Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

repiv posted:

Forza Horizon 4 launched on Steam today, although the prices are a bit nuts for a 2.5 year old game

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1293830/Forza_Horizon_4/

maybe in a sale

Glad to see the MS holdouts are starting to show up on Steam. FH4 is great although I personally think the setting in 3 was better. Definitely a thing I recommend putting on your wishlist in anticipation of a deep discount at some point. I just wish these things would have crossplay between versions because a) I'm not going to double dip just to own it on steam b) fragmenting the player base is bad and c) I've already put shitloads of time into FH4 and don't really want to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Saoshyant posted:

I always imagine people who have this sort of thing play iRacing on it and little else.

There is a subset of people who only care about competitive multiplayer racing (just like other genres have their equivalent of that), and for that iRacing is just the best choice. But a lot of people get a lot of different things out of sim racing. I've been playing mostly Assetto Corsa vintage car and track mods recently. Taking 60s and 70s cars around tracks that don't even exist any more in a reasonably realistic manner is zen.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Saoshyant posted:

I always imagine people who have this sort of thing play iRacing on it and little else.

Euro Truck Simulator 2

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You literally can't buy Forza Horizon 3 anymore which is insane to me. However if you go to a key reseller theres still some copies available: https://www.cdkeys.com/forza-horizon-3-xbox-one-digital-code

I think its totally worth it for $22. The downside is though, you will never ever get to play the DLCs because there's no way to acquire them. I'm pretty sure you can't even pirate them, or at least I wasn't able to find a way.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sininu posted:

Yeah, I sadly regret getting mine as it made me kind of stop playing racing games for a while. If I had a proper cockpit it would be other story, but mounting it onto desk every time I wanted to drive was too much.
I'll sell it off and if I ever have a home with more room I'll get a proper cockpit setup with.

This happened to me years ago when I bought a friend's HOTAS to play Elite Dangerous. It was awesome to play with but setting it up was a bitch so I basically just stopped playing the game altogether :smith:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm getting back into Amazing Cultivation Simulator while I wait for Valheim to exit EA and lol I forgot that specific thrill of Dwarf Fortress-style games where you can totally outwit yourself and your top-tier characters will happy die because of it. My sect leader had an affinity for water energy which is boosted by metal items, so I made her room out of iron walls to help her advance. She got heatstroke and died from sleeping in a furnace. I'm early enough I'll probably just restart.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
lol, I love it when that kind of thing happens. ACS is still great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wrote up a short review for the Sealed Ampoule as I really, really like it:

Surprisingly excellent! It seems simple at first - it's a roguelike/lite where you explore a dungeon and beat up enemies on tiles and get materials, but then you discover - the entire game is built around upgrading the dungeon and making it smaller! Floors 1-5 went from dangerous corridors to smaller and smaller areas with more items and healing spots on them to entirely bypassable "farm" plots. Instead of unlocking shortcuts deeper into the dungeon, you essentially collapse it into farmland and reap benefits for doing so.

The monsters begin to dole out status effects that scale with you - so poison goes from "eh" to "oh god I need an antidote NOW" - and then you reach bosses and get more and more fragments of the plot. It's all weird and wonderful and I am SO happy I bought this game.

I basically bought it because the previous games by this developer were strange and interesting - not necessarily good, as I haven't meshed with them - but they were compelling, and I wanted to support that. But to my delight this one is so much fun to play! I keep going for extra dungeon dives just because I can.

Finally, the relaxed pace of it has been very helpful in the last week, as I've been sick (not with COVID!) and needed something chill to unwind to. This was it, and I'm so glad I picked it up. Thank you, Cavy House. Thank you!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

New stronghold not getting very good reviews, although the complaints seem to be that it's too similar to a game I never played so maybe that's not such a big deal

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

all the talk about Forza made me reinstall it off the MS Store and drat that game is good, the stupid Lego land is so cool looking

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Also it's fascinating tracing the "fall" of Carpe Fulger/Andrew Dice/Spacedrake - the goons who translated two of CavyHouse's games - Forget Me Not, This Starry Midnight We Make - but to do the third they tried a kickstarter, it failed, and CavyHouse swapped to another publisher, and now their biggest (and best) game yet, Sealed Ampoule, has been translated by PLAYISM.

