Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I miss Ultimate Soccer Manager where you could bet on/against your own team and take/offer bungs to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm a big fan of Out of the Park Baseball (OOTP) and I was wondering if I could find the same level of customization and simulation in another game. My question(s) for people who play FM:

1. How deep is the customization? Can you set up a custom league, logos, stadiums, etc?
2. Do you have to micromanage a team or could you play with the FM equivalent of OOTP's commissioner mode, just simulating through games without a lot of hands on?
3. How much do you have to know about Europ football to be able to enjoy this game?

Right now, the $50 price tag is too much for me. But I might want to try out FM sometime in the post-covid future.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You can set up custom drat near anything in the editor. The stadiums aren't really visible so there's not much to do there beyond pitch dimensions

There's a menu for delegating tasks, so if you just want to hire an assistant manager and then watch him do literally everything you can, or take control of whatever parts you want. Finances and such are all handled by a nebulous board, so you can't play team owner however.

FM has pretty much every major league worldwide, so if you don't want to deal with Europe you can play elsewhere.

It's also on game pass now if that helps you any

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
I have played OOTP from the beginning and PureSim baseball before that. 20+ years. I got into FM in 2006 when I moved abroad so I would have something to talk to people about at the lunch table. I think it's pretty easy to pick up on the structures of European football but I wouldn't say you need to know all that much to dive in.

I would also say that it can be more customizable than OOTP (save for changing stadium models), but the editor is less user friendly.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Contracts and transfer budgets are much different than in baseball, along with the idea of stepping stone clubs and unhappy players unsettling your squad and so on. But it isn't anything that you can't figure out if you are already into management sims.

Player development feels less random than OOTP to me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm a big fan of Out of the Park Baseball (OOTP) and I was wondering if I could find the same level of customization and simulation in another game. My question(s) for people who play FM:

1. How deep is the customization? Can you set up a custom league, logos, stadiums, etc?
2. Do you have to micromanage a team or could you play with the FM equivalent of OOTP's commissioner mode, just simulating through games without a lot of hands on?
3. How much do you have to know about Europ football to be able to enjoy this game?

Right now, the $50 price tag is too much for me. But I might want to try out FM sometime in the post-covid future.

FM2021 debuted on Game Pass for PC today, so you can get it + a ton of other great stuff for an awesome price.

1. Very deep as far as I know, but I don't really have experience with customizing stuff. But there are an absolute poo poo ton of custom packs out there adding all kinds of different leagues both real and hypothetical (did anything ever come of an American Premiere League mod btw?)

2. I know absolutely jack poo poo about soccer and I do just fine in this game for the most part. Once you get over the overwhelming stats, it's pretty easy to just pick a tactic (which you can have a wizard generate for you, it's great) and then making sure that the players in the positions on the tactic have as many stars as possible. Easy peasy. You can also delegate an absolute crapton of stuff to your staff, so theoretically you could leave literally everything up to the AI to manage for you while you just sit back and watch the games in the match engine, if you wanted.

Personally I let my staff handle most everything except for player contracts, tactics, and managing match day fixtures for competitive games.

3. There are leagues for like every major soccer country in the world already in the game by default, but like I said if you can name a real or fake league out there, someone has probably released a mod for it. That being said... you don't need to know much about European football at all specifically, but understanding the very basics of how (at least) the English football structure works will help you a great deal in learning the game.

If you want to manage in the US with the MLS... good luck. The MLS is a very weird and strange league IRL with a ton of really weird unique rules, and I've never personally been able to break through and enjoy managing an MLS side in FM. But ymmv, some people love it. That's kinda why I asked about an American Premiere League mod.

All in all though I would say that of the like 6 FM games i've owned and played over the years, FM2021 is the most newbie-friendly for someone who doesn't know anything about football. It just does a really great job of putting some things in plainer language for us normies to understand, and it's made a bunch of improvements that at least give me the feeling that I don't need to read tea leaves to interpret results.

Drone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 4, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
FM is far deeper than OOTP but also more opaque. Not only are there far more rating categories but they also interact in a million ways, the hidden categories are far more crucial in FM than in OOTP, and the visible categories often don't actually do what you think they do, on the pitch.

Managing players' egos is far more of a pain in the rear end in FM than in OOTP.

But the worldwide scope of soccer makes FM far more interesting to play pretend at managing teams with.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That all sounds pretty great, and now I really want to try FM2021!

