Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

BattleMaster posted:

The procedural breakfasts for the cafeteria in Squadron Meme Number that were shown off by a dev twiddling sliders that controlled the various aspects of the eggs and beans and such is the most batshit thing IMO

Lammasu posted:

The gently caress? When was this? Just the idea of spending time and resources on such stupid poo poo blows my mind.

The eggs were a lie

quote:

Were you entranced by the endless possibilities of 3D rendering an egg? Us too! (#AprilFools)

It just blurred in with all the other foolishness

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

The Titanic posted:

Yus.

All this.

I hope Frontier can learn for Elite 2.

They probably won't. You have to understand that elite 2 is not only a game that actually existed in the nineties, it was also already remarkably similar to elite dangerous in terms of gameplay. It just had very primitive graphics and no multiplayer, but other than that most of what's today in elite dangerous was already there. This should tell you a lot about frontier's ability to evolve the formula.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Pixelate posted:

The eggs were a lie

It just blurred in with all the other foolishness

I didn't know it was an April Fool's joke but they made a toolset and a 10 hour video showing it off for a joke which is almost even worse.

edit:

like it wasn't just an announcement and some fake screenshots, they had a dev environment for breakfast generation set up and showed it off in a massive video :psyduck:

It is fully functional, why not just add it to the game at that point!

edit 2: at least the video isn't actually 10 hours since it seems to loop after a point

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 11, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

BattleMaster posted:

I didn't know it was an April Fool's joke but they made a toolset and a 10 hour video showing it off for a joke which is almost even worse.

edit:

like it wasn't just an announcement and some fake screenshots, they had a dev environment for breakfast generation set up and showed it off in a massive video :psyduck:

edit 2: at least the video isn't actually 10 hours since it seems to loop after a point

It is in substance designer, so it isn't directly transferable to cryengine as a system, but only as pictures (I know gently caress all about cryengine, maybe it has some integration?), so it wasn't exactly wasted work. I mean, not wasted as in work was done but only for a joke, not as in it would be far easier to just take a picture of your breakfast and be done with it. If they would do some alien incomprehensible foods with this it could be nice, but crobear's imagination goes as far as eggs, beans, hot-dogs and pizzas...
Anyway, good for the guy that worked on it, at least he got some more experience in substance designer :unsmith:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

BattleMaster posted:

edit:

Someone was saying at the time it's just a standard existing tool. Seems to be Adobe Substance Designer. They were just messing about with it. (e: ninjad)

It is just like all their other dev oversell and absurd argon-infused aims though, hard to tell it apart

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 11, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

BattleMaster posted:

The usual issue is that it crashes the game and makes it run like poo poo

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Gort posted:

The usual issue is that it crashes the game and makes it run like poo poo

indistinguishable from normal, then

The Juggernaut
Nov 29, 2005

I pop by about every 6 months to ask, where are we on the development of the three unique languages? It seems like just a simple thing that could have money thrown at and CR not messing with it too much. (CR would tell the linguists its not space enough and send it back 100 times.)

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

The Juggernaut posted:

I pop by about every 6 months to ask, where are we on the development of the three unique languages? It seems like just a simple thing that could have money thrown at and CR not messing with it too much. (CR would tell the linguists its not space enough and send it back 100 times.)

There's a Xi'an chat lobby. It must exist.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
TV broadcast ship when ffs

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Sarsapariller posted:

The world's nastiest coffee counter

Any more details on this?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Juggernaut posted:

Xi'an is basically complete and Banu is well on its way to being finished. Vandul is bare-bones.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pixelate posted:

This game is so hosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oxonCvCNZg&t=609s

That's like five minutes of them listing how hosed it is. Today it's because Chris wants all the materials to be real materials. With the right conductivity and tensile strength and density.

So now the ships are going to have different mass distributions because an artist gave the Mustang tungsten vents 6 years ago or whatever...

Amazing

I wonder at what point the dev team is going to realize that rail guns, FTL travel, and the like are not possible with real materials, therefore impossible in their engine... and therefore declare that none of those things will be in the game anymore, and this is now a solely in-atmosphere cargo plane simulator.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
On another subject, was it ever made clear exactly why the Crytek court case just collapsed one day? I remember that people here were looking forward to whatever might get brought out in discovery, and then suddenly they decided there was nothing to see here.

I think the working theory at the time was that Crytek got a glimpse underneath the vast circus tent that is CIG's operation and discovered that there is actually nothing there. Which admittedly would derail their argument a bit.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 11, 2021

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

On another subject, was it ever made clear exactly why the Crytek court case just collapsed one day? I remember that people here were looking forward to whatever might get brought out in discovery, and then suddenly they decided there was nothing to see here.

