Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Manager Hoyden posted:

I dug my 3DS out again and it's become my new time killing machine at work.

What are some good time sink games for this thing? Maybe ones that might have flown under my radar?
Shiren the Wanderer is a fun roguelike with jars in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Looking for more suggestions.
  • Couch Co-Op: 2 player game with full controller support
  • On Steam or Humble (no Epic account)
  • Unlikely to induce motion sickness (not first person / twitchy)
  • Chill is preferable but not mandatory (I don't think we're going to do Overcooked? Maybe will do Moving Out when it's on sale.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

STREETS OF RAGE!!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

exquisite tea posted:

STREETS OF RAGE!!

Yes, absolutely this. Streets of Rage 4 is loving dope and the perfect couch game.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hi thread! I'm looking for a relaxing game with a creative element to it (mainly building/decoration, but other elements like painting or photography are also welcome). It can either be focused on the creative part or have it as an aside to whatever the game's mainly about, but its creative mode should be beefy enough to give a lot of freedom (i.e. not just a paint-by-the-numbers system) and sink a lot of hours into it. Basically I've been playing a lot of modded/textured minecraft and I've been feeling a bit constrained by the limitations of the whole voxel system.
Some pointers re: games I've already played:
  • I really enjoyed building bases in Starbound, but for some reason the game's always lagged on me, so ideally something that runs a bit better? I know Terraria's better than Starbound in a lot of ways, but its building mode seems less varied and I like Starbound's aesthetic better.
  • Big Stardew Valley fan, but ideally something where I can go hog wild with home decor right from the start?
  • The concept behind House Flipper is nice, but it looks kinda ugly and there's not a lot of stuff to choose from.
  • Sims 4 is ok, but I don't like that half the stuff I want is locked in a million different DLCs, and browsing the web for the perfect CC is a chore. Having the chance to build something in a bigger scale than the fairly small lots would also be nice.
  • Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo seem to have extremely versatile building systems, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to run either of them (and the price tag's a bit high, especially considering I'd probably not play the actual game much and just focus on building).

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 7, 2021

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Maybe Block'hood?

it's still kinda voxel-y but it's a very different approach than something like Minecraft

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Space Engineers

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SexyBlindfold posted:

Hi thread! I'm looking for a relaxing game with a creative element to it (mainly building/decoration, but other elements like painting or photography are also welcome). It can either be focused on the creative part or have it as an aside to whatever the game's mainly about, but its creative mode should be beefy enough to give a lot of freedom (i.e. not just a paint-by-the-numbers system) and sink a lot of hours into it. Basically I've been playing a lot of modded/textured minecraft and I've been feeling a bit constrained by the limitations of the whole voxel system.
  • I really enjoyed building bases in Starbound, but for some reason the game's always lagged on me, so ideally something that runs a bit better? I know Terraria's better than Starbound in a lot of ways, but its building mode seems less varied and I like Starbound's aesthetic better.
  • Big Stardew Valley fan, but ideally something where I can go hog wild with home decor right from the start?
  • The concept behind House Flipper is nice, but it looks kinda ugly and there's not a lot of stuff to choose from.
  • Sims 4 is ok, but I don't like that half the stuff I want is locked in a million different DLCs, and browsing the web for the perfect CC is a chore. Having the chance to build something in a bigger scale than the fairly small lots would also be nice.
  • Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo seem to have extremely versatile building systems, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to run either of them (and the price tag's a bit high, especially considering I'd probably not play the actual game much and just focus on building).

Occupy White Walls. This one is free to boot.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SexyBlindfold posted:

Space Haven is an early access spaceship builder with ludicrous freedom to design your ship. I haven't played in a few patches because there was so much freedom it was stressing me out.

Cloud Gardens and Townscape are light experimental games. I've been told to mention Eastshade which is about being a painter but it's an "I heard of it" recommendation.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 7, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SexyBlindfold posted:

[*]Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo seem to have extremely versatile building systems, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to run either of them (and the price tag's a bit high, especially considering I'd probably not play the actual game much and just focus on building).
[/list]

So long as you’re ok with isometric view, Open Rollercoaster 2 is pretty amazing. You need the original but it’s cheap on gog. OpenRCT2 adds a ton of building blocks and assets, modern resolution support and a bunch of hacks to do stuff that wasn’t possible in the originals. It scratched the same itch I had for building in Starbound.

There’s also somehow a thriving community still making stuff for it which is nice for getting ideas and tutorials. Here’s a neat example of what’s possible now:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOxNB--XG0g&t=201s

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 7, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
What are some mystery/exploration games like Outer Wilds, Witness, Obra Dinn or Paradise killer, where you advance by figuring out how the world works and connecting information yourself?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

grate deceiver posted:

What are some mystery/exploration games like Outer Wilds, Witness, Obra Dinn or Paradise killer, where you advance by figuring out how the world works and connecting information yourself?

mmmmaybe the Occupation?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Subnautica?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Obduction was done by the folks who did the Myst series, so there's a lot of wandering around, examining mechanisms, and then fiddling with them until they do what you want them to.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Well, Obduction owns, I think it was exactly what I wanted

StrixNebulosa posted:

mmmmaybe the Occupation?

