Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

silentsnack posted:

For the most part, until drones with multiple lightweight integrated video cameras came out, any attempt at making remote-operated weapons would be limited by your ability to see what the device is doing, where it's going, wait what's my target again??

So either way you'd still need some sort of a spotter with line-of-sight to the target to make up for the lack of visual fidelity and field-of-view.

...but if you're an army unit with a helicopter or scout-sniper in position to see the target it's already a solved problem, so the question boils down to "What if TOW/AT-4/etc missiles, but made of toys like it's a fuckin alt-timeline Home Alone guerrilla war"

Or, literally, a guy with a smartphone who can drop you a google map pin for gps coordinates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

The Oldest Man posted:

Or, literally, a guy with a smartphone who can drop you a google map pin for gps coordinates.

With 2010s-era tech, sure. ISIS dropped homebrew explosives using off-the-shelf kit drones, and shitposted in Texas Sharpshooter's Fallacy style celebration of the few that coincidentally landed near something resembling a target. And the response was washington thunktanks saying "wait what someone actually tried that? aww poo poo man, now we gotta write a manual and bill a few hundred million in consulting fees lmao"

The key word "until" that I failed to emphasize was the issue of when the RC toy bomber scare happened (90s? can't remember exactly) the people who could have successfully weaponized model vehicles (the exact measure of success being outside the scope) would have had no need to because either they would have better hardware and methods (military/police or major criminal organizations wanting to assassinate a judge, or coldwar spy novel hitmanns or whatev) or wouldn't need such a precision weapon at all (since when do terrorists care about bystanders? They'd just spam RPGs to level the neighborhood and call it a day.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Farm Frenzy posted:

i paint the word SCHOOL on the top of my military base in an adversarial attack but it just makes the drones more aggressive

Painting northrop grumman on there will work until they switch to GE drones

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use trompe‐l’œil to make a patch of dirt look like a terrorist training camp so you can collect bombs for scrap metal.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Soya_Cincau/status/1369946439112069123?s=19

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

One of the big limitations of drones is also bandwidth- sending and receiving data. You have to choose between bandwidth and latency, ability to operate in a wide area, or strong encryption and good security so especially given the clown show domestic law enforcement is I have no doubt they’ll purchase vulnerable drones.

This could also lead to a “oops lol we got hacked and shot knife missiles the protest” after it becomes widely known it’s possible for police drones to be hacked.

Farm Frenzy posted:

self driving cars dont exist

They’re not great right now but they kinda do.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

They’re not great right now but they kinda do.
oh?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

All cars are self driving cars once you equip them with a brick on the accelerator, they’re just not great at it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

teslas have self driven themselves under semi trucks decapitating their owners several times to be fair to elon

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Real hurthling! posted:

teslas have self driven themselves under semi trucks decapitating their owners several times to be fair to elon

Maybe... Teslas good?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Tulip posted:

I'm reasonably sure there was a lot of handwringing about this back when RC cars were a more common hobby and RC cars - or RC copters - are much better suited to the task than adding the bot step, but we still haven't seen this be a big thing other than by the American government against Muslims.

We actually have in syria and iraq

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I don’t really see the logic in “self driving cars exist but also robots won’t be able to kill people very effectively because they can’t do a lot”

I'm talking about fully autonomous robots. Something that doesn't really exist. Even a self driving car needs supervision and correction from a human operator.

Remote control robots are realistic and exist right now but that's not autonomous. I'm talking about robots that have total control over their own movements and can carry out their operations with no input from humans. A robot that can move around on its own, identify and attack targets on its own, and know how to get to places. That's what I mean when I say autonomous robot. That doesn't exist. Robots right now are comically incapable and need a human to babysit them.

Even something as simple as a robot turret with a gun and a camera on it would likely gently caress up at its job of shooting brown people that get too close. It should be so drat easy but a robot isn't a human and has to have every tiny variable planned for or else it will just run out of ammo shooting at a shadow on the ground, or letting enemy combatants get through because they shined lights on it and it couldn't tell what it was looking at.

