Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ironic as the HK takeover and selection of Carrie Lam was literally only due to her prowess at formalism and bureaucratism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Booty Pageant posted:

is it just me not hearing about adverse side effects from vaccination or is it really only just hk so far reportiung a load of adverse effects???

A lot of the "adverse effect" reporting is people complaining about feeling like poo poo after getting a vaccine without understanding that feeling lovely for a couple days from a vaccine is good and means your immune system is responding to it the way it's supposed to.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

tho it is kinda interesting how almost none of my Chinese friends/coworkers have opted in to get on the vaccine waiting list.

I asked a couple if it was the Chinese ones specifically (there was a lot of bad vaccines going around a few years ago, so not an unfounded fear) and if they'd get an imported one and nah they just don't trust any vaccine lol. almost everyone I know in China who did get one is a foreigner.

talking to other people here it seems to be a v. common sentiment where no one trusts any of the vaccines and just doesn't want any of them. a friend of mine who is a teacher got it, and she said like most of her Chinese colleagues opted out for the same reasons.

China has had several huge vaccine scandals in the past decade.

Either fake vaccines, improperly stored vaccines, or outright scams.

So that doesn't help.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's also the general dismissal of scientific medicine in East Asia. I'm hearing the same stories about no local coworkers taking vaccines in Korea and Japan.

If you haven't lived there, imagine if the default position on how medicine works was crystals/homeopathy, and you had to shop around for doctors who believe in germs instead of prescribing you a tincture of aetherium for your misaligned chakra when you have a sinus infection.

(for whoever's going to come at me for this: no, it's not the same as woo woo poo poo in the west, the idiocy is the same but the scale is completely different)

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 9, 2021

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Whoa laoshu505000 died outta nowhere.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

A Donghai Airlines Boeing 737-800, registration B-5311 performing flight DZ-6297 from Nantong to Xian (China), was enroute at 7800 meters (FL256) about 70 minutes into the 120 minute flight, when the captain decided to take a toilet break in the forward first class toilet and instructed a passenger waiting before the toilet to return to his seat. The captain entered the toilet, when he later left the passenger was still waiting before the toilet. The captain thus talked to the flight attendant stating the flight attendant hadn't done his job and he should have returned the passenger to his seat. A physical altercation developed which, according to Chinese media reports, resulted in the flight attendant's fracture of an arm and the captain's loss of a tooth. The captain returned to the cockpit, the flight landed without further incident in Xian.

On Mar 8th 2021 the airline posted an apology on Chinese social media accounts confirming the incident and stating that both the captain and the flight attendant had been suspended. Measures to prevent a recurrence have been taken along the lines of China's Civil Aviation Authority

Passengers reported on Chinese social media accounts on Mar 6th 2021, that the physical fight was initiated by the captain.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e420aff

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

THANKS! These are great.

My 12 year old son has chosen Mandarin as his second language and is attending the language school in our city. It's a whole lot of work books, videos, and tutors, but I think some music to listen to might help it settle into his little brain.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SerCypher posted:

China has had several huge vaccine scandals in the past decade.

Either fake vaccines, improperly stored vaccines, or outright scams.

So that doesn't help.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's also the general dismissal of scientific medicine in East Asia. I'm hearing the same stories about no local coworkers taking vaccines in Korea and Japan.

If you haven't lived there, imagine if the default position on how medicine works was crystals/homeopathy, and you had to shop around for doctors who believe in germs instead of prescribing you a tincture of aetherium for your misaligned chakra when you have a sinus infection.

(for whoever's going to come at me for this: no, it's not the same as woo woo poo poo in the west, the idiocy is the same but the scale is completely different)

A filipino friend here told me it's basically the same in the Philippines. basically hardly any one is opting in for any vaccine, but they've also had a few vaccine scandals in recent history. iirc a french company used a real bad one on kids there which lead to a number of deaths and related illnesses just a few years ago.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Jerry, gesturing at the airport hotel window: 是他! 是飞行员!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Or how it's still apparently believed that you catch colds from cold weather and not germs.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

THANKS! These are great.