What's interesting about this game is that some of the interactions between coaches/managers and the players seems a lot deeper. In OOTP, you can set strategy, manage the bullpen, etc. But in FM you seem to have the option of actually customizing your pre-game speech to your players and how that will come across? That's really intriguing. I'm much more of a hand-off, let the AI do most of the work kind of player, but it'd be fun to set up my own team and see how far they can go.

e: Thanks for the info.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 4, 2021

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're sick in the head like me and like to play decades-long saves, and you get tired of every star regen being named Lee Davies or Tom Williams (or other cultures' equivalents) the Real Names section of this site for D&D nerds is really handy.

Gonna use the fantasy names instead, can't wait for the world to meet my star strikers Neldor Xil'sandoral and Doramnoug Bouldershield

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Contracts and transfer budgets are much different than in baseball, along with the idea of stepping stone clubs and unhappy players unsettling your squad and so on. But it isn't anything that you can't figure out if you are already into management sims.

Player development feels less random than OOTP to me.

That was something that I really did not like. I think that it is editable, but it loves to take an elite prospect and make him suddenly lose all ability.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's OOTP's clumsy way of trying to model the reality that often an elite baseball prospect will fail to make the jump in level from A to AA, or from AA/AAA to the majors.

Of course it also frequently happens to established major leaguers too.

I put thousands of hours into OOTP before jumping into FM knowing nothing and caring nothing about soccer and ending up putting thousands of hours into FM. When I have a spare half hour I'll write a long effortpost about it, because why not.

Bogan Krkic posted:

Gonna use the fantasy names instead, can't wait for the world to meet my star strikers Neldor Xil'sandoral and Doramnoug Bouldershield

Also valid

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's OOTP's clumsy way of trying to model the reality that often an elite baseball prospect will fail to make the jump in level from A to AA, or from AA/AAA to the majors.

Of course it also frequently happens to established major leaguers too.

I put thousands of hours into OOTP before jumping into FM knowing nothing and caring nothing about soccer and ending up putting thousands of hours into FM. When I have a spare half hour I'll write a long effortpost about it, because why not.

I am aware that it happens to major ML prospects, but I would like a man-made interpretation of baseball to at least allow the player to have less chaotic randomness in building young players.

As for the effortpost, I would definitely read it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Board sold my best player for £3.5m, feel like poo poo. They also accepted £1.5m from Newcastle but he turned them down. I will spend the difference in his honour.

Top of the league by 15 points with 10 games to go. We'd have got £5m+ for him after promotion, easy.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"The player is listed for loan as the club hope to make a profit on him" these motherfuckers.

Scrawny 18 year old centre mid who I trained up to be a classy ball-playing centre half. Now a pawn in some soulless big club's money-making schemes. Game's gone.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Bit the bullet yesterday and bought this, continuing my QPR demo save that sees me snug in 4th place near the end of February.

Sadly Bright Osayi-Samuel got his head turned in the winter transfer window, Burnley tried to lowball a bit but I had a talk with Bright and he agreed we should get at least 9m (still below the 12m higher-division clause in his contract). Wished him luck and pressed on, ended up with a DWW run playing Brentford, Bournemouth and a 5th place Preston in 8 days, my starters are feeling it though. Probably would've helped if I had looked up the current sub rules, didn't know it was bumped to 5 subs/3 stoppages. :v:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Following up what everyone has said here...

Having played OOTP since I think version 3.0 in the early 00's, and having playing FM since Championship Manager 01/02 and being a USA co-HR (non-MLS) since about 2008 I can say the following:

• OOTP is far easier to customize at the front end when you start a new game, or even during the game if you decide to play in Commissioner Mode. However, if you are able to master the very-unfriendly interface of the Advanced Rules Mode in FM's pregame editor than you can edit just as much before starting a new game of FM. However, the learning curve for the Advance Rules Mode is quite steep and can be very confusing even for long-term users like me.

• OOTP and FM do model player development, aging, and injuries differently. A nice thing about OOTP is that it's generally much easier to edit those things. One of the long-standing maddening things about FM is that there's never really been a way to edit how often your players get injured outside of in-game situations, and even if OOTP's development algorithms are more random they have coefficients you can edit to your liking should you decide to play a day in the aforementioned Commissioner Mode, retire, and then play as normal. However, what's nice about FM is that it's generally easier to do little things to affect a developing player's progression via mentoring, custom training, coaching, and things like that.

