Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

obi_ant posted:

Re-do a Sapphire sign-up? What do you mean?

Chase is not a lifetime lockout like Amex, you can get a sign-up bonus for the either the Sapphire Reserve or Sapphire Preferred every 48 months. I think most of their other cards are every 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Unsinkabear posted:

Chase is not a lifetime lockout like Amex, you can get a sign-up bonus for the either the Sapphire Reserve or Sapphire Preferred every 48 months. I think most of their other cards are every 24.

Ah. Every 4 years. How does someone do this? I think I’m close to my 4 year mark.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

obi_ant posted:

Ah. Every 4 years. How does someone do this? I think I’m close to my 4 year mark.

Double-check the offer fine print and what others on Reddit and doctorofcredit have said, because it's been a minute since I looked into it. But I believe the only other requirement is that you do not currently have that card. I think if you meet that and the time limit, you just apply through the offer link like anyone else.

5/24 applies ofc and I imagine it probably also helps to still have a business relationship with them and to not have cancelled your previous Sapphire card too recently. But who knows, Chase is weirdly lax on personal cards given how conservative they've become on the business ones.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 8, 2021

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Is American Express normally difficult to deal with? I made one purchase on my new card and linked it to Apple Pay and immediately pinged their fraud detection.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Oh hey Alliant sent out an email saying that they're reversing the decrease in value of their cashback points "in response to member feedback." I wonder if that feedback included everyone immediately stop using the card like how I switched back to the Fidelity 2%.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

Oh hey Alliant sent out an email saying that they're reversing the decrease in value of their cashback points "in response to member feedback." I wonder if that feedback included everyone immediately stop using the card like how I switched back to the Fidelity 2%.

This was so lovely because I never got any email that they had changed it, only the one about reverting the change. Luckily I was working on a CapOne business card bonus at the time, or I would have just screwed myself over for a whole quarter without ever realizing it (their 2% card is normally my go-to for flat rewards).

I use them as my main bank specifically because they're a credit union and known for being consumer-friendly, so this kind of behavior leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me concerned about whether I have to start watchdogging in them in the future. As a rule, I prefer that my central financial institutions be ones that aren't trying to gently caress me over as a main prong of their business model (looking at you, BofA).

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 11, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

This was so lovely because I never got the email that they had changed it, only the one about reverting the change. Luckily I was working on a CapOne business card bonus at the time, or I would have just screwed myself over for a whole quarter without ever realizing it (their 2% card is normally my go-to for flat rewards).

I use them as my main bank specifically because they're a credit union and known for being consumer-friendly, so this kind of behavior leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me concerned about whether I have to start watchdogging in them in the future. As a rule, I prefer that my central financial institutions be ones that don't aren't constantly trying to gently caress me over as a main prong of their business model (looking at you, BofA).

I also received no notice about it and I'm going to cash out my points immediately and still not use the card.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

I also received no notice about it and I'm going to cash out my points immediately and still not use the card.

Unsinkabear posted:

Alliant just slashed the value of people's existing rewards card points without notifying anyone, and only rewound it a month later when people noticed and got mad. So much for credit unions being inherently more trustworthy. Does anyone have a replacement suggestion to use as my main hub for stuff like checking, HYSA, and short-term savings buckets? The first consideration is ACH transfer speed, with the ability to have supplemental savings accounts for free and a lack of this kind of corporate shittiness a close second and third. Credit union would be nice but is apparently not worth making a requirement.

Crossposting myself from the investment thread because yeah, you and me both. I can almost spin this as "at least they listened to feedback" because they're my core bank and I have really loved the experience... but if I'm being honest with myself, nothing good will come of staying with a company that thought it was okay to make that change with no announcement.

If anyone has a rec re: the above, let me know

astral
Apr 26, 2004

People noticed right away; that was probably a solid month of people complaining, closing accounts, etc. which made them reverse course.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Yeah, I understand that. I meant the change took a month and only came as a result of extreme hollering.

