Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

well if it's anything like absolver it'll be deep enough to drown in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
DFO seems rad as hell except I bounce right off because of all the KMMO stuff

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Dope

So Absolver was actually good? That's one of those games I got with Plus and have literally never played

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Flapjack Monty posted:

Dungeon Fighter Online is a side scrolling beat-em-up MMO with at least a dozen moves(usually more) for each class of character when levelled up, all of which can be activated by fighting game commands that can be customized.

There's also 14 different base characters with at least 4 different subclasses they can specialize in.

It's also a free to play MMO from South Korea, and if I just broke your heart, I'm sorry.

edit: Also it's not really deep, but there sure is a lot of it.

yeah I've played DFO and its probably the best 2d beat em up for depth, although the korean mmo blasting you with all the wild events and cosmetics you can purchase and stuff is a turn-off

Would like more of a normal "buy this game and own it" but otherwise DFO is indeed the game I've been playing when I want to play a beat em up.

Also, while you can do shortcuts for moves like down, down-forward, forward, punch, you can also just bind every move to a key and press that one button.

So it basically plays closer to Diablo than TMNT.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know if "planet coaster" is good I'm in the mood for a tycoony type thing

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Arzaac posted:

My first thought is Guardian Heroes, it's a Treasure beat em up/rpg. Every character is a different class and they've all got unique movesets with fighting game inputs and command lists.

I was interested in this until I realized it only ever came out on the Saturn and 360. Could've been fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

Dope

So Absolver was actually good? That's one of those games I got with Plus and have literally never played

Its fine. Deep doesnt mean great in all cases

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone know if "planet coaster" is good I'm in the mood for a tycoony type thing
It's a pretty good remake of Rollercoaster Tycoon pretty much.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A beatemup with too much complexity is just a CAG. The whole appeal of the genre is that you get a relatively simple set of abilities and the challenge comes from knowing how to utilize them against all different types of enemy configurations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
DFO is Still The Best

Relax Or DIE posted:

DFO seems rad as hell except I bounce right off because of all the KMMO stuff

It's like the least KMMO-y KMMO though, like there are a bunch of stereotypes I can think of regarding KMMOs that just do not apply to DFO

Zaphod42 posted:

Also, while you can do shortcuts for moves like down, down-forward, forward, punch, you can also just bind every move to a key and press that one button.

Yeah but relying on those shortcut keys alone isn't gonna be that helpful when you end up with more skills than you have hotkeys and you start having to figure out which skills you can best cancel out of or combo into to account for cooldown times and which skills you'll want to keep attached to button combos so you can make room for hotkey skills.

e: Other good beat em up rpgs: river city ransom series, the dungeons & dragons beat em ups

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Best beat em ups were the SNES Double Dragon games. Including Battletoads and Double Dragon. Worst was loving Altered Beast on the Genesis.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real hurthling! posted:

yakuza is the deepest beat em up

Yeah

Deeply terrible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah

Deeply terrible

Dont sign posts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah

Deeply terrible

Turn on your monitor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rarity posted:

Turn on your monitor

I turned it on, and I appear to be looking at this

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

DFO is Still The Best

It's like the least KMMO-y KMMO though, like there are a bunch of stereotypes I can think of regarding KMMOs that just do not apply to DFO

Yeah but relying on those shortcut keys alone isn't gonna be that helpful when you end up with more skills than you have hotkeys and you start having to figure out which skills you can best cancel out of or combo into to account for cooldown times and which skills you'll want to keep attached to button combos so you can make room for hotkey skills.

e: Other good beat em up rpgs: river city ransom series, the dungeons & dragons beat em ups

The other cool thing is that you can rebind those inputs to be whatever you want. If you wanna do complex inputs you can but you can easily rebind a bunch of them to be smash bros style commands too.

Honestly I might wanna play more DFO, I haven't touched it in forever

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I have expressed concerns in the past that it felt like the Atelier team really embraced the uh...enthusiastic fanart that Ryza generated and I was wondering if those sorts of things would manifest themselves in the game, and after watching some choice vtuber clips I can confirm that: yes they have

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is Atelier horny now?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

wishing all the gamers out there luck in the most dangerous game of all, teh roblox ipo

i was going to buy one of these but they were too expensive at the start. i only had 200 bucks to throw into stock market for fun and the main thing ive learned is that the whole game is pointless unless you have a shitload of IAP. i made like 10-20% of money on the stuff i picked but its not very much when you had like 10 bucks of something. also i think you get penalized for trying to get the money. i know im too poor and stupid to even play this game but puzzle & dragons had way better monsters and waifus

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

hatty posted:

Is Atelier horny now?

One of the brand new features that has been added to Atelier Ryza 2 is the rear end-Cam where Ryza crouches down to crawl through a cave opening and the camera gets RIGHT up in there

Go to Youtube and type Atelier Ryza Kiara and you will find it immediately

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Atelier talk, time for me to remind everyone that I only played atelier iris 2 and gray deserved to be in a better game and poe is just absolutely the worst most annoying party member in that game and everything related to him is terrible.

