Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Congratulations, Cocaine Bear

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

These look exactly like this one kind of candy, I don't know the name but they're this shape and gummy and fruit flavored. I've got a strong association with one this shape being green colored and having a weird flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mauser posted:

Can someone remind me why everyone hates Dick Dorkins? I have a friend who texted me saying he's finally reading some philosophy for the first time and the author was Richard Dawkins and without really knowing which book or what the guy is talking about in it I just had kind of a sinking feeling when that name came out alongside the whole first foray into philosophy.

He went all-in on Muslim hate to the point he stans Xmas.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mauser posted:

Can someone remind me why everyone hates Dick Dorkins? I have a friend who texted me saying he's finally reading some philosophy for the first time and the author was Richard Dawkins and without really knowing which book or what the guy is talking about in it I just had kind of a sinking feeling when that name came out alongside the whole first foray into philosophy.

There was an event at a convention (an atheist convention?) where a prominent woman in the community was made really uncomfortable and creeped out by a stranger propositioning her in an elevator, and she held it up an example of Guys, Don't Do This. Dawkins responded extremely pettily, saying feminists shouldn't complain about minor stuff like this when THE MUSLIMS are out there constantly mutilating everyone's genitals.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

These look exactly like this one kind of candy, I don't know the name but they're this shape and gummy and fruit flavored. I've got a strong association with one this shape being green colored and having a weird flavor.

Jujyfruits? As a child, I always bought those in the movies because they lasted longest and were cheap.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/thejazzemu/status/1369647110736461826?s=19

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1369660060293505032?s=20

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Jujubes

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mauser posted:

This is the esteemed intellectual whose work your friend is consuming:

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/396956105869250561

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/336048706853937152

Haha seriously though he:
- Despises Muslims. Like, really really loving hates them.
- As mentioned, is incredibly sexist and hates feminists/feminism.
- Likes to say poo poo like this, constantly:
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/494012678432894976

Also he's actually kind of a lovely writer, according to pretty much all of my molecular biologist / geneticist colleagues.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mak0rz posted:

This is the esteemed intellectual whose work your friend is consuming:

Also he's actually kind of a lovely writer, according to pretty much all of my molecular biologist / geneticist colleagues.

Counterpoint: he does have a funny tweet of "please stop calling me dick dorkins".

(If this tweet is fake no one tell me. NO ONE TELL ME I NEED TO BELIEVE)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
dawkins had a decent pop-sci book about genetics in the 90s and he gained an unearned celebrity status which he squandered as part of the new atheism "brights" movement when evangelical atheism became an internet thing in the aughts, and ever sense then he's been a candidate for king mensa big brain who says completely dumbfuck poo poo endorsed by his unimpeachable status as a galaxy minded academic

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/448240882710757376

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

He did coin the term "meme", though. You gotta give him that.

(More seriously, my impression is that his scientific work has been hugely influential and that he deserves his academic position based on that. It's just his forays into everything else that are disastrous.)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
right, like many academics if he just stayed in his loving lane he'd be fine, but he likes to sound off about all kinds of poo poo and it turns out being an excellent geneticist or astrophysicist or what have you doesn't translate well at all to any other aspect of thinking

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kenning posted:

He's also stupendously sexist. Also:

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1228943686953664512

One thing I can say for him though, he doesn't delete his Tweets.

Can't find the original source but

quote:

A Richard Dawkins tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones, there's 140 characters and something horrible happens

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/1342113315422687232

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

E: ^^^-yeah, that. What a total loser.

Happens to plenty of "smart" people. They're so good in their field they assume they're good in every field and everyone wants to hear their opinions! Then it turns out being good at, say, brain surgery doesn't necessarily translate into having a function brain when it comes to, say, politics or policy.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jordan Peterson is another prominent case. His academic career was pretty much as good as it gets, and then he decided that his work on personality psychology made him an expert on lobsters and the virtues of cleaning your room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Jordan Peterson is another prominent case. His academic career was pretty much as good as it gets, and then he decided that his work on personality psychology made him an expert on lobsters and the virtues of cleaning your room.

