Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The DJI FPV quad is finally out. Basically it is in between a Mavic and a normal FPV quad. It makes it possible/easy to get cinematic swoopy FPV style footage without really having much skill, and can be flown in rate mode like a normal quad, though it does not perform great. It has all the sensors and aids of their other products as well. Unlike an FPV quad, a mild crash will break the hell out of it.

Tommy’s review is very good IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6qHxXiLPHM

Bardwell shows how durable it is (not at all):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffpMWX4yyyc

And as usual, Kabab makes a helpful and honest review from the perspective of a skilled pilot, while simultaneously being an arrogant moron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTlrLiUh97s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
I’ve been toying with the idea of buying one of those but I’m gonna pass. It looks fun but I’ve never flown fpv before and I think I’d either wreck it the first day or be too scared to fly it near anything. I’d like to get into fpv one day but I think I’d be better off just going whole hog and learning it properly from the ground up.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

drowningidiot posted:

I’ve been toying with the idea of buying one of those but I’m gonna pass. It looks fun but I’ve never flown fpv before and I think I’d either wreck it the first day or be too scared to fly it near anything. I’d like to get into fpv one day but I think I’d be better off just going whole hog and learning it properly from the ground up.

Definitely. For some perspective, the micro (2.5" props) I started with (3 years ago) lasted about a day and a half before it was broken beyond repair from slamming into walls at full speed. Newer ones are a lot more durable, but you're still going to spend a lot of time crashing it into things.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drowningidiot posted:

I have to say I recommend drone insurance for this reason. I have a Mavic air 2 and there have been a bunch of times I’ve flown it in conditions I normally wouldn’t have because “gently caress it it’s insured” and I’ve gotten some great shots out of that.

Once you get to a certain price of drone, it’s nice to not be scared to fly it

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Problem is it doesn't cover loss, which is most likely what's going to happen in risky situations. Although I did get my money's worth out of the coverage accidentally slamming my first OG Mavic into a bell tower while filming an orbiting shot. This is for the DJI insurance, I actually have my drone insured through my renter's insurance as well, which SHOULD cover loss -- haven't had to use it yet though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have State Farm drone coverage which does cover loss. I got it because I routinely fly over Lake Michigan and if something goes wrong there is no recovering the drone in that scenario

You’re right, the DJI coverage would not help there, since they require the old drone to be returned.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
What constitutes the "drone" in djis mind?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think enough to identify the serial number. I’m pretty sure you could snap all the arms off and the camera and they would accept the body as the drone

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

So my interest in cinewhooping keeps me going into bigger and bigger holes.

I'm onboard with the radio master 16s /simulator plan, but now I have no idea what type of radio master I need.

Like basic 1, basic 2. TBS? I don't know any of that stuff.

Is there like a technical jargon 101 somewhere so I can figure out what I need 😁?

I'm a little bit scared of buying incompatible equipment over time or buying the wrong technology behind the equipment.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have State Farm drone coverage which does cover loss. I got it because I routinely fly over Lake Michigan and if something goes wrong there is no recovering the drone in that scenario

You’re right, the DJI coverage would not help there, since they require the old drone to be returned.

Hard agree. The SF personal articles is way more permissive of you doing dumb poo poo with drones than it should be. I’m a touched concerned folks getting the DJI FPV might ruin things for the rest of us if they start cashing in on claims when they inevitably crash about 10 minutes into flying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It really is great. A few months back there were some crazy 30mph winds over the lake and it was making these huge waves crash into the lighthouse, making for great picture opportunities and slowmo video opportunities

I wanted to film it but I was really worried about the wind. Finally I said “that’s why I pay for insurance” and sent it.

It turned out great, the drone actually handled the wind really well and I got some great shots.

But it was way less nerve wracking knowing that if it went down, I wouldn’t be able to fish it out of 150 feet of freezing cold water and that was ok.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
They made that thing but didn't give the mini 2 goggles support?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

DreadLlama posted:

They made that thing but didn't give the mini 2 goggles support?

That’s what the old HMD is for. :v:

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

I'm onboard with the radio master 16s /simulator plan, but now I have no idea what type of radio master I need.
Like basic 1, basic 2. TBS? I don't know any of that stuff.
Is there like a technical jargon 101 somewhere so I can figure out what I need 😁?
It is a little obtuse when they offer so many options, right?

Mode 1 vs Mode 2 - This just tells you how the sticks are set up. Mode 2 is what almost everyone uses, where the throttle and yaw (rotate left and right) are on the left stick, and roll (tilt left/right) and pitch (tilt forward/back) are on the right stick. Mode 1 swaps pitch to the left stick and throttle to the right stick. The only real difference is that the throttle has no centering spring on the stick and the pitch does. Due to the hardware and software these things have you can swap them if you want, but get Mode 2 so you are good to go out of the box.

Basic vs Hall - This refers to the technology used in the sticks to convert the stick position into analog for the radio hardware to read. Hall is more premium and longer lasting, but I have a "basic" style transmitter that's almost 3 years old and it still works fine. If I replace the sticks at some point, I'll get the Hall version. You'll also see these referred to as "Hall effect gimbals" for Hall and "potentiometer gimbals" for Basic.

TBS - This just means they also included an external module that adds TBS Crossfire system support. Crossfire is a high power long range protocol. I'd avoid this right now since the transmitter still does all the other protocols like FrSky or FlySky. Also, by the time you want long range or high update rate, ExpressLRS external modules will probably be available that do almost everything better than Crossfire.