Looks kinda janky, but I like interesting ambitious jank, will check it out

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

grate deceiver posted:

Heaven's Vault made me feel extremely big-brained for piecing together a (fictional) ancient language bit by bit, maybe check that one out?
Her Story also fits the bill, imo, and Disco Elysium might not be an exact match (since deep down the main mystery is fairly linear) but the many ways in which the investigation can branch out according to your personality and choices helps to make it feel like the breakthroughs in the case are really your own, and they go hand in hand with learning about the world the game's set in.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

Heaven's Vault made me feel extremely big-brained for piecing together a (fictional) ancient language bit by bit, maybe check that one out?
Her Story also fits the bill, imo, and Disco Elysium might not be an exact match (since deep down the main mystery is fairly linear) but the many ways in which the investigation can branch out according to your personality and choices helps to make it feel like the breakthroughs in the case are really your own, and they go hand in hand with learning about the world the game's set in.

All very good recs, but I played them already. But thanks for reminding me of Heaven's Vault, I haven't actually finished that one.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fruits of the sea posted:

So long as you’re ok with isometric view, Open Rollercoaster 2 is pretty amazing. You need the original but it’s cheap on gog. OpenRCT2 adds a ton of building blocks and assets, modern resolution support and a bunch of hacks to do stuff that wasn’t possible in the originals. It scratched the same itch I had for building in Starbound.

There’s also somehow a thriving community still making stuff for it which is nice for getting ideas and tutorials. Here’s a neat example of what’s possible now:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOxNB--XG0g&t=201s

Is there a good "beginner's guide" for this game? I bought it for cheap sometime last year but I was just kind of...clicking stuff and I never managed to build any sustainable parks. Didn't grow up on it, so have no experience to go by.

I tried watching some tutorials but the ones I found are kind of "hardcore fan" territory and they immediately started terraforming and making big changes and zooming by the menus pretty quick and I couldn't keep up.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Is there any really good visual novels that are serious, not anime, and not noir?

Just thinking about games like Planescape: Torment and Disco Elysium and thinking I'd totally be up for just a visual novel version of those. But what I've seen in my time mostly ignoring the genre is that it's all anime or noir (both I'm not a fan of) or weird tongue-in-cheek stuff that I'm not in the mood for.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Phigs posted:

Is there any really good visual novels that are serious, not anime, and not noir?

Just thinking about games like Planescape: Torment and Disco Elysium and thinking I'd totally be up for just a visual novel version of those. But what I've seen in my time mostly ignoring the genre is that it's all anime or noir (both I'm not a fan of) or weird tongue-in-cheek stuff that I'm not in the mood for.

More a text game than a real visual novel, but I enjoyed Stories Untold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SokHO_XlMnk

Also check out Out There Chronicles (2 episodes so far) on mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THOswhmPZ0E

e: It seems like there are virtually no visual novels that aren't anime (besides Out There Chronicles and Love Thyself - A Horatio Story). Even the ones I would recommend (Zero Escape: the Nonary Games) are anime style. The closest to a visual novel that isn't anime would then be the adventure games from Telltale.

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 11, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phigs posted:

Eliza.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

How did I miss a Zachtronics visual novel? Thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Open Sourcery, too

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phigs posted:

428 Shibuya Scramble maybe, but Eliza and Open Sorcery are better recs

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Phigs posted:

How about some of the Telltale games? The first Telltale Walking Dead and the Telltale Batman games are pretty good. They're somewhere between point and click adventure games and visual novels, with occasional QTEs (though I think you can actually turn them off?) Avoid the Game of Thrones one, it has an even worse ending than the TV show. (The later seasons of Telltale Walking Dead are much more flawed, and I've never played the Back to the Future one myself, so I can't tell you much about it.)

In a similar vein, Life is Strange or Dyscourse?

Edit: THE YAWGH. I can't believe I forgot The Yawhg. I'm willing to bet it's exactly what you're looking for.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 11, 2021

Saintv77
Aug 5, 2008

Phigs posted:

Not to be confused with Open Sourcery suggested above, Sorcery is probably the best rpg style CYOA you can buy. High production values, absolutely massive and as it was released in parts you get the benefit of a game that was reiterated over two years for a very fair price.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Saintv77 posted:

Not to be confused with Open Sourcery suggested above, Sorcery is probably the best rpg style CYOA you can buy. High production values, absolutely massive and as it was released in parts you get the benefit of a game that was reiterated over two years for a very fair price.

Yeah, I'll second that Sorcery! is superb. They are currently all in this bundle for super cheap (if you can find two more titles there to hit the 5-game tier).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Artelier posted:

Is there a good "beginner's guide" for this game? I bought it for cheap sometime last year but I was just kind of...clicking stuff and I never managed to build any sustainable parks. Didn't grow up on it, so have no experience to go by.

I tried watching some tutorials but the ones I found are kind of "hardcore fan" territory and they immediately started terraforming and making big changes and zooming by the menus pretty quick and I couldn't keep up.

