Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

And the 2e Vietnam P500 has made the cut !

That has to be a record.

gently caress yeah. Now let's get this printed and out the door in 2021, GMT--I still believe in you!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

gently caress yeah. Now let's get this printed and out the door in 2021, GMT--I still believe in you!!!

Just another 5-9 months til they ship Mr. President!!!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Kazzah posted:

Just another 5-9 months til they ship Mr. President!!!

This was going to be my next question- I have three games that made the cut. I guess it's like Kickstarter where you get it whenyou get it. I know that printing and shipping overseas is a beast. I guess I shouldn't give away my old copies of The Russian Campaign and The Civil War yet.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Ive completely forgotten how goddamn long ago the musket & pike dual pack made the cut

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
The problem is that they put things on P500 as a means to see if a game is even worth finishing - they're often not even done designing it. And the designers all have day jobs, life troubles, etc. So sometimes things end up on there for ages. Which is fine except people keep expecting it to mean that it's coming sometime soon.

On the other hand you wouldn't think the musket & pike thing would take that long, it's basically done. I would think all it would need is new box art and an editing pass to incorporate updates and the like in the rules. :shrug:

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

SavageMessiah posted:

The problem is that they put things on P500 as a means to see if a game is even worth finishing - they're often not even done designing it. And the designers all have day jobs, life troubles, etc. So sometimes things end up on there for ages. Which is fine except people keep expecting it to mean that it's coming sometime soon.

On the other hand you wouldn't think the musket & pike thing would take that long, it's basically done. I would think all it would need is new box art and an editing pass to incorporate updates and the like in the rules. :shrug:

They also use it to gague how quickly they should print the game.

They are claiming to do some upgrades to M&P - formation markers etc, and incorporating some extra scenarios, so it's not entirely a straight reprint..

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
GMT just sucks complete loving rear end when it comes to project management.

Meanwhile....

No Motherland Without
October 26, 2020 -- Compass Games announces upcoming Kickstarter campaign
December 30, 2020 - Kickstarter Campaign begins
February 10, 2021 - Game arrives in mail

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

HerraS posted:

Ive completely forgotten how goddamn long ago the musket & pike dual pack made the cut

2016 I think. I p500ed it at the same time as 1846 first printing.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

GMT just sucks complete loving rear end when it comes to project management.

Meanwhile....

No Motherland Without
October 26, 2020 -- Compass Games announces upcoming Kickstarter campaign
December 30, 2020 - Kickstarter Campaign begins
February 10, 2021 - Game arrives in mail

Eh, Compass has an incredibly patchy record when it comes to delivering balanced and well developed games, so I'm not really sure they're a good exapmle here.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

tomdidiot posted:

Eh, Compass has an incredibly patchy record when it comes to delivering balanced and well developed games, so I'm not really sure they're a good exapmle here.

Yeah, in the p500s, i don't really care if they're late because they don't charge until they're about to ship anyway. It's way more consumer-favorable than kickstarter.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Since I last checked, MMP has added BCS Panzers Last Stand to preorders :toot:

Also OCS Third Winter but I’m less excited about that because 2800 counters

Both reached the goal already too

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What is the vietnam game like? Worth investing in?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I just bought Next War: Vietnam and I'm thinking of doing both a review of the rules and potentially a small AAR of me playing solo, anyone interested in reading someone's first look of the Next War series?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

I just bought Next War: Vietnam and I'm thinking of doing both a review of the rules and potentially a small AAR of me playing solo, anyone interested in reading someone's first look of the Next War series?

Always!

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Tekopo posted:

:justpost:

What’s the premise of the game, China invades Vietnam?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yes, a modern chinese invasion of Vietnam. There are several different scenarios that try to model different levels of either strategic or tactical surprise, so the fictional casus belli can range from a fishing boat getting blown up (strategic surprise) to just tensions over the South China Sea/Spratleys boiling over (standard scenarios), or tensions boiling over but the Chinese attacking before the Vietnamese have mobilised properly (tactical surprise).

The sides are China versus (potentially) a Coalition. The coalition is made up of Vietnam, and they can decided on a level of US intervention, which ranges from no intervention at all, to providing supplies and training, to just providing air/sea support, all the way down to boots on the ground, with each level costing VPs. The intervention level can go up, but only in very limited way. There are also rules for Vietnam asking Commonwealth or even French units to assist. There are also neutral countries like Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia or the Phillippines that can enter the war on either side (although most of them are weighted to join one side over the other).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The vp level for intervention sounds interesting, do any other games do that sort of thing other than the one that obviously springs to my mind, NT?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

silvergoose posted:

The vp level for intervention sounds interesting, do any other games do that sort of thing other than the one that obviously springs to my mind, NT?

