Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
GoG is running a 40 years of Falcom sale.

https://www.gog.com/promo/nihon_falcom_40th_anniversary

They also have an interview with Kondo.

https://www.gog.com/news/interview_president_of_nihon_falcom_reflects_on_their_40_years_in_the_game_industry

Ys Origin for 4,19€ is just ridiculous good value and they also cut 80% of Tokyo Xanadu EX+ if someone still hasn't played that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Many requests in CSII had very amusing titles, but "My Jormungand Don't Want None" takes the loving cake lmao

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Azran posted:

Many requests in CSII had very amusing titles, but "My Jormungand Don't Want None" takes the loving cake lmao

The description for it is great as well:

"When we speak of serpents, what should spring to mind but the fell Jormungandr? But in truth, I have my own glorious serpent I bring out at parties and on special occations. In fact—
(Rean, this is Major Vander. Pay no attention to the prince and just kill the monster.)"

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I didn't go out of my way to fill the recipe book in CS1 so I decided I'd do so in 2 and :lol: Millium's peculiar dish quote had me laugh out loud. "Death toll in the thousands!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/xenosaga7/status/1369170855842877442

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Official site is also open with character and setting details as well as first looks at the field and combat system. Wasn't sure if TLs were accurate, but seems like you really do swap between aRPG and turnbased combat, though I very much get the impression that the former is for making trash fights faster while TB is still the "real" system.

For one it seems like you need to enter command mode to access all your arts and crafts, and it's not like FF7R, you make a turn order bar popup and have to wait for the enemies to take their swings once you've taken an action in TB mode.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/the-legend-of-heroes-kuro-no-kiseki-details-characters-setting-and-battle-system-first-gameplay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

Official site is also open with character and setting details as well as first looks at the field and combat system. Wasn't sure if TLs were accurate, but seems like you really do swap between aRPG and turnbased combat, though I very much get the impression that the former is for making trash fights faster while TB is still the "real" system.

For one it seems like you need to enter command mode to access all your arts and crafts, and it's not like FF7R, you make a turn order bar popup and have to wait for the enemies to take their swings once you've taken an action in TB mode.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/03/the-legend-of-heroes-kuro-no-kiseki-details-characters-setting-and-battle-system-first-gameplay

quote:

At least four more characters are planned to be announced, who are ages 20, 15, 22, and 69.

If these are the other party members, makes me wonder if any of them are returning characters that you're supposed to guess based on how old they'd be.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nice

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

:emptyquote:

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Combat looks to be a nice evolution from the old system, can't wait to import a copy, I wonder if they're shooting for a summer release like last year's Hajimari.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Motto posted:

quote:

A girl with brown skin, short-styled hair, and a petite physique who is also a young member of the high-ranking jaeger corps “Kurgha Soldiers.”

Having experienced serious combat training since childhood, she shows her fierce jaeger side in battle, but being a young girl unfamiliar with a large city, she also shows reactions expected from a girl her age in day-to-day life.

And she uses a gunblade. I guess Fi was popular enough that they decided to just do her again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it seems like she just uses a gun? and the 'young female jaeger corp member' thing is there but lbr, shirley exists too, and renne, criminal organizations in zemuria are required by law to have one teenage girl on payroll

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Letting allies close to each other share Arts, that'd have some interesting tactical uses

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Endorph posted:

it seems like she just uses a gun? and the 'young female jaeger corp member' thing is there but lbr, shirley exists too, and renne, criminal organizations in zemuria are required by law to have one teenage girl on payroll

The character bio thing calls it an "Assault Sword". Going by the gameplay video it's one of those wacky monster hunter style transforming weapons.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
They finally added positional attacks to TB mode, about time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

CSII ending stuff: Okay, last dungeon of the Finale was a bit long, mobs had a ton of HP and there were a bunch of boss fights. But that's done! Revelations and plot twists happened, then I played the Divertissement and there's now an epilogue with... more quests? And there's another dungeon afterwards? With how many floors???? :psyduck:

Azran fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 9, 2021

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Azran posted:

CSII ending stuff: Okay, last dungeon of the Finale was a bit long, mobs had a ton of HP and there were a bunch of boss fights. But that's done! Revelations and plot twists happened, then I played the Divertissement and there's now an epilogue with... more quests? And there's another dungeon afterwards? With how many floors???? :psyduck:

16 or 20, I forget.

