Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im saying the actual 2 generation old 1080ti would probably sell well today. The 3070 ended up being pretty close and at almost the same theoretical msrp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

The primary reason was to get him to stop being a scalper by threatening him to lose his clearance potentially if there was something legit illegal. So many people in the area have clearances to do their jobs here most folks are pretty drat straight laced outside leadership positions

:chloe:

This is, uh, kinda weird / a bit much for the thread here. Lets steer away from potential doxxing / personally targeting people over GPUs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

please do not cyberstalk dudes over gpus, it isn't worth it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah and stopping one scalper to improve GPU supply is like trying to reduce the fly population by going outside with a swatter.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
But if we form a mob and start lynching all scalpers..... theres power in numbers, pure hearted gamer brother

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Gamers rise up

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
But the bed is soft and warm

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I always find it funny when people get so mad at scalpers when every step of the chain is scalping these cards themselves. Nvidia could easily out in rules to control pricing and they're not. All the AIBs are making mostly the highest tier cards that offer minimal advantages but cost hundreds more, finally the retail stores are charging hundreds over MSRP... So why are scalpers innherintly evil and these other players are not?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

gee, i wonder why people get more mad at people they can see or interact with over faceless businesses or middlemen

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Scalpers also don't have PR departments blaming tariffs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also because the graphics card company provides a useful service (manufacturing the cards) and so do the stores to some extent (stocking the cards so they are conveniently available) (lol).

scalpers provide no service at all. they do nothing but sit in the middle and suck up money while making the entire process more frustrating. they're parasites

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, which is unlike live events where I can at least appreciate the brass balls of ticket scalpers who are usually just trying to make a bunch of last minute money off people who didn't plan ahead.

If the proper retail pipeline for computer parts worked like Ticketmaster my opinion on GPU scalpers would probably be different.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Kunabomber posted:

will this charge my phone while i'm waiting in line at microcenter

https://i.imgur.com/sZaLXKR.mp4

lol at the guy pissing against the building in the background

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I got a 3060ti like 2 weeks ago. I settled. Could have bought the 3090 but in my head I just couldn't justify paying 2k for a card even though I could have. EU prices for what its worth. 3080 I've never seen available. 3070 if you ever do see it its from some manufacturer I don't especially trust with 800 euros.

Anyhow the 3060ti is pretty good for now. The most demanding game I have is Cyberpunk and the framerate varies a lot (50-80) with rt and dlss but that seems to mostly be due to the game being in the state its still in. The only other thing I have installed with ray tracing is Metro last light. That goes 80-100+ fps with all the bells and whistles on. Haven't reinstalled Control.

My general trip report would be that unless the game is amusingly lacking optimisation the 3060ti is fine for just about anything 1080p. I mostly care about fps and I have a high refresh rate monitor for that. Its more important to me that everything is perfectly smooth than crystaline clear. Obviously that's personal preference. If in 6 months the 3080 or 3070 somehow become more broadly available I'll get one and send the 3060 on to a buddy of mine who's not upgrading otherwise but its a very good card unless you want like 4k gaming.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Nothus posted:

lol at the guy pissing against the building in the background

he's not pissing

the official pee spot is actually around the corner in the back of the building - there's a cutout for a transformer

but really with a denny's, walmart, and a gas station (that doesn't care as long as you buy a stick of gum) within walking distance, there's no drat reason to piss in public

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
As far as the graphics power issue - my criteria was to have a solid 60 fps experience playing Destiny 2 in 4K ultra, and the 3070 just doesn't have enough juice to sustain that. 3080 is just right.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's going to be a long couple years for anyone into gaming

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/sony-shipped-4-5m-ps5s-in-2020-but-is-struggling-to-speed-up-production/

quote:

Sony says semiconductor shortage makes increased PS5 production difficult

"It is difficult for us to increase production of the PS5 amid the shortage of semiconductors and other components," Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki said during a briefing accompanying the results. "We have not been able to fully meet the high level of demand from customers [but] we continue to do everything in our power to ship as many units as possible to customers who are waiting for a PS5."

i'm kinda amazed at how brittle global supply chains are - i'm looking at getting a foldable city bike (e.g., Brompton) and there's apparently a worldwide run on good citybikes where actual prices are >50% above MSRP and scalpers are crowding out the queue system for direct purchases

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I scalped a sports ticket once through eBay, but it was because I bought it the day they went on sale to get perfect seats and then as months passed and the day drew nearer realized that the travel budget was beyond me.

