Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

To put it another way, people talking about fascists often seems like the intent is more to categorize mainstream politics as not fascist. The point isn't to go after the Proud Boys or whatever; it's to make sure that people understand that mainstream institutions really aren't that bad!

this is the crux of centrism and a concept and how they maintain the eponymous illusion of being somehow in the center of all things

well, it's not so much an illusion in that they do see themselves at the center of all things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There was a period of maybe 2 years where it felt like every left podcast was obsessed with the question of defining fascism and classifying things as fascist or not. As if you could construct some logical proof that Trump and his supporters are fascist, then use that to mobilize people against them. Read my blog and wake up, sheeple!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
matt's shtick about how old movies didn't pander is whatever but I'm watching the sorceror and it features a Palestinian bomber trying to knife a dude who killed an old nazi and it's barely a plot point, it rules

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

There was a period of maybe 2 years where it felt like every left podcast was obsessed with the question of defining fascism and classifying things as fascist or not. As if you could construct some logical proof that Trump and his supporters are fascist, then use that to mobilize people against them. Read my blog and wake up, sheeple!

I think a lot of people who otherwise mean well still use this sort of framing. Discussion of 1/6 was probably the best recent example of this - many leftists still treated it like some dire threat, because fascists! And like you were the equivalent of a holocaust denier or something if you didn't think it was an attempted fascist coup. I think people didn't want to seem like they were "downplaying fascism" or something. Even people like the Citations Needed guys (who otherwise generally have good politics) fall into this trap.

Part of it, I think, is a result of "being a leftist on the internet/twitter." You become trained to frame all the things you say with the knowledge that "liberals might criticize me" and to preemptively address this criticisms. Like you gotta make sure that you point out that you know Trump is a fascist and aren't equating him with non-fascists! Do this enough, and you start to actually believe it (or you become like me and suddenly realize one day that it's all nonsense).

Xaris posted:

Matt also went on Death Is Just Around The Corner to plug it as well. at least he addressed that he understands and admit it feels weird to be on stitcher and mostly trying to help his boys Brenden James out with Season 2 of Blowback. described as a "package of chapo shows and see if anybody who only listens to stitcher shows who doesn't know us will be able to listen"

idk what this Stitcher poo poo is but a separate proprietary app with subscription service to listen to a podcast is weird and dumb and i will always just pirate it so i can use it on pocketcasts without yet another app like gaming stores balkanizing to a bazillion of lovely rear end proprietary epic games ubi rockstar bethesda gog wb ea launchers

e: looking up prices, I guess $5/mon for Stitcher Premium isn't bad. That's about a typical patreon price for 1 pod and I'd pay that to Blowback patreon or something, but its mostly the "proprietary launcher" that's no-go.

Yeah, that's the only time where I just went "lol no I'm going to pirate that." I get the impression that it was probably Felix's idea more than Matt's. Felix is very self-aware about his situation, but I also get the impression that he's ironically actually one of the chapos who cares the most about his own "professional reputation/success" (along with Virgil). He'll sort of tongue-in-cheek mention being a "bestselling author" but he's totally actually proud of that. Note the fact that they're the only chapos who are verified on Twitter.

I get the impression Will is fine with just managing the show and Matt doesn't care much either way.

vanishedimam
Nov 15, 2017

Xaris posted:

I think that is true, sort of like epic game store exclusives they're probably paying for some amount of exclusive hosting for some time. iirc blowback eventually released them publicly some time later. i don't think matt is intentionally being disingenuous about not wanting to help draw listenership to Blowback 2 but i agree it feels really flimsy. maybe viewership for BB1 really wasn't great. honestly just say "they offered us a lot of money to work 2 hrs a week and i like money".

but yeah the patreon premium model seems like it's better if you're looking to get paid; although most shows are usually on some sort of regular schedule 1 ep every 3 day <-> 3 weeks sort of thing. maybe less so when it's "season" although I have no idea why Blowback couldn't have just released them continuously as they went along over the course of several months and under a patreon scheme instead of waiting for them all to be done and putting it out in blocks

maybe the Stitcher money is really freaking good.

