Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

Also goddamn, I always knew about the epilogue from second hand but it's truly, truly sad that the best ending that Rowling could imagine for these characters and their world is the status quo being restored, and Harry's gang growing up into boring middle class, middle aged middle Englanders. And all that makes a whole lot of sense when you take into account her political leanings, with British Centrism and TERFism both being the domain of that particular (white) demographic, who've achieved a boring level of comfort and have resolved to pull the ladder up so they may keep it jealously.

i'm not a marxist or whatever so i don't think it's a cardinal sin for media to support the status quo, but in Harry Potter's case holy poo poo is it baffling when a huge, consistent theme in the last 2 or 3 books is how hosed up, backwards, prone to corruption and just plain evil the entire "Wizarding World" is, and the solution is just to completely forget about all that once the final boss is defeated. like, she wrote a world where comically out-of-touch slaveholding magical authorities secretly control the world from the shadows and use demonic soul-sucking enforcers that feed on sorrow without actually meaning to ask "are we the baddies?" that whole thematic through-line was accidental, loving wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How to beat Skyrim without Walking

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's just your typical defense of the status quo to find an exterior scapegoat "bad apple" to excise and everything is fine. In stuff like Coco or Harry Potter it stands out because the status quo is so horrendous to begin with that you stop and say "wait what the gently caress THIS is what we're defending?"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

RareAcumen posted:

Despite defending the Shrieking Shack constantly, for the last few pages, a few things do bother me that I've gotta get out of my system.

God I cannot stand when they boil the story down to the mechanics, it just frustrates me to no end. 'Oh boy, it's time to search for object! Oh man, I love object' it just drives me up a loving wall. That and they were talking about how things an actions used to mean things but then just became their mechanical uses and nothing else like the Polyjuice Potion or the Patronus.

But then we get to Deathly Hallows and everyone's got the former whenever they want 4 times in 15 chapters already and then everyone's sending patronuses around like they're text messages and it really just shows how fast the entire magic system falls apart when you have to think about it seriously and it wasn't very well set up beforehand anyway. I've hit the camping section of the book and they're struggling to catch food and cook it and I'm like, 'Can't you guys just collect a pile of leaves and grass and turn those into spices and make the food cook and season itself automatically?'

I gave them a try, since I love overly long dissections of pop culture, but I got the feeling that while they have some interesting thoughts and ideas, they kind of lack the necessary vocabulary and theoretical framework to express them well.

Also, they have a weird focus sometimes, like, I don’t really care which tv show it was which was canceled and made Dudley kick in his tv.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

i'm not a marxist or whatever so i don't think it's a cardinal sin for media to support the status quo, but in Harry Potter's case holy poo poo is it baffling when a huge, consistent theme in the last 2 or 3 books is how hosed up, backwards, prone to corruption and just plain evil the entire "Wizarding World" is, and the solution is just to completely forget about all that once the final boss is defeated. like, she wrote a world where comically out-of-touch slaveholding magical authorities secretly control the world from the shadows and use demonic soul-sucking enforcers that feed on sorrow without actually meaning to ask "are we the baddies?" that whole thematic through-line was accidental, loving wild

Yeah this was basically my take on it as well. I mean, the story was very much focused Harry’s personal journey so it’s fine if they don’t end up changing the world, but there at least needs to be acknowledgement of the problems that were still around. The books made a big deal about how corrupt the ministry was, and all but outright stated that the wizards’ self-imposed segregation breeds anti-muggle sentiment like crazy which in turn breeds dark wizards, but then at the last minute it sweeps both those things under the rug in an attempt at a fairytale ending.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if u want a YA series that actually deals with wizards being assholes read bartimaeus

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
you could also go with animorphs if you want that but w/ space wizards

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The Wizarding World comes across as super fascist, even without Voldemort, even though a lot of it is just bad worldbuilding. Like, how exactly does the government function anyway. They have a Minister of Magic, who is presented as analogous to any other cabinet member, just in charge of magic Affairs. But as we find out, that isn’t actually the case, they magic ministry operated completely independent so how exactly the minister is chosen and if there actually is some kind of legislative body is never really explained.

Which kind of raises the question how governance and lawmaking actually works and what we actually see of it (i.e ruling by decree) isn’t exactly a positive historical example.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't there a thing in the first Fantastic Beasts movie where a character was going to be executed without like a loving trial?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

e X posted:

I gave them a try, since I love overly long dissections of pop culture, but I got the feeling that while they have some interesting thoughts and ideas, they kind of lack the necessary vocabulary and theoretical framework to express them well.

Also, they have a weird focus sometimes, like, I don’t really care which tv show it was which was canceled and made Dudley kick in his tv.

I jumped in at part 112 because I could only go so far on the list for free on my smart watch podcast thing so I don't know if that's a thing in earlier episodes but it sucks, it sucks so much I don't know why it bothers me so much!