Retailers buy enough cards from Nvidia that they can justify shipping costs from point of manufacture, so you who just wants one single card and doesn't want to SLI 50 of them together can buy what you want. Scalpers only provide the service of breaking their own monopolistic embargo.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

shrike82 posted:

it's going to be a long couple years for anyone into gaming

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/02/sony-shipped-4-5m-ps5s-in-2020-but-is-struggling-to-speed-up-production/

i'm kinda amazed at how brittle global supply chains are - i'm looking at getting a foldable city bike (e.g., Brompton) and there's apparently a worldwide run on good citybikes where actual prices are >50% above MSRP and scalpers are crowding out the queue system for direct purchases

Bikes, weights, computers; all hosed. I went to go buy a cheapo kayak recently and the shelves were bare. Basically if you can do it on your own or at home and it just requires a bit of cash, its out of stock.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yep, people got really bored and with Americans getting free loving money they have even more spending power than all of us other countries.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Finally snagged a Zotac 3080 :unsmith:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

my kinda ape posted:

I’ll buy it at a high price

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
After having no luck finding a 3090-model card at a reasonable price, I broke down and bought a prebuilt system by ABS, from NewEgg, that came equipped with an Asus Strix 3090 White edition, an Asus motherboard, and the remaining parts and case mostly from Corsair. After delivery I checked the cables were seated, and was relieved the system posted on power-up, as my biggest concern was it would be damaged during shipping.

I priced out the individual parts in the build, and figured I paid a $300 premium compared to getting the individual components myself. But the Strix runs about $3400 scalped, so if I instead had bought a scalped Strix and built the system myself I would have paid an extra $800 over the NewEgg system price.

The NewEgg prebuilder subsidiary is called ABS (Advanced Battle Stations).
https://www.abs.com/
Note some of their higher-end models (like the Legend, which I bought) are only featured on NewEgg, or NewEgg's ebay store, and not on the ABS site for some reason.

The point is that NewEgg is not putting all their GPU stock on their site, and instead funneling some GPUs to their prebuilt systems And in these prebuilt systems NewEgg does not appear to be marking up the GPUs to the scalper prices. NewEgg also had a listing for my system on eBay and claimed they had 10+ units to sell. They are all sold out now, but the NewEgg site has a new ABS model already available using an new Asus mid-tower case this time.

Here's the new Legend model listing on NewEgg's ebay store. It's a similar configuration to my Legend, but it has an additional 32GB RAM and a 360MM liquid cooling system, while the version I bought only had a 240mm liquid cooler and 32GB RAM.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-Legend...gIAAOSw0Z1frSHX

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

my kinda ape posted:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

nnnotime posted:

After having no luck finding a 3090-model card at a reasonable price, I broke down and bought a prebuilt system by ABS, from NewEgg, that came equipped with an Asus Strix 3090 White edition, an Asus motherboard, and the remaining parts and case mostly from Corsair. After delivery I checked the cables were seated, and was relieved the system posted on power-up, as my biggest concern was it would be damaged during shipping.

I priced out the individual parts in the build, and figured I paid a $300 premium compared to getting the individual components myself. But the Strix runs about $3400 scalped, so if I instead had bought a scalped Strix and built the system myself I would have paid an extra $800 over the NewEgg system price.

The NewEgg prebuilder subsidiary is called ABS (Advanced Battle Stations).
https://www.abs.com/
Note some of their higher-end models (like the Legend, which I bought) are only featured on NewEgg, or NewEgg's ebay store, and not on the ABS site for some reason.

The point is that NewEgg is not putting all their GPU stock on their site, and instead funneling some GPUs to their prebuilt systems And in these prebuilt systems NewEgg does not appear to be marking up the GPUs to the scalper prices. NewEgg also had a listing for my system on eBay and claimed they had 10+ units to sell. They are all sold out now, but the NewEgg site has a new ABS model already available using an new Asus mid-tower case this time.