My 12 year old son has chosen Mandarin as his second language and is attending the language school in our city. It's a whole lot of work books, videos, and tutors, but I think some music to listen to might help it settle into his little brain.

i guess if kids at 13 are already listening to juice wrld and co then higher brothers should be alright... but i bear no responsibility if your kid starts mumble rapping in sichuanese

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 28, 2021

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Barudak posted:

All my HK coworkers are convinced the side effects are exclusive to the China made vaccine and its a plot to kill/weaken them and like, dang hard to argue against that in a way.

yeah kinda surprised how tvb picked it up and ran with it, thought there'd be more downplaying but hot drat, almost if it's been aired to further sow distrust in hk. i wouldn't be surprised if they enact new legislation about requirements for people to be vaccinated before they can go somewhere or some poo poo, but i'd say the vaccines are probs fine

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Evil Agita posted:

rip, dude would have been huge if he went to china during the good times

i remember someone posted this vid in the thread years ago https://youtu.be/63hB5ZthbP0

what a legend

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
where was the pilot from

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Or how it's still apparently believed that you catch colds from cold weather and not germs.

Isn’t that just a western superstition?

Or is that the joke

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Evil Agita posted:

drat, shame.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Current local and expat rumour mill in Cambodia, is that the Chinese govt is bribing people to leave cambo and spread covid.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50822549/seven-arrested-for-suspected-quarantine-escape-one-deported-for-fleeing-sihanoukville/

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50823141/a-taxi-driver-who-helped-a-chinese-quarantine-escapee-arrested/

Now hun Sen is saying covid deaths must be cremated

But earlier he has said there is zero deaths

Kharnifex fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 10, 2021

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Kharnifex posted:

Current local and expat rumour mill in Cambodia, is that the Chinese govt is bribing people to leave cambo and spread covid.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50822549/seven-arrested-for-suspected-quarantine-escape-one-deported-for-fleeing-sihanoukville/

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50823141/a-taxi-driver-who-helped-a-chinese-quarantine-escapee-arrested/

Now hun Sen is saying covid deaths must be cremated

But earlier he has said there is zero deaths

If you cremate them early enough, there can still be zero deaths from COVID.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HisMajestyBOB posted:

If you cremate them early enough, there can still be zero deaths from COVID.

cremated with COVID

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Or is that the joke

It's also a thing in Japan too from what I can tell. Dunno if they got it from the western superstition tho.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I remember if you had a cold in Japan you were supposed to shower cos you could pass out in the bath and drown.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Booty Pageant posted:

i guess if kids at 13 are already listening to juice wrld and co then higher brothers should be alright... but i bear no responsibility if your kid starts mumble rapping in sichuanese

His tutor is a very traditional, older Chinese woman. She does not strike me as a person who would allow such a thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

show him the cultural revolution violin scenes from The Red Violin

total banger

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Or is that the joke

It's how disease is believed to work in Asia. Your body is incapable of any kind of self regulation, so if it's even slightly chilly and you aren't wearing 12 coats you'll get sick instantly. There was a similar historical belief in Europe that led Victorians to wearing insane coats in Indonesia and poo poo like that.

E: My favorite one is about how you get arthritis by leaving your belly uncovered, so wind goes in your belly button and into your bones. Fortunately you can cure arthritis by boiling a live cat and drinking the broth.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 10, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

show him the cultural revolution violin scenes from The Red Violin

total banger

At some point I'm going to have to teach him a more detailed history of china than whatever the public schools teach.

The sack of beijing by the mongols, wwii, and the revolution are certainly going to be included (I'll throw the opium wars in there too).

Traders on their way to beijing thought they were seeing snowcapped mountains in the distance as they traveled to the city. Nope, it was massive piles of bodies. I'll probably gloss over that part.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

It's how disease is believed to work in Asia. Your body is incapable of any kind of self regulation, so if it's even slightly chilly and you aren't wearing 12 coats you'll get sick instantly. There was a similar historical belief in Europe that led Victorians to wearing insane coats in Indonesia and poo poo like that.

E: My favorite one is about how you get arthritis by leaving your belly uncovered, so wind goes in your belly button and into your bones. Fortunately you can cure arthritis by boiling a live cat and drinking the broth.

Don't get me started on all the weird pregnancy related pseudoscience.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

SerCypher posted:

Don't get me started on all the weird pregnancy related pseudoscience.

Please start; I’m morbidly curious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Cubelodyte posted:

Please start; I’m morbidly curious.

It's wild poo poo but I'll leave it for the people in the thread who've had the misfortune of experiencing it firsthand.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I'm not allowed to cut my nails in the bedroom because my wife is pregnant.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I mean that's kinda gross, pregnant or no. Do it in the bathroom.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i have a friend who married a HKer and the mom in law convinced her do 月子 at one of those weird special hotels for it in HK, which she said sounded nice in theory but was like the worst poo poo ever lol. at one point she got up just to stretch and an ayi burst in screaming about how shes gonna die cuz she moved 3 steps a week after giving birth.

I think thats a quickly dying tradition tho, esp. in the mainland.

