Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

:catstare:

bugsbunny_denmark.gif

The hell is in the water in Denmark?

P.S. I am now a Swedish citizen. :sweden: :toot: expect a proud dickbutt vote for riksdagen next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

And more than 8,000 out of roughly 9,100 residents in Vollsmose willingly got tested in the past week. So much for "manglende samfundssind".

It's a shame that the only ones making noise about Francoriksen are the plandemic morons.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

:catstare:

bugsbunny_denmark.gif

Germany has already done that, no effect.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BonHair posted:

It's not the skin colour, it's (((Islam))).

Also decades of propaganda to exactly that effect. This basically:

Good avatar/image combo.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For any Swedes out there, it's worth following the very public implosion of Bulletin, the ambitious conservative newspaper project that Tino Sanandaji launched last year.

TLDR, after recruiting a number of high profile right-wing columnists, editors, and writers, the owners have subsequently got into flaming rows with the very same writers, editors etc. about how the paper should be run, and once this became public knowledge, the fight has escalated, publicly, on Facebook.

Background:
https://www.journalisten.se/nyheter/oppen-strid-mellan-bulletins-redaktionsledning-och-agare (edit: ah gently caress they've paywalled it)

Real-time:
https://twitter.com/mrhenko123/status/1369355714980950019

https://www.facebook.com/tino.sanandaji/posts/10158197114408231

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 9, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Beeswax posted:

For any Swedes out there, it's worth following the very public implosion of Bulletin, the ambitious conservative newspaper project that Tino Sanandaji launched last year.

Yeah I've been laughing at it all day (see my post above). The amazing thing is that it kind of drew a lot of the more high profile right-right wing columnists away from more mainstream newspaper like SvD and GP, and now it seems like they all might end up unemployed for the effort. And those same columnists might not even have secured any written contracts, and are now being refused to get any.

E: for extra context, this newspaper has existed for labout two and a half month before going down in flames.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 9, 2021

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

Yeah I've been laughing at it all day (see my post above). The amazing thing is that it kind of drew a lot of the more high profile right-right wing columnists away from more mainstream newspaper like SvD and GP, and now it seems like they all might end up unemployed for the effort. And those same columnists might not even have secured any written contracts, and are now being refused to get any.

Oh crap, didn't see your past on the previous page. Sorry about that!

And yeah, I mean I'm sure people like Ivar Arpi will find new lucrative jobs out there pretty quickly, but it certainly is something to leave one of the nation's biggest papers for what turns out to be a garbage fire.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Beeswax posted:

Oh crap, didn't see your past on the previous page. Sorry about that!

And yeah, I mean I'm sure people like Ivar Arpi will find new lucrative jobs out there pretty quickly, but it certainly is something to leave one of the nation's biggest papers for what turns out to be a garbage fire.

What kind of world is this when you can't gather the country's biggest loudmouth libertarian and autoritarian right wing twitter grifters under the same roof and still run a well-oiled, disciplined propaganda factory where people do exactly as they are told?

But yeah not all of their careers will be lost on this, but it'll probably be a bump on the road for most of them and there'll be rivers of bad blood when this is over.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Those who can’t work from home in isolation seem to get covid more often, curious, I say, as I carve a swastika in my forehead.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
This might have been answered earlier in the thread, but are there any good pods or blogs out there that cover Nordic/Swedish politics from a left wing perspective?

A standpoint from an environmental point of view would be great too so I have more fodder to throw back when relatives and coworkers start barking about Elsa Widding and 'climate panic', as that comes up often.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

have you got a language preference?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'd love me some swedish blogs / podcasts covering from a left perspective so I can follow what's happening in Sweden.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

lilljonas posted:

What kind of world is this when you can't gather the country's biggest loudmouth libertarian and autoritarian right wing twitter grifters under the same roof and still run a well-oiled, disciplined propaganda factory where people do exactly as they are told?

But yeah not all of their careers will be lost on this, but it'll probably be a bump on the road for most of them and there'll be rivers of bad blood when this is over.

Yeah this is like Dave Rubin trying to run a newspaper with Michael Knowles and Count Dankula and no billionaire money to keep it all afloat.

I'm surprised, I expected the bulletin to get slammed around in courts and pressombudsmannen for defamation or something like that by election time but to implode this quickly is just hillarious.
'
Also:

https://twitter.com/pergrankvist/status/1369623032956936198

luminalflux posted:

I'd love me some swedish blogs / podcasts covering from a left perspective so I can follow what's happening in Sweden.

Unfortunately most of the good ones are in Swedish, but I'm probably not the one to ask since I don't follow the swedish podcast scene all that well.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 10, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Unfortunately most of the good ones are in Swedish, but I'm probably not the one to ask since I don't follow the swedish podcast scene all that well.

