Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I don't know if things are lining up just right so that it thinks it's anchored by stone somehow, but the center floor blocks in my pier are only supported by horizontal beams running between the wall sections that form the base.

So now I'm confused about stone rules.

Also sometimes it seems like arches crumble when I stick them on the side of a stone structure... and sometimes they stay there just fine.

Edit: basically I have a short wall that runs along the inside of my taller, outer wall. I have horizonal log beams running from the inner to the outer wall and stone floor three across. The inside floor sits on top of the inside wall, and the other two pieces sit on nothing but those beams.

I originally started using iron wood but realized that the floors sat on the beams just fine and switched.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stone rules are finnicky but it basically doesn't like doing horizontal spans, but if there's enough stonework around it, it will let you do it. You need vaulting to cover any real distance but the gatehouse center is largely open span, albeit at the limits of what it will allow:

E: Actually you're right, wood does support stone but it's very unhappy about it and you need a fair bit of it.

So you could have a stone topped pier, but you can't build anything more on the stone..

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 11, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

The tallest buildings use iron gates, because for some reason those are the strongest structural support lmao

Sewers

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

No, wood cannot, as far as I know, support stone at all,

Please help me understand what is happening here:

Vanadium posted:

Edit: Unrelated but how the gently caress is this stable, I thought stone needs to rest on stone

Edit:

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 11, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So... just had... something.

Day instantly turned to night, fog everywhere, and a goddamn troll spawned right in the middle of the gorgeous base I just finished building, inside all the walls and defenses. Before I could do anything, while he was still no more than a giant shadow, he starts swinging. He destroyed the house and the beds and the chests, and I was NOT equipped for a fight.

Eventually took him down, but basically nothing remains. WTF

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gently caress off shadowy figure in the woods

if ur just gonna poof when i get close then don't stop by at all :colbert:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

verbal enema posted:

gently caress off shadowy figure in the woods

if ur just gonna poof when i get close then don't stop by at all :colbert:

The Allfather likes to watch... x_o

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Building mechanics:
The four building materials each have different amounts of support and the support decays at different rates. The TLDR is that it's almost entirely distance based.

The gritty technical details follow.

Beginning support values:
Wood: 100 (needs 10 remaining for a piece to stay)
Core: 140 (also needs 10)
Stone: 1000 (needs 100)
Iron: 1500 (needs 20)

Loss values vertical/horizontal:
Wood: 0.125 / 0.2
Core: 0.1 / 0.16666667
Stone: 0.125 / 1 (this is why stone really doesn't like horizontal spans)
Iron: 0.07692308 (same both vertical and horizontal)

The code appears to figure out support from the most-supported attached piece and recurses from there to figure out every attached piece, assuming the available support is greater than the minimum support needed (this is why the colors take a bit of time to settle once you place a piece, but a piece on a red piece dies instantly). The loss values are interpolated linearly based on the angle of the piece, and then directly multiplied by what seems to be the center-to-center distance from piece to piece. That loss is taken from the most-supported piece connected to it, which the piece inherits. This is why wood on stone or iron usually looks like it's "grounded", particularly stone - for a stone piece to stay, it needs to have at least 100 support which is the maximum that wood can have. This is also why iron-on-stone or stone-on-iron have shorter limits, because they're inheriting a smaller support value.

There's also some extra bit of code I can't quite figure out that averages the support values of two connected pieces if they are more than 100 degrees apart in the XZ plane, this might come into play if something is being supported solely horizontally (makes bridge middles longer?) or maybe if it's being suspended from multiple pieces? I'm sure it makes more sense in the actual code rather than what ILSpy decompiles.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Spears are without a doubt the best weapons

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
wow i had a horrible fight against moder. i liked the first 3 quite a bit, i was prepped pretty well for bonemass so that helped

against moder i figured ok, dragon, ill bring a maxed out draugr bow and 130 needle arrows + some wood ones. bow skill 35. the area i fought him was all uneven with crags . moder kept landing and kind of spinning around, i'd go up and try to melee him, but couldnt time a parry. no big deal, his swipes didnt hurt much vs my carrot soup+lox meat+sausage.

but...i just couldnt hit her for poo poo. the amount of stamina i'd used trying to go up rocks to hit her meant i didn't have much t oswing, and i missed at least half the time with my frostner. just kept whiffing.

eventually i just arrowed her to death. burned through all my needle arrows and a bunch of wooden too. super annoying. oh, and her ice attack from the air? could never read it right (on all low settings) so i'd usually not get hit but sometimes get knocked down to 20 hp and have to potion (this happened twice). burned through almost all my stamina potions just trying to keep damage up

maybe i should have flattened the entire mountaintop.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

verbal enema posted:

Spears are without a doubt the best weapons

I tried the Fang spear today, and I don't see it? The melee attack is all single target as far as I can tell? That's no good

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

I tried the Fang spear today, and I don't see it? The melee attack is all single target as far as I can tell? That's no good

Yeah, and it seems like if the target's head is at chest level or lower, you'll miss. Spears just seem more annoying to use, overall

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

parasyte posted:

Building mechanics:
The four building materials each have different amounts of support and the support decays at different rates. The TLDR is that it's almost entirely distance based.