• OOTP is a far deeper game if you're essentially a stathead who likes following the history of a league, but FM is a far deeper game if you're more into the real-time man-management and strategy side of things. A lot of OOTP strategy is based on sliders, lineup cards, and positional shifts, while in FM you can get down to the details of very specific individual instructions on a game-by-game basis, including individual feedback. One FM drawback is that the dev team constantly has to tweak their 3D match engine because of issues that pop up.

• Both games will let you sim out 100 years if you feel like it. In OOTP, of course, you can just go into Commissioner Mode and pick a date on the calendar to play to. In FM you can't do that, but you can start as an unemployed manager and go on holiday.

• One thing that OOTP has that FM doesn't have is the sense of history in that, thanks to the Lehmann Baseball Database, you can literally pick any year from North American Baseball History going back to I think 1870, load it up, have the game use base statistics to determine player attributes, and play starting in that year.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head while doing overnight baby duty.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 6, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've always been utter poo poo at managing a club's finances in these games. Is the most straightforward way of keeping things afloat just using (far) less of your salary budget than necessary?

I'm playing with the German Football League System mod and just got Weiche Flensburg promoted from the fourth tier in the pyramid to the 3. Bundesliga. Most of the season I was hemorrhaging cash because the squad I started with was already way over the given salary budget for the season, and the board had to give multiple six-figure cash injections to keep the club solvent.

Now that I've been promoted, my salary budget has thankfully gone up by like 2.5x over last season, but I'm worried that if I use it all up on players that I will sorely need to avoid relegation, then the club will not a.) dig itself out of its (small) financial hole and, more importantly in the long term, b.) not be able to afford building a sorely-needed new stadium that is fit for a 3. or 2. Bundesliga side.

tl;dr how make money

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drone posted:

I've always been utter poo poo at managing a club's finances in these games. Is the most straightforward way of keeping things afloat just using (far) less of your salary budget than necessary?

I'm playing with the German Football League System mod and just got Weiche Flensburg promoted from the fourth tier in the pyramid to the 3. Bundesliga. Most of the season I was hemorrhaging cash because the squad I started with was already way over the given salary budget for the season, and the board had to give multiple six-figure cash injections to keep the club solvent.

Now that I've been promoted, my salary budget has thankfully gone up by like 2.5x over last season, but I'm worried that if I use it all up on players that I will sorely need to avoid relegation, then the club will not a.) dig itself out of its (small) financial hole and, more importantly in the long term, b.) not be able to afford building a sorely-needed new stadium that is fit for a 3. or 2. Bundesliga side.

tl;dr how make money

Ignore your budget. Assume your chairman is an idiot for giving it to you. Look at the club's bank balance and income vs expenditure in the finances section and figure out how quickly you're losing money and try to adjust accordingly.

Football clubs generally don't make money in normal business so the game is to lose small enough sums, slowly enough, that you can recoup all that and more in player sales, and grow that way. You probably won't ever have enough in the bank for a new stadium without selling a couple of stars for big fees. My current club was on track to have lost half a million over the course of this season, but one sale later and we're upgrading the training facilities at a cost of £1.8m. With promotion now secured my wage budget has gone from £15k/week to £40k/week but I can't go nuts spending that unless I have a few more multi-million £££ assets to sell a year down the line.

English football with the insane PL revenue is an outlier in that you can pay off huge debts, get rich and keep spending simply by getting promoted to the top flight.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In Germany, if you can get into the second tier, that will sort out your money problems (assuming you can stay there).
But below that, good luck to you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Having a lot of fun taking a shithouse team like Oxford City in tier 6, forcing them into Gegenpress Attack and winning nearly every match

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ostentatious posted:

Having a lot of fun taking a shithouse team like Oxford City in tier 6, forcing them into Gegenpress Attack and winning nearly every match

God I love that poo poo.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!

Your Head of Youth Development has completed his report on this years youth intake and is as follows:-

They are, to a man, absolute garbage. None of them are any good at anything. I cannot emphasise enough how bad they are. None of them know how to kick a ball.