The Skeleton King has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Mar 11, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Skeleton King posted:

What I'm trying to say is that an autonomous robot killing machine is really unrealistic with current technology. You can get something like that but it won't be very good.

You can probably make a bot that can sometimes maybe identify that there is a non-white person present and drive over to them and explode. If you're lucky it won't get confused by a shadow or a reflection and blow up in the wrong place. Hopefully it will also not be foiled by a closed door or a large rock in the way.

You could probably give a robot a gun and hope to God it can figure out what to shoot at. I guarantee that it will get confused by every variable you can think of and just end up depleting it's ammunition firing at the sun or a cloud. It might kill a combatant, but will likely need a human remote controlling it to do most of the work.

Do we even have robots that can navigate itself through a complex environment like a building? Do we have a robot that can make its way to a location and not end up going in circles, bumping into everything, wandering off in the wrong direction, getting stuck, ect? Self driving cars can almost kinda maybe sometimes do that, but they only drive on roads and still require constant supervision.

I don't know why people think robots will succeed at anything in warfare other than wasting money. The technology doesn't exist right now and is unlikely to exist anytime soon.

Remote control robots are realistic and exist right now but that's not autonomous. I'm talking about robots that have total control over their own movements and can carry out their operations with no input from humans.

the difference between our current drones launching missiles at an algorithmically determined target, using algorithmically defined targeting parameters, with algorithmically defined flight paths, but with humans copying and pasting the values between two computers and an autonomous robot killing machine is effectively meaningless

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Trabisnikof posted:

the difference between our current drones launching missiles at an algorithmically determined target, using algorithmically defined targeting parameters, with algorithmically defined flight paths, but with humans copying and pasting the values between two computers and an autonomous robot killing machine is effectively meaningless

True enough I guess. But I don't know how good those algorithms are. If all the other algorithms we have are anything to go by, they will probably be really stupid.

The Skeleton King has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Mar 11, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Skeleton King posted:

True enough I guess. But I don't know how good those algorithms are. If all the other algorithms we have are anything to go by, they will probably be really stupid.

oh agreed, but that's the state of our warfighting empire in general, driven by really really stupid systems

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

You can probably make a bot that can sometimes maybe identify that there is a non-white person present and drive over to them and explode. If you're lucky it won't get confused by a shadow or a reflection and blow up in the wrong place. Hopefully it will also not be foiled by a closed door or a large rock in the way.

I remember reading that this sort of thing happened with early anti air missiles; they would get confused by hot rocks, or the sun, because they looked for heat sources.

They are much better now.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

If ML language translation is anything to go by, it's going to be dumb dumb dumb dumb for years and then there will be a sudden jump up in capability if and when the money to drive that improvement bumps into incentives to actually make the systems performant.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Volmarias posted:

I remember reading that this sort of thing happened with early anti air missiles; they would get confused by hot rocks, or the sun, because they looked for heat sources.

They are much better now.

https://youtu.be/bZe5J8SVCYQ

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

remember when DARPA gave a bunch of MIT researchers access to the real time location of every single vehicle and cell phone in Afganistan, named it after Blade Runner, and then they didn't do poo poo with it because they had no idea what they were doing lol

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/15/the-graveyard-of-empires-and-big-data/

quote:

What Lee eventually formulated was a data-mining program based on the latest predictive analysis work being done in the commercial sector, but using military data from Afghanistan. “For example, we were trying to understand if the price of potatoes at local markets was correlated with subsequent Taliban activity, insurgent activity, in the same way that Amazon might want to know if certain kinds of click behaviors on Amazon.com would correlate to higher sales of clothing versus handbags versus computers,” Lee said.

Big data were about to be enlisted in a program to predict whether a village in Afghanistan was being taken over by the Taliban or when insurgents might plan the next attack. More important, big data were going to take DARPA back to war.
What Lee eventually formulated was a data-mining program based on the latest predictive analysis work being done in the commercial sector, but using military data from Afghanistan. “For example, we were trying to understand if the price of potatoes at local markets was correlated with subsequent Taliban activity, insurgent activity, in the same way that Amazon might want to know if certain kinds of click behaviors on Amazon.com would correlate to higher sales of clothing versus handbags versus computers,” Lee said.