I'm 100% fluent in swedish but I haven't followed swedish news or politics since I moved in 2015, seems every news site decided to paywall everything to hell and back and i haven't asked my old friends at Schibsted to hook me up with free subs.

Only podcast i've been listening to has been P3 Dokumentär for when my non-swedish speaking wife wants study in the car and needs something in a foreign language so she can't understand it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

luminalflux posted:

Radio åt alla publishes a lot of podcasts and is a part of of Allt åt alla, so if you want something on the left wing of the left wing you can check there. I mainly listen to Eld & Rörelse, a podcast analysing military history and recent conflicts from a left wing perspective, both because I'm a MÖP in general and because I know one of the hosts. It's pretty good. Sometimes they rant a bit, but they keep track of news in current conflicts better than mainstream media, so I check them out for things like the war between Armenia and Azerbaijan which nobody covers. The other shows are more for normal, non-MÖP people so I haven't really checked them out.

https://poddtoppen.se/podcast/1234316622/radio-at-alla/eld-och-rorelse-1-wagner-group

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 10, 2021

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if you're willing to subscribe to an actual daily newspaper, klassekampen uploads their whole paper to the net and has a general, very broadly left perspective on its editorialising

there's also a million leftie norwegian podcasts but none of them are very good imo - that is, they're not entertaining, which i absolutely demand in from my podcasts. there's Tusvik& Tønne i guess, but that is a very soft left indeed

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I got annoyed at first when they started paywalling every news site in Sweden but then I ended up going svt for my daily news, sometimes you miss out on some stuff but for the most part it's great.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

luminalflux posted:

What about "Off Limits med Jonas & Hans"? :v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

if you're willing to subscribe to an actual daily newspaper, klassekampen uploads their whole paper to the net and has a general, very broadly left perspective on its editorialising

Klassekampen is also getting increasingly terfy.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the chief editor has some pretty questionable instincts but i disagree that the paper in general is 'increasingly' terfy, even for a dramatically expanded definition of the term - actual radical feminism of the kind you see in britain which ended with the actual TERF tendency, i.e. the bindels and greers of the world has never been very prominent in norway. rather, marxian-ish groups like Kvinnefronten have been the ones to set the stage for women's issues in this country, and to my knowledge they've accepted trans women since the nineties at least

the paper's position seems to be one of trying to be a sort of neutral ground, and their reporting reflects this. it's less affirmatively trans-inclusive than i would prefer, but e.g. the debate over the gender reassignment law and the more traditional women's orgs in the country's position was actually interesting and informative. they're wed to a notion of a public discourse which is increasingly old-fashioned and which generates a lot of dissatisfaction, but one of their regular columnists had a column called 'kjønnsmangfoldet' under their segment 'feminist, javisst' on the 8th of march, so it's hard to accept that it's an ideologically trans-exclusionary paper

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

re kvinnefronten i should say 'have had trans women as members' since the nineties. i can't speak for the cultural acceptance, but i have met a trans woman who'd been a member of the organisation since that period. i suppose it may strictly speaking have been a don't ask, don't tell sort of situation, but i did not get that impression

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Any Swedes out there listening to Rock Klassiker? What the gently caress is wrong with Jonas Nilsson?

He sounds like a sugar free version of American alt right social media

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

re kvinnefronten i should say 'have had trans women as members' since the nineties. i can't speak for the cultural acceptance, but i have met a trans woman who'd been a member of the organisation since that period. i suppose it may strictly speaking have been a don't ask, don't tell sort of situation, but i did not get that impression
I have no idea how relevant Ottar is anymore, bit they have fine full blown terf.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah you have some serious weirdos going about, most notably gjevjon and jaquesson. jaquesson seems to me to have just gone off the deep end, but gjevjon is more coherent and seems to be doing this weird 'LGB alliance' transphobic stuff with links to dodgy US evangelical groups. i haven't been fully up-to-date on this landscape for many years now, so i can't speak for how relevant ottar is these days either, but them not getting rid of jaquesson is definitely a bad sign.

there's also a bunch of transphobes sort of hanging around the margins of the women's movement, but as far as i've been able to glean from all the sound and fury from the 8th of march slogan meetings there was no serious consideration of any really transphobic slogans (i.e. they were not selected by the forwarding committees and nobody bothered fighting for them), which does seem to indicate that they really are on the margins, because those meetings are always massively fraught and they fight over all sorts of stuff - apparently there was a bit of discussion about a 'yay polish women, nay abortion restrictions' slogan on the basis of trans inclusiveness, but i do not consider that serious transphobia.

that said, my caveat of being a bit more removed from this these days applies here as well, and it *is* genuinely difficult to get a clear view unless one is very close to the action and it's entirely possible that fosen 8th of march committee or something has adopted something genuinely terrible.