The code appears to figure out support from the most-supported attached piece and recurses from there to figure out every attached piece, assuming the available support is greater than the minimum support needed (this is why the colors take a bit of time to settle once you place a piece, but a piece on a red piece dies instantly). The loss values are interpolated linearly based on the angle of the piece, and then directly multiplied by what seems to be the center-to-center distance from piece to piece. That loss is taken from the most-supported piece connected to it, which the piece inherits. This is why wood on stone or iron usually looks like it's "grounded", particularly stone - for a stone piece to stay, it needs to have at least 100 support which is the maximum that wood can have. This is also why iron-on-stone or stone-on-iron have shorter limits, because they're inheriting a smaller support value.

There's also some extra bit of code I can't quite figure out that averages the support values of two connected pieces if they are more than 100 degrees apart in the XZ plane, this might come into play if something is being supported solely horizontally (makes bridge middles longer?) or maybe if it's being suspended from multiple pieces? I'm sure it makes more sense in the actual code rather than what ILSpy decompiles.

I posted this in.. several discords. I'm posting it here again for reasons.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

After some experimentation, I believe I've made some advances in Viking Rebar tech:

You can do something with just core wood too, but you don't get quite as far before you need another "real" support pillar:

parasyte posted:

directly multiplied by what seems to be the center-to-center distance from piece to piece.

This is funny because it means you can attach another core wood beam at a V angle when you couldn't attach it in a straight line.

Vanadium fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 11, 2021

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Out on a viking cruise with my brother, sister in law, and one of our buddies. Turns to night, storm brews up, waves start getting big, we set speed to maximum and head out into open waters.

Next thing we know a serpent falls off a wave into our boat. We literally sat there for a good 10 seconds before my sister in law asks if she can punch it since it appears to not be able to fight back while on "land" to see if we can kill it.

So we punched that fucker to death and didnt lose a single bit of loot to the stormy seas. Best raid ever. Game rules.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We beat the fifth boss! We did it recovering our corpses from last night without really regrouping or doing anything at all different to prepare or anything, guess we were just tired last night. We then summon a couple tree bosses and killed em both same time just to see if we could/ Finally, we then sailed/swam as far as we could.

Great game, love this game, can't wait to see what they have in store.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

PittTheElder posted:

They don't have the wide swings of swords and maces, but you can still hit two adjacent enemies with one jab. And their damage output is huge thanks to the quick attack speed.

Of course, if your spear skill is zilch then yeah it's not gonna feel all that impressive at first if you switch late. But I've been using spears since the beginning with my third character and they're loving amazing. And I am saying this after extensive first hand experience with other weapons on my other two characters.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Still worse than the polearms

But bow skill is where it's at

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

mastershakeman posted:

wow i had a horrible fight against moder. i liked the first 3 quite a bit, i was prepped pretty well for bonemass so that helped

against moder i figured ok, dragon, ill bring a maxed out draugr bow and 130 needle arrows + some wood ones. bow skill 35. the area i fought him was all uneven with crags . moder kept landing and kind of spinning around, i'd go up and try to melee him, but couldnt time a parry. no big deal, his swipes didnt hurt much vs my carrot soup+lox meat+sausage.

but...i just couldnt hit her for poo poo. the amount of stamina i'd used trying to go up rocks to hit her meant i didn't have much t oswing, and i missed at least half the time with my frostner. just kept whiffing.

eventually i just arrowed her to death. burned through all my needle arrows and a bunch of wooden too. super annoying. oh, and her ice attack from the air? could never read it right (on all low settings) so i'd usually not get hit but sometimes get knocked down to 20 hp and have to potion (this happened twice). burned through almost all my stamina potions just trying to keep damage up

maybe i should have flattened the entire mountaintop.

Did you get the rested buff beforehand?

Not sure if parrying Moder works, I just dodged all the attacks when I was meleeing.

But yeah, trying to melee in an area that's hard to move around in is going to be tough. Bring a few hundred arrows, obsidian or better.

Regarding the ice attack from the air, just run sideways and jump when you see it coming.

Drink a frost resist potion before you start.

Woden
May 6, 2006
What's the scaling on stamina usage like for weapons?

I have 71 in clubs and 30 in spears, the club gets 16 swings before I run out of stamina while the spear only gets 13. Unless the spear gets way better on stamina usage later on I'll stick with the clubs.

Edit: sword and axe at ~30 get more swings than clubs at 71, spears are looking pretty bad unless somehow stamina isn't an issue for you.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I generally roll with a spear, mace and a bow. The spear is very quick which is great for parrying and dodging single, tough enemies. You can also lob it at enemies for extra style points. The mace (especially Frostner) is great for crowd control and the bow is just great all round. I haven't found a use for the sword, axe or two-handed weapons which isn't done better or at least covered by these three weapon types.

Woden posted:

What's the scaling on stamina usage like for weapons?

