Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Update 15: Shoot Like Crazy!

The Oblitzerator (:rolleyes:) here is another trick boss, albeit one with a laughably obvious weakness. Its standard attack hits the entire party at random eight times for modest total damage, but it doesn’t have formidable defenses and it has the same Thunder weakness as any other machine. The real threat comes after you try to attack it; it automatically follows up physical attacks by Blinding the attacker (severely dropping their accuracy) and magic attacks by Silencing them (preventing them from using spells). The latter applies to Kimahri’s Lancet, by the way, so no getting around through that. I tried. It’s theoretically possible to smash your way through the fight by blowing a bunch of recovery items on your party, but that’s just wasteful…

… Because Tidus spoils the gimmick for you before anyone takes a turn. It may Silence characters that use magic on IT, but it ignores spells cast on anything else. Basically, you have Kimahri and Tidus tool around for 3 turns while Lulu zaps the crane over and over again, eventually powering it up enough for you to use it. When that happens…

… Well, the fight may as well be over. It loses the vast majority of its health and can no longer take offensive action. At this point you just bop it until it goes down.

… So, any ideas on how to get that door open –

A man stumbles out past her and collapses against the bulkhead.

Thank goodness you’re here!

Al Bhed Captor: <Why did she have to use her rod ball on my rod and balls>...

A little. I’m glad you got here in time, though. I was worried I would have to summon Valefor and damage the ship.

Hey, do you understand me?

Al Bhed Captor: <Pain big, not talk please..>

Tidus, what are you doing?

I wonder if they’re all gone.

Gone where?

We ran into Sin.

Oh. Was… Was there anyone called Cid on that ship?

Not sure, I didn’t get many names. Except for Rikku. That was the name of their leader, I think. Who’s that?

He’s my uncle –

Yuna!

:doh:

So that means you’re Al Bhed, too, Yuna? Neat.

On my mother’s side, yes. My mother told me to seek him out if I needed help. I hope he wasn’t on that ship.

Don’t tell Wakka about Yuna’s lineage. The thing about Wakka – he never had much love for the Al Bhed. We don’t know how he’d react.

Do you really think he’d – wait, the match!

Of course.

Lulu reaches down and conjures something shiny.

Wakka perks up and gets to work.

He grabs the ball, flips over one of the defenses…

And scores a goal at the last possible second.

We won!

We did it! We’re in the finals!

Not the most…graceful win. If it was Chappu, he’d still be standing.

…You really don’t like Wakka, do you?

:yikes:

Excuse me?

You never stop comparing them, I guess, and Wakka always comes up short. Look: I don’t think Wakka would ever try to take Chappu’s pl–

You don’t want to finish that sentence.

That coulda gone better… We won, though. Good job, ya?

The Aurochs: :ohdear:

Letty: The game starts in a few minutes. You sure you good to go?

I’m gonna have to – Yuna!

Don’t go near Al Bhed any more, okay? They’re trouble.

Tidus. The game starts soon. No time for warm-ups. Ready?

Lemme at ’em.

All right!

After this game… I’m retiring. I promised myself this would be my last tournament. Win or lose, I’m quitting blitzball. But you know…

Aurochs: Yeah!

Botta: A-Am I on the bench?

You ready to go, bruddah?

Definitely.

All right, boys, let’s win this one! Let’s make the Goers goners!

Let’s blitz!

Aurochs: Hooah!

The rest of the team marches off.

… Wakka.

Aurochs: Win!

Botta: For Cap’n Wakka!

Bobba: In just a few minutes, the championship game!

Bobba: But who could have imagined…

Bobba: Our legendary Luca Goers going against… the horrendously ill-fated Besaid Aurochs!

He takes a sudden swing at Tidus and poses for the camera.

Bobba: They’re already going at it, folks! The Goers are taunting the Aurochs!

:jerkbag:

Bobba: But I think we’ve kept the fans waiting long enough!

Bobba/Jimma: Let’s blitz!

37-Blitz Off-FFX OST

Now, finally, after all that buildup, we get to play our first game of blitzball. You are not supposed to win this match. The Aurochs, as it happens, really do suck; they aren’t completely awful, most of them have at least one stat they can make use of, but the Goers completely outstrip them. The only exception is, of course, Tidus, who makes up for his EN and bonkers SH by being unable to steal a ball or make a pass. Fortunately, the Goers’ AI is pretty mediocre – more than once players with a clear shot at my goal opted to pass the ball back to less capable players in the middle of the rest of my team – but your team’s AI isn’t any better and your intervention can only go so far. It’s theoretically possible to score some goals and pull ahead in the first round, but doing so boils down to sheer luck.

