Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Portal advice - when you start exploring keep a single unconnected portal in your main base at all times with a pre-set emergency tag so that you can always build a portal in the wild and jump back home. And keep portal mats in your ship's cargo bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Gadzuko posted:

Portal advice - when you start exploring keep a single unconnected portal in your main base at all times with a pre-set emergency tag so that you can always build a portal in the wild and jump back home. And keep portal mats in your ship's cargo bay.

For that matter keep two:. One with the pre-set tag for if you have time and one blank. Two portals without tags will connect. So now you've got an oh poo poo portal for when you just need to slap one down, tag, and run and a second one as a OH poo poo that you can just slap down and run through.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Saxophone posted:

Two portals without tags will connect.
This sounds unintended and very useful.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

If you're quick enough, it could potentially act as like a town portal scroll.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Maera Sior posted:

I mean " " == " " it makes sense

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
hot drat, theres a serpent not far from the castle we're building. i might just farm this thing instead of carrots/turnips. gotta think about building a funny trap to drag it into

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just be aware that because there's a spawn point doesn't mean it will always be there. There's one near our main base and after about six back and forth sailing missions I've seen it three times.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

I mean " " == " " it makes sense

Exactly. Working as coded, just not as intended.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was thinking of making a base in the plains, I'm concerned about deathsquitos just spawning while everyone is hanging around at camp with their armor off and not eating any food and getting instantly killed over and over by those loving things.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Two solutions off the top of my head.

1: build it in the top of a stone spire
2: make the wall around your base consist solely of bonfires

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Leal posted:

I was thinking of making a base in the plains, I'm concerned about deathsquitos just spawning while everyone is hanging around at camp with their armor off and not eating any food and getting instantly killed over and over by those loving things.

I'm not exactly sure of the mechanics, but setting up a base seems to prevent enemies from spawning right on top of it. I HAVE died to deathsquitos once or twice just outside my base, but that was me being dumb and lazy by running out there without eating.

You'll have to make a base in the Plains eventually anyway, there's crops that will only grow there.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not exactly sure of the mechanics, but setting up a base seems to prevent enemies from spawning right on top of it. I HAVE died to deathsquitos once or twice just outside my base, but that was me being dumb and lazy by running out there without eating.

Enemies won't spawn within your build radius, and I believe a certain distance outside that as well, so as long as it's enclosed random attacks shouldn't be an issue. Until the deathsquitos learn they can just fly over walls, that is...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I never really had any problems with enemies attacking my plains settlement. Though, granted, I only really popped by to harvest the fields every now and then.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

They do do that, but if you push the walls out a decent way and ensure there is workbench coverage they shouldn't spawn inside. Just be careful when you're going near the walls. Or set up little pillboxes outside them with benches in too.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Leal posted:

Our castle is near the edge of the plains border - you can just barely see lox standing over there. At least once a night we get skeeters, it sucks

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Floppychop posted:

Two solutions off the top of my head.

1: build it in the top of a stone spire
2: make the wall around your base consist solely of bonfires windmills

ftfy

The real solution is don't lay around naked in the plains

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I have died in a base in the plains soon after stepping out of the portal in the middle of the base, and I've found needles lodged in our chimney. It seems to have stopped happening after I dropped a few more crafting benches literally on the walls of the base, so I figure it was a specific nearby spawn with unobstructed sightlines on me, but I'm still too traumatized by that to do any farming or smelting there without food buffs and full armor.

re: portals, I figure untagged portals connecting to each other is intended because it makes portals Just Work for someone who hasn't paid attention to the tagging, and they can figure out the tagging from there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is there some trick to get fish that isn't hideously tedious? Would love to get fish wraps going as a good source but using the fishing rod takes so goddamn long.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Is there some trick to get fish that isn't hideously tedious? Would love to get fish wraps going as a good source but using the fishing rod takes so goddamn long.

Only go fishing where there are already fish?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fish are just in the water yeah, and bigger ones I think give you more meat.

If you set up near a decent bunch of them they're not too bad to catch.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I just started playing this and don't have any fishing gear yet, but the waves did beach a fish on the shore. I've been carrying it around for a few days because I can't actually cook anything yet. My initial attempt to build a base on a coastal island got swamped by waves during a storm, so I had to elevate the ground and rebuild

e: Also, the first boss location appears to be across an ocean. Trying to traverse the coast to find a land bridge is how I found the fish and my island

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 11, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The fishing rod literally just hooks fish and pulls them towards you so you can grab them, so anything you can to to get the fish closer to you, or you closer to the fish, will help. So I find fishing off a pier to be easier.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hello Sailor posted:

I've been carrying it around for a few days because I can't actually cook anything yet

You should be able to if you have a hammer! Make a campfire and a cooking station, then just slap that fish into the cooking station.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

OwlFancier posted:

The fishing rod literally just hooks fish and pulls them towards you so you can grab them, so anything you can to to get the fish closer to you, or you closer to the fish, will help. So I find fishing off a pier to be easier.

