Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In the witcher 3, the nilfs have an invasion staging camp in the first map zone called "Army Group Center" so I always just assumed they were nazi stand-ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Which feels weird because isn't nilfgaard particularly hated by northerners because they're too tolerant of minorities?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

More like Milfgaard.

zoux posted:

No that's Serpentor.

"These long-dead genetic blueprints were combined to produce a clone with the genius of Napoleon, the ruthlessness of Julius Caesar, the daring of Hannibal, and the shrewdness of Attila the Hun, and the aggressiveness and impulsiveness of Sergeant Slaughter."

Who would you put in your Serpentor?
Subutai, Mordecai Aneliewicz, both Augustus AND Agrippa, and Pedro II.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Tulip posted:

Which feels weird because isn't nilfgaard particularly hated by northerners because they're too tolerant of minorities?

Tolerant of minorites compared to people fresh off some pogroms, but also organized and big on slavery. They're also total snobs who keep talking about how civilized they are.

They're clearly Roman.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

An invading army doesn't have to be literally racist nazis in order to be an uncomfortable presence to the locals they're conquering.

Nilfgaard doesn't really seem very Roman, and I don't know much about China's historical political structures, but just from playing the last game, it seems like Nilfgaard is characterized by having a very powerful nobility despite the existence of a powerful emperor who is busy staging invasions. Which kinda sounds like...Poland.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

Does the original mobile suit gundam count? Inherent silliness of mechs aside, the show's framing is a blend of boys' anime conventions and milhisty futurewar, depicting a groggy love of different MS production lines, technical specs, logistics and doctrine, etc etc.

I've been watching the first Gundam series lately, and I don't think it has any particular milhist relevance. I would characterize it more as "war is bad, and the schemers at the top cause a lot of suffering and death while pursuing their goals, but mostly war is bad." Core themes are the effects of war on civilians, PTSD, how the individual soldiers in your army and your enemy's army can be perfectly nice folks who are going to try to kill you tomorrow, and what happens to a teenager when you put him in charge of a high-tech war machine and he turns out to be really good at piloting it (hint: he gets a savior complex).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

No that's Serpentor.

"These long-dead genetic blueprints were combined to produce a clone with the genius of Napoleon, the ruthlessness of Julius Caesar, the daring of Hannibal, and the shrewdness of Attila the Hun, and the aggressiveness and impulsiveness of Sergeant Slaughter."

Julian, Justinian II, Fredrick II, Wang Mang, and Roman von Ungern-Sternberg.

Perfect combination of Rulthless ambition and total failure so Team Joe can always stay on top.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been watching the first Gundam series lately, and I don't think it has any particular milhist relevance. I would characterize it more as "war is bad, and the schemers at the top cause a lot of suffering and death while pursuing their goals, but mostly war is bad." Core themes are the effects of war on civilians, PTSD, how the individual soldiers in your army and your enemy's army can be perfectly nice folks who are going to try to kill you tomorrow, and what happens to a teenager when you put him in charge of a high-tech war machine and he turns out to be really good at piloting it (hint: he gets a savior complex).
Yeah the real Grognard poo poo comes in later with the kit manuals and extended works. Still interesting to see a Japanese person directly dealing with how they see the war and the post war though

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah the real Grognard poo poo comes in later with the kit manuals and extended works. Still interesting to see a Japanese person directly dealing with how they see the war and the post war though

Yeah, the model kits and various reference books on the histories and developments of the many different versions of the Zaku II or RGM-79 series read like something Ensign Expendable would post from their site about the T-34 or M4 Sherman.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Zeta Gundam is the best Gundam anyway

08th MS Team is probably the most Milhist thread Gundam series though

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Gaius Marius posted:

Julian, Justinian II, Fredrick II, Wang Mang, and Roman von Ungern-Sternberg.

Frederick II, Eugene of Savoy, Julius Caesar, Epaminondas and Baron von Steuben.

I don't know if he'll be a great general but he'll be absolutely iconic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Frederick II, Eugene of Savoy, Julius Caesar, Epaminondas and Baron von Steuben.

I don't know if he'll be a great general but he'll be absolutely iconic.

