Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nothus posted:

The current narrative is that they're going to halve childhood poverty with a tax credit. This is all consent manufacturing around that.

What's scary is that since it obviously won't what do they do when it doesn't? The best case scenario I think is they go back to ignoring it but I wouldn't be surprised if they just claim the problem solved and push through more austerity citing their own lovely articles as justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't understand how anyone can focus on anything other than Cuomo's slow self-immolation. It's loving glorious.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't understand how anyone can focus on anything other than Cuomo's slow self-immolation. It's loving glorious.

I'm still far too cynical to believe he's actually toast

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

we can fix a third of childhood poverty with a <2k tax credit. liberals actually believe this

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

also lmao it is indeed glorious content just let the rapist soprano wannabe immolate

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AyeshaASiddiqi/status/1369759682378797063

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Yeah I kind of think he will weather this and it will put the final nail in the coffin for #metoo after being mortally wounded when the dems decided to smear Tara Reade.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

No

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Flunky posted:

we can fix a third of childhood poverty with a <2k tax credit. liberals actually believe this

look we have this study that shows the net income of X americans for FY2021 will move just past this arbitrarily line in the sand we've drawn, as long as they decide to file taxes next year despite not usually doing so

clearly this means children living in poverty right now have had their lives permanently improved

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, if it isn't glaringly obvious already, it seems any significant changes that Biden is making is generally aimed at competition with China. I would say the Child Tax credit itself was largely spurred in part by the act that the US' fertility rate has dropped significantly and its their way of addressing it.

The New Frontier's act is aimed at the fact that China is rapidly catching up technologically and will probably be able to independently produce most of what it needs in the next 10 years.

A $15 minimum wage/MedicareforAll though isn't on the menu even though both could arguably make the US more competitive in the long-run.

(Also, Obamacare just makes insurance companies so much cash, there is no way they would back away from it.)

"wow, so you guys want to compete with china then, does that mean you guys are going to bring production capacity back to the US instead of relying on china to make every last product?"

"...no you loving moron, you weirdo, you baby dicked loving loser, why would you ever think that"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Just when I think I can't crack and ping again.

quote:

But at this point, no one seeing this image isn’t already aware that the most violent industries and agencies of empire wouldn’t be improved, or even changed, by greater diversity behind its weapons and among its ranks.

oh hey vvvvvvv

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

But at this point, no one seeing this image isn’t already aware that the most violent industries and agencies of empire wouldn’t be improved, or even changed, by greater diversity behind its weapons and among its ranks.

Have they ever met a democrat before

Apparently this person lives in LA and has somehow never interacted with a dem

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Excelzior posted:

Agreed.

That makes it funnier.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Excelzior posted:

maybe his approval rating will drop below 65% among democrats if another seven women step forward

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

It’s bad enough when people who have suffered American drones are ignored. To manufacture their testimony, to deploy their likeness for the superficial purpose of advertising your own self-satisfied conscientiousness is the poor taste common to those whose perspectives are formed by the cold remove of politics thats only banter. And that’s all that it can enable. A politic of solidarity with the people that look like those in the cartoon would demand a lot more.

the reason why nobody can interview a drone strike victim so they can give you a pull-quote about what it's like to be exploded is because THEY'VE BEEN loving EXPLODED

shut the gently caress up

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

little known fact, New York State law requires that a resigned or forcibly-removed governor be replaced with a member of the Trump family

there's literally no other option between keeping Cuomo and pardoning Trump

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

the reason why nobody can interview a drone strike victim so they can give you a pull-quote about what it's like to be exploded is because THEY'VE BEEN loving EXPLODED

shut the gently caress up

*Chunks of charred and flayed flesh did not return CNN's request for comment.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I know, it's :discourse:

It probably won't matter, but lmao if it does.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Grey Fox posted:

little known fact, New York State law requires that a resigned or forcibly-removed governor be replaced with a member of the Trump family

there's literally no other option between keeping Cuomo and pardoning Trump

:shuckyes:

I knew it!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Eggplant Squire posted:

What's scary is that since it obviously won't what do they do when it doesn't? The best case scenario I think is they go back to ignoring it but I wouldn't be surprised if they just claim the problem solved and push through more austerity citing their own lovely articles as justification.