Oh please.

If you want to pull this match off, your best bet is to exploit the leveling mechanics. Every action a player takes gets them a little bit of experience, and leveling up boosts a player’s stats and possibly gives them access to Techniques. The rest of the Aurochs suck so hard that it doesn’t matter how much you level them up in this match, but you need Tidus to reach level 3 by the end of the first round (basically have him pass the ball back and forth with any nearby players and hope none of them get swarmed badly enough to lose the ball to one of the Goer forwards).

The game doesn’t bother letting you rearrange your formation or select anybody’s Techniques the first time around, partly because Tidus can’t equip any of his Techniques at level one and no one else has any, partly because I guess the devs just didn’t care. But if you get Tidus up to level three – which is actually pretty easy as long as you make sure to focus on him – you can give him the Jecht Shot just in time for the next round.

Aurochs: Cap’n!

Datto: Goers are goin’ down!

What about me?

Get the ball and just shoot like crazy!

All right! Hustle!

:smug:

If you plan on winning the match, the first three minutes of the second round is where you do it. With the Jecht Shot equipped, Tidus has enough firepower to go around the side and charge the goal – especially if you take care to target Abus and tackle your way through him before he teams up with the defense, as his ATK is absolute garbage. After you used it once, though, Tidus is basically useless for the rest of the match. It knocks off so much of his HP that he can barely hope to catch the ball and get off another shot; your best served by just playing defense and trying to keep the ball away from the other team until you hit 3:00 on the clock.

Bobba: Everyone seems to be calling for Wakka, folks!

Wait, Tidus?

Bobba: Say…Where is that player going?

Tidus, what are you doing?

(It really was the Aurochs’ and Wakka’s show, after all.)

No, Tidus, please.

Bobba: The Aurochs seem glad to have him back.

Nooooooo :negative:

As it turns out, Wakka is actually really good; his stats are at least on par with most of the Goers and he has a Technique to boost his viability even further. If you need to score a second goal because they got past you earlier, he’s the guy to do it, but he just isn’t as good on offense as Tidus is. If we had them both, this team would be viable, but replacing one with the other doesn’t help us much. Once again, your best bet is playing keep-away. If you’re lucky, you’ll manage to wait out the clock and win the match.

It took me four tries to pull off a victory, and I had to sit through four minutes of unskippable cutscene each time (I timed it). Of my three failures, I think I'd only attribute the first to my own mistake; I managed to take a detour at the exact wrong moment and basically hand off the ball to one of their forwards at the absolute worst moment. The second time I ragequit because the three-minute mark cut off Tidus at the exact moment he delivered his Jecht Shot (the timer doesn’t stop during shots or passes), and the third time one of their forwards got a cheap shot in on Wakka and shot a goal at the last moment, forced the game into overtime because it won’t let you tie, then just punched through my defenses as I watched in dismay. I must’ve spent at least half an hour getting this all worked out. My reward?

Strength Spheres, like other (stat) Spheres, can be dropped into any open slot in the Sphere Grid and activated like any other node; since every little bit helps, placing this thing at a strategic juncture this early on can substantially boost a character’s damage potential. It’s nice, but it really wasn’t worth all the frustration. All you get is this thing and some altered dialogue later on. That’s it, for all that trouble. Between the basic difficulty of the match, how easily random chance can screw you, how frustrating it is to retry it, and how disappointing it feels for the narrative to spend the last few hours gradually building your victory up only for you to gently caress it up at the last moment, it’s like the devs were trying to poison the well for anyone who wasn’t immediately captured by the game’s mechanics :sigh:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pity the reward is so underwhelming for how hard that was! Still, at least there’s some good character moments in there.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah hamstringing you by not letting you use your shiny new Jecht Shot toy right out of the gate and then stopping play for absolutely no justifiable reason to bring Wakka in and not taking one of the other players off the field. Seriously, there are no time outs in the game. No medical time outs, no penalties to stop the clock, nothing. And Tidus can take a shot (even a regular one) and have fly past the goalie but not into the goal and the clock stops. Your intro to blitzball.