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Magna Kaser posted:

tho it is kinda interesting how almost none of my Chinese friends/coworkers have opted in to get on the vaccine waiting list.

I asked a couple if it was the Chinese ones specifically (there was a lot of bad vaccines going around a few years ago, so not an unfounded fear) and if they'd get an imported one and nah they just don't trust any vaccine lol. almost everyone I know in China who did get one is a foreigner.

talking to other people here it seems to be a v. common sentiment where no one trusts any of the vaccines and just doesn't want any of them. a friend of mine who is a teacher got it, and she said like most of her Chinese colleagues opted out for the same reasons.

I have relatives who work in a hospital and they told me that most of their colleagues just didn’t get the vaccine even though it was available to them (and they are medical workers!

No one straight out says they don’t trust it as an explanation to not get it, which is probably smart. They just say “it’s not necessary for me, we have the pandemic under control so it’s fine.”

feizhouxiongdi2 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 11, 2021

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

Don’t get me started. I HATE all these stupid rear end remedies and superstition around pregnancy in China. Some are still around. If I hear another person says “she has migraine because she showered too soon (within a month) after giving birth.” Or “Western women are stronger so they can shower right after they gave birth and it’s fine but we can’t do that.” Or how a woman just sit in the same spot for a month after she gave birth and be cover in blankets so she can be kept warm. OR that Epidural is bad for the baby (makes it dumb).

AHHH.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Is this where the whole "Hot Water fixes everything" thing comes from?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Forceholy posted:

Is this where the whole "Hot Water fixes everything" thing comes from?

It's one of those things that every culture has their own version of. Long ago people realized that boiling water before drinking it meant that you didn't poo poo your brains out later that day. It's very similar to how First Nation's people used to drink cedar tea in the winter, and their teeth didn't fall out. Both were simple preventative measures that warped into cure-alls over time.

More pregger beliefs (vary by region, age, etc.) Some are contradictory, some have some basis in reality, most have warped into something insane over time.

Pregnancy Do:

Eat really bland food (plain noodles and boiled eggs). This is just before giving birth and a month or two after.

Stay warm->dangerously hot. One lady died from heat stroke because her mother in law made her sleep in a heated bed, in a heated room, in the summer.

Get an IV. IVs cost money, so they are good. What's good for you is good for the baby. Get an IV as often as possible.

Pregnancy Don't:

Absolutely no physical activity or movement while pregnant. You should be remaining stationary as soon as a baby bump appears. Make sure every muscle in your body has atrophied by the time you go into labour. Also, walking around will expose you to the cold.

Absolutely no physical activity or movement a month or three after pregnancy. Make sure that atrophy makes you completely reliant and subservient to your MIL. Besides, walking around will make you cold.

Get cold. Even a toe touching the floor will cause irreparable damage to mother and child. Cold air touching the belly is essentially an abortion as cold air can enter through the bellybutton.

Don't bathe. Something about oils on the skin storing healthy. . . it's just another "don't get cold thing".

Don't act like savage, massive, strong, semi-feral western women who are as strong as Marvel superheroes and who grew up in colder climates that allow them to take massive damage. Chinese women are :biotruths: different.

Don't drink too much. All of your water intake should be the broth from your boiled eggs or plain noodles. Staying hydrated can make you cold.

Don't have sex while pregnant, and 3-10 months after. Your body needs time to heal, and your vagina will never heal if you're using it. Besides, sex is physical exertion and you could get sweaty and get COLD!!!!

My wife broke all of these rules and her mother nearly died from worry. She worked right up to two weeks before the due date, and was swimming in the lake at 8 months. She had crazy strange cravings, and ate a ton of spicy stuff, vegetables, fruit, and meat. She showered every day, only used light covers at night, wore light clothing (had baby in August), and drank tons of water.

When my wife had our son she needed to have a c-section because he was breech, huge (4.5kg), and MIL brought out the "I told you so". When she saw how healthy, strong, big, loud, and perfect he was, she admitted that my wife was right. . . until she started walking around two days later.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Good

For

Healthy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Blistex posted:

When my wife had our son she needed to have a c-section because he was breech, huge (4.5kg), and MIL brought out the "I told you so". When she saw how healthy, strong, big, loud, and perfect he was, she admitted that my wife was right. . . until she started walking around two days later.

WHY IS HE SO FAT

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Alan Smithee posted:

WHY IS HE SO FAT

doing too much walking makes your baby come out rippling with unsightly western muscles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Alan Smithee posted:

WHY IS HE SO FAT

No why.

My wife was a little disappointed because he couldn't fit into a lot of the newborn clothes she bought.