Here's the new Legend model listing on NewEgg's ebay store. It's a similar configuration to my Legend, but it has an additional 32GB RAM and a 360MM liquid cooling system, while the version I bought only had a 240mm liquid cooler and 32GB RAM.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-Legend...gIAAOSw0Z1frSHX

Oh my dear god $5000

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shipon posted:

Oh my dear god $5000

people are losing their GOD drat MINDS

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:holymoley:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Are there any water cooled 3080s or 3070s out there for not insane prices?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Are there any water cooled 3080s or 3070s out there for not insane prices?

Get in line.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shipon posted:

Oh my dear god $5000

That's insane. I've spent close to $2000 or so on my current system, but that's including a new monitor and 2070 Super on top of all-new everything.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

I was looking more for the hydro copper but that's not available for notifying :(

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Taking a second look at the parts and to be fair to that price, the motherboard is like $500 and the ram another $500 so it's actually not all that awful, but it still amounts to probably a 800-1000 dollar markup on the 3090 depending on what you consider is a fair premium for a prebuild compared with building your own.

Is there any point to these motherboards that cost $500 over one that costs, say, $250 or so?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
out of curiosity, and acknowledging that a "gaming laptop" isn't ever really going to be comparable to a desktop rig, what's the gaming laptop market like these days? is buying something with a discrete mobile GPU going to subject you to scalper prices, or are they going to hit MSRP?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

out of curiosity, and acknowledging that a "gaming laptop" isn't ever really going to be comparable to a desktop rig, what's the gaming laptop market like these days? is buying something with a discrete mobile GPU going to subject you to scalper prices, or are they going to hit MSRP?

AFAIK they are going for MSRP but good luck getting one. I’ve seen some decent deals pop up on slick deals but they are gone quick AF.

The miners are absolutely buying all they can of them as well.

There are other issues with the laptops as well but that’s another can of worms. Most notably a 3060 running as fast as a 3070 because of how the maker set the thing up. It seems like they are all over the place.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is surprisingly still in stock

https://www.costco.com/msi-gf75-thin-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-3060---144hz-1080p.product.100736982.html

Reading through that SD post they are saying it has a seriously crippled GPU that a 2070 beats.

No idea how true that is but :shrug:

It’s not as simple as getting a laptop with a 30 series and calling it good.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 11, 2021

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

This is surprisingly still in stock

https://www.costco.com/msi-gf75-thin-gaming-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-10750h---geforce-rtx-3060---144hz-1080p.product.100736982.html

Reading through that SD post they are saying it has a seriously crippled GPU that a 2070 beats.

No idea how true that is but :shrug:

It’s not as simple as getting a laptop with a 30 series and calling it good.

It's a laptop. Laptop cooling capabilities mean that the cpu and gpu have to fit inside about 75w. They allocate about 35w to the cpu and the rest to the GPU.

A lot of things will beat that laptop performance wise in the desktop space.

There are one off stupid builds by like Sager and Clevo etc, but if you're looking at that msi laptop you can't afford the ones I mentioned.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 11, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

orange juche posted:

It's a laptop. Laptop cooling capabilities mean that the cpu and gpu have to fit inside about 75w. They allocate about 35w to the cpu and the rest to the GPU.

A lot of things will beat that laptop performance wise in the desktop space.

There are one off stupid builds by like Sager and Clevo etc that use desktop parts in a (bulky as gently caress) laptop shell and a beefy power brick, but if you're looking at that msi laptop you can't afford the ones I mentioned.

I’m specifically talking about other laptops.

The 3060 in that one is super slow.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I’m specifically talking about other laptops.

The 3060 in that one is super slow.

3060s aren't quick. I think the desktop version got a review of "well, it's a GPU, we guess"

The 3060Ti is plenty quick but unobtainable, much like loving everything in the GPU space. I could sell my loving 980Ti I bought 6? years ago for more than 50% of its sale price.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 11, 2021

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Are they actually manufacturing 3080 cards? I never see them drop on stock drop discords. It would make sense for nvidia to focus on the other cards which make them more money than the 3080 which is good value for money (at msrp anyway)

Lots of 3090s dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

3080 is the most desirable of the 30 range. They're being made but everyone and their mother wants one so they're being snapped up immediately. The 3090 is slightly easier to find because it's more expensive.