Does anyone have experience with Connexus? Nerdwallet is making them sound pretty good, but I can't find any info about their transfer speeds

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Might need to get a CC for a small business to seperate out expenses going forward, already have a personal amex plat, what's some good options

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Does Amex ever do no-lifetime language offers anymore, for say like Plat or Gold? I know they did it occasionally after they made the switch, but it was also very much ymmv. Or is that long gone these days.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Might need to get a CC for a small business to seperate out expenses going forward, already have a personal amex plat, what's some good options

CapOne Spark Cash is a flat 2% on everything with a $500 signup bonus, Chase Ink Cash is $750 with 5% on office supplies, internet, cable, and phone.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you already have business checking with Chase I’ve seen $750 + $1250 if you meet certain 6 month spending targets. I passed on that because I’m planning to do Ink Preferred (which had a similar deal) since I’m ready to travel.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Untagged posted:

Does Amex ever do no-lifetime language offers anymore, for say like Plat or Gold? I know they did it occasionally after they made the switch, but it was also very much ymmv. Or is that long gone these days.

It's almost always targeted only.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just noticed my yearly CSR fee just hit, and it's "only" $450, so really $150. I think I pretty easily get $150/year of value out of the card, so here's to another year. I can't recall when I got the card though: it was back when they were offering the 100k offer, so probably 4+ years ago? Does that mean I'm eligible for another sign-on bonus now?

And is there anything I can do to get targeted for the Amex Platinum bonuses?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
The sign-up bonus for the Chase Sapphire Preferred will be 80k points in a few weeks, per Doctor of Credit.

I'm pretty sure I'm eligible for the sign-up bonus again, and since 2020 was a bust for doing much of anything I haven't opened a new card in over a year so I'm well under 5/24 again! Woo!

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
I'm going to product change our CSP to something without a fee - looks like Chase Freedom Flex is probably the right play? We have the Citi Double Cash for 2% across the board so the flat 1.5% from CFU doesn't do me any good.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

e:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Blistering Sunburn posted:

I'm going to product change our CSP to something without a fee - looks like Chase Freedom Flex is probably the right play? We have the Citi Double Cash for 2% across the board so the flat 1.5% from CFU doesn't do me any good.

To paraphrase myself from a couple pages ago:

runawayturtles posted:

Both the Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited are good cards ... However, both have signup bonuses (which I would recommend getting from the goon referral sheet). So if you really want to maximize your rewards, the best option would be to product change to the regular Sapphire and just not use it.

But yeah, if you don't care enough to get the signup bonus, it's probably the most useful one for you to product change to.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Hey, do we have a system for posting referral links on SA? I've got a few refer-a-friend links that I'd like to toss up, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Spiderjelly posted:

Hey, do we have a system for posting referral links on SA? I've got a few refer-a-friend links that I'd like to toss up, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

Let me know if the right cards aren't on here and I can add pages for them.

Otherwise just go to the corresponding page and add your links/username.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Let me know if the right cards aren't on here and I can add pages for them.

Otherwise just go to the corresponding page and add your links/username.

Thanks!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Coming up on Amex Green renewal - no strong reason to have this and the Plat at the same time, right?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

CubicalSucrose posted:

Coming up on Amex Green renewal - no strong reason to have this and the Plat at the same time, right?

It really depends on your use case. If you travel a lot and want the perks the plat gets you, including all those credits, it could be worth having. But the green has better point earning potential than the plat for purchases that aren't through Amex travel. Honestly if you fly a lot it's worth having both imo if you get enough use out of them to offset the fee.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

If you're really on the fence see if you can get a retention offer on the phone

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any situation where amex travel isn't at least 5% more than booking through another service

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hadlock posted:

Is there any situation where amex travel isn't at least 5% more than booking through another service

It’s certainly not the best place to look for a deal. The real benefits for plat are the credits, concierge and lounges, which really only matter to high rollers

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Sometimes with Amex Travel you get a free night if you stay for like 4 or 5 nights. If you get that, that can make it cheaper than the other services.