The intervention vs vps tradeoff is a Next War staple and is a feature of all of the games. It can also be rolled for randomly if you like. Both games also contain variants that use VP additions to balance, for example, adding all-F22 units for the US player(normally they're simulated as additions to the F-15 units due to their low quantities).

India-Pakistan has interventions for both sides, with Pakistan being able to get Chinese intervention and the Indians either getting US or Russian intervention at varying levels. Usually, US and Russian intervention is mutually exclusive, but there is a scenario where India gets all the toys and they're invading Pakistan to get at the WMDs.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of NWIP how the gently caress do you invade Kashmir as Pakistan, it seems impossible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Panzeh posted:

The intervention vs vps tradeoff is a Next War staple and is a feature of all of the games. It can also be rolled for randomly if you like. Both games also contain variants that use VP additions to balance, for example, adding all-F22 units for the US player(normally they're simulated as additions to the F-15 units due to their low quantities).

India-Pakistan has interventions for both sides, with Pakistan being able to get Chinese intervention and the Indians either getting US or Russian intervention at varying levels. Usually, US and Russian intervention is mutually exclusive, but there is a scenario where India gets all the toys and they're invading Pakistan to get at the WMDs.

Ah, cool. Makes me much more interested in the series, tbh. Not that I have time or opponents.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It does seem to add some replayability to the game themselves, since the shape of the conflict would be changed drastically depending on how many toys you get.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Tias posted:

What is the vietnam game like? Worth investing in?

Didn’t someone play through an attack to show how the system works earlier in the thread? Seemed neat, Vietnam 1965-1975 might be more game than I can get to the table right now but it’s not like that hasn’t stopped me before.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Ah, cool. Makes me much more interested in the series, tbh. Not that I have time or opponents.

time is def something you will need. for advanced rules the SOP is laid out with rules refs so its very easy to step through the turn phases. otoh there is a LOT to do each turn, particularly early where both sides have many missiles, airstrikes, special forces ops, hacking etc it goes on for a while.

each turn brings more attrition (this is a very bloody game) so a few turns in that all settles down a bit.

the good news is its extremely solo friendly and if u can vassal it has nice modules.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Mighty Eris posted:

Didn’t someone play through an attack to show how the system works earlier in the thread? Seemed neat, Vietnam 1965-1975 might be more game than I can get to the table right now but it’s not like that hasn’t stopped me before.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3564278&pagenumber=404&perpage=40#post508465416

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3564278&pagenumber=404&perpage=40#post508499413

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Mighty Eris posted:

Linku? Can't find it

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Tias posted:

Linku? Can't find it

Right above your post. Turned out to only be two pages back - thought it was older than that but that’s pandemic brain for you.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright then!

New War: Vietnam

I am slowly making my way through the Standard And Advanced Rules, so this bit will mostly cover my thoughts about the standardised ruleset that is provided for the entire series. Next War splits the rules within Standard rules, and Advanced rules. I can understand the impetus for doing this, since it allows players to get into the game a lot more quickly and easily than if there was one solid, unified ruleset that you had to use completely in order to play: OCS has one unified ruleset, but still allows players to access the game relatively quickly by providing campaigns that require fewer systems in order to work. For example, it is possible to play something like Reluctant Enemies or Tunisia II while being completely unaware of how supply extenders work, or anything to do with naval combat beyond the need to ship things to ports. I usually dislike standard/advanced rule dichotomies for a variety of reasons: they make it difficult to read the rules (especially the advanced rules) as a whole, and require a lot of "wait, how did this work in the standard rule?" issues, as well as having to work out what is used only in standard versus advanced. Another issue is that the standard game can make the entire gameplay a bit too simplistic and modify the modelling of the conflict enough to make it uninteresting to play. From reading the Standard rules, I believe that both of these issues are present for Next War.

The Standard Game

Reading through the combat, I feel that a lot of inspiration for the rules was based on OCS, and there are a few striking similarities, although just as many differences. Units within NW have offensive values, defensive values (I actually like the distinction between offensive and defensive values, which is largely omitted from OCS) and movement rates. Like OCS, movement can be either leg, motorised or mechanised movement, although there is also the presence of airmobile-type units (ie helicopters), as well as the possibility of moving any leg unit using airmobile means, which adds a distinct modern flavour to the game. Like in OCS, different types of terrain affect different types of movements, with (for example) movement in mountainous areas being impossible for motor/mech movement units apart from being able to use roads. Unlike OCS, there is no ability to change units from a combat to a movement mode: that single movement is what you get.

Units also have an Efficiency Rating (ER), which is more or less the equivalent of an Action Rating. ER can be used to perform ER checks, where under specific conditions you need to roll under your ER or bad things happen to your units: I always like mechanisms that reflect the qualatitive difference within units apart from simply granting better units higher offensive/defensive rating, so their inclusion within NW is appreciated.