Also I hate hearing 'please read another book' as a sign off. Offer a suggestion! Not giving clear instructions is kind putting a lot of faith into people who have glowing ideas of how the Harry Potter series was al about love and friendship and standing up for what's right and blah blah blah.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 10, 2021

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'll always love how they explain that a gun is "a sort of metal wand that Muggles use to kill each other." One, because it's loving hilarious. Two, it makes zero sense that wizards wouldn't know what a gun is. I get that they're out of touch with the Muggle world but it makes no sense that they don't even know what basic technology is.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'll always love how they explain that a gun is "a sort of metal wand that Muggles use to kill each other." One, because it's loving hilarious. Two, it makes zero sense that wizards wouldn't know what a gun is. I get that they're out of touch with the Muggle world but it makes no sense that they don't even know what basic technology is.

Their understanding of the muggle world is very inconsistent throughout the books. On the one hand they have magical versions of things like cameras and busses, which were invented long after firearms, but on the other hand they sometimes act like they’ve stepped right out of the middle ages. There’s even one bizarre scene where a male character puts on a dress to disguise himself as a muggle, not because he’s trying to look like a woman (thank god Rowling at least left that trope out of HP) but because he’s just that clueless about muggle clothing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

RareAcumen posted:

I jumped in at part 112 because I could only go so far on the list for free on my smart watch podcast thing so I don't know if that's a thing in earlier episodes but it sucks, it sucks so much I don't know why it bothers me so much!

Also I hate hearing 'please read another book' as a sign off. Offer a suggestion! Not giving clear instructions is kind putting a lot of faith into people who have glowing ideas of how the Harry Potter series was al about love and friendship and standing up for what's right and blah blah blah.

It’s not really intended as a serious suggestion for the listener, I don’t think, because it’s probably fair to assume that if you are listening to a podcast like the Shrieking Shack then you have already expanded your literary intake beyond Harry Potter. “Read another book” is less of a call to action (although it can be that) and more of a summary of their frustrations with people for whom Harry Potter is their main and seemingly only cultural touchstone. These are the people who write and are the target audience for the incalculable number of online articles about what every new TV show character’s Hogwarts house is and about which politicians are Harry and which are Voldemort, and you can only read so many of those before you have nothing left to say but: READ ANOTHER BOOK! At least, that’s the impression I got.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

muscles like this! posted:

Wasn't there a thing in the first Fantastic Beasts movie where a character was going to be executed without like a loving trial?

It's okay though because the American Wizarding world is egalitarian so long as you don't break the law.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ariong posted:

It’s not really intended as a serious suggestion for the listener, I don’t think, because it’s probably fair to assume that if you are listening to a podcast like the Shrieking Shack then you have already expanded your literary intake beyond Harry Potter. “Read another book” is less of a call to action (although it can be that) and more of a summary of their frustrations with people for whom Harry Potter is their main and seemingly only cultural touchstone. These are the people who write and are the target audience for the incalculable number of online articles about what every new TV show character’s Hogwarts house is and about which politicians are Harry and which are Voldemort, and you can only read so many of those before you have nothing left to say but: READ ANOTHER BOOK! At least, that’s the impression I got.

I just feel like suggesting a good book as well would be an improvement. I don't trust any superfans to pick out anything good.

Hell I'd accept joke answers like The Magic School Bus even.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

That's a pretty killer mix for a one hour video

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Voldemort is the strongest dark wizard who ever existed. He never wields particular strong magic and fails to take over Britain. Twice.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Oh yeah yeah a new ymfah, today is gonna be a good day.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

e X posted:

Voldemort is the strongest dark wizard who ever existed. He never wields particular strong magic and fails to take over Britain. Twice.

Three times, if you include Quirrell.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am not being really fair, he does manage to survive the killing curse and does come back in one of the best scenes in the series, but still, for a man who is referred to several times as the most powerful wizard ever, he never really pulls out something really impressive

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Solar Tornado posted:

Maybe I would actually have finished Skyrim if it had that soundtrack.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Don't forget that Dumbledore just absolutely trounces Voldemort in their brief duel in OotP, to the point that Voldemort freaks out and has to resort to using Harry as a human shield in order to get away. If it weren't for the dumb Horcrux bullshit the solution to the whole Voldemort issue is Dumbledore and maybe a couple really good Aurors cornering him and blasting his rear end.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Imagine if you were a supervillain and the only guy you feared was literally your teacher from when you were a kid. But not in an emotional way, he's just jacked to high heaven and could beat the poo poo out of you so you have to avoid him all the time.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

did voldemort tell any of the death eaters where he left his soul

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ariong posted:

“Read another book” is less of a call to action (although it can be that) and more of a summary of their frustrations with people for whom Harry Potter is their main and seemingly only cultural touchstone.

