Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like no one should bring up Rowling stuff she try to retroactively add from twitter.

Most book readers aren’t ever going to see that

I had no idea she'd actually said that on Twitter, I spotted the metaphor on my own some time last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

All I know is that the Harry Potter, like Star Wars, is one of those franchises that needs to be given to outside writers with no strings attached.

I wanna know what wizards living int he middle of nowhere Arizona are up to at some truck stop

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh fair but it’s funny because a criticism is the books kept getting longer which is a criticism from fans as well as people who don’t like the book, but it didn’t effect publishing all that much

If she wasn't editor proof those later books probably would have taken longer to get published.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BrianWilly posted:

There were textual reasons why freeing every single house elf into the world with zero thoughts towards the complex ramifications of that was not actually a great idea, and if we want to directly correlate that into Rowling saying that it's better to keep this fictional race as slaves for their own good, sure, okay, it's kind of a bad faith take but I can certainly see why people are uncomfortable with this.
saying there would be complex and unforeseen ramifications of simply releasing the slaves is literally a real world anti-abolitionist argument.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Lupin is fine, if a bit of a...rough metaphor. It's Greyback that's REALLY bad, and I kinda feel somewhere between the 4th and 5th book you can see some of Joanne's shittier views start to pop up. That's where you get Rita Skeeter and a taste of JK's transphobia after all.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh fair but it’s funny because a criticism is the books kept getting longer which is a criticism from fans as well as people who don’t like the book, but it didn’t effect publishing all that much

Yeah, that was never a problem for me and I also don’t think it is a great point of critic.

The point I was trying to make was that the biggest Potter fans weren’t the ones who literally grew up with Harry, but those who were a little younger and had access to all the books from the get go.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like no one should bring up Rowling stuff she try to retroactively add from twitter.

Most book readers aren’t ever going to see that

It's just not good internet HP discourse though unless somebody brings up that one Pottermore tweet about how before magical society finally swallowed their pride and adopted muggle plumbing techniques, they just poo poo themselves where they stood and then vanished it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I do feel like the way Kreacher was being represented earlier than the thread isn't totally accurate. Kreacher was mean and racist because his owners, the Blacks, were mean and racist. And rather than trying to understand him, Sirius was abusive to him, so Kreacher hung out with the racist painting of his racist former mistress all the time instead.

Then Harry decided to be nice to him after becoming his new master, and suddenly Kreacher wasn't bad or racist any longer. He even bathed and washed his shirt more on top of it! So you see, you just have to be nice to your indentured servants and teach them the proper way to behave and everything will work out alright.

Sydin posted:

It's just not good internet HP discourse though unless somebody brings up that one Pottermore tweet about how before magical society finally swallowed their pride and adopted muggle plumbing techniques, they just poo poo themselves where they stood and then vanished it.

Seriously, why wouldn't they all be using like chamber pots that like idk magically eat the mess because they've bound the souls of orphans into them? Everything we're shown about wizard society has demonstrated that they're virulently sociopathic enough against non-humans and non-wizards to bind the souls of forsaken children to their toilets.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 11, 2021

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i saw a tweet by a 16 year old cancelling lyndsey ellis for quote unquote promoting predatory ships earlier today

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Impermanent posted:

i saw a tweet by a 16 year old cancelling lyndsey ellis for quote unquote promoting predatory ships earlier today

thanks for sharing

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
you can't drop that and not tell us what the ship was!

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

Rowling really did name her werewolf characters Lupin and Fenrir didn't she.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Alaois posted:

the only thing i know about harry potter is that the Japanese wizard school is a.) named with insanely lazy machine translation that just means "Magic Place" and b.) is located on the Bonin Islands, which were uninhabited before being colonized by the British in 1830 and later taken control of by Shogunate Japan in 1875, which I can only assume means that the intention is that the British introduced magic to Japan.

Now we know the real reason why the Tokugawa shogunate closed the country to foreigners; it was to keep the loving wizards out.