Making money isn't too hard once you get the hang of it. The game definitely expects players to read the manual, although the UI is pretty good once you figure it out.

-Crank up the prices on rollercoasters. Should easily be able to triple the price on a decent ride.
-Interest in a ride decays over time. For the cheap stuff like ferris wheels, you can just delete them and build anew once guests start getting bored. Rollercoasters decay more slowly, so its not as big an issue, though it can be a good idea idea to rebuild them occasionally to cut down on breakdowns.
-Excitement rating is good, brings more guests and lets you charge more. You can make rides more exciting by interweaving them or placing them so that a rollercoaster track runs through or very close to them. Or just place lots of decorative objects close to the tracks. Spamming trees at head height will make a big difference for a coaster.
-Intensity is not so good. Some guests won't like intense rides. The most they will tolerate is around 10 and they will puke everywhere.
-Put bathrooms by the exits of high intensity rides. Charge entry :v:
-Concession stands are good moneymakers but place them away from nausea inducing rides.
-Click on the guests and see if they need anything like benches or food in a given area. They will leave when they are unhappy, tired or run out of money.

Also check this out: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=RollerCoaster_Tycoon

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 11, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

John Murdoch posted:

I'm back with another bizarre request. Going all the way back to Super Mario Sunshine at the very least, something that I find tickles my brain is cleaning up goop. Unfortunately, SMS is about cleaning up goop for like 5% of its total gameplay. The next closest thing I can think of is Zerg creep (though I've never played Starcraft, just Zagara in Heroes of the Storm who uses that mechanic) where it's oddly satisfying to either paint the map purple or slowly un-paint it purple. Basically, abstract territory control. Are there any games out there that might scratch this highly specific itch?

What I'm not looking for:
- Checking off points of interest in an open world game or any other general open world OCD checklist kind of thing.
- Games about cleaning up in general. IE, House Flipper has the cleaning aspect but it's not in the form of one big omni-blob of mess.
- Despite the thematic similarity, not any kind of map-painting grand strategy game.

The Creeper World games are an obvious answer, but I'm hoping for something a little more casual. See also: They Are Billions and Infested Planet. Honestly coloring games may do, but ideally I'd want something with a bit of gameplay, whatever that ultimately entails. I don't think the De Blob games are quite what I'm looking for, but I don't know a lot about them either.

Though contrary to the above maybe the answer is The Saboteur with its re-colorfying France motif....

Late response to this but I just came across "Out of Space" which is a multiplayer Overcooked-alike that involves cleaning up bug goop. Haven't played it, but it might scratch that itch.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Phigs posted:

Similar to sorcery, 80 days it pretty darn good (it's not super serious but also not really wacky. Just good old pulpy adventure set in a steampunk alt history.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The 39 Steps is a VN adaptation of the book that inspired Hitchcock's film of the same name.

The Metamorphosis is a VN adaptation of Kafka's story.

I haven't played either of those, but they definitely qualify as not anime.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Cherry Orchard is literally a Chekhov play in VN format, with vaporwave aesthetics because the (goon) dev likes vaporwave.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
Are there any smaller scale or indie type cover-based turn based tactical games (ala the new XCOMs, Gears Tactics, etc)? Note that I'm not talking about general "tactics" games - I'm specifically looking for an emphasis on ranged combat with cover and line of sight mechanics. I'm also looking for smaller scale games because while I enjoy the genre a lot of the times I don't feel like sitting down and committing to a full mission or campaign.

XCOM Chimera Squad is a consideration but I've already played XCOM 1 & 2 to death. I'll still keep my eye on it, but are there any other options out there?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MrXmas posted:

Are there any smaller scale or indie type cover-based turn based tactical games (ala the new XCOMs, Gears Tactics, etc)? Note that I'm not talking about general "tactics" games - I'm specifically looking for an emphasis on ranged combat with cover and line of sight mechanics. I'm also looking for smaller scale games because while I enjoy the genre a lot of the times I don't feel like sitting down and committing to a full mission or campaign.

XCOM Chimera Squad is a consideration but I've already played XCOM 1 & 2 to death. I'll still keep my eye on it, but are there any other options out there?

Hard West is a an old west xcom-like with some cool mechanics and a spooky slightly supernatural vibe.

Also Chimera is good, it changed the formula up enough to make it fresh.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 12, 2021

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

MrXmas posted:

Valkyrie Profile.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

McFrugal posted:

Valkyrie Profile.

What

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

MrXmas posted:

You should check out Into The Breach

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Valkyrie Profile.

Did...did you mean...Valkyria Chronicles?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

MrXmas posted:

TROUBLESHOOTER is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

MrXmas posted:

These are maybe a bit bigger than what you're asking for but:

I've never played it but I recall Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is basically Xcom

I would also suggest Silent Storm; it's got some jank going on and in my humble opinion you need a mod to remove ahistorical elements to prevent the endgame from being a slog, but it scratched that same itch (the cover mechanics are really rudimentary though, you can't "snap" to cover like in Xcom but sitting behind low walls etc. does actually reduce chances to hit)