Eugene is Beautiful, Louis says you can't cut it as a general. How bout I kick your rear end for two decades, what a lad

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I seriously doubt it has anything, at all, to do with China or any influences from Chinse history. Or Rome, for that matter.

The author, Andrzej Sapkowski, is Polish (as is the game studio that developed his books into video games) and pretty much every single thing you see in there as far as the monsters etc is drawing off Eastern European mythology. I'd be amazed if his specific depiction of high fantasy medieval-ish times was anything but heavily influenced by Polish/Eastern European history and cultural stereotypes about that era, the same way that most Anglosphere sword and sorcery fiction is based on a highly stylized version of the English (and to a much lesser extent French and German) high middle ages with a heavy does of how that got sorted through 1000 years of intervening literature and cultural production.
At least in Witcher 3 the fashion, art, architecture, and to some extent the language all make the Nilfgaardians look like a pastiche of the Dutch Golden Age, albeit only cosmetically.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The nilfs are way into slaves so it fits.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gundam is relevant to milhist in as much as it is a major part of Japan's cultural opinions on war, both in its message and in how many works following it explored more of the themes of soldiers dealing with trauma from their service, and the echoing message of war being bad to the point that so many works will just end up with some kind of pacifist faction that ends up winning.

Of course, that also needs to be counterbalanced by also taking into account pro-war (or even pro-genocide) works like that one series about how modern Japan could totally win a war with a medieval fantasy kingdom ir Goblin Slayer. There's also a whole lot of works that don't really do much narrative philosophical criticism of the general concept of war while still having a lot of fun with military trappings in a way that more subtly encourages the "war is cool" perspective like Ghost in the Shell.

And then if you're really digging into things, anime and manga are only a part of the wider spectrum of japanese media, although that is a big way in which Japanese perspectives can influence the rest of the world.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SlothfulCobra posted:

Gundam is relevant to milhist in as much as it is a major part of Japan's cultural opinions on war, both in its message and in how many works following it explored more of the themes of soldiers dealing with trauma from their service, and the echoing message of war being bad to the point that so many works will just end up with some kind of pacifist faction that ends up winning.

Of course, that also needs to be counterbalanced by also taking into account pro-war (or even pro-genocide) works like that one series about how modern Japan could totally win a war with a medieval fantasy kingdom ir Goblin Slayer. There's also a whole lot of works that don't really do much narrative philosophical criticism of the general concept of war while still having a lot of fun with military trappings in a way that more subtly encourages the "war is cool" perspective like Ghost in the Shell.

And then if you're really digging into things, anime and manga are only a part of the wider spectrum of japanese media, although that is a big way in which Japanese perspectives can influence the rest of the world.

Okay so who wants to watch all of Gundam with me and discuss mech and robots for years?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Okay so who wants to watch all of Gundam with me and discuss mech and robots for years?
Finally a topic I'm confident I'm more knowledgeable in compared to the rest of the MilHist thread

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gaius Marius posted:

Finally a topic I'm confident I'm more knowledgeable in compared to the rest of the MilHist thread

Alas, late 1300s armor production came and went, and with it the things I sorta know.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'd like to mention that the children's anime series Gegege no Kitaro had a pretty good episode on how Japanese media depictions of the war tends to play into an idea of Japanese victimhood when they were the aggressors.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Haha I know right?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't forget to watch Patlabor!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Haha I know right?

I feel it man. I shoulda went to school. Oh well, at least I can see people post effortly about anysuch thing

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

wiegieman posted:

Alas, late 1300s armor production came and went, and with it the things I sorta know.

:justpost:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wiegieman posted:

Please tell me about late 1300s armor.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

xthetenth posted:

I don't know what this means

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't know what this means

It's an anime about Robocops, not like Captain Murphy, like cops who use robots to stop crime

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

And the second movie is a moody thing dwelling on militarism and Japan's relation with it in the context of their involvement in intervention in Cambodia that's cool as hell.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gaius Marius posted:

It's an anime about Robocops, not like Captain Murphy, like cops who use robots to stop crime

Are the crimes committed by criminals who use robots?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

xthetenth posted:

And the second movie is a moody thing dwelling on militarism and Japan's relation with it in the context of their involvement in intervention in Cambodia that's cool as hell.