I mean thats exactly what they'll do, claim victory despite all evidence to the contrary, while the op eds carry water for them, and continue with business as usual.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

wow who knew the media glossing over the well-known flaws of a morally-dubious individual for months could have repercussions down the line

truly a shocking development

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
cam the coming economic stimulus check be garnished for taxes owed, or student loans back-payments?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

papa horny michael posted:

cam the coming economic stimulus check be garnished for taxes owed, or student loans back-payments?

the $1,400 is NOT protected

lmao

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Excelzior posted:

lmao
https://twitter.com/jacob__posts/status/1369919080556355584

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/islamphobiacow/status/1369474234024624128

lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

That's a lot of words to say "This cartoon gets more engagement than my work and I hate it"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i was shitposting to my sisters this morning and was looking for something on google and found this lmao

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

quote:

It’s bad enough when people who have suffered American drones are ignored. To manufacture their testimony, to deploy their likeness for the superficial purpose of advertising your own self-satisfied conscientiousness is the poor taste common to those whose perspectives are formed by the cold remove of politics thats only banter. And that’s all that it can enable. A politic of solidarity with the people that look like those in the cartoon would demand a lot more.

I’m not above using hyperbole to close the distance between a flawed view and the reality it can lead to or endorses. And perhaps I’m too sensitive these days to tolerate even allusions to violence. But my disgust and impatience with the casual repetition of this image lies with the fact that it is not hyperbolic allusion. It’s a cartoon of something that already happens with horrific regularity. The image aims for an irony it can’t carry for a point that it doesn’t advance and it takes the most gauche route to get there.

That’s all I see when I see that image. It does not enlighten or inform. It does not represent or elevate. It advertises an absurdity at the expense of a reality. And since most of us in the global north haven’t given sufficient recognition to that reality I don’t feel we’ve earned the opportunity to caricature it.

I mean liberals believe that putting a diverse face on the american war machine is good. Biden just loving tweeted about it lol

There's not poo poo I can do about the MSM covering up american war crimes except be pissy about it and bitch on the internet. I'd love for the families of civilians enemy combatants to be interviewed but that is forbidden. This political cartoon is all we get but even that is not okay now.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

papa horny michael posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/03/10/private-debt-collectors-can-seize-1-400-stimulus-checks/6938635002/

quote:

Congress made the stimulus payments off-limits to private creditors when it approved the second round of $600 checks in December.

But it was unable to extend those protections this round because the Senate passed the COVID-relief package through a procedure known as reconciliation, which limits provisions in the legislation to those that are tied directly to the budget.

The legislation does protect against seizure of the stimulus money to pay back taxes, child support and other government debts.

government? no
private? yeah baby

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Excelzior posted:

lmao

wait are you loving serious

edit:

Lansdowne posted:

government? no
private? yeah baby

oh thank god nvm

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

loving lol, it's not stimulus if it just get seized for debt payment from the people that need it the most.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It feels like AOC is taking on this role of, I dunno, Biden's liaison to the left? Like her comments about the covid bill, she's like "We need a living wage!!! BUT, look at all this great stuff we got 😍"

I can;t put my finger on it exactly but lately it feels like she's trying to sell me on something. Things are getting better! Leftists are winning!

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

The Pussy Boss posted:

It feels like AOC is taking on this role of, I dunno, Biden's liaison to the left? Like her comments about the covid bill, she's like "We need a living wage!!! BUT, look at all this great stuff we got 😍"

I can;t put my finger on it exactly but lately it feels like she's trying to sell me on something. Things are getting better! Leftists are winning!

see you in 30 years, bub

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's a stimulus for debt collectors and banks.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hoo boy we're gonna get some fun stories this summer

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

spacemang_spliff posted:

I mean liberals believe that putting a diverse face on the american war machine is good. Biden just loving tweeted about it lol

There's not poo poo I can do about the MSM covering up american war crimes except be pissy about it and bitch on the internet. I'd love for the families of civilians enemy combatants to be interviewed but that is forbidden. This political cartoon is all we get but even that is not okay now.

i don't know what to make of that article at all. the comic makes a poignant point and it's funny to post it in conjunction with liberals or others trying to put a positive spin on our war machine by hiring on diverse people to man it. that's all, it's not praxis. it's just posting

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i don't know what to make of that article at all. the comic makes a poignant point and it's funny to post it in conjunction with liberals or others trying to put a positive spin on our war machine by hiring on diverse people to man it. that's all, it's not praxis. it's just posting

She took a contrarian view to drive traffic to her substack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Nothus posted:

She took a contrarian view to drive traffic to her substack.

substacks suck