Anyway, that podcast sounds interesting. I've been wanting to find a podcast to listen to when playing games, and listening to one tear apart Harry Potter sounds entertaining. Only other podcast I've listened to in the last few months was We Hate Movies, and that only some select episodes.

Impermanent posted:

I saw a story a month or two back about someone who put together a 500 page document detailing some kid who made a ship of their self-insert with a cartoon character or something like that.

What the hell is a 'ship' anyway, and why is it called a 'ship'?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Rowling retroactively claiming werewolves were a metaphor for homophobia/AIDS is what's problematic. Like sure, Remus is a fine character, but there's concerning implications when the only other named werewolf, who is leader of a werewolf army fighting under the banner of the dark lord, is the aforementioned child predator/serial killer. This isn't to say that I agree that The Prisoner of Azkaban is worthless because of Rowling making poo poo up decades later, because I think he's fine in that book as far as an emblem of irrational wizard bigotry. Her addendums to this later are where poo poo gets stupid.

Imagine if Just Kidding had stayed quiet instead of making the long grab for looking progressive in addition to the gems like how wizards would just squat anywhere and blow out a batch of butt pudding and magic it away and Anthony Goldstein and the Asian lady being a snake all along.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

"Ship" is short for relationship. It was orginaly popularized in the X-Files fandom as a fan who thought that Mulder and Scully should be in a romantic relationship, also known as MSR. And to quote from the wikipedia page on "shipping":

Wikipedia posted:

They called themselves "relationshippers," at first; then R'shipper, 'shipper, and finally just shipper.

Which, fun fact, means the term slash predates 'ship by roughly 20 years. Isn't fandom nomenclature fun?

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

e X posted:

the biggest Potter fans weren’t the ones who literally grew up with Harry, but those who were a little younger and had access to all the books from the get go.

Yeah that was absolutely the demo it hit best with. I remember the first two books being read to us in my 2nd grade elementary class (for non US goons that's roughly around ages 7/8). It was very easy for a kid that young to get wrapped up in the narrative and fantasize about maybe someday getting that coveted invite from Hogwarts, bonus points if you didn't grow up particularly social or had a troubled home life

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

McConnell posted:

Rowling really did name her werewolf characters Lupin and Fenrir didn't she.

She really likes her very obvious names.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

A pairing that's usually not pushed as directly in the material or sometimes not pushed outside of fan thoughts that they like.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't wanna come across as victim blame-y, but if you name your child Wolfy McWolf you don't get to be surprised when a werewolf bites him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dias posted:

Like, it's not even like there were that many other established YA series at the time going on, so the timing was perfect.

Other YA series existed but "young adults" mostly didn't read them. Outside of Harry Potter, the most read books among middle schoolers when I attended were the Stephen King novels.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dias posted:

That's where you get Rita Skeeter and a taste of JK's transphobia after all.

I'm scared to ask what the first sign was

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

Imagine if Just Kidding had stayed quiet instead of making the long grab for looking progressive in addition to the gems like how wizards would just squat anywhere and blow out a batch of butt pudding and magic it away and Anthony Goldstein and the Asian lady being a snake all along.

It's not like anything was even stopping her from just doing banal things like confirming the full family tree of the Weasleys for 1,000 years or trying to explain why Hufflepuff exists for the rest of time. Instead, she thinks extrapolating on her ill-conceived metaphors and wizard diarrhetics are what we as a society crave to know the most about, while being shocked that people actually thought Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood would be a cute couple or that anyone would care what either of those characters got up to after the story ended.

Schwarzwald posted:

Other YA series existed but "young adults" mostly didn't read them. Outside of Harry Potter, the most read books among middle schoolers when I attended were the Stephen King novels.

Harry Potter did kind of wildly reshape idiotic notions on YA as a demographic to market books to. Both in the kinds of books tweens and teens (and adults let's be real here) would interested in reading, but also the size of the books that could hold their attention.