-There are 0 goalkeepers this year because none of them know how to do that.
-The midfielders are complete and utter poo poo.
-We have 1 left back who can barely walk
-There are two wingers who just wandered in off the street and don't know what football is. They hate each other
-We have 1 striker with 3 ASBO's and curvature of the spine
-Every single defensive prospect cannot stand up properly without the aid of an adult

every loving year

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Two of that crop have already picked up fairly bad injuries that tanked their bravery. Hugo Grimstad was poached by Molde before I could lock him down on a pro deal (unlike in England, in Norway young players count towards the 25 man limit when they sign a real contract). Unambitious Maione went to Sassuolo.

Mats Grodas is an 8 Jumping Reach centreback. Tjotta is a 4 Finishing striker. Some work to do before they're ready to carry me to glory.

Dyrnes has 16 Pace and is left-footed. Going to be world class.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Modrasone posted:

Your Head of Youth Development has completed his report on this years youth intake and is as follows:-

They are, to a man, absolute garbage. None of them are any good at anything. I cannot emphasise enough how bad they are. None of them know how to kick a ball.

-There are 0 goalkeepers this year because none of them know how to do that.
-The midfielders are complete and utter poo poo.
-We have 1 left back who can barely walk
-There are two wingers who just wandered in off the street and don't know what football is. They hate each other
-We have 1 striker with 3 ASBO's and curvature of the spine
-Every single defensive prospect cannot stand up properly without the aid of an adult

every loving year

They say the same thing about the golden generations

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bravery does something useful?? News to me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's their willingness to get cte challenging for headers

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah in my experience all it's ever done is get guys carded and injured more

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
Just started playing FM21 after a fairly long break from the series, think FM16 was the last I played.

Should I be using shouts regularly? My only experience so far is that 'encourage' seems to have a small positive impact for a few mins at most and that 'fire-up' tanks morale and causes my BBM to dive in with a two footer and get a straight red.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Encourage, demand more, and praise are the only ones I use, and the latter only sparingly

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I berated my side when 4-1 up in my last game (my keeper just made a wonder save). Finished 5-3. Threw a bottle in the changing room afterwards as well, could have easily been 5-6.

3rd in the top flight halfway through our first season after promotion, players suddenly think they're big shots who don't have to track runners, playing long hospital passes across midfield.

Bravery is good but there's a point where high Bravery, Aggression, Workrate and Dirtiness cause more problems than they solve. Not all attributes are 'higher is better', but a 6 Bravery central striker is going to score less goals than a normal, non-coward.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Mashed Potato posted:

Just started playing FM21 after a fairly long break from the series, think FM16 was the last I played.

Should I be using shouts regularly? My only experience so far is that 'encourage' seems to have a small positive impact for a few mins at most and that 'fire-up' tanks morale and causes my BBM to dive in with a two footer and get a straight red.

Berate if they concede a goal

Praise if they take the lead

Encourage if they equalise, score in a game they're losing or drawing a game they're expected to lose

Demand more if they're drawing a game they're expected to win (first half)

Fire up if they're drawing a game they're expected to win (second half)

I have never deviated from the above in any way, and it works pretty well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I have a 20 Aggression/17 Bravery centreback and about 5 times a game he goes flying out of position like he's fleeing an enraged cheetah to try to make a crazy header or interception, about half the time he gets there to make the play and about half the time he whiffs and gives up a high danger scoring chance. I keep him around anyway because it's awesome.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have a 20 Aggression/17 Bravery centreback and about 5 times a game he goes flying out of position like he's fleeing an enraged cheetah to try to make a crazy header or interception, about half the time he gets there to make the play and about half the time he whiffs and gives up a high danger scoring chance. I keep him around anyway because it's awesome.

Does he have the "David Luiz" hidden ppm? Doubles decisions half the time, reduces it to 1 the other half.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

lmao

Also that defender is named Oliver Gardner which is incredible

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Twenty saves by Watkins :stonk:

That's a 10.0 if there ever was one.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Is there any way to give your manager character an actual playing history?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lemon posted:

Is there any way to give your manager character an actual playing history?

Best you can do is setting the playing experience level and some favourite clubs. Game might decide you've got caps for your national team but nothing more than that unfortunately.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Crazy Ted posted:

Twenty saves by Watkins :stonk:

That's a 10.0 if there ever was one.

I saw that. As a former keeper, I was cheering for a guy that doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Last FA Cup Update: time to get loving murdered boys

Facing Manchester United as Oxford City.

I’ll be honest I never thought a football management simulator with no character control would get me as invested as I am over this. What an incredible game, I think I get it