It's beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

White Coke posted:

Are the crimes committed by criminals who use robots?

Drunks, Yakuza, the odd KGB Agent...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

zoux posted:

No that's Serpentor.

Oh yeah, I can see why you'd need to put Julius Caesar in there for ruthlessness, what with Attila the Hun being such a shrinking violet and all

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SlothfulCobra posted:

An invading army doesn't have to be literally racist nazis in order to be an uncomfortable presence to the locals they're conquering.

Nilfgaard doesn't really seem very Roman, and I don't know much about China's historical political structures, but just from playing the last game, it seems like Nilfgaard is characterized by having a very powerful nobility despite the existence of a powerful emperor who is busy staging invasions. Which kinda sounds like...Poland.

ah yes the notoriously empowered elected kings of the PLC

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To me they seemed to be a combination of Sweden, Medieval pre-Russia and parts of the PLC.

Being a fantasy creation and all they can be two things or more.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey what can you guys tell me medieval irish warfare before the English conquest? Was it particularly small scale? Did it involve way more people than you expected? Also did the Irish get mixed up in continental politics at all?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Can anybody explain to me why the USSR would create weapon systems that had a lot of overlap? Since EE's post on the T-62/T-64/T-72/T-80, I've been reading Rockets and People and the author also points out that when it came to missiles, the Soviets did the same thing, where the Americans basically settled on a ICBM/SLBM and just refined it. Boris Chertok, the author to Rockets and People has some interesting thoughts on why this happened with missiles. He writes that the Soviets were suprisingly slow in developing policy about nuclear war, and without leadership, it was the missile designers and their organizations that had the most influence. Maybe at some point he will mention the Military-Industrial complex in the USSR and its influence on ever greater military production, but he still has a few ideas, namely that there was this cycle going on where engineers would move into missile design, and then champion different innovations in an attempt to get their foot in the door to what's one of the most prestigious fields. And these people soon get allies in government and in the military. Chertok describes the post R-16 development as "the missile civil war", with at least four different organizations trying to get their latest missile developed, backed by their local party bosses and with their own supporters inside the military.

This reaches its apex, I think, when somehow the Typhoon class submarine ended up with its own, entirely bespoke SLBM design

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That doesn't go far enough IMO. Each warhead should be an original hand-crafted piece with no designs ever reused.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Lone Badger posted:

That doesn't go far enough IMO. Each warhead should be an original hand-crafted piece with no designs ever reused.

Can I just mention that while America had 1.5 reloads per launch tube submarine, the Soviets built 7

So in a class of 7 planned Typhoons = 20x missile launch tubes each, 140 tubes total, that's 980 SS-N-20 missiles to build. Oh, it has a MIRV warhead, 10 warheads each missile, so that's 9,800 warheads

Which if built by itself would be more nuclear bombs than both Russia and the USA theoretically have today

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SeanBeansShako posted:

Drunks, Yakuza, the odd KGB Agent...

So they fight human crimes? Or are there KGBots?

The Lone Badger posted:

Come on, they aren't Nazis.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm thinking more guilds. To become a senior engineer you have to hand-turn a nuke according to your own drawings, and present it for examination by the gathered masters.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

xthetenth posted:

Armor Hunter Mellowlink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

White Coke posted:

So they fight human crimes? Or are there KGBots?

They fight idiots who hijack giant robots and assume having a giant robot is the only thing you get is the one step to profit. Also, hunger and the general irritation of the public.

It's more of a 'what is the regional cops have access to giant robots but are still sort of tired midlly annoyed cops doing day to day' than 'HOLY poo poo THESE COMMANDO ELITE GOT TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM EXPLODING' sort of deal, well except oddly enough that movie already mentioned.

It's like Police Academy too in some ways, but it actually makes effort.

SerCypher posted:

Armor Hunter Mellowlink!

Metal Gear Boss Fight; The Anime.

Just imagine a Gruff Snake type using his brains and little resources to murder assholes with giant robots without a giant robot.