Does the series ever have anybody as annoying as poe in it again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

its okay, but its decidedly less of a business sim than something like rollercoaster tycoon or bullfrog's theme park, and more of a dream theme park construction set

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Does the series ever have anybody as annoying as poe in it again

No, honestly most Atelier characters are just kind of pleasant with one weird Fire-Emblem-like quirk to them. 80% of all conversations are about like, making snacks or something mundane.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

No, honestly most Atelier characters are just kind of pleasant with one weird Fire-Emblem-like quirk to them. 80% of all conversations are about like, making snacks or something mundane.

Okay.

God Poe was annoying.

...this just makes me want to go back and play the whole iris series out of spite though tbh

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay.

God Poe was annoying.

...this just makes me want to go back and play the whole iris series out of spite though tbh

I would recommend Mana Khemia as a good alternative if the game wasn't so easy, but god drat that game is so easy. Really lame when a game has a lot of mechanical depth to it but is so easy you can pretty much just ignore 90% of it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Hey no one ever talks about the Ninja Warriors SNES remake on Switch because it came out against River City Girls thanks to their deal with Limited Run pushing the date back but it's a super good beat-em-up on a single plane and I like it a lot and just wanted to mention it, late to the best-em-up discussion. Also they had to call it Ninja Saviors in the west because of the TV show.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I have expressed concerns in the past that it felt like the Atelier team really embraced the uh...enthusiastic fanart that Ryza generated and I was wondering if those sorts of things would manifest themselves in the game, and after watching some choice vtuber clips I can confirm that: yes they have

Not really, Ryza 2 is not particularly horny. I'm actually surprised you managed to get that impression. I guess maybe the CG that plays when you sleep?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've been playing Ryza 1 for the last two days and while all the characters show plenty of skin (male and female both) I wouldn't say it's a horny game. It has some very enthusiastic jiggle physics, but that's about as much as I've noticed ten hours or so into the game so far.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
honestly at this point it's so industry standard that having jiggle isn't a sign of horn, it's a sign of being a video game

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, which is why I don't really even count them here. It's fairly unobtrusive. The game is intensely anime, but it comes by its T rating honestly. This isn't a horndog game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The D&D arcade games, specifically Shadow over Mystara, is the best belt scroller/beat ‘em up in my book. Notable mentions are Aliens vs Predator, Battle Circuit, Dragon’s Crown, Guardian Heroes, and Ragnarok Offline. Those are games with a variety of weapons and moves, plus several have progression involved too with levels or purchasing upgrades

Does DFO have good controller support? I did play it some before it was on Steam and I remember mainly using the keyboard.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Scroll up, I posted about the specific scene I saw

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I got Loop Hero. It seems kind of neat but I don't know if it has its hooks in me yet? I can see that there's combos and stuff but otherwise it seems kind of straightforward, but not straightforward enough that I can put it in the "idle/incremental game" category which pushes a different set of buttons

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I got Loop Hero. It seems kind of neat but I don't know if it has its hooks in me yet? I can see that there's combos and stuff but otherwise it seems kind of straightforward, but not straightforward enough that I can put it in the "idle/incremental game" category which pushes a different set of buttons

There's a cadence to the game that is kind of tough to get a hold of and there's a ton of cool little small things to learn, but for me the biggest complaint was that I had trouble telling when the issue with progressing in the game was a skill issue or a metaprogression issue. Like, there's one set of tiles you basically need to beat the game and I see a lot of people trying their absolute damndest to beat the game without them and they just can't do it, so it sucks to see people playing the game who haven't unlocked it yet and you don't wanna tell them that hey actually you'll never win since you haven't unlocked the best item in the game yet

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
TIL Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was called Final Fantasy USA: Mystic Quest in Japan

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's even funnier when you look up why they call it that:

quote:

Square's executives cited the alleged difficulty of role-playing games as the reason Americans shied away from them, and eased the difficulty level by tweaking various aspects of the main series' gameplay.[3] The American release of Final Fantasy IV was altered to make the game simpler, for example. Mystic Quest was to take this one step further, and the Japanese developers worked with the American offices to make sure the game was accessible to children.[10]
Basically, Mystic Quest is Final Fantasy: Stupid Americans Edition.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Didn't Square skip localizing 5 because they thought it was too hard for western audiences?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The ironic thing is that in the NES era western games tended to be much harder than japanese games because the US had a robust video game rental industry and the easiest way to pad the length of an NES game (to make it not beatable in a single rental period) is to make it unreasonably difficult.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Also arcade games, which ran a greater profit the more often they killed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Meanwhile, while Square was worrying about Final Fantasy games being too hard for stupid Americans on the SNES, an Enix-published game around the same time called The 7th Saga was made harder for the North American release, to the point that it's one of the most notoriously difficult (to the point of being unfair) RPGs of the era.

I'd love to play a version with the original balance because that game has some really cool and unique ideas, but the difficulty is wildly overtuned in the North American version.