Units can also have a number of steps, although this is usually limited to 1 or 2 steps. When a 2 step unit is reduced, it flips over to its 1 step side, and any further reduction eliminates the unit, although depending on the scenario, it has the ability ot come back later, or regain a step if it is reduced and still on the board.

The presence of other units is rather limited, at least within the Standard game. Helicopter units are simply there to provide ground support, while potentially being subject to Air Defence Fire (ADF) if they do so. The entire air war is abstracted down to the use of "Air Points", which are given to you at the start of a turn and are used up in ground support actions and other missions, while also helping to determine who has air superiority. So all of those pretty aircraft counters that they come with? Well, they aren't used at all. Might as well throw them away if you are just going to play the Standard game. I think this can be one of the reasons why the Standard game might end up feeling like a mere tutorial: after all, wargamers love their toys and having units with stats that you can't actually does create a "we aren't playing the game the way it is intended to be played" feeling.

The last type of unit are naval units: largely, these can't actually be removed when playing using the Standard rules, and the way they interact with the scenarios is highly abstracted. This is somewhat true for the Advanced game as well, but there are some differences.

Enemy Zones of Control (EZOCs) are semi-sticky. Moving into them stops movement and costs more Movements Points, moving out of them costs an extra MP as well, and moving from EZOC to EZOC costs your entire movement (so there's no laying carpets or semi-fluid EZOCs like in OCS). There is an exception to this, in that some leg units are termed as Light Infantry, and are therefore able to ignore EZOCs and basically do as they please. Although EZOCs are stickier than they would be within OCS, even within the standard game I feel the front-lines are less well defined: partly due to presence of LI, and partly due to the presence of airmobile transport and semi-reliable airbourne units. Striking rear areas is much easier than it would be in OCS, which does make sense in terms of the capabilities of modern armies, but the standard game doesn't push this far enough, and this is largely due to the fact that Standard does not have supply rules (unless you choose to include optional supply rules that introduce a basic trace supply to the game), or any kind of rear-echelon supply or HQ units.

Before we talk about how combat is conducted in the game, let's first analyse the turn structure. Turn structure is different between the Standard and Advanced game, although the bare bones of one are present in the other. In standard, this is the turn sequence:

- Weather determination: pretty standard stuff, rough weather limits the possibilities for air and airmobile missions, along with naval units.
- Supply: Optional, but it's basically checking for trace supply and placing units OOS if they aren't.
- Initiative/Air/Naval: Initiative is an interesting part of the game. Initiative is usually determined by VP differential for the previous turn (with the first turn usually having a pre-determined player having the initiative, potentially for a specific number of turns). It is possible for either player to have the initiative, or for the turn to be contested. As well as determining initiative, this phase deals with the abstractions for air and naval control.
- Initiative movement/combat: This phase only occurs if the turn is not contested. The initiative player gets to move all of his troops and fight with them, then the non-initiative player can react with high ER units not in EZOCS,, then the initiative player gets to exploit, which is just standard movement but with any units not in EZOCs, then gets to perform Exploitation combat (with a negative modifier). After all that, the non-initiative player can finally move all his units and fight with them.
- Basic movement/combat: This phase happens both in initiative turns and contested ones. Both players (with initiative player first) get to move and fight as standard.
- Reorganisation: Basic upkeep
- Reinforcements/Replacements: does what it says on the tin.
- Victory Determination: idem.

I kind of like this turn structure: it allows players with momentum to potentially trike twice before an opponent can react, and then once more, and portrays both the presence of high-intensity combat along with potential lulls where neither side has the upper hand.

Having explained the turn structure, lets turn to combat: Combat is quite standard, in that there are no overruns, and penetration is instead modelled using the turn structure above. You start attacks much like any front-pusher: attackers can attack a single hex with many hexes, there's always a single defending hex, etcetera etcetera. One noteworthy feature is that you always round down odds, but the attacker can get a dice roll modifier (DRM) if they are forced to round down, which causes less of a sting and still allows simulation of odds outside of the strict columns. They can also potentially get this DRM if they are above 7 to 1 odds. Terrain effects, much like in OCS, affect combat values, with things like rivers or bridge attacks having the attack values halved, for example.

The Combat Result Table (CRT) works in much the same way as OCS: you look at the type of terrain the defending hex is in, you cross-reference to the odds ratio, and then potentially you column shift depending on different factors, foremost of which is the ER: each side chooses a leading unit (much like in OCS) which lends its ER and also determines who takes first casualties, and then the difference between ERs leads to column shifts left or right depending on who has the highest ER. This is both more and less drastic than the way that OCS handles qualitative differences in combat. Exploitation combat also always has two column shifts in favour of the defender, no matter what, representing units being less combat-effective in the mad rush to exploit the opponent.