Since this is still the youtube thread, Lindsay Ellis did a great short video on that for her PBS video series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn3aKZ8ZVFo

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I never read or watched Harry Potter because my mother is a batshit insane fundy who thought it was bad because it's "WITCHCRAFT!!1! :qq:" and wouldnt let me so I was always mad that I missed out on it for years and years but now it turns out she was right just for the wrong reason. :shepface:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 11, 2021

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I don't wanna come across as victim blame-y, but if you name your child Wolfy McWolf you don't get to be surprised when a werewolf bites him.

JK missed a trick by not having him marry Irma Wolfman

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jk Rowling reveals a new character. meet Sanguine Jugular. he has a terrible secret, and you'll never guess what it is

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Famethrowa posted:

I'm scared to ask what the first sign was

She is frequently described as looking "mannish".

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wasn't there also a part in one of the later HP books where harry and ron can't go into the girl's dorm to talk with hermione, but she can go into the boy's dorm just fine?? that bit's a lot worse knowing about her terfness, i think.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Rowling have a side of fat shaming at times as well? I guess the Dursley men are exhibit A.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dabir posted:

jk Rowling reveals a new character. meet Sanguine Jugular. he has a terrible secret, and you'll never guess what it is

There literally is a vampire named Sanguine. It's not a secret though, he's only around for like one scene and in it his manager has to keep him from chasing after young girls.

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Rowling have a side of fat shaming at times as well? I guess the Dursley men are exhibit A.

Yes, even going on to her newer books Rowling has this really weird habit of not only associating fatness with mean spirited cruelty or general idiocy and ignorance in characters; but being utterly unable to not reference it. Like it's one thing to describe a character as fat when you're, obviously, describing how they look. But then to bring up how fat they are every single time they talk or enter a scene: it feels either obsessive or fetishistic, but lacks the grotesque detail of a fetishist.

Anyway my big beef with harry potter, ever since I was younger and reading them for the first time, has always been the Weasleys. They're always portrayed as being super, super poor and like irish stereotypes or something I guess. But yo, as someone who grew up poor; I wish my life was as sweet as theirs. Like, they actually own a house. And a yard. Their parents cook them loving home meals, and while they're tight on cash they "scrape by" and "manage". And yet their mother is a housewife and their dad only works one job, at the government no less! So if poo poo did get dire they could like. Do more to make ends meet. They always felt like cheery fake middle-upper class ideas of what it's like being poor. And yeah they're clearly meant to contrast the Dursleys who have everything, but suck; since they have nothing, but are great. But they don't have nothing. They're just not rich in a world where everyone seems to have infinite money except them. But even then it becomes a plot point in the last book or so that while they're off camping, Ron gets pissy because he's never had to go hungry in his life, or slept in the cold, or anything like that. He's always had a sweet rear end life and being stuck camping the woods for a bit just ruins his day. Of course every one of his siblings also conveniently manage to bootstraps themselves to outstanding success too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Now I've gone and remembered how the racist wizard parents only found out about Lupin's lycanthropy because Snape leaked the information in a fit of pique and man.... Harry named his child after that guy.

a friend of mine said that Alan rickman kinda "ruined" snape, because in the books, snapes a gross weird dude who bullies kids, but the further the books go, the more obvious that she is basing her thing off rickman(who she apperently told that snape was gonna face turn) so basicaly she made him the good guy even though he did hosed up poo poo like that and was cool with harry and his dad getting killed as long as his waifu didnt get butchered.