I've also heard anecdotes of Amex Travel price-matching other services if you call them, but I've never tried that myself.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Just picked up the revamped PenFed Pathfinder. ~$425 signup bonus, $100 annual airline credit, and no annual fee if you have a checking account with them. The checking account requires $500 sitting in it to be fee-less, but that's super doable and also activates 2% mode on their cashback card, which is the least restrictive 2% card that I know of. Actual cash back, no minimum, can redeem rewards as cash into any account (including external ones), and can be set to auto-redeem itself with zero input. I've switched to it as my daily driver since Alliant pulled their bullshit.

Now all they have to do is unfuck their online banking experience, and they might actually be an institution worth doing real business with. But in the meantime, I think both of these cards are slept on and worth the hassle for anyone who hasn't already checked those boxes in their wallet.

Warning: they won't void the annual fee on the Pathfinder retroactively, so you need to be a member and have that checking account ahead of time. I recommend applying for the Power Cash, opening a checking account if they approve you, then coming back for the Pathfinder once you finish that first bonus. If you don't need the 2% Power Cash, you'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth it to sign up for checking before you know if you'll be approved for the Pathfinder or not. I think they've gotten pretty relaxed on applications though (by military credit union standards, anyway), because I was rejected for the previous version of the card and insta-approved for this one despite its higher credit limit.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cool I’ve never looked at PenFed past my nominal checking account balance to stay a member and getting good mortgage rates.

I’ll check out their offerings.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hadlock posted:

They sometimes have good deals on flights on certain airlines.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Also, the Chase Sapphire Preferred's bonus is increasing to 80,000 soon. They care about you having a "business relationship" with them, so now is a great time to open that $200-bonused personal checking account and start putting your direct deposits into it until it's time to apply for your CSP.

One day I will have a free under-5/24 application slot to pick up a dang Discover It, but it is not this day quarter.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 19, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is the debit Red Card the best option for Target? It’s 5% off at checkout time and the money comes right of your bank account a few days later.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

smackfu posted:

Is the debit Red Card the best option for Target? It’s 5% off at checkout time and the money comes right of your bank account a few days later.

I use it and I say it is the best option. It's really not worth the hard pull for the credit version when the debit gives you all the benefits anyway.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

im on the net me boys posted:

I use it and I say it is the best option. It's really not worth the hard pull for the credit version when the debit gives you all the benefits anyway.

There's a big difference between debit and credit if you have to deal with fraudulent charges. Don't use debit at point of sale terminals, or really anywhere else, if you can help it.

Hard pulls don't matter that much unless you're specifically chasing as many bonuses as possible (in which case you're probably more worried about 5/24 anyway) or you're going to apply for a major loan soon (in which case you just shouldn't be chasing credit cards at all).

As far as the card itself goes, it's a store card with some benefits. It's worth it if you shop at Target all the time. If not, then most quarters you can find a rotating-category card that happens to have big box stores on its 5% list.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

The Target card literally only works at target so I’m not exactly concerned about someone skimming it and doing fraudulent purchases

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Couple more arguments for CC over Debit.

Target card works online, so fraud is a higher possibility than you think and doesn't need to be skimmed to be stolen. CC will increase your credit limit/reduce your total utilization across all your cards. Large planned purchases can be timed with 0%/$0 fee BT promos on other cards to basically increase rewards in tandem with high yield savings/checking accounts.

Any one of those 3 is worth a hard pull in my opinion if you have them to spare anyway.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Girbot posted:

Target card works online, so fraud is a higher possibility than you think and doesn't need to be skimmed to be stolen.

It's still at vastly lower risk than anything you'd be using as a daily driver. It can basically only be stolen by a Target database breach, which you'd likely hear about and be able to get in front of (and is also less likely to be targeted due to the narrow usability of said cards).

Girbot posted:

CC will increase your credit limit/reduce your total utilization across all your cards.

