Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

Idk why but I used to hate those horizontal elf ears.

Yeah same, it's frickin weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Weedle posted:

sorry that spongebob box van rules

It's okay but it's no reptar, the reptar car rules, and the mr krabs one is alright.

Looper posted:

i actually like most of those! the patrick one is a victim of color choices and the tommy poop truck is of course a league of its own but otherwise they're pretty fun, esp the reptar

Personally I think some of the designs are good as potential kitbashing material for hot wheels modding but there are plenty of vehicles that are either kind of oddly lazy or kind of horrifying. Then a bunch are just kind of bland and not noteworthy. Tommy poo poo truck is on a whole different level though of course.

Have some more cars and then I'm done posting pics for the time being.

Also this is good

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

Lodoss started as a Japanese guy’s DnD campaign or something like that, iirc

More games than you'd think start that way, japanese or not.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Cars that adopt a character's design: pretty cool, radical even

Cars that look like you transformed the character into a car: horrifying, why would you do this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I got hitched in Magical Melody :toot:

Now all we need to do is consumate the marriage :getin:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted:

I got hitched in Magical Melody :toot:

Now all we need to do is consumate the marriage :getin:

to eve??

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

The Spongebob cars are cool the others are horrifying

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
weeelp I liked the Fights in Tight Spaces demo enough to get hooked into the Early Access for the game (don't know how exactly I feel about Early Access as a concept but I suppose if it's actually a small studio kinda using it like a running Kickstarter it's fine)

I regret nothing and will probably also buy it again if it releases on Switch like I did with Into the Breach

hey why isn't FTL on Switch WTF

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Chev posted:

More games than you'd think start that way, japanese or not.
yeah but the difference with lodoss is, the first stuff they published were just transcripts of them playing D&D. replays were very popular over there, only recently have stuff like actual play podcasts taken off over here but its not the same

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

hey why isn't FTL on Switch WTF

The devs have said they have no plans to bring it to console. Its not on playstation or xbox either.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looper posted:

to eve??

She is Best Girl :hai:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

The devs have said they have no plans to bring it to console. Its not on playstation or xbox either.

They're pretty much done with it, which is a bit of a bummer, because a more fleshed out sequel would own

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1369664057075240962?s=20

drat those sprites look good

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Cats are so great :3:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Cat pics?

Cat pics

Here's one I just took of Luna. She is an adorable hellraiser.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So I guess Nintendo still releases system updates for the Wii U. I hadn't turned my system on since December, but did just now, and it had a system update waiting for me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I said come in! posted:

So I guess Nintendo still releases system updates for the Wii U. I hadn't turned my system on since December, but did just now, and it had a system update waiting for me.

i would wager the 3ds and wii u will be receiving system updates for a long while yet to maintain eshop compatibility

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Cats are the greatest thing on earth :3:

So DQ11 sure has a slow start huh? I'm really enjoying exploring this town but dang, I'm 7 hours in and have barely fought anything!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Weedle posted:

i would wager the 3ds and wii u will be receiving system updates for a long while yet to maintain eshop compatibility
and also to try and thwart homebrew

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

I said come in! posted:

Iirc there was one last week that was the first in a long time so you just have wild timing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mah cat

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

"Wot the fook are ye lookin' at???"

Hehe.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The sprites do look good (Tribute does nice sprite games in general) but part of me wishes it looked more like that killer opening - like Streets of Rage 4.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Relax Or DIE posted:

it came up a few threads ago but a beat em up thread might be cool. I thought about making it myself but I don't know that I have the deep genre knowledge to make an OP good enough that something like that would deserve.

Make sure to mention that in Japan they're called "Belt Action Games"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would both read and post clueless questions in a beat-em-up thread

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The key to Gitting Gud at SOR4 besides just memorizing enemy spawns is to master staggers and stacking. Basically you deliberately end your normal strings early to keep your opponents in hitstun while inducing them to stack up on each other, letting you hit them all at once and launch them into one of your big combo chains. It also occurs to me that being familiar with fighting game terminology is also helpful here.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ErrEff posted:

The sprites do look good (Tribute does nice sprite games in general) but part of me wishes it looked more like that killer opening - like Streets of Rage 4.
i'm assuming that Lizardcube is too busy with a new project to work on TMNT. I'm hyphy for whatever they do next, even if it's just a remake like Dragon's Trap (but hopefully a better game than Dragon's Trap).

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Cats are the greatest thing on earth :3:

So DQ11 sure has a slow start huh? I'm really enjoying exploring this town but dang, I'm 7 hours in and have barely fought anything!

I think I heard that the demo was a whopping 10 hours long. So... maybe another 3 hours until it really picks up?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Which beat em up games have the deepest combat system?

I want a beat em up that plays like a full on fighting game with combos and special moves but every time somebody is like "oh plenty of beat em ups have depth!" I go try whatever they suggest and like, there's 1 or 2 special moves tops, I want more!

It feels like a genre that never moved past quarter-munching.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

capcom alien vs predator, is the pinnacle

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

capcom alien vs predator, is the pinnacle

AvP has some good stuff for sure. Weapons you can pick up, shoulder cannons, some special moves. Still, not much in the way of combos though. And a lot of the coolest attacks have limited ammo/energy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yakuza is the deepest beat em up

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Deepest beat em up is God Hand. Or DMCV if you wanna count that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Real hurthling! posted:

yakuza is the deepest beat em up

Emotionally and spiritually deep yes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hatty posted:

Deepest beat em up is God Hand. Or DMCV if you wanna count that

Yeah I think that's a different genre, but God Hand is right on the fence.

Yakuza is probably the right answer.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My first thought is Guardian Heroes, it's a Treasure beat em up/rpg. Every character is a different class and they've all got unique movesets with fighting game inputs and command lists.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Which beat em up games have the deepest combat system?

I want a beat em up that plays like a full on fighting game with combos and special moves but every time somebody is like "oh plenty of beat em ups have depth!" I go try whatever they suggest and like, there's 1 or 2 special moves tops, I want more!

It feels like a genre that never moved past quarter-munching.

Dungeon Fighter Online is a side scrolling beat-em-up MMO with at least a dozen moves(usually more) for each class of character when levelled up, all of which can be activated by fighting game commands that can be customized.

There's also 14 different base characters with at least 4 different subclasses they can specialize in.

It's also a free to play MMO from South Korea, and if I just broke your heart, I'm sorry.

edit: Also it's not really deep, but there sure is a lot of it.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

does Absolver still exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Their next game looks kinda cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQ1YO3Ks2U