Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's pretty much space sociology and philosophy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnFh-FLjSrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW3YB2ptGws&t=3s

SmokaDustbowl fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry it's not as simple as star trek, but I guess it might be like nightmare deep space 9

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I'll read it when I'm done children of dune. it will be nice to return to someone who is capable of writing a reasonable sentence in English

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

I'll read it when I'm done children of dune. it will be nice to return to someone who is capable of writing a reasonable sentence in English

poo poo is fuckin real heavy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I don't want to sound pretentious but the concept of "the dark forest" fucks me off hard lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's very lovecraftian gods, in that human species morals aren't universe morals

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I don't want to sound pretentious but the concept of "the dark forest" fucks me off hard lol

in what way do you mean that because i'm having trouble parsing intent here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

in what way do you mean that because i'm having trouble parsing intent here

it's terrifying

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
if your civilisation advances enough to broadcast into space you're loving dead

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
resources are limited in the universe the same way they are on a planet, so the minute you advertise your civilisation the big boys come to eat you up

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

LOOK CLOSER STILGAR

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I really don't get the hype about three body problem. The premise is interesting enough and the first book is ok at times, but so much of the plot is insanely dumb and feels very calvinball

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

I really don't get the hype about three body problem. The premise is interesting enough and the first book is ok at times, but so much of the plot is insanely dumb and feels very calvinball

how so?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

resources are limited in the universe the same way they are on a planet, so the minute you advertise your civilisation the big boys come to eat you up

so the idea of unpleasant aliens is obviously not new and famous physicists and astronomers have talked about the value of remaining invisible before.

the issue i have is that it seems like the universe is just real big and full of stuff. anyone who has the capacity to travel interstellar distance isn't going to have issues finding the resources they need close to home. the only real point to come this way would be to a.) prevent other civilizations from growing, not because they're using resources but because you fear them potentially growing sufficiently powerful to harm your own civilization or b.) they just get their jollies by enslaving folks, or something

anyway it's an interesting concept but it just requires a lot of hand waving (which is fine, it's sci-fi, but also not worth taking any more seriously than any other sci-fi book)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y'all are really spoiling poo poo for three body problem, it's kind of a dick move

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The clearly defined factions and cheese wire ship trap were one thing, but "super powerful sub atomic particle sized drone which can control people's minds" took it to another level

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

y'all are really spoiling poo poo for three body problem, it's kind of a dick move

There's like one interesting reveal and the rest are super groan worthy, mostly done by thinly disguised exposition dumps

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

so the idea of unpleasant aliens is obviously not new and famous physicists and astronomers have talked about the value of remaining invisible before.

the issue i have is that it seems like the universe is just real big and full of stuff. anyone who has the capacity to travel interstellar distance isn't going to have issues finding the resources they need close to home. the only real point to come this way would be to a.) prevent other civilizations from growing, not because they're using resources but because you fear them potentially growing sufficiently powerful to harm your own civilization or b.) they just get their jollies by enslaving folks, or something

this is one issue, you're anthropomorphising alien cultures, right? also the big problem is that the universe is big, but it's not full of stuff. you've got a star trek style attitude of warp drives and whatnot

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

The clearly defined factions and cheese wire ship trap were one thing, but "super powerful sub atomic particle sized drone which can control people's minds" took it to another level

the sophons can't control people's minds which is a major plot point, and the main purpose of them is to fully stop advanced particle physics

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rewatching shin godzilla tonight and it's even better the second time around

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

rewatching shin godzilla tonight and it's even better the second time around
the way the setting up of meeting rooms (fax machines, notepads, name plates, etc) is filmed like a michael bay action scene makes me laugh like a hyena every time