I have 71 in clubs and 30 in spears, the club gets 16 swings before I run out of stamina while the spear only gets 13. Unless the spear gets way better on stamina usage later on I'll stick with the clubs.

Edit: sword and axe at ~30 get more swings than clubs at 71, spears are looking pretty bad unless somehow stamina isn't an issue for you.

I haven't really noticed the higher stamina cost but that's probably because whenever I'm using it I'm fighting more defensively/conservatively anyway. I enjoy the moveset of the spear a lot but if it doesn't appeal to you, I don't think you'll have any trouble sticking with clubs for the entire game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

piano chimp posted:

I generally roll with a spear, mace and a bow. The spear is very quick which is great for parrying and dodging single, tough enemies. You can also lob it at enemies for extra style points. The mace (especially Frostner) is great for crowd control and the bow is just great all round. I haven't found a use for the sword, axe or two-handed weapons which isn't done better or at least covered by these three weapon types.
So far this is what I've been doing, plus an axe for trees. A sword just seems superfluous while an atgeir at least gets you a two-handed weapon if you want one. If there was a way to increase item slots I could see using more for variety but as is I'm filling my inventory even without extra weapons I'm not using, plus the skill system at least gently encourages more specialization.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
I like that people can play with different weapons and have their own reasoning why they think it's the best. Totally comes down to play style.

For my money, it's the Frostner and nothing else comes close. Wide attacks, multiple damage types, great knockback... there's so much to like. When an enemy gets affected by the slowing debuff, you can basically land hits without them ever being able to get in a counter attack due to them being pushed back out of range before their swing lands. And the alternate attack pretty much obliterates anything that isn't a starred goblin or higher. Plus, as far as I can tell, its the only weapon with a visual glow effect or anything like that because they clearly were horny for making a Mjolnir knockoff.

VVVV totally spaced on the bow, but I hadn't made the Porcupine yet since I already had the Frostner and didn't want to invest the resources

DyneAvenger fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 11, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Porcupine and the fang both have glowy bits

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
And besides, mjolnir is in the game, just look up during storms at sea

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also making two of the "magical" weapons Clubs, plus having swords and atgeir only show up at bronze, plus mostly introducing skeletons around that point so you want to get a mace around then anyway, goes a long, long way to making clubs an incredibly good weapon type.

Does anything resist blunt at all?

E: maybe greydwarves should be resistant so your bronze tier gives you a reason to use a pierce/slash weapon the way skeletons encourage a blunt one?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 11, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think boss 4 resists blunt

Woden
May 6, 2006
Loxes resist blunt, and they're giant bags of HP.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

Exactly. Working as coded, just not as intended.

This is the part where someone figures out a way to inject something in there

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Bronze arrows seem to work ok for Lox. The Draugr dont seem weak to blunt.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Woden posted:

Thats why you ride them with a pickaxe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/ln4sri/i_see_your_how_to_hunt_a_lox_post_and_raise_you/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Woden posted:

Well that explains things. I sure have gotten good at parrying them

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What is it that murders my longboats? That's the second time I leave one in, what I thought was a decently save harbor only to return to a lonely cargo unit floating in the sea?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The grind for leather scraps is going to be the death of me. From what I'm reading, taming boars is not worth it unless you find a two star one, so I've been spending all my time running around the meadows for what seems like ages.

Fortunately, this game is so atmospheric and beautiful I don't mind doing a loop over and over again to look for boars.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

genericnick posted:

What is it that murders my longboats? That's the second time I leave one in, what I thought was a decently save harbor only to return to a lonely cargo unit floating in the sea?

Do you have a portal nearby? I've lost three longboats to weird physics bugs that only happened when I had a portal very close to the dock. I'd zone in and find the boat capsized - just had to watch whilst it disintegrated. I resolved the issue by placing the portal decently far away, maybe 100m or so.

Alternatively it could be the locals swimming up and clobbering your boats. Enemies seem to beeline for boats and can attack whilst swimming unfortunately. I haven't found a decent solution to this as they'll just swim around sea walls to get to your boats.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

In my case it was greydwarves spawning and making a beeline to it and hitting it while I farted around somewhat nearby.

I've noticed that the whole "place a workbench at X will prevent spawning" is also not true. I've plastered my base in workbenches and have personally witnessed shamans and such materialize right in front of me, within the radius of a bench.

I think the rules of spawning change at night.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

In my case it was greydwarves spawning and making a beeline to it and hitting it while I farted around somewhat nearby.

I've noticed that the whole "place a workbench at X will prevent spawning" is also not true. I've plastered my base in workbenches and have personally witnessed shamans and such materialize right in front of me, within the radius of a bench.

I think the rules of spawning change at night.

I could see it from my tower and never saw anything attacking. I guess I can store it in a chest instead.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

parasyte posted:

Building mechanics:

This needs in the OP

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Does that mean the arch works because it's center point is higher and therefore the support vector has a vertical component when attached to something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i don't quite follow the technical details of the materials post; it seems to be saying you can make wooden structures 800m high, so i think there's a bit of context missing in the loss values section