Once the column is determined, the attacker can use air points, helicopters and other support units to provide DRMs, with the defender being able to do the same to counter those DRMs (although the attacker usually can select more of them). DRMs are also present for terrain or specific unit types, or if you are circling your opponent etc. Once both players have said what assets they want to use to help attack/defend, you roll for ADF and hope that those points aren't wasted. Finally, you roll on the table and see what result you get!

So the combat itself has some things which are reminiscent of OCS, which is no bad thing.

Although the system above seems workable, and would be a pretty decent system for many less complex wargame, in terms of what the series is trying to do, it does feel like it reduces the game to a mere front-pusher with some interesting additional mechanisms. It misses out on a lot of aspects, however, that truly colour what modern war could potentially be like: the use of targeted strikes, disruptions of supplies, the potential for infiltration behind the lines, Special Operation Forces. I haven't tried the Standard system yet, but I think a system based purely on the rules above would not be as interesting as I would have hoped.

Anyway, in the next installment, I will analyse the Advanced rules, mostly noting the chief differences between them and the Standard rules.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Goon megagame of Next War Korea where the goons are the DPRK decision making body for the war

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Goon megagame of Next War Korea where the goons are the DPRK decision making body for the war
I'm doooown. We can do a linked campaign with NW: Taiwan and NW: Vietnam as well!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its worth noting the air game in NW series is its own minigame. I love, love, love the air game rules.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I'm starting to read Advanced rules and it is qualming a lot of apprehensions I have about the system already. The Standard rules are workable, but really feel like a tutorial where they take half of your toys away. Just not that appealing.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I have Taiwan, India - Pakistan and Poland, but I've only played some smaller standard game scenarios :negative:. The advanced rules are just SO MUCH, I get scared off even though the advanced game is basically why I bought them. Taiwan is especially intimidating for the chinese side because you basically have to use every piece of every system in order to be effective on turn 1 and flubbing that turn seems like it would make the rest of the game very difficult.

I keep having to talk myself down from buying the Korea reprint and Vietnam despite the fact that I basically never play wargames anymore, even solo, because the series is so drat cool.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I've been wanting to get into hex and counter wargames for a while but I always feel intimidated by some of these rules sets. :smith:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Play Advanced Squad Leader

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Play Advanced Squad Leader

That's like rules intimidator extraordinaire.

Honestly, the best H&C games to start with are the Simonitch '4x games (e.g. Normandy '44), or A Victory Lost.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

I've been wanting to get into hex and counter wargames for a while but I always feel intimidated by some of these rules sets. :smith:

India/Pakistan was my first wargame. It is a lot to chew on but dont be afraid. Its pretty accesible with patience and rules lookups. I wanted a game with nukes tbh and got a whole lot more.

there are a shitload of rules explanations and playthroughs for all of them on youtube too.

Phi230 posted:

Its worth noting the air game in NW series is its own minigame. I love, love, love the air game rules.

also this. this part is excellent. the way it all hangs together and have the aircraft facing off at all these different approaches and stages is amazingly fluid.

e: the air game tells the best stories too. there is always that lovely rated pilot in an old-gen plane that pulls fuckin top gun poo poo every turn and causes enemy aborts/step losses. its awesome

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 11, 2021

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

tomdidiot posted:

That's like rules intimidator extraordinaire.

Honestly, the best H&C games to start with are the Simonitch '4x games (e.g. Normandy '44), or A Victory Lost.

Yeah, I was able to teach two people who'd never played a game like this how to play Normandy '44 and play the tournament scenario (with them splitting the allies and me as germans) in an afternoon. Did that on D-Day a couple years ago, I should try to set that up again. I've got Holland '44 too, but haven't punched it. Somewhere along the line my will to clip and sort counters kinda vanished so any game I've gotten since then has just collected dust. My motivation to unfold the rest of my table and haul out the plexi to finally tackle Next War advanced is growing as we speak though.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Sleekly posted:

India/Pakistan was my first wargame. It is a lot to chew on but dont be afraid. Its pretty accesible with patience and rules lookups. I wanted a game with nukes tbh and got a whole lot more.

there are a shitload of rules explanations and playthroughs for all of them on youtube too.

I own NW: I/P :v:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

I own NW: I/P :v:

yeah! no naval stuff!

I/P is probably the entry point one just for that reason. naval stuff is NOT the slick experience you get for most of the rest of the game. but its managable still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Next War's air system kind of resembles a sane person's take on GDW's Fulda Gap games and it's no surprise that Chadwick and Emrich use it for their big ww2 games, too.