It really makes me wonder what would have happened if Carpe Fulger hadn't gotten the contract to work on Trails in the Sky Second Chapter - but hey, it's probably for the best as I think I heard that Carpe Fulger's translation work could be really dodgy at times. I don't have a source for this, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Would be interesting to know what people considered dodgy about their translations. They did Recettear, which I remember everyone being happy about.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as I know their most recent work was part of the Gundam Vs. game that was localized for PS4 in the west last year, which may be one reason you haven't seen much of them for a while.
https://twitter.com/SpaceDrakeCF/status/1288692275573227520

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Carpe Fulgur worked on Gundam EXVS. So they haven't been exactly invisible.

But I do agree that they had the opportunity to be "the modern Working Designs" for PC gaming but it unfortunately didn't pan out.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Wait, Sealed Ampoule is by CavyHouse? I would have got that instead of getting the Disgaea Dood bundle for Disgaea 4 and the two art books I don't already have. :qq:

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

New stronghold not getting very good reviews, although the complaints seem to be that it's too similar to a game I never played so maybe that's not such a big deal

Seems like it's another Stronghold with minor improvements, a hefty slate of bugs and the same old design the series has always had. That's kind of how the series goes for the most part and part of why I say I like Stronghold but rarely recommend it outright.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1357866781331791873

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pierson posted:

I'm getting back into Amazing Cultivation Simulator while I wait for Valheim to exit EA and lol I forgot that specific thrill of Dwarf Fortress-style games where you can totally outwit yourself and your top-tier characters will happy die because of it. My sect leader had an affinity for water energy which is boosted by metal items, so I made her room out of iron walls to help her advance. She got heatstroke and died from sleeping in a furnace. I'm early enough I'll probably just restart.

ACS is seriously incredible and it hooked me good. I love all the myriad magic, supernatural and adventuring mechanics bolted to Dwarf Fortress base. I might like it more than Rimworld (especially if the mod scene ever gets going) and I have 1000+ hours in that game.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's...eh...okay? It doesn't really do anything new and the campaign is a bit basic and, dare I say, a bit racist? The UX and menus are very basic looking and it basically feels a bit flat.

I guess the Stronghold series was always a bit odd, sitting in a peculiar area of city building and rts.

I don't regret buying it, but the experience does feel a bit flimsy so far.

quote:

Glad to see the MS holdouts are starting to show up on Steam. FH4 is great although I personally think the setting in 3 was better. Definitely a thing I recommend putting on your wishlist in anticipation of a deep discount at some point. I just wish these things would have crossplay between versions because a) I'm not going to double dip just to own it on steam b) fragmenting the player base is bad and c) I've already put shitloads of time into FH4 and don't really want to start over.

I also thought the setting of FH3 was better, although FH4 does add on some nice ideas like the Lego stuff. I do wish FH3 was more easily accessible though, it's weird that they've completely removed it from existence.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

It's...eh...okay? It doesn't really do anything new and the campaign is a bit basic and, dare I say, a bit racist? The UX and menus are very basic looking and it basically feels a bit flat.

I guess the Stronghold series was always a bit odd, sitting in a peculiar area of city building and rts.

I don't regret buying it, but the experience does feel a bit flimsy so far.

Warlord's VA in particular is very uh, hm. A bunch of British nerds who don't know poo poo about Asian culture beyond pop stuff made it? With a tin can and string for recording and a copy of Peter Ustinov's performance in One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing as an acting guide? And yes if that reference plays for you it kind of is that bad.

It's a real bad look the more I play it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You literally can't buy Forza Horizon 3 anymore which is insane to me. However if you go to a key reseller theres still some copies available: https://www.cdkeys.com/forza-horizon-3-xbox-one-digital-code

I think its totally worth it for $22. The downside is though, you will never ever get to play the DLCs because there's no way to acquire them. I'm pretty sure you can't even pirate them, or at least I wasn't able to find a way.

IIRC this has to do with car manufacturer rights

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also it's fascinating tracing the "fall" of Carpe Fulger/Andrew Dice/Spacedrake - the goons who translated two of CavyHouse's games - Forget Me Not, This Starry Midnight We Make - but to do the third they tried a kickstarter, it failed, and CavyHouse swapped to another publisher, and now their biggest (and best) game yet, Sealed Ampoule, has been translated by PLAYISM.