I expressly asked around about this and stitcher apparently only makes any monetary sense at all if you have enough of a track record and established clout that stitcher is willing to bet that you'll convert a significant portion of that clout into stitcher subscribers, some of whom will stick. So for something like Blowback it works but for normies who are not Chapo legends it's probably not really a viable route.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

matt's shtick about how old movies didn't pander is whatever but I'm watching the sorceror and it features a Palestinian bomber trying to knife a dude who killed an old nazi and it's barely a plot point, it rules

Sorcerer loving owns

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
pretty wild that not only couldn't you say that 6/1 was some murky army intelligence or alphabet soup agency operation or some joint op, you couldn't even rightfully admit that the entire thing was incredibly cool and incredibly funny

especially the Q Shaman guy

free my man

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tanqui go home

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

vanishedimam posted:

I expressly asked around about this and stitcher apparently only makes any monetary sense at all if you have enough of a track record and established clout that stitcher is willing to bet that you'll convert a significant portion of that clout into stitcher subscribers, some of whom will stick. So for something like Blowback it works but for normies who are not Chapo legends it's probably not really a viable route.
i guess that makes sense it's like ~pinstagram influencers~ where if you're attractive with big titties and a massive following of voyeuristic rubes you'll make money shilling whatever garbage Moderne-Nouveau farm2table chic snake oil but otherwise lol.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's funny comparing the two chapo expanded universe pods on stitcher - blowback and time for my stories where the former seems well-researched and has a narrative thru-line on top of a bunch of factual stories about the war. time for my stories is just disconnected musings about tv shows.

the chapo guys are best when they're shooting the poo poo and making GBS threads on media figures. they're pretty bad at doing theory (matt's monologues on whatever he's been reading recently) and history (the two pod history of poppy bush)

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
shut up obama

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
globe emojis

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

LittleBlackCloud posted:

I already do this jokingly. I don't even care.

guess it's time we all get our facts straight about the soviet intervention in hungary in 1956

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
The Bush Sr eps are good imo

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

strange opinion of Inebriated History, but to each their own

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a Loving Dog posted:

shut up obama
this

also matts monologues and rantings on twitch are great

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i enjoyed them, it's always interesting to hear other people's views on reconstruction outside the few historians ive read

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah. these people are deeply embarsssing. full disclosure; when I was still a kool aid drinking liberal, so literally when I was in high school lmfao, I too believed this. I was basically like 'drat maybe dictatorships aren't horrible because people are just too dumb!!!!', completely ignoring the socioeconomic reasoning behind perceived suboptimal behavior, or the cultural reasons for it, etc. I grew out of it but it's obvious a lot of these spooks and political operatives in their 40s absolutely have not. I almost feel bad for them. It's a deeply depressing way to view the world, it's almost as bad as that Malthusian doomer poo poo the libs in this subforum get up to.

The Malthusian Doomers are right, lib

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

UP AND ADAM posted:

can't really be malthusian and a doomer op

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

UP AND ADAM posted:

Malthus was a lib and his philosophy is little more than an ideological justification for mass killing of "excess population"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tired: Malthusian

Wired: Malthusaiyan

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol i remember peak oil being a thing DnD was concerned about a decade ago

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
lol at being a Malthus defender in the Marxist subforum

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

can somebody post that link with all the pirated RSS feeds?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Malthusians are antediluvian creatures, the most ancient generations of the childre who largely sleep deep under our feet

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Trabisnikof posted:

Tired: Malthusian

Wired: Malthusaiyan

people powering up is heating up the planet.

at least now we know what chemtrails are.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
their gunsmoke episode was good and should have been the one they plugged in chapo and also Sorcerer rules.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
also lol apparently mandalorian tried some sort of sorcerer knockoff episode? man gently caress disney

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I was going to respond to the post about antifa people being dumb a lot of the time, but this basically sums things up much better. It's very easy to reframe a sentiment like "anti-fascism" in a way that is strictly partisan.

I've come around to believing that "anti-fascist" framing is generally really dumb and pointless and often a deliberate attempt to obfuscate. The thing that really matters in the end is "what is happening to people," and attempts to categorize something as "fascist" or "not fascist" are irrelevant to that. It doesn't make any sense to act like there's some fundamental and important difference between a self-identified fascist and someone who has other reasons for killing and immiserating millions of non-white people.

To put it another way, people talking about fascists often seems like the intent is more to categorize mainstream politics as not fascist. The point isn't to go after the Proud Boys or whatever; it's to make sure that people understand that mainstream institutions really aren't that bad!