There's a boss at the end too. It's pretty easy though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything in that dungeon is randomly placed crap so while you can get some decent items if you want there's nothing stopping you from just running to the exits

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Trails of Cold Steel getting an anime in 2022

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/03/09-1/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-tv-anime-revealed-for-2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
How terrifying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think they should probably have an Anime-style recap of sky/duo/cold steel because honestly, it's a long series to expect a newbie to jump into

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Apparently it's not actually going to be a Cold Steel anime, but its own story set in western Zemuria (which really covers also Liberl and Crossbell, doesn't it) that's going to get its own game.

Thank god, because the OVA was really bad.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

If these are the other party members, makes me wonder if any of them are returning characters that you're supposed to guess based on how old they'd be.

Any reveal for mr 69 that isn't "Yun Ka-Fai" is going to now be a massive disappointment.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Any reveal for mr 69 that isn't "Yun Ka-Fai" is going to now be a massive disappointment.

It’s going to be a 69 year old grandma who looks as young as the rest of the cast.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

I get the feeling he's older than that and it makes me sad cuz I;d love that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Finished CS2, the scene with everyone thanking Sara was the sweetest thing ever, I loved it. Overall the roughest parts for me (at least in terms of gameplay) were the shrines and the Thors student collectathon. In the case of the former, I didn't like the background music and I wanted the story to get on with it already. With the latter, I just don't care about many of the Thors NPCs, though it was neat to see the end of some of their storylines like Mint's matchmaking or the relationship between Alan and Bridget. The final dungeon seemed a lot worse than it actually was! Thanks for the tip about just running to the exit.

Finished the CS3 prologue and just from the get go I'm loving basically everything? The presentation is slick and I'm enjoying the changes to the UI and battle systems; the new party members are all interesting - Altina in particular has gotten some excellent lines already, and I love how they did a repeat of the Alisa - Rean accident but then resolved it like thirty minutes later because these Kurt and Juna are much more mature. Teacher Rean is great and I love how, outside of Towa, he's in unfriendly or awkward terms with pretty much everyone else in campus. He's even using fake glasses, what a dork, I love him.
That said, I will mourn the loss of Ashley Burch as Millium :rip:

Edit: Oh also, re: CS2 - the "third faction" concept was very, very clunky in execution.

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 10, 2021

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ethiser posted:

It’s going to be a 69 year old grandma who looks as young as the rest of the cast.

Later revealed to be Ouroboros Enforcer No. LXIX

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nep-Nep posted:

Later revealed to be Ouroboros Enforcer No. LXIX

Neissmann

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, that certainly NOT the way Munk sounded in my head lol

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The third faction stuff is the worst part of Cold Steel 2 since it's kind of hilarious how much you're really not.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Azran posted:

Okay, that certainly NOT the way Munk sounded in my head lol

Yeah I don't think anyone expected the gruff voice.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Neissmann

lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hwurmp posted:

Neissmann

Thank you

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

RevolverDivider posted:

The third faction stuff is the worst part of Cold Steel 2 since it's kind of hilarious how much you're really not.

"We won't takes sides in this war" *Pushes the Noble Alliance out of every major Eastern Erebonia city, then coordinates a multi-pronged assault on the capital with the RMP and the Imperial Army*

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Azran posted:

"We won't takes sides in this war" *Pushes the Noble Alliance out of every major Eastern Erebonia city, then coordinates a multi-pronged assault on the capital with the RMP and the Imperial Army*
The way I see it, Class VII can't really be faulted for the Noble Alliance basically being Team War Crimes. They can, however, be faulted for not officially recognizing that and saying "You know what, the Noble Alliance is bad, actually, and they need to be stopped."

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm 100% in favor of them fighting the Noble Alliance and their constant warcrimes, but the way things went I don't really see any meaningful difference between what they did and they just outright saying "we're allies of the Imperial Army but we're not under their jurisdiction". They acted as if tiptoeing around the "well we're not actually on anybody's side" made any difference considering the Noble Alliance had arrest warrants out for the whole group from the get go. Meanwhile, the Imperial Army always welcomed them with open arms and allowed them to operate and resupply in whatever regions they had under their control. Unless I'm misremembering, practically every important location the 4th Armored Division (that's Craig's, IIRC?) recaptured was due to the direct intervention of the Courageous.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

To an extent the game seems to recognise Class VII did a very poor job at being a neutral third party. Y’know with Osborne showing up in the ending to thank them for all the help they provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

tbh the thors student collectathon was one of my favorite things about cs2

i always made sure to talk to everyone in cs1 so i was p. decently invested in them, and also it had a fun suikoden vibe to it with how they'd unlock new poo poo on your ship