Also despite all these hard numbers of Pass-block or Attack- endurance factoring into your stuff? Nah, there's variance in that. I think its ±50% of the stat? So get a bad roll on your part and a good roll on the opponent means even more infuriating fun when they pull off some poo poo and are powerless to stop it. This intro match was the reason why I did not engage in the minigame at ALL on my first playthrough.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, Jecht Shot really takes a LOT out of Tidus early on.

But, if you really get into the Blitzball minigame as it opens up, the HP cost becomes a lot less painful due to rising HP stats, giving Tidus the staying power to REALLY turn Jecht Shot into the hilariously OP silliness that it is. I remember Letty and Datto both being at least passable forwards - For a brief while, I wanted to try to accomplish stuff with the Original Aurochs, but I gave up on that after a bit. But Letty was at least a passable Center, with a good Pass score to get the ball to either Datto or Tidus, and while it's not great, Datto at least has the second-best Shooting score on the team if we only count one of Wakka/Tidus.

As an aside, Wakka and Tidus have *very* similar starting stats - Wakka has more HP and one more point of endurance (which could be attributed to starting at level 3 instead of 2), but as a consolation for not having access to Tidus' shooting techniques, Wakka's Shooting score is 3 points higher than Tidus. Beyond that, their starting stats are the same - the two are equally bad at passing, attacking, or blocking. Like Wakka says - get the ball and shoot like crazy! It's... basically all they're good for.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'd have to double check the tables to confirm but I have a vague recollection of the whole joke with the Aurochs being that they're poo poo and level like poo poo until the tail end of the curve at which point they just hulk out and become stupid good, or something. I remember Keepa secretly being one of the best keepers in the game.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Fedule posted:

I'd have to double check the tables to confirm but I have a vague recollection of the whole joke with the Aurochs being that they're poo poo and level like poo poo until the tail end of the curve at which point they just hulk out and become stupid good, or something. I remember Keepa secretly being one of the best keepers in the game.

*pulls out FFX strategy guide*

Keepa, hilariously, gets a SH stat of 99. At level 99. It just rockets up after level 70. That's better than Tidus at 99.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

This feels a lot like they decided to make your introduction to Blitzball as unsatisfying and frustrating and lovely as possible. Almost like they resented every second they worked on it and by god they will make you resent it too.

There are ways they could've bullshitted around this and eased you into it, but nope, into the deep end you go with this pack of losers against the top flight mega elite team. I have no idea what they were trying to do here.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
which is why for the first time, just score, get possession and then swim behind your goalie and stay there. the broken AI doesn't chase you and you can cheese a 1-0 win.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

When I played through this bit, I eventually managed to get Tidus into a position to use the Jecht Shot - immediately before he decided to switch out for Wakka. :negative: I'm sure there's a way they could've made this first impression worse, but I certainly can't think of one.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

stab posted:

which is why for the first time, just score, get possession and then swim behind your goalie and stay there. the broken AI doesn't chase you and you can cheese a 1-0 win.

Had I known this I would have put it in the update :negative:

Quantum Toast posted:

When I played through this bit, I eventually managed to get Tidus into a position to use the Jecht Shot - immediately before he decided to switch out for Wakka. :negative: I'm sure there's a way they could've made this first impression worse, but I certainly can't think of one.

I caught a screenshot of Tidus going through the spinning part of the Jecht Shot animation as the timer hit 3:00 and the screen unceremoniously faded to black. I didn’t include it because I didn’t want to have to look at it.

Fedule posted:

IIRC the Goers do the opposite, suddenly plunging into the toilet in the last few dozen levels. It would be a neat gimmick if anyone was in a position to care.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

And the Al-Bhed Psyches are reportedly so consistantly good that the Goers should never have been in the running at all.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Are you saying that fantasy sportsball is poorly thought out?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Victory, huh?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

MightyPretenders posted:

And the Al-Bhed Psyches are reportedly so consistantly good that the Goers should never have been in the running at all.

The keeper for the Psyches is absurdly good, and their forwards are solid enough to have decent odds. I guess it's meant to be balanced by them not having that high endurance but they're fast enough it doesn't come up enough.