I find it very difficult to believe that he has created anything of academic worth.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

JP, like Dawkins in the Happy Holidays tweet, invented something to get mad at and then got really mad at it. Jordan Peterson got famous (outside of academia) for saying that if some new anti-discrimination language was added to the Canadian Human Rights Act, he'd be fired or jailed or dissolved in acid or something, if he didn't use gender neutral pronouns if someone wanted him to. He was very far off the mark, to the point that it might have been a malicious and willful misinterpretation. Personally, I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was merely being a paranoid delusional idiot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ultrafilter posted:

In slight defense of Jordan Peterson, learning to clean your loving room probably improved the ability of a lot of his followers ability to sleep with a girl.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I find it very difficult to believe that he has created anything of academic worth.

Most academics don't.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

ultrafilter posted:

He was a good orator but that was about it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/richarddawkins/status/389432783304548352?s=21

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

apatheticman posted:

He was a good orator but that was about it.

He's not even that, he sounds like a Canadian Kermit the Frog. I like Kermit, but I don't want to hear an hour long lecture on the sins of Tinkerbell from him.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshi Wins posted:

Personally, I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was merely being a paranoid delusional idiot.

he's a christian conservative who is so wishy-washy and wrapped up in "but what does it all mean?" academic obfuscation that he can't even admit in public, perhaps even to himself, that he's just a standard flyover conservative christian who happens to have a big brain smarty mans job

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

he's a christian conservative who is so wishy-washy and wrapped up in "but what does it all mean?" academic obfuscation that he can't even admit in public, perhaps even to himself, that he's just a standard flyover conservative christian who happens to have a big brain smarty mans job

Yeah, I think I've picked this up as well. He's so squeamish about just directly answering whether or not he believes in God.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBoIton/status/1369074873260273665

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

This is basically a dril tweet but unironic.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Is this some kind of feeble pro racism thing?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

In slight defense of Jordan Peterson, learning to clean your loving room probably improved the ability of a lot of his followers ability to sleep with a girl.

JP is a lot like those people who hawk PUA advice in that there's a few reasonable things peppered in (clean your room and get organized/be confident, stuff like that) but it's nothing that you won't get from a thousand other places and they just use it to lure you in and build up to the truly nutso stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Absolutely. Not sure what the hats are about though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Dr. Seuss' estate stopped publishing a half-dozen or so of his more racist books, because they were embarrassing in modern light.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Dr. Seuss' estate stopped publishing a half-dozen or so of his more racist books, because they were embarrassing in modern light.
And it's none of the Cat in the Hat books. It's his very first book, And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, published 1937, plus some others of his early works. They have some egregious racial caricatures. Mulberry Street is older than the shoe-polishing scene in Fantasia, than Song of the South, than a whole bunch of things that we realized decades ago weren't fit for general audiences.

The hilarious thing, as always, is that people running out to publish Cat in the Hat books and paraphernalia are enriching the Seuss estate they're so angry at.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

dick dorkins is just an edgelord prototype

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And it's none of the Cat in the Hat books. It's his very first book, And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, published 1937, plus some others of his early works. They have some egregious racial caricatures. Mulberry Street is older than the shoe-polishing scene in Fantasia, than Song of the South, than a whole bunch of things that we realized decades ago weren't fit for general audiences.

The hilarious thing, as always, is that people running out to publish Cat in the Hat books and paraphernalia are enriching the Seuss estate they're so angry at.

Mulberry Street is the only one I remember at all, but not enough to remember anything racist. Not that I don't believe it is, just I can't recall hardly any details. And the fact everyone complaining about it is latching onto Cat in The Hat and Sneetches imagery indicates they don't remember any of the books being pulled either.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Good for those cops to dress up like the clowns with the emotional intelligence of a 9 year old. Normally they come across as terminal edgy 15 year olds with their Punisher logos.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/clapifyoulikeme/status/1369736923510681610
They did

Mulberry Street's image (the one in the back is a later revision, which is still... not good)

If I Ran The Zoo

The Seusses everybody remembers are the ones from Cat In The Hat onwards. I read Mulberry Street to children on the bookmobile, but I am so old we did it as a felt board.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Mar 10, 2021

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

That dog looks like he is feeling a deep sense of shame for being around those cops. Poor doggie.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Awesome thread.

https://twitter.com/Skatebutch/status/1369411708536651776

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

[quote="Arsenic Lupin" post="513123996"]
https://twitter.com/clapifyoulikeme/status/1369736923510681610
They did
Someone covered the Rent song? Oh dear god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AFAIK nobody Tiktoked it (yet) but they certainly did quote it in the replies to the original tweet.

https://twitter.com/vuokko/status/1369185483683733505