I haven't seen it used like that in a while and hardly even then, it feels more like it's mainly just become another zero-effort thing to fart out to try and shout down people just regularly talking about HP stuff almost every time I see it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm mainly annoyed because I'm worried it'll go the way that 'do your own research' did with people falling into every conspiracy theory as long as it mentions a Jew in charge of anything in any fashion at some point.

Either that or they start reading Jordan Peterson's book.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

e X posted:

I am not being really fair, he does manage to survive the killing curse and does come back in one of the best scenes in the series, but still, for a man who is referred to several times as the most powerful wizard ever, he never really pulls out something really impressive

It doesn't help that we're told that there are exactly three spells used by dark wizards, and I feel like that's never really questioned or shown otherwise until like one chapter in the final book when one of Draco's two interchangable goons makes Sentient Evil Fire because... for some reason that was needed for Harry to destroy a thing.

I'm sure there must be, but every example I can think of right now is from before we're told about the Three Bad Guy Spells.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

These are the Three Bad Guy spells, they are forbidden and you will go to prison for the rest of your life if you attempt to use them. Now it's time to show you how to make love potions and time machines.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Snape's custom spell that Harry almost kills Draco with accidentally in book 6 is dark magic apparently. The whole delineation between what is and is not "dark magic" is pretty arbitrary though. Ginny's signature spell is not dark magic, but turns your face into a lovecraftian horror show of flapping fleshy bat wings which seems way more sick than just insta-killing somebody imo.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

slowly realizing that HP a series is bad, and always was, is one of the worst parts of growing up. it was utterly captivating to me as a child.

looking back, I still do appreciate the very anglo whimsy of the first few books, but it's incredibly obvious that all of those elements were directly lifted from better stories.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

These are the Three Bad Guy spells, they are forbidden and you will go to prison for the rest of your life if you attempt to use them. Now it's time to show you how to make love potions and time machines.

Also we'll use them on people a whole lot but it's okay because we're the good guys.

RareAcumen posted:

I just feel like suggesting a good book as well would be an improvement. I don't trust any superfans to pick out anything good.

Hell I'd accept joke answers like The Magic School Bus even.

They read other books in their Patreon-exclusive episodes! Like A Thousand Perfect Notes and The Fault in Our Stars :v:

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 10, 2021

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I'm mainly annoyed because I'm worried it'll go the way that 'do your own research' did with people falling into every conspiracy theory as long as it mentions a Jew in charge of anything in any fashion at some point.

Either that or they start reading Jordan Peterson's book.
I've not heard the podcast, but isn't the "Read another book" meme less of a literal call to read something else, but more a way to say: "Grownups, please stop deifying and obsessing over Harry Potter to a degree where you apply it to everything around you as if it's the only cultural reference that has ever existed."?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sarcopenia posted:

I've not heard the podcast, but isn't the "Read another book" meme less of a literal call to read something else, but more a way to say: "Grownups, please stop deifying and obsessing over Harry Potter to a degree where you apply it to everything around you as if it's the only cultural reference that has ever existed."?

yes I have no idea what some of these people are talking about, it's a meme you say to people who say insane poo poo like 'this election is literally Harry vs Voldemort and if you don't vote you're a Death Eater'. Saying it's a gateway to antisemitism sure is a weird take on it!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Personally if I were worried about someone getting weird ideas about Jews controlling the world I'd not be stepping up to the plate for the book where Jew Goblins run the world.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

sexpig by night posted:

Personally if I were worried about someone getting weird ideas about Jews controlling the world I'd not be stepping up to the plate for the book where Jew Goblins run the world.

Hey, come on! That's just not true! Those goblins do NOT run the world.

They're just in charge of every bank. Nothing antisemitic about it!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've just seen it used as a predominantly assholey thing to kramer into conversations with. I've seen it bumbled in with on more 'couple of people just casually discussing HP stuff' than people who've made some identity out of HP. :shrug:

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

JFC. That's a huge loving leap.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarciaBelsky/status/1064148783829786624?s=19
Never mind that the place they chose for interior shots of Gringotts has a massive star of David right in the middle of the floor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Solar Tornado posted:

I literally put his episode soundtrack playlists on in the background every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sydin posted:

Don't forget that Dumbledore just absolutely trounces Voldemort in their brief duel in OotP, to the point that Voldemort freaks out and has to resort to using Harry as a human shield in order to get away. If it weren't for the dumb Horcrux bullshit the solution to the whole Voldemort issue is Dumbledore and maybe a couple really good Aurors cornering him and blasting his rear end.

Honestly, the brief exchange before their duel is probably one of my favorite parts of any of those films. How Dumbledore just refuses to call him by his edgelord larp name and just says "Tom" was amazing.