Big data were about to be enlisted in a program to predict whether a village in Afghanistan was being taken over by the Taliban or when insurgents might plan the next attack. More important, big data were going to take DARPA back to war.
Nexus 7 was unabashedly interested in data of all kinds. It was particularly interested in using patterns of daily life, including the costs of transportation and exotic vegetables, to make predictions about insurgencies in Afghanistan. “We were really using the latest research in quasi-experimental design, in machine learning, and data mining literally on hundreds of intelligence feeds to make inferences about what would happen next,” Lee said.

The program was kept secret to avoid any controversy. DARPA workers one office down had little idea what was going on when the group of young computer scientists set up shop in the agency’s headquarters. “We had to have cover stories to tell people if various Beltway people came to visit me in my office and they were walking through this pandemonium,” Lee said. In budget documents, Nexus 7 was obliquely described as a program that combined data analysis and forecasting with social network analysis.
Once in Afghanistan, the analysts began to gather as much intelligence as they could: phone records from the NSA, radar feeds from the military, and intelligence reports. But much of the data that came into Nexus 7 were qualitative, rather than quantitative, which were not easy to plug into a computer program. Even when the data were quantitative, like from radar, they rarely covered the exact same place over time.

By late 2010, DARPA was touting Nexus 7’s successes within the Pentagon, but it was not clear what, if anything, it had accomplished. As members of the team worked on a base crunching numbers from military and intelligence data feeds, another team of contractors, the Synergy Strike Force, was working in the provinces of Afghanistan, swapping beer for data and using crowdsourcing techniques honed in the red balloon hunt.
Under More Eyes, members of the Synergy Strike Force fanned out over Afghanistan in 2011, handing out cell phones to participants in contests to map out areas in the provinces of Nangarhar and Bamiyan. Afghan participants, often drawn from the humanitarian and development communities, were provided with GPS-enabled phones and instructed to mark the location of buildings and streets. As with the red balloon contest, the experiments often had an economic incentive: Winning teams got to keep their cell phones. Participants were not told that More Eyes was intended to provide the military with intelligence, and DARPA never publicly announced the program.
In the end, however, the program fell short of its hopes to demonstrate crowdsourcing in Afghanistan. According to the white paper by DARPA’s Paterson, a series of experiments showed that More Eyes overestimated the ability of Afghans to access the internet and the reach of mobile phone services in Afghanistan. “The More Eyes Team quickly learned that only 4 percent of the population had access and skills necessary to access and exploit the Internet,” he wrote. “Rural populations had even less.” The DARPA contract, which ran out toward the end of 2011, was not renewed.
DARPA never publicly discussed More Eyes. Although the Pentagon later touted Nexus 7 as a success, there is no evidence that it had any useful impact on operations. “There are no models, and there are no algorithms,” one anonymous official told Wired, griping about the program’s deployment to Afghanistan. A more sanguine assessment was published in the Wall Street Journal, which quoted an unnamed former official claiming that Nexus 7’s predictions about attacks in Afghanistan were accurate between 60 and 70 percent of the time. “It’s the ultimate correlation tool,” the official told the newspaper. “It is literally being able to predict the future.” Neither statement added substance to the debate. However, one thing was clear: Nexus 7 did not change the course of the war.

also lol at "beer for data trade (no locals)" brought to you by our friendly Synergy Strike Force ("civilian")

quote:

The only tiki bar in eastern Afghanistan had an unusual payment program. A sign inside read simply, “If you supply data, you will get beer.” The idea was that anyone — or any foreigner, because Afghans were not allowed — could upload data on a one-terabyte hard drive kept at the bar, located in the Taj Mahal Guest House in Jalalabad. In exchange, they would get free beer courtesy of the Synergy Strike Force, the informal name of the American civilians who ran the establishment.