Dawgstar posted:

a gently caress ton of fat shaming poo poo.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
I was 4 when the Philosopher's Stone book was released and I read it a couple months before the movie premiered. I was a big fan in the 4 years after that. So much so that one day in 2003 I had the brilliant idea to...read Order Of The Phoenix while I was riding my bike? :doh: If you guessed that trip ended in a hospital visit, you'd be right. I stopped reading Half-Blood Prince for the dumbest reason: I was too scared of the illustration for the Hog's Head chapter. I just read a synopsis of the remaining plot (YTMND spoiled everyone on that part anyway) and saved the full experience for the movie. And then when the Deathly Hallows book came out, I only read about 12 chapters before I got bored and decided to yet again leave the rest up to the movie. By the time the movies finished airing I was already pretty distant from the series, and was left with the feeling that, while my initial investment in the fandom led to a fun period of my life, I might as well keep that as merely a good memory, because I wouldn't get anything out of any revisits. So when Joanne started her heel turn, I just thanked my feeble kid/teen brain for getting out before I got too attached and keeping the heartbreak to a minimum.

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 11, 2021

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Book Snape was a gangly, pale, greasy, loser with sunken eyes and stringy hair who was embittered by his grade school crush not liking that he called her slurs and joined the magic-nazis, that was the point of his character arc that by all looks he 'should' have been the bad guy but...well okay he was but JK said he wasn't so he was actually a hero Harry admired in the end for some reason but like...that was what she was going for at least.

Then Rickman came in all DILFy and wrecked one of the few attempts at nuance she tried.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Do the books ever explain why the greatest dark wizard, with followers penetrating every level of society and at one point pretty much taking over Britain, doesn't ever use stuff that is available to kids at a local school?

Like, say, a Time-turner. Or that luck potion that just makes the plot go your way. Instead, he is all gung-ho on some previously-unheard-of unique wand that never amounted to anything. And he didn't even need it since his nemesis was already dead!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sephyr posted:

Like, say, a Time-turner. Or that luck potion that just makes the plot go your way. Instead, he is all gung-ho on some previously-unheard-of unique wand that never amounted to anything. And he didn't even need it since his nemesis was already dead!

Rowling went out of her way to say all the time-turners we destroyed when Harry & co had a fight at the Ministry of Magic in book 5. There's apparently all sorts of other weird and potentially dangerous magic artifacts in the Ministry, but Rowling would have to think up what they'd do and that'd get in the way of her magic laser fights.

The luck potion takes six months to make, and is apparently very hard to brew and easy to gently caress up horribly. Maybe Snape could've done it? But I guess he'd have reasons to make excuses for why he couldn't. It's not addressed either way.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I was fairly young when I read the first few Potter books and must of been pretty engaging for me; I imagine the dream of receiving a letter from Hogwarts was probably a fairly common one for my generation.

I do think I fell off the series naturally round the mid point though; by the time I got round to reading the half blood prince I was 12 and so thought they were lame as hell because the characters didn't spend their time lieing about smoking weed and claiming to have hosed each others mums.

Feels like the 2nd half of the series got dragged into popularity from inertia from the first half.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 11, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Slughorn (the person who makes the luck potion) mentions he's only taken it twice, and Harry and co find it still isn't powerful enough to do a few things they'd like it to do.

Booky posted:

wasn't there also a part in one of the later HP books where harry and ron can't go into the girl's dorm to talk with hermione, but she can go into the boy's dorm just fine?? that bit's a lot worse knowing about her terfness, i think.

That's the kind of restriction you'd get at a boarding school.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sephyr posted:

Do the books ever explain why the greatest dark wizard, with followers penetrating every level of society and at one point pretty much taking over Britain, doesn't ever use stuff that is available to kids at a local school?

Because he, like a real nazi, is just super, super obsessed with weird and ineffectual mysticism rather than things that actually work.

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

Dabir posted:

It's up to an Italian and Russian wizard duo, Tony Pizza and Commie Vodka, to stop him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey guys, I'm sorry for recommending Filmento in here. Guy's an idiot actually.

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1367597095344029698

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Hey guys, I'm sorry for recommending Filmento in here. Guy's an idiot actually.

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1367597095344029698

I'm not sure whether or not that's sarcasm or if it is it wouldn't just make things worse.