All of these options will still get you something that works in the simulator, since that's built into the radio software/hardware. I'd recommend Mode 2 with Hall gimbals, which should run you $150 at Pyrodrone or RaceDayQuads, however they're both out of stock currently.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Awesome, thank you.

So far my biggest challenge is I guess understanding the underlying tech.

But I'm eager to learn!

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I just ordered one from a Team black sheep here's hoping I don't get scammed.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

TheReverend posted:

I just ordered one from a Team black sheep here's hoping I don't get scammed.

TBS is one of the more reputable retailers/manufacturers out there. Everything they make is pretty high quality in my experience.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TBS were sort of the original group to make FPV popular to the YouTube masses, they're the guys who released the video of their FPV plane drone buzzing the statue of liberty, brooklyn bridge etc 9+ years ago, and has an outtake of a nyc cop flying and saying how cool it is

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Tx16s arrived.

Dumb me for thinking batteries included.
Ordered a battery from online, and went to a vape shop ?!

To hunt down 18560 3.7v battery. Hoping to charge tonight and try to setup for sim.

Anyone have a guide they recommend ?

Additionally, I know I asked for sim recommendations but I guess I neglected to say that the computing hardware available to me is a 16-in MacBook pro; so if anyone has recommendations for those limitations I would be great because I don't have like a killer gaming PC or anything.

I think FPV Air 2 is gonna be my first attempt.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Some people like to pinch the sticks, others only use their thumbs. You might need to adjust the double-nut stick ends to the correct height for you. The top left and right 2-position and 3-position switches are typically used for arm/disarm, mode control, turtle mode. Arm/disarm is important for safety, as a harmless looking drone can turn into a murder hornet as it tries to reorient itself when someone picks it up. Modes are situational; one often tries to stay stationary horizontally, one prevents the drone from tipping beyond a certain angle, one allows any angle. Turtle mode is supported only by some drones, it reverses some props to attempt to flip the drone upright or dislodge a branch. Pick whichever locations are comfortable for you.

This website is pretty solid.
https://oscarliang.com/learn-flying-fpv-multirotors/

You can keep the settings all linear on the transmitter; it is more standard to set any response curves and such in software on the drone itself.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YUY2J8tJaM
Here's a setup video for the Jumper T16, it should be nearly the same as your Radiomaster.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 8, 2021

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Thanks?

I put my 18650s in, I don't think it's charging.

I'm sad.

I will watch this whole I wait to see if anything happens.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hopefully batteries need to charge before charging indicator works ?!

Idk fear I hosed something up or I have a dud

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Plugged into data port not charge port?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I went to a vape place for my 18650s too. As Xaintrailles said, make sure you’re using the bottom port, not the top.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah it's the bottom port.

The top when plugged into my Mac has the first "plane" light up.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jowyang/status/1369264820906692609

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The most impressive part is the sound design honestly

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
The sound design is good, but also noone flinches with a drone buzzing their head? Almost looks like a gopro on a stick trick to me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah there is a high possibility of it being at least partially faked

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Finally got radiomaster working, but it looks like my throttle doesn't work?

Full down it reads negative 1.
Full up is positive 1 percent.
Channel 3 ?!

But when I push the left stick right, the throttle goes negative 100.

But when. I go left, it goes positive 100.

.Halp

Video:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kdCVkhSksZck5KrB7

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 10, 2021

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Also Velocidrone doesn't detect my throttle movements either 😰

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I haven't messed with my calibration (Jumper T16) since I got it. I would expect a calibration screen to use raw inputs (and yours might be doing precisely this), but it looks as if you might have some channel mixing going on that is on the rudder that mixes in throttle. Another possibility is that some cables on your throttle are not seated correctly. I heard there were issues with the Jumper T16, so I opened mine and reseated all of the ribbon cables to ensure they were firmly connected. It isn't uncommon to crack open your transmitter to change out switches, sticks, etc., and while quality is expected the hobby innately involves some level of dicking about troubleshooting and hacking together solutions.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I checked the mix settings, seems fine.

I guess next step is contact TBS because I'm too noob to open this thing up.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Also if switch it to mode 1, throttle works fine (as. Right stick) but the left stick is still hosed up.

My problem is I can't figure out if I'm a noob idiot or my radio is defective.

Starting to lean the latter but Dunning Kruger and all...

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I believe you need to open it up to adjust gimbal spring tension and friction (very common to tune to personal preference).

Looks to be 6 screws and a caution for external speaker wire (attached to the back half to be removed).
https://youtu.be/CZ-u0Egjx3o

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

deong posted:

The sound design is good, but also noone flinches with a drone buzzing their head? Almost looks like a gopro on a stick trick to me.
You can mount a naked gopro on a 95mm frame and they're utterly non-threatening.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah how is like no one looking at this thing? It seems faked.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Because people knew it was going on and acted natural. It’s smooth and flowy because of stabilization in post. The footage you can get with a GoPro and Reelsteady is mind blowing. And this was probably like take 15 or whatever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah no ones looking because they’re all in on it.

Still seems unlikely it’s 100% as real as it seems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah no ones looking because they’re all in on it.

Still seems unlikely it’s 100% as real as it seems

Yeah that’s what breaks it for me. It’s cool and all but it’s probably like the 20th take lol.