I never noticed until the remaster (which upscales the textures) that this wall writing is actually in plain English and doesn't match the subtitle. The actual message from Wakka is "To the dreams of my childhood, farewell."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Falconier111 posted:

Wait, I see this “X-2” thing up there. Is that the one where you dress up your party like –

That was FFX’s direct sequel. It got a huge amount of backlash for a variety of reasons, most of which, looking back, were kind of stupid. I remember it being… All right, not as awful as people said it was, but just not my thing. The story I have in mind doesn’t really fit that game’s plot and I never liked the combat, so barring exceptional circumstances I probably won’t be running through it.

X-2 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it was pretty dumb. The plot is really silly and the 100% stuff is just a headache and a half.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Fedule posted:

As already mentioned, Keepa gets the highest SH score in the game for some godforsaken reason if you max out levels. Datto ends up as the third-fastest swimmer in the game. The others don't have anything particularly special about them, but Jassu in particular starts out mediocre and only gets worse from there.

There's another team however, the Kilika Beasts. They are the true Magikarp Team - their stats are overall lower than even the Aurochs', but most of them turn out to be some of the best players in the game at high levels. Their two Forwards become the two best forwards in the game, hands down, if we ignore Tidus getting the massive advantage that is the Jecht Shot.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

X-2 wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it was pretty dumb. The plot is really silly and the 100% stuff is just a headache and a half.

But how are the outfits?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Quackles posted:

But how are the outfits?

Quite cool and varied, actually. Better than the ones in this game. Some are skimpy, but far from all of them.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Spira needs a nice, low-key Old Navy

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
X-2 was excellent and I'm not just saying that because it was the first FF I've played.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Three updates about blitzball and the thread is 40% longer :allears:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Quite cool and varied, actually. Better than the ones in this game. Some are skimpy, but far from all of them.

I looked the dresspheres up to see if I what kind of jokes I could make with them only to find most of them cover more than this game’s standard outfits, and I doubt the camera’s any pervier in the sequel. Seriously, I have like two dozen screenshots back on the Al Bhed ship I don’t want to use because the camera hugged Rikku’s rear end even tighter than her outfit did. Maybe people forgot about that element between games :shrug:?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2021

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

bewilderment posted:

The keeper for the Psyches is absurdly good, and their forwards are solid enough to have decent odds. I guess it's meant to be balanced by them not having that high endurance but they're fast enough it doesn't come up enough.

I never noticed until the remaster (which upscales the textures) that this wall writing is actually in plain English and doesn't match the subtitle. The actual message from Wakka is "To the dreams of my childhood, farewell."

This is cool. A level of eloquence and poetic language that wakka is totally incapable of

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Something that I thought gets glossed over is that there's a lot of combat banter in this game; mostly related to characters using abilities for the first time or certain events in the plot. (Three of the abilities prompt a line from Tidus whenever he uses them.)

My personal favorite:

Swapping Tidus in after Wakka calls him a newbie posted:

TIDUS: "Newbie" here!

WAKKA: Sorry...

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 16: Don’t Forget To Smile

Cheers echo through the arena, even underwater.

Those cheers turn to screams.

Now that these pricks have decided to crash the party, we finally get the opportunity to have a look at Wakka’s Overdrive.

It’s a slot machine.

Sorry for not catching a good image (I was too busy trying to work it), but you aren’t missing much. You just try to play the slots and get them to line up right: different versions of it have different results you can get. The first just gives you a formidable elemental attack that really isn’t anything flashy.

Anyway, we have to cut our way through a few waves of Sahagins before we reach the edge of the pool.

Screams and roars echo through the arena as people dash back and forth.

And once again, we have control of our old friend Auron. As formidable as this thing might look, it takes him one hit to down it before he :clint:s his way further into the arena.

Is that –

Sir Auron!

It’s Auron – wait, you know him?

Yeah. Best guardian there ever was.

Both of you! To me!

Garudas were a serious threat earlier on, the sort of thing that you might need Yuna for. Now? Have Wakka Blind it, Haste Auron to make him attack as quickly as the rest of the party (he’s slow as balls), and watch this thing go down in a couple turns.

Finally, something that vaguely resembles a real fight! Okay, first things first we have Wakka hit the Garuda with Blind while Tidus and Auron take their respective –

Oh?

Oh.

Oh :stare:.

Every time its exposed eye flashes, it screeches, its head jerks back, and another fiend explodes.

In a matter of seconds the entire arena goes quiet…

… And it sinks back into the ground.

Yuna needs me with her now.