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

this is one issue, you're anthropomorphising alien cultures, right? also the big problem is that the universe is big, but it's not full of stuff. you've got a star trek style attitude of warp drives and whatnot

i'm not anthropomorphizing anything

i didn't even mention anything about warp drives or star trek, you just made that up; my point was that any civilization that has the wherewithal to reach across the universe and destroy alien cultures is going to be technologically savvy

i don't believe that individual civilizations are capable of existing on the sorts of time scales necessary (functional infinities) to run into the issue of all matter in the universe being in use

that's the only way this sort of resource scarcity works

otherwise there's nothing sufficiently distinctive about our solar system or greater stellar area to make coming here worthwhile unless they are explicitly interested in the lifeforms themselves

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 11, 2021

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

i don't believe that individual civilizations are capable of existing on the sorts of time scales necessary (functional infinities) to run into the issue of all matter in the universe being in use

why not? and even if you personally don't believe it, there could be civilisations of extraordinary advancement that belive this

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

because i don't get off on thinking about alien gods

and that's what that sort of thing is. if you're worried about controlling literally all matter in the entirety of the known universe (and potentially beyond, as the books describe), you're functional gods. i don't think that sort of thing is realistic, sorry

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i think the 3rd body problem books are immensely tedious and only enlivened by the weird cultural revolution stuff in the beginning of the first book.

first two anyway i aint readin any more of em

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

because i don't get off on thinking about alien gods

and that's what that sort of thing is. if you're worried about controlling literally all matter in the entirety of the known universe (and potentially beyond, as the books describe), you're functional gods. i don't think that sort of thing is realistic, sorry

who said anything about gods? you're anthropomorphizing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

and even if you personally don't believe it, there could be civilisations of extraordinary advancement that belive this

ok

this conversation isn't really going anywhere

i get it this book blew your mind because you'd never thought about evil aliens before

i don't think much of the philosophy in it is that interesting. it doesn't mean i don't get it. it doesn't mean i'm misinterpreting it. i just disagree with several of its fundamental premises. talking to you about this is like having a religious proselytizer demand to know why you don't believe in god

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

who said anything about gods? you're anthropomorphizing

no, i'm not

i'm drawing a parallel between two concepts, stop using that word

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

ok

this conversation isn't really going anywhere

i get it this book blew your mind because you'd never thought about evil aliens before

i don't think much of the philosophy in it is that interesting. it doesn't mean i don't get it. it doesn't mean i'm misinterpreting it. i just disagree with several of its fundamental premises. talking to you about this is like having a religious proselytizer demand to know why you don't believe in god

you really actually don't get it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it seems a bit weird to be more worried about the slightly-hairy apes turning insignificant quantities of iron ore into iron metal than you are about the giant nuclear fireball next to them turning immense quantities of hydrogen into iron, or the immense throng of other nuclear fireballs in the galaxy/galactic group/supercluster/etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you really actually don't get it

lol oh my god

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you are arguing science fiction with smoka. think about it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

lol oh my god

you're the one who brought up gods

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

think about it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

you are arguing science fiction with smoka. think about it

yeah clearly my mistake

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jabor posted:

it seems a bit weird to be more worried about the slightly-hairy apes turning insignificant quantities of iron ore into iron metal than you are about the giant nuclear fireball next to them turning immense quantities of hydrogen into iron, or the immense throng of other nuclear fireballs in the galaxy/galactic group/supercluster/etc.

Stars are stars, they are ultimately predictable - Apes, you take your eyestalks off them for a millenium or two while you make a coffee and they are knocking on every sphere in the galactic arm wanting you to join their Federation with ideas about 'sharing'. Yeah no, anything makes a Hello World signal that you notice, you make sure they never leave their system with extreme prejudice just in case.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you're the one who brought up gods

any sufficiently advanced technology race is indistinguishable from magic gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Stars are stars, they are ultimately predictable - Apes, you take your eyestalks off them for a millenium or two while you make a coffee and they are knocking on every sphere in the galactic arm wanting you to join their Federation with ideas about 'sharing'. Yeah no, anything makes a Hello World signal that you notice, you make sure they never leave their system with extreme prejudice just in case.

I think this kind of assumes that alien life is at least a little bit similar to us. Thinking about something like Solaris - whose to say their form or motivations are even understandable by us?