From an actual leftist perspective, anti-fascism has to be understood as having a very limited horizon of possibility, in that it's never going to totally overcome fascism and all it can really do is suppress some of the most brutal aspects. This can still be a good and necessary thing, but people who make it the cornerstone of their politics are generally deluded, as you say, about the dynamics of the existing "mainstream" and its hand in creating fascism.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

sleeptalker posted:

From an actual leftist perspective, anti-fascism has to be understood as having a very limited horizon of possibility, in that it's never going to totally overcome fascism and all it can really do is suppress some of the most brutal aspects. This can still be a good and necessary thing, but people who make it the cornerstone of their politics are generally deluded, as you say, about the dynamics of the existing "mainstream" and its hand in creating fascism.

This certainly explains a guy I follow on twitter who talks about being antifa all the time while also posting about how we need to stand up to Chinese influence

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
a lot of people last year told on themselves by basically advocating for being under the thumb, some kind of fetish for authority

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

a lot of people last year told on themselves by basically advocating for being under the thumb, some kind of fetish for authority

yea. “yes it’s so awesome that the fbi and nsa ca. arrest people based on their phone metadata. what a win for democracy”

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Malthus was a lib and his philosophy is little more than an ideological justification for mass killing of "excess population"

Which is exactly why climate doomers aren't malthusians, they've already accepted the mass death and want the opposite. SJY unleashed this virus of calling everything malthusian upon us all, smdh generalizing the term to uselessness. u can just say they're dumb goons who can't express their ideas like children imo

Also, on the subject of huge libs, I was reading Andrew Jackson stuff and his letter to the cherokees was the most stone cold lib poo poo I have ever seen. Its crazy because he was both a whiter settler genocidal maniac and also completely sober on it being unstoppable lol, really weird guy.

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Mar 11, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shipon posted:

This certainly explains a guy I follow on twitter who talks about being antifa all the time while also posting about how we need to stand up to Chinese influence

If asked about the US, the way these people usually rationalize it is "I'm not saying the US good, but we're not talking about the US right now! We're talking about China/Russia/Syria!"

(coincidentally, it is never time to talk about the US unless the topic is fringe right-wing groups or strictly partisan)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Chiming in to say, hey, I'm 5'7 now, but I had a pretty dramatic growth spurt in middle school and was in the .01 percentile of height in grade school, and have never been particularly bulky:

There's a hell of a lot more that people who are short have to put up with than just "it sucks that shallow girls on dating apps immediately dismiss us". I'm in my mid fuckin' thirties, and still have people try to physically intimidate me all the time. Maybe not every day, but certainly every week or so. I've got to think it's way more common than it would be if I were a much larger, obviously threatening person.

Before my body finally filled out with a vague approximation of muscle mass, sometimes there'd be weirdly sexual aggression in some of the poo poo, too. Like, someone might lay hands on me in a bar, to show themselves as a/the man. Really, really, weird poo poo. The aggressive poo poo has never died down. When I was a child, simply being so much smaller got me physically abused continually, and even as an adult who is only somewhat smaller, I am more or less continually threatened, when dealing with strangers or anyone I have any semblance of a disagreement with. It would be nice to turn off the whole "constant fight or flight mentality" thing, but I guess that's just something to live with. Sucks to be me and/or the other guy the next time someone finally escalates. It will happen. It has happened.

But yeah, gently caress it, whatever. Height is the one thing that we don't seem to acknowledge inequity for.

im 6'2

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

whoa buddy, don’t want any trouble here. all your opinions are tacitly correct. you wanna gently caress my wife? no trouble pal

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Shipon posted:

Right, anti-fascism is about curtailing the political influence of fascists, and if you believe that's all that's necessary for good to triumph, you'll likely be similarly opposed to anything else that can be defined as political influence.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

im 5'12", almost 6 foot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Homeless Friend posted:

Also, on the subject of huge libs, I was reading Andrew Jackson stuff and his letter to the cherokees was the most stone cold lib poo poo I have ever seen. Its crazy because he was both a whiter settler genocidal maniac and also completely sober on it being unstoppable lol, really weird guy.

as a teen andrew jackson got his head bitched up by a british officer hard enough that it hosed him up for the rest of his life