It really makes me wonder what would have happened if Carpe Fulger hadn't gotten the contract to work on Trails in the Sky Second Chapter - but hey, it's probably for the best as I think I heard that Carpe Fulger's translation work could be really dodgy at times. I don't have a source for this, though.

Uh, wasn't that because one of them basically had a mental breakdown, didn't do any work on it for over a year, and tried to commit suicide?

I remember them as the indie darlings of the early 2010s after Recettear took off like a rocket and they were angling to become a major translator of popular anime jrpg games, then after that happened multiple other competitors in that field had stepped up to take over that role.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Would be interesting to know what people considered dodgy about their translations. They did Recettear, which I remember everyone being happy about.

I remember whining over "censorship" in Fortune Summoners of a single splash art of the three main characters in a hot spring where the Western release added towels (there wasn't anything shown even without them) but that was requested by the creator and the altered art was done by the original artist.

Edit: sorry it was Jessica Chavez and it was about formatting and editing. When CF sent their work to XSEED after three years of working on it, it was fully translated but only 50% edited. She spent six months crunching to finish it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 10, 2021

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMYwrC7oAo

We're getting some Ninja Turtles. Steam page

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is that the old arcade game? It looks like it, but I haven't seen it in thirty years.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

ultrafilter posted:

Is that the old arcade game? It looks like it, but I haven't seen it in thirty years.

It’s heavily inspired by Turtles in Time, but it’s a new game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's a new game based on the 1987 cartoon that looks to be taking notes from the old Konami arcade games as well. Developer is Tribute Games, who worked on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game and the TMNT Game Boy Advance game, published under Dotemu (who also published (and helped develop) Streets of Rage 4, but the lead developer team on that was Guard Crush Games using a modifed version of their Streets of Fury EX engine).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I seriously hope that the sfx are just placeholders since holy cow that's amateurish.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s heavily inspired by Turtles in Time, but it’s a new game.

Turtles in Time was the second arcade game. This looks a lot closer to the first one.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- is coming out of early access at the end of the month, and the price will probably be going up. They're running a 20% off sale for the next couple days, so if you're thinking about picking it up now is a good time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ultrafilter posted:

Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- is coming out of early access at the end of the month, and the price will probably be going up. They're running a 20% off sale for the next couple days, so if you're thinking about picking it up now is a good time.

Just leaving a note that this game is goooood. If you're into this sort of metroidvania, you'll be in for a good time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

Just leaving a note that this game is goooood. If you're into this sort of metroidvania, you'll be in for a good time.

Is it as short as the reviews say it is?

Also holy crap that title is awful. Game looks neat but that’s just a pile of meaningless nonsense if you’re not familiar with the series.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it as short as the reviews say it is?

Well, the reviews are on what was available when they were written. More areas/bosses/puzzles/etc have been added as the game development progressed and it's not finished yet, so on that point, no, it is not as short as reviews claim. The full thing should be about the size of C:SOTN I imagine.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Saoshyant posted:

Where's my Pirotess DLC?

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

ultrafilter posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Looking into the new post, it looks like they are actually offering a combo deal for both Record of Lodoss War and Touhou Luna Nights: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20245/Team_Ladybug_Bundle/ $20 in total, might just go for that while I'm at it! (unless people have some bad things to say about them which I'm not aware of)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Touhou Luna Nights was very good IMO.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wrote up a short review for the Sealed Ampoule as I really, really like it:

Thanks for the review on this one, I've been considering grabbing it. Probably pick it up tonight.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ultrafilter posted:

Oh hell yeah, this game is incredible. The story makes absolutely no sense if you've never seen the '90s OVA, but it's a metroidvania so that doesn't really matter :v:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Think its worth waiting for a Switch version or is that probably never going to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Of all the fuckin' games to come out, I was not expecting one based around a supporting cast member of a cheezy old anime that was only about western (/D&D) exoticism. I'd totally buy anything based off of Knights of the Zodiac, shh

Regardless, why would you do early access of a Metroidvania? You only ever get one good, magical, playthrough of any given one, it's such a waste.