I wonder if you could make a fish trap that forces them to get stuck in an encircled or shallow water, allowing you to hop in and harvest them all up

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Any tips on dredging a harbor? We've got a bay on the edge of our main continent that'd be a great staging point but I'm tired of dodging rocks when pulling in to dock.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some sort of passive fishing thing would be a good addition I think. Either a fish farm net or yeah, fish traps.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Xand_Man posted:

Any tips on dredging a harbor? We've got a bay on the edge of our main continent that'd be a great staging point but I'm tired of dodging rocks when pulling in to dock.

There's a mod that lets you use tools while swimming, probably the least frustrating option

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xand_Man posted:

A lot of the digging just is irritating as you drop the land and start swimming. But you can shift-click level ground starting at a low point under the water and smooth it out as much as possible that way. Alternatively just raise narrow strips of land out into sea and then convert them into piers.

causticBeet posted:

I wonder if you could make a fish trap that forces them to get stuck in an encircled or shallow water, allowing you to hop in and harvest them all up

Yeah that's what I'm thinking about doing, assuming you can still snatch them from the water.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xand_Man posted:

Activate debug mode and fly underwater so you can dig it out with a pickaxe.

Failing that, you just gotta wait for a massive wave to bring the water level low and then pickaxe it, but the problem with that is that your boat will also go that low when the waves are big so it will still take damage.

The only real solution I found was building a pier out to a deeper part of the channel, and relying on natural water inlets because things like river mouths and coves that go inland will have calm water the further they are from the sea.

Unrelated, but I finished* the gatehouse. I like that the low poly and wobbly effect you get when placing pieces just lets you mash them together and it looks fine. Particularly with the thatching.

*still a couple of blocks to place but it's basically done.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is that core wood reinforcing the stone so you can build it higher?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

mastershakeman posted:

I don't know if it works like that. I think it just looks cool. But then again I guess someone earlier managed to use it like primitive rebar for stone foundations so :shrug:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Broken Cog posted:

Really wish we could plant Oaks imo.
I don't care if the seeds would be rare enough that it wouldn't be feasibly to use them for farming. I want some oak trees next to my houses.

Ravenfood posted:

Birch too, tbh, just for the appearance.
Also, I'm building my first Karve. If I'm trying to place it in the water and its showing that it is going to spawn in the air, I assume that means I have nowhere near the draft depth for the boat and I need to get to digging/building a longer dock, right? And/or, do I need a dock in the first place?

Highline posted:

1000% times this! We've actually set up some settlements in particular places just because of proximity to Oak trees.

The "plantable berry bushes" mod added this recently. I haven't tried it yet so I'm not sure exactly how it works. They added seeds for them, but how do you get the seeds? If you use the other new seeds/mushroom planting be advised that the default timers are absurdly long based on the game's original spawn rates in the world. For example you spend 5 mushrooms to make a mushroom spawner, then it takes 20 real life hours of playing before you've gotten 5 mushrooms back. So, you may want to tweak the config a bit...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Anything particularly noteworthy in silver tier? I'm getting kind of tired of mining out mountains.
Edit: Or more accurately the mountain is getting sick of me. I think the current one is almost mined out and I haven't even looked at most weapons.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 11, 2021

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

genericnick posted:

Anything particularly noteworthy in silver tier? I'm getting kind of tired of mining out mountains.
Edit: Or more accurately the mountain is getting sick of me. I think the current one is almost mined out and I haven't even looked at most weapons.

The weapons and armor are exquisite.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

No, wood cannot, as far as I know, support stone at all, it's just to give it accents and it is helping to hold up the roof and it looks weird if you stop the wood halfway down, so I just run it down to the base.

I could rest the roof supports just on the stonework but it's all working off the same basic grid so it works out that the natural place to put them is in line with the edges of the tower.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

OwlFancier posted:

No, wood cannot, as far as I know, support stone at all, it's just to give it accents and it is helping to hold up the roof and it looks weird if you stop the wood halfway down, so I just run it down to the base.

I have a couple stone towers that I just put the wood over top of so you can't see the stone at all. Depends how the end look is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's not many stone pieces and if you try to build an authentic medieval castle it's gonna be a lame mass of grey. You need the logs to break things up visually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The way the game works is that stone needs to be anchored to the ground, and wood can be anchored to stone, so the tallest buildings need a stone section and then a wood section on top, and the game just sort of encourages you to build that way anyway.

It also really encourages just snapping timbers together a whole bunch.

If you just snap stuff together where it seems like it would go you can make some really nice looking stuff.

I would really like some horizontal diagonal timbers like the vertical ones, and some infill stone bits and stone bits angled for 90, 45, and 22.5 degree connections. Also sloped stone and wood pieces.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The tallest buildings use iron gates, because for some reason those are the strongest structural support lmao