need to send out heroes that are Rank 5 with 10/10/10 equipment which is...pretty crazy. It's certainly not something we'll have to worry about for a while, but also we'll probably want to stop upgrading mission level well before it hits that point.

In other news I've been playing Caroline and...she's fine I guess? I have some problems with her, mostly that it feels like she requires too much setup to get anywhere. Like, I get it. She's an AP character, comparable to Decester or Scarlet, except her skills are way more powerful: a maxxed out Scarlet drops a 50% AP firewall and does 3 damage over 3 turns when she attacks you. Maxxed out Caroline can do 200% AP damage merely from being across the stage from you, and once she sets that up it can be hard to get away. I just don't like the price you have to pay for that power. Having 60 gold over your opponent can be a struggle sometimes unless you're running Gold Mine, but there's an opportunity cost there. Being across the stage from your opponent is pretty easy to maintain by matching pace with your opponent, but on the flip side, it can be really difficult to get in that position. And even once you've got everything set up, you've got that 20% chance to miss hanging over your head at all times. I've definitely lost a game because one of my volleys missed 3 times out of 4.

I don't know, it just feels like with the amount of effort it takes for her to really let loose with cannons I could just play another character and win. Like, my main right now is Ivy, and her gameplan is remarkably simple and effective. Max her 1st skill, then get as many attacks in as you can. Each attack entangles for 6, so they're effectively losing a turn (maybe 2) unless they've got special cards in hand. Mix it with Glacial Tower and boom, my opponent can't do anything and takes a ton of damage. Easy lockdown, easy damage, easy setup. And Caroline feels like the opposite of that. Once I'm set up and really ready to let loose, I feel like I'm always just 1 turn away from death. Whereas with other characters its a lot easy to just get runaway victories, where your skills help you win from the beginning of the game instead of just right at the end.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
So uh, about this thread title...

I just started Kings Raid. Seems cool, lots of shirtless dudes (yay). Anyone still play? Would love to join any goon presence if it exists.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The new thread title should be something like No, we won't make a new thread for this one game.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

So uh, about this thread title...

I just started Kings Raid. Seems cool, lots of shirtless dudes (yay). Anyone still play? Would love to join any goon presence if it exists.

I'm almost positive there used to be thread for King's Raid but it must have been archived from lack of responses after a while. I played it for probably a year, but have been out for at least 2 years now. No idea of the goon presence anymore. Thread title is old as poo poo

Kept my interest longer than most games of that type tho

e: Nevermind, thread wasn't archived. It's just in the base games forum instead of in mobile:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853535&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

No posts in over a year but there's a discord link so maybe you can find someone there doin something

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 12, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Darkoni posted:

After fiddling with a few restarts, I think it has a lot of promise but jeez the amount of times I was screaming at my phone "loving FARM YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS YOU WILL STARVE" or "KEEP MAKING THOSE loving PLANKS YOU HAVE SO MUCH loving WOOD" was a little too much for my liking.

I hope the dev updates it. I really like the concept; i've been wanting to play something like this for a while.

Yeah I actually bought the upgrade to get the sandbox mode and think it's a decent enough Rimworld clone but this stuff is infuriating. There's a tab called "annual orders" or something like that which may be what I'm looking for but it's missing the "Make until you have X" option that Rimworld has so I'm constantly manually queuing up more planks to be made. I got hit with a wave of enemies and my whole colony got wiped out so I have to start over anyway, I think gearing up quickly to repel attacks is fairly important because it quickly got out of hand.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey thread. My elderly mom has been playing a lot of games on her phone - solitaire, block sliding puzzles, word puzzles, etc. - but she has trouble because of invasive ads and in app purchases. She hasn't accidentally bought anything yet, but it's frustrating for her when an ad pops up in her free game, because she won't realize it's an ad.

So I'm getting her an android tablet (Lenovo Tab M8) so she'll have a bigger screen, and I'm looking for recommendations for games. Like I said, card games, block puzzles, word games, etc. or anything that someone with reduced cognitive abilities might be able to play. Paid with no ads or IAP is preferable, or at least free with a no-ads IAP if not that. (I'll be setting it up with my account and removing the card details anyway.)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey thread. My elderly mom has been playing a lot of games on her phone - solitaire, block sliding puzzles, word puzzles, etc. - but she has trouble because of invasive ads and in app purchases. She hasn't accidentally bought anything yet, but it's frustrating for her when an ad pops up in her free game, because she won't realize it's an ad.

So I'm getting her an android tablet (Lenovo Tab M8) so she'll have a bigger screen, and I'm looking for recommendations for games. Like I said, card games, block puzzles, word games, etc. or anything that someone with reduced cognitive abilities might be able to play. Paid with no ads or IAP is preferable, or at least free with a no-ads IAP if not that. (I'll be setting it up with my account and removing the card details anyway.)

I recommend that once you get it install dns66 https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.jak_linux.dns66/ that should block most ads.

Do no though that this will remove the ability to get 3x coins by watching an ad or whatever the game gives you for ad watching.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thanks - I'll definitely do that first. No worries about the ads for coins thing, she doesn't care a bit about that. In fact I'd prefer games that have no/minimal kind of "energy" or coins or whatever.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shortyz Crosswords and Everett Kaiser's Sherlock are examples of really great, non-ad-riddled puzzle games.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
If you're going to buy her a tablet, why not pay the extra ~$20 to unlock ad-free in all her games?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Shortyz Crosswords and Everett Kaiser's Sherlock are examples of really great, non-ad-riddled puzzle games.

poo poo, I could have sworn I had some free game that was this and the honeycomb puzzles (and maybe a few other types I didn't play as much) but I can't find it now.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

What I tend to do is once an app is installed I go into the app settings and deny it access to the WiFi and mobile internet.

This stops all the adverts and is specially useful for those games that have an advert after every single stage.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Arms_Akimbo posted:

If you're going to buy her a tablet, why not pay the extra ~$20 to unlock ad-free in all her games?

That's exactly what I was planning on doing. The problem is that not every game has that option, and many are full of predatory IAPs, and I wanted to find some that aren't.

Tsietisin posted:

What I tend to do is once an app is installed I go into the app settings and deny it access to the WiFi and mobile internet.

This stops all the adverts and is specially useful for those games that have an advert after every single stage.

Ohh, I'll try that too, thanks.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Tsietisin posted:

Holy poo poo it's so loving obvious in hindsight.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It looks like the answer for my mom was just to subscribe to the Google Play Pass, and download basically every puzzle game there - as well as adding a password requirement for any credit card purchases.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Are there any decent trivia games for android?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

Are there any decent trivia games for android?

I'd kill for a 1 vs 100 type game. There was one of those a couple years ago, wasn't there? Something like Trivia HQ? I can't remember.