This is really only a factor in the early-ish stages where you're established on your first card or two, but don't have a bunch of higher-end ones that add up to a large total credit pool yet. And that is a time when you absolutely should not be applying for something of arguable usefulness like a one-store CC that has a debit twin with an equal bonus. Use those early applications to get your hard-to-get, high-value cards from places like US Bank that are super sensitive to too many applications or existing cards. I will probably never be able to get their cards, no matter how long I wait between applications, and I am forever vexed by this.

The /r/churning community on Reddit has a solid flowchart for when you're in this phase. It's only updated quarterly-ish, so once you have those early super-sensitive ones in your wallet, then you'll want to start cross-checking it against doctorofcredit for any recent changes that may supercede their recommended next step (temporarily increased bonuses on something farther down your priority list, for example, or nerfs to cards that were high on theirs)

Edit: I realize you probably already know this, but it's important enough that I'm including it just in case someone reads this later who doesn't

Girbot posted:

Large planned purchases can be timed with 0%/$0 fee BT promos on other cards to basically increase rewards in tandem with high yield savings/checking accounts.

Not really sure what you're trying to suggest here, can you elaborate?

Girbot posted:

Any one of those 3 is worth a hard pull in my opinion if you have them to spare anyway.

Hard disagree for all the reasons given above. You're right that hard pulls don't matter, but approved new cards do. I'm normally an evangelist of credit > debit wherever possible, but if you're trying to stay under 5/24 indefinitely (which is probably a good idea, so you don't look weird to lenders and retain the option to jump on things like the upcoming CSP bonus boost) then you only get ~2 new personal cards a year (you can still alternate with business ones, however) and your applications are way too precious to use on Target.

If you're really worried about fraud, you could just link the debit RedCard to its own little checking account that you only keep your budgeted amount of Target spending money in, so even if it gets stolen they can't take you for a ride. I'm assuming most people itt bank somewhere like Alliant or Ally where you can do that easily and for free.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

re:fraud & utilization

vOv, differing opinions on the value of HP vs additional risk mitigation. That's fine.

Unsinkabear posted:

Use those early applications to get your hard-to-get, high-value cards from places like US Bank that are super sensitive to too many applications or existing cards. I will probably never be able to get their cards, no matter how long I wait between applications, and I am forever vexed by this.

My Cash+ was my 8th card and my previous 7 were opened within 2 years prior. I had 700+ credit and not a high level of income. Unless you're talking about a different US Bank card or they've become more stringent, I'd be surprised if you're unable to get it in the future.

Unsinkabear posted:

Not really sure what you're trying to suggest here, can you elaborate?

General rule for responsible spending is to treat credit cards as debit cards and only spend what you have. Credit Cards allow you to carry a balance that can be transferred. If you see a balance transfer promotion coming on another card (e.g. DCU's yearly January promo) that allows you to transfer a balance for free with no APR for 6 - 18 month, you can plan large Target purchases around this and get some additional "cashback" through the APY of a high-yield savings or checking account by transferring the balance and putting the money into the savings/checking account and turning on auto-pay for the minimum payment for the duration of the promo. This can be chained if another promo comes up before expiration. I've been floating between 10K - 15K this way for years now for an additional $300 - $450 a year. As someone who churns bank accounts, this is basically and easy way to get 1 or 2 bonuses worth of risk free cash each year (I personally gamble the money on the market because I have enough to cover it anyway, and basically use it as interest free margin—plus the additional margin it affords me from my broker, so I net much more than the 3% I'd get from my LMCU account. But I don't suggest this strategy for 99% of people).

tl;dr keep as much of your money as you can, for as long as you can, and make it work for you to earn more.

Unsinkabear posted:

if you're trying to stay under 5/24 indefinitely (which is probably a good idea.)

This is basically what I meant by "if you have them available anyway" If you don't open a lot of credit cards, RED credit vs debit is an easy yes for me.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 21, 2021