Klassekampen is a bit weird on this because they will absolutely print e.g. gjevjon's comments, and one of their religion columnists had a meltdown about the mystical nature of trans-ideology which was followed up by a truly bizarre and downright vicious letter to the editor when called out on it. my impression is that they give their columnists a lot of freedom, and that they try to keep their letters to the editor page very broad, and that they prefer to err on the side of printing something. their reporting seems decidedly agnostic, but they're never dismissive about the issue and they do stuff like interviews with trans activists much more frequently than any other daily that i read

basically KLK's ideology is not trans-exclusionary, but they're sharply opposed to ideas of deplatforming and such, which i imagine is partly a reaction to their past as a party organ for AKP-ml and their reconstitution as a sort of eurocommunist/social-democratic hybrid

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My counterpoint is that you can't be neutral on this issue, in the same way that you can't be neutral on racism and homophobia. No serious newspaper is going to print a fullblown defense of eugenics so I don't see why it should be fine to print terf poo poo.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Kamrat posted:

I got annoyed at first when they started paywalling every news site in Sweden but then I ended up going svt for my daily news, sometimes you miss out on some stuff but for the most part it's great.

I second this. SVT has a good newsroom, to the chagrin of the alt-right who wants to burn them down.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

I second this. SVT has a good newsroom, to the chagrin of the alt-right who wants to burn them down.

They’re not terrible but I’d love for them to go more in depth sometimes. I love the DN long reads or multipart series...if I’m able to finish them.

Is the paywall model profitable for news orgs? Like even in the US it isn’t that gratuitous.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Cardiac posted:

Finally, I got approached about a job today and I can now confirm that marijuana snus will be a thing if legalisation ever happens.

Hey, congratulations! Sounds like a cool project.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Alhazred posted:

My counterpoint is that you can't be neutral on this issue, in the same way that you can't be neutral on racism and homophobia. No serious newspaper is going to print a fullblown defense of eugenics so I don't see why it should be fine to print terf poo poo.

yeah i tend to agree with this to be clear, but imo there's a fair amount of daylight between this and 'being (...) terfy' as a publication

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

teen witch posted:

Is the paywall model profitable for news orgs? Like even in the US it isn’t that gratuitous.

It must be, otherwise they wouldn't do it right?

I can imagine that it's more profitable in the short term rather than the long term since i don't think they gain many new readers by doing this.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

teen witch posted:

Yes. It's something like 45% of the subscription revenue of Schibsted's news media (VG, SvD, Aftonbladet, Stavanger Aftenblad, Aftenposten) and 15% of new media's overall revenue looking at their Q3 2020 results (slides 17 and 18). It's worth basically a Blocket in revenue and that's something Schibsted would never give up since it's a money printer that goes brrrrrrrrr

(I used to work for blocket so this is familiar territory)

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

luminalflux posted:

(I used to work for blocket so this is familiar territory)

I once tried to sell a wall sander on blocket that came with a vacuum cleaner (you couldn't use it without the vacuum cleaner attachment) Blocket took my money and then refused to put up the ad. Telling me I had to sell the two separately.

What's up with that?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Katt posted:

I once tried to sell a wall sander on blocket that came with a vacuum cleaner (you couldn't use it without the vacuum cleaner attachment) Blocket took my money and then refused to put up the ad. Telling me I had to sell the two separately.

What's up with that?

i left in 2014 but then ad review was always handled by a separate company

i just wrote code

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I refuse to believe that any coding has been done on blocket since 1997 :v:

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Katt posted:

Any Swedes out there listening to Rock Klassiker? What the gently caress is wrong with Jonas Nilsson?

He sounds like a sugar free version of American alt right social media

Isnt that only music? Its the only radio station my gf plays in the car. Same songs over and over and over

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

von Braun posted:

Isnt that only music? Its the only radio station my gf plays in the car. Same songs over and over and over

The most glorious time was when Europe had been out touring and they basically locked Ian Haugland in the studio to make up for lost work. Dubbeltisdan was a looooot of hair metal.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

luminalflux posted:

i left in 2014 but then ad review was always handled by a separate company

If I don't remember it wrong, it is (was?) done by a company in Malta whose hiring base consists of a bunch of 19—yearolds moving down there straight from the studentflak to party in the sun and maybe work a little. I'm guessing they had very little experience of, well, basically everything.

For access to news media, a hot tip is to join your local library. It costs nothing and you get access to a bunch of different papers in digital format. You could also get lucky and have an unknown, less digitally savvy person with a paper subscription sign up to the online one using your email address. That's how I gained access to DN for about a year before they discovered their error.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Seagull Fiasco posted:

You could also get lucky and have an unknown, less digitally savvy person with a paper subscription sign up to the online one using your email address. That's how I gained access to DN for about a year before they discovered their error.
Can’t believe you’re openly admitting to being a tricktyv/committing identity theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Alhazred posted:

No serious newspaper is going to print a fullblown defense of eugenics

I see you're not familiar with Danish media.