Aurochs: :cry:

Come on, look sharp! The blitz season just started. Don’t make those faces, ya?

Aurochs: Cap’n…

I can’t hear you!

Are you sure?

I’ve been thinking it’s time to move on for a while. I need to get up and do something new, ya? And there’s nothing I’d like better than helping you out. From now on, I’m your full-time guardian.

Hey. It’s good to be back, ya? So, did anybody figure out what happened back in the arena?

Not really. We don’t know where the fiends came from. Maester Mika is safe and sound, thanks to Maester Seymour.

Did you hear anything about Maester Seymour’s aeon? I’ve never seen anything like it!

I haven’t. I think you’re more likely to know about obscure aeons than I am, Yuna.

Maybe. But it was so powerful, though…

38-Auron's Theme-FFX OST

Gettin’ swallowed by Sin! Ending up here in Spira!

Auron just stares at Tidus, then starts to laugh harder and harder.

Dammit! You just… You just showed up out of the goddamn blue 10 years ago and suddenly everybody seems to know who you are, and then everybody here knows you too?... Who are you?

You knew my old man, didn’t you?

Yes.

And you also knew Yuna’s father?

That’s correct.

I’m begging you, give me more than that.

Jecht, Braska and I… Together we defeated Sin ten years ago. Then I went to Zanarkand… where I watched over you.

… You helped raise me after mom died. Was that just, like, a mission?

Do you really think it was?

I’m going through an existential crisis here, man, give me SOMETHING.

Jecht asked me to. Look after you, I mean.

Do you… Do you know if he still alive?

It depends on what you mean by “alive.” He is no longer human. But…

No. No way. There’s no way that’s true.

… Of loving course he is! He couldn’t settle for being the biggest rear end in a top hat in Zanarkand, he had to go for broke! Holy poo poo. So, now that you’ve laid that on me, what the gently caress am I supposed to even do with it?

Come with me. I’m going to offer my services to Yuna.

And if I say no?

Every story must have an ending.

Oh sure, more of your “story” bullshit. That’s gonna help.

Sorry you feel that way. Come or don’t come. It’s your decision.

It’s my –

Irritating, I know. Or are you afraid?

… Yes. I’m really scared. Will I ever go home? Back to Zanarkand?

Auron puts his hand on Tidus’s shoulder.

Perhaps. That’s up to Jecht.

At this point Auron wanders off and leaves Tidus to wander through town one last time. The Strength Sphere was nice, but the real reward is the contextual dialogue; just about everybody has something different to say, and if you won the match you’ve become the talk of the town.

Old lady: You guys just got lucky! The Goers will take the cup next year!

Woman on Bench: I was really surprised by the sudden fiend attack, but you know what shocked me the most?

Girl on Bench: Oh, the Aurochs winning the tournament, right? Yeah, I still can’t believe it.

Cameraman: Hey, congratulations! I got everything on sphere. Never in my wildest dreams did I think the Besaid Aurochs would win the cup.

Jassu: Still can’t believe we won, man… Have to keep pinching myself.

Man At Stadium End: The Aurochs won the tournament. It must be some kind of mistake.

Woman At Stadium End: I agree! The authorities should drop the fiend investigation and look into this first!

:laugh:

I hope not.

Sir Auron knows him, apparently. You were right. He did meet someone he knew.

Do you think he’ll find a way back to Zanarkand?

In any case, I’ll miss having him around.

Maybe I should go talk to him – o-oh!

Yuna.

Sir?

I wish to become your guardian. Do you accept?

:aaaaa:

You’re serious?

Do you refuse?

No, no! We accept! Right, everyone?

O-Of course! No problem at all!

But…why?

I promised Braska.

Yeah, I’m coming along. Nothing much around here for me anyway. If you want me to, of course.

I’m honored to accept you both.

They all bow to each other with varying degrees of awkwardness.

…Hey, watch!

Hey, you got pretty good.

You sound sad.

Yeah.

…Wanna scream?

Nnnnot gonna help this time.

… Summoners and their guardians are kind of like Spira’s ray of light. A lot of people in Spira depend on us.

Part of our duty as summoner and guardian is to keep up Spira’s hopes. I had to teach myself how to smile even when I wasn’t happy, and sometimes, even pretending to be happy helps a little.

Is that supposed to help me? Because it really doesn’t.

Your first order as my guardian is to smile!

… Seriously?

Smile!