Patrons could contribute any sort of data — maps, PowerPoint slides, videos, or photographs. They could also copy data from the drive. The “Beer for Data” program, as the exchange was called, was about merging data from humanitarian workers, private security contractors, the military, and anyone else willing to contribute. The Synergy Strike Force was not a military unit, a government division, or even a private company; it was the self-chosen name of the odd assortment of Westerners who worked — or in some cases volunteered — on the development projects run out of the guest house.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

This hits at the crux of the issue. Even if a fully autonomous Terminator-style robot existed that was better than any human, it would still be cheaper and quicker to just bomb or drone strike whatever you want dead.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tulip posted:

I'm reasonably sure there was a lot of handwringing about this back when RC cars were a more common hobby and RC cars - or RC copters - are much better suited to the task than adding the bot step, but we still haven't seen this be a big thing other than by the American government against Muslims.

RC vehicles have been used in warfare for nearly a century

the Red Army used a couple battalions of RC tanks in real combat in the Winter War, actually, mainly for attacking fortifications. it appears to have been regarded as a successful project, but was poorly suited for the conditions of the German invasion - Soviet industry was pushed to its limits and had the sense to abandon most experimental projects in favor of their immediate needs, and in any case the teletanks didn't have the speed or flexibility to keep up with the mobile warfare that dominated the Eastern Front

the US occupation forces deployed thousands of radio-controlled or entirely automatic robots in Iraq. some are armed, but the US military has refrained from using them in combat anywhere a reporter might be able to access. apparently, by the time the armed versions were deployed to Iraq in 2007, the Army felt that the risk of bad press for defense industry was more important than the risk of troop casualties

the fundamental obstacle is that a full-on robotic war machine is more expensive and difficult to produce in bulk than human-piloted war machines while being far less able to react to battlefield conditions, so it's not well-suited for use against military powers of comparable level. instead, they're most useful in situations where the user has way more military power and manufacturing capacity than the foe but the political cost of casualties among their own troops is disproportionately high - in other words, occupations and anti-insurgency. the British used remote-controlled vehicles in Northern Ireland to reduce casualties to IRA bombs, and Israel uses autonomous drone cars to patrol the Gaza border

these vehicles are rarely designed as serious combat vehicles, but there's typically little need for them to be. instead, as specialized anti-insurgency vehicles, they're largely designed to trip traps, reveal ambushes, soak up explosives, and draw or drive insurgents out of their hiding spots or fortified positions so that conventional military superiority can more easily be brought to bear

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

This is literally the same ML cargo cult poo poo you get in business. They have no loving idea what types of problems ML can actually solve and what it can't, they have no clue about experiment design methodology or even having a loving hypothesis at all before you start slamming All The Data into a giant fishing expedition that will pop out specious correlations a thousand times more often than it finds any really predictive signal.

And then you get the Potato Pricing Modification Project because skynet said potato prices drive Taliban activity.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Main Paineframe posted:

RC vehicles have been used in warfare for nearly a century (.....)

the fundamental obstacle is that a full-on robotic war machine is more expensive and difficult to produce in bulk than human-piloted war machines while being far less able to react to battlefield conditions, so it's not well-suited for use against military powers of comparable level. instead, they're most useful in situations where the user has way more military power and manufacturing capacity than the foe but the political cost of casualties among their own troops is disproportionately high - in other words, occupations and anti-insurgency.

also the issue with removing humans from the decision-making process means you're relying entirely on the machine's ability to differentiate friend/foe/noncombatant/shrub/dog/etc and there's no dilution of responsibility by having several trained technicians pushing different "Go Ahead" buttons despite the fact they have limited information.

so then there would be the issue that indiscriminate weapons are inherently prohibited, and computers are not legally capable of making decisions, so who is at fault when the murdercopter sees a bird and glitches out resulting in its conclusion that it's time to carpetbomb a daycare?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This is satire of Spaceballs and you won't convince me otherwise.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Were V2 rockets RC or simply set/forget?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Were V2 rockets RC or simply set/forget?

Set & Forget, hence the atrocious accuracy (which was fine when the whole point was to be a terror weapon)

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Trabisnikof posted:

remember when DARPA gave a bunch of MIT researchers access to the real time location of every single vehicle and cell phone in Afganistan, named it after Blade Runner, and then they didn't do poo poo with it because they had no idea what they were doing lol

https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/15/the-graveyard-of-empires-and-big-data/

also lol at "beer for data trade (no locals)" brought to you by our friendly Synergy Strike Force ("civilian")

Lol that's pretty decent military program if all it did was waste money and buy people beer. Usually they just waste money.

edit: ML is bullshit and anyone who thinks 'self driving cars' are a thing clearly doesn't understand how 'self driving cars' umm 'work'.

I also want to point out that we use drones not because they are more accurate or safer or any of that poo poo, they just lower the threshold of action since it doesn't involve putting soldiers in harms way. This is likely antiquated thinking which the military will figure out soon enough as most US citizens don't give a poo poo whose getting blown up in foreign wars anymore, our own people included.

pigz has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Mar 11, 2021

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Volmarias posted:

Set & Forget, hence the atrocious accuracy (which was fine when the whole point was to be a terror weapon)

Sir, this is rocket-pilot erasure. Those brave capuchin monkey-nazis were trained for years to pilot those rockets. Their zeal for rocketry was only exceeded by their hate for the British.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Sir, this is rocket-pilot erasure. Those brave capuchin monkey-nazis were trained for years to pilot those rockets. Their zeal for rocketry was only exceeded by their hate for the British.

Can relate.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

America tried gluing napalm bombs to bats with the goal of burning down Japanese cities, since bats like to nest in the eaves of houses. The plan was cancelled after a bunch of bats escaped and burned down an Army base.

(The V2s were not flown by monkeys, but the Americans really did bat bombs, and I think it was the British who tried pigeon-guided missiles and chicken-powered nuclear bombs)

Chamale has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Mar 11, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not a weapon, exactly. But the bat story reminds me of the good ol' CIA op Acoustic Kitty, where they surgically implanted a bunch of recording equipment in a cat and then it got hit by a car.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Less weapon-guidance and more just bio-weapon but the US mosquito-flu-bombed a few cities that one time, you know, just to test.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chamale posted:

America tried gluing napalm bombs to bats with the goal of burning down Japanese cities, since bats like to nest in the eaves of houses. The plan was cancelled after a bunch of bats escaped and burned down an Army base.

(The V2s were not flown by monkeys, but the Americans really did bat bombs, and I think it was the British who tried pigeon-guided missiles and chicken-powered nuclear bombs)

please Project Pigeon was all-American baby

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Chamale posted:

soviets did anti-tank dogs but didn't train them well for combat so they frequently retreated back into soviet lines and killed soviet soldiers

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

christmas boots posted:

Not a weapon, exactly. But the bat story reminds me of the good ol' CIA op Acoustic Kitty, where they surgically implanted a bunch of recording equipment in a cat and then it got hit by a car.

Sounds about right for a CIA op

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Nothus posted:

Sounds about right for a successful CIA op

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tulip posted:

soviets did anti-tank dogs but didn't train them well for combat so they frequently retreated back into soviet lines and killed soviet soldiers

If i'm remembering this right they trained them on Soviet tanks that used a different fuel than the German tanks so the dogs would end up IDing the Soviet tanks as the real threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

The Oldest Man posted:

This is literally the same ML cargo cult poo poo you get in business. They have no loving idea what types of problems ML can actually solve and what it can't, they have no clue about experiment design methodology or even having a loving hypothesis at all before you start slamming All The Data into a giant fishing expedition that will pop out specious correlations a thousand times more often than it finds any really predictive signal.

And then you get the Potato Pricing Modification Project because skynet said potato prices drive Taliban activity.

Machine learning snake oil is built on the fundamentally stupid belief that domain specific knowledge isn't relevant to the application of statistical techniques.

So yes, it is ubiquitous in the security state now, basically just recycling the same errors and biases over and over but it's better because a human isn't doing it.