I’m the daughter of the High Summoner and you’re a blitzball player from Zanarkand, there’s nothing normal about us!

Bringing it back around, huh? All right.

He smiles a little more genuinely.

Great! Now laugh!

Excuse me?

Do it!

HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH! HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

You probably shouldn’t laugh any more.

He glances back at her.

HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH! HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

This time, the laughter is genuine, if a little hysterical.

I want my journey to be full of laughter like that.

The first kind or the second kind?

The second kind!

Okay. I got your back with that.

They smile shyly at each other.

If we should get separated, just whistle.

Gotcha.

:)

Not yet! Now, we go to the temple at Djose.

Oh Yevon, we have another one.

I hate this scene, but not for the reasons you’re expecting. The scene is infamous, so much so that other games that reference FFX often go to it first; it’s held up as the epitome of the game’s terrible voice acting and the flaws in its script every time somebody wants to bring those up. The knife in the wound? It isn’t actually bad! Yes, the premise is pretty silly and the voice acting isn’t astonishing, but it’s a genuinely sweet scene that helps build their relationship in ways that won’t pay off until much later. But it’s an easy target, so over the years more and more people have fixated on it until it’s eclipsed the rest of the game. It makes me sad, you know?

But we don’t have time for sadness.

With that scene, we’re done with Luca.

Now, the game finally, genuinely opens up.

It’s time to take the high road.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 30, 2021

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, a lot of people who make fun of that scene seem to have either missed, or deliberately ignore the context that said laughter is meant to sound like that. It's forced laughter that is meant to sound stupid and awkward, even in-setting. That's why he's doing it like that, and why him and Yuna fall over genuinely laughing afterward.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah. :3:

Honestly it's the uh underwater jpop scene later that I couldn't stand, this one works as intended.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, a lot of people who make fun of that scene seem to have either missed, or deliberately ignore the context that said laughter is meant to sound like that. It's forced laughter that is meant to sound stupid and awkward, even in-setting. That's why he's doing it like that, and why him and Yuna fall over genuinely laughing afterward.

James Arnold Taylor even showed the script for this scene on YouTube; it really is written "TIDUS: Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha" and "TIDUS and YUNA: Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha" in it. (Another video has him saying "It's SUPPOSED to sound like that. Get over yourselves.")

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

This was one of the three main spoilers that trolls would come into the Final Fantasy Online IRC chat and spam after X came out. If you hadn't gotten to this point yet, it all sounded too far-fetched, and if you had, but hadn't gotten to the other two points, the other two still sounded too far-fetched, so it was real easy to just dismiss them all for the newbies' sake with "It's just a dumb rumor."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So this is the infamous TidusLaugh.mp4 scene? Cool

Is the Tidus-Auron dialog legit from the game? I'm surprised Tidus knows what an Existential Crisis even is

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So this is the infamous TidusLaugh.mp4 scene? Cool

Is the Tidus-Auron dialog legit from the game? I'm surprised Tidus knows what an Existential Crisis even is

All but one of Auron’s lines in that scene are from the game, but most of Tidus’s lines are rewritten. He’s way more incoherent and slower to accept things in the original, but he really does go through an existential crisis there.

Also, Tidus may be a jock, but he’s not dumb. After all, you need a GPA of AT LEAST 2.0 to stay on ZMU’s blitzball team :v:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The laughter scene is a mood.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dareon posted:

This was one of the three main spoilers that trolls would come into the Final Fantasy Online IRC chat and spam after X came out. If you hadn't gotten to this point yet, it all sounded too far-fetched, and if you had, but hadn't gotten to the other two points, the other two still sounded too far-fetched, so it was real easy to just dismiss them all for the newbies' sake with "It's just a dumb rumor."

What's amazing though is this spoiler comes so early. I've always liked FFX's story since it's so straightforward and coherent compared to most modern FF games, and this is a nice example. They actually give you a big info bomb to chew on early on, instead of building up to all these crazy twists and reveals getting dumped on you right near the end to try and hurriedly explain everything.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

What's amazing though is this spoiler comes so early. I've always liked FFX's story since it's so straightforward and coherent compared to most modern FF games, and this is a nice example. They actually give you a big info bomb to chew on early on, instead of building up to all these crazy twists and reveals getting dumped on you right near the end to try and hurriedly explain everything.

Yeah you get to spend the whole game thinking about HOW the big twist could work out, instead of wondering when it'll hit you, it's pretty good.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah you get to spend the whole game thinking about HOW the big twist could work out, instead of wondering when it'll hit you, it's pretty good.

I will have more to say about this later. GOD will I have more to say about this later. But I stand by my belief that FFX has some of the best plotting of any video game I’ve ever played. As flawed as the writing can be, the underlying plot structure is a work of art that can support the weaker parts of the script and makes the stronger parts land hard.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Falconier111 posted:

I will have more to say about this later. GOD will I have more to say about this later. But I stand by my belief that FFX has some of the best plotting of any video game I’ve ever played. As flawed as the writing can be, the underlying plot structure is a work of art that can support the weaker parts of the script and makes the stronger parts land hard.

This.

Somebody try to explain the plot of the FF13 arc. I played through the series more than once and I STILL don't know what's going on.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Falconier111 posted:

On reflection, yeah, there were never any plot notes that just came completely out of left field. Even the huge one you could see building up and grasp at least moments before they actually said it, and often quite earlier.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I don't like this scene because when you're feeling upset or pissed off or whatever else the most infuriating thing in the universe is some fucker telling you to smile. How about no, now gently caress off and let me feel my feelings in peace.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

stab posted:

Somebody try to explain the plot of the FF13 arc. I played through the series more than once and I STILL don't know what's going on.

FF13 - 1: yeah I got nothing. What I think I've got is that the story is a convoluted suicide by L'cie plot by Cocoon because daddy* isn't around anymore. It would even have worked because the party is a gaggle of complete gently caress-up morons, if Etro, the goddess of death and time, didn't do a direct divine intervention at the end (it's when all the party has gone Cie'th and then suddenly they aren't anymore).
*capital G God.
Don't ask for more details. I'm not really sure about this general outline.

FF13 - 2
: Remember how Etro had to intervene? Guess what, she's also a massive gently caress-up and she broke time with her intervention, so Serah and new main character Noel have to do a buddy time cops adventure across eras. (Adventures not actually buddy time cops themed).

The kicker? All the plot is basically pointless because the main villain wants to kill Etro for reasons (mildly decent ones to be fair) and has set up things so that if Noel kills him, Etro dies too. After the final fight, you can choose between "kill him" and "don't". If you pick the second choice, Caius (the villain) simply kills himself so what was the loving point of the game if you could simply do that you rear end in a top hat?
Then Serah dies for reasons I don't completely understand, because gently caress Snow I guess.
(Second kicker: Caius is still alive after the ending)

Valkyrie Profile 13 - 3 Lightning Returns
: Killing the goddess of death and time didn't fix time, but broke death instead. Nobody's dying anymore (after Serah), and at the start of the game there's like a week to the world simply ending. Luckily, daddy's* back and he's going to save the people of the world. Or at least their souls.
*capital G God

He forcibly enlists Lightning's aid in recovering as many souls as possible during the remaining week, with a side mission of also recovering some time to delay the end by some extra days. Cue various subplots about Lightning going around what's left of the world saving souls, sometimes by punching Snow in the face.

Plot twist, God is evil. Who could have seen it coming? To be fair, the writing starts really unsubtle on this by day one and Lightning gets this by like the second major plot thread resolved. So Lightning kills god in the endgame and saves the world herself. By dumping them on France, Earth.
That last one isn't a joke.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well that makes even less sense than Kingdom Hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

A little bit more detail for 13-1
God made a bunch of demigod robots that are programmed with a vague free will completely hobbled by their programming to do everything in service of humans, so there's a food demigod, a sewer level demigod, and a matroiska demigod of super demigod, vatican city demigod and Pope demigod the pope demigod becomes the main villain after kill stealing The Baroness in front of the party.

So demigods hate their lives and want to die but can't. But they can tag people to do their bidding, which CAN indirectly kill them.

There's also a fake war between the surface people and their demigods and the floating orb and their demigods but surprise they're totes friends and we're just using the war as a premise to kill themselves. The surface demigods came close to succeeding but something hosed up and the surface jerks just decided "if we tag everyone to do our bidding, win or lose they go away and without humans to serve we can take a vacation.". So the surface jerks tell their people to do dumb 100% arbitrary or impossible bullshit and crystalize the ones that succeed or zombify the ones who don't, either way not human anymore so not our problem bye.