I think there was a settlement. CIG didn't want discovery but also I think crytek is low on money

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Dwesa posted:

:lol: throwaway account with Ancient Aliens guy profile picture and whose only activity until now was sharing referral code for SC awakened only to vomit some sexist bullshit

if you need to use throwaway account to express your beliefs, because you're afraid to be identified, it's probably indication those beliefs are poo poo

Edit: ah, I see, it's nazi, of course

If anyone's not up on their early 20th century history, Vril is a concept that was popular with Victorian-era esoterica enthusiasts and has become tied to neo-nazi occultists and the Thule Society was the major sponsor of the DAP/NSDAP with several early Nazi luminaries as members.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

mkvltra posted:

look at the bottom of the picture
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/839631816612962304/photo/1

marumaru
May 20, 2013

someone should open a jira ticket to get that counter cleaned up

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheDarkFlame posted:

I think the working theory at the time was that Crytek got a glimpse underneath the vast circus tent that is CIG's operation and discovered that there is actually nothing there. Which admittedly would derail their argument a bit.

Yeah Crytek seemed to be arguing that Squadron wasn't going to hit its deadlines / arrive as described, so said they wanted to stop 'without prejudice' and restart if it ever came out. It's all a bit opaque (because they were literally arguing using redacted emails from CIG sent during discovery). But that seems to be the size of it.

Settlement followed soon after.

We don't know much more than that really. CIG announced in their UK filings that they'd secured full access to Cryengine. But that doesn't really tell us how they secured it. Did they have to pay through the nose for it, and agree to future royalties if Squadron launched as a stand-alone game? Did it get thrown in as part of a 'your case is dead, avoid court costs this way' romp over Cry? No idea.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

mkvltra posted:

They bought a professional coffee shop barista station for their office so everyone could make their own fancy coffees (because obviously, this is standard knowledge). This led to some product spillage.

This piece of professional equipment was paired with a… slightly less professional choice of worktop material: untreated stone. It looked very nice. For a while. Then it became quite clear why you don't really see it in a dirty setting, namely that untreated stone is surprisingly porous and will pick up stains, discolourations, and soak up liquids like no-one's business. To use it as a work surface, you want to polish it and apply some kind of protective lacquer or other surface treatment to keep the dirt off and liquid outside. This would make it look less nice, but make it functional instead.

“Look less nice, but more functional” is anathema to everything CI¬G holds dear.

After a while, though, it was still not functional but had acquired the general colouration and toning, and looked about as (or slightly less) nice as a first-year student's coffee pot after a two-week cram session… except much much larger.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 11, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Muscle Tracer posted:

I wonder at what point the dev team is going to realize that rail guns, FTL travel, and the like are not possible with real materials, therefore impossible in their engine... and therefore declare that none of those things will be in the game anymore, and this is now a solely in-atmosphere cargo plane simulator.

This already exists as a game that is probably hugely more complex than CIG could hope to achieve as "Frontier Pilot Simulator".

Despite the hokey name it is pretty complex and detailed and well beyond the capabilities of CIG to re-engineer.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Finally saw a good headline for star citizen this morning

Star Citizen Developers Fed Up After Being Expected To Work During Devastating Texas Snowstorm

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

CIG isn't like other AAA studios ok? This is a new paradigm in development and is how AAAA games are made.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Heeeyy speaking of International Women's Day

quote:

As far as other offices were concerned, the week was business as usual. This, according to three sources, was exemplified by the VP of HR sending out an email asking employees to participate in an International Women’s Day promotion while completely failing to acknowledge that some of those women were in mortal peril.

“I was reached out [to] by our head of HR about a women’s week thing happening in March,” said one source. “No word on ‘Hey hope everything is OK with you in Austin’ and then getting to what they needed to say. There were others who had issues with the timing of the message and their lack of empathy. I even approached them with the concerns and only received frustration and lack of understanding on why what they did was not OK. Basically was told that we needed to get over it.”

Is Mae Demming still head of HR?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I haven't followed star citizen much in the last year or so because it's generally too boring, but last I had heard sandy was completely gone (and probably not coincidentally had split up with c. roberts). I would assume some psychos she hired, full of sandy energy, are still kicking around though

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Well yep that's pretty drat lovely

Can't help but get distracted by these shiny things at the end though

quote:

“With all those things on top of a game that feels like it’s coming closer and closer to a gacha for expensive ships and no actual gameplay, useless features being constantly shoved in and removed, where marketing holds absolute power over any other department, employees start to feel disheartened after awhile.”

Ouchhh

And as a bonus

quote:

Sources cited the company’s tendency to internally tout record earnings while offering low pay (by Austin standards)... as well as animation studio layoffs

Hell I didn't even know Austin still had much in the way of dev, I thought it was practically a shell, mainly doing PU live build maintenance or something. But interesting to hear they're low balling out there on wages. We do get those periodic signals that CIG pays lower than average.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah never mind just another hit piece by big gaming trying to stop CIG.

https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/1370060606875832328

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Their HR department should be stopping them from making company posts like that and let them come up with an official response or no response.

Super dumb.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if there is any shred of truth to this and let's be honest there probably is than Zyloh is being a massive idiot coming out with a statement like that and calling the whole thing a lie.

Also "asking a load of people" if they were mistreated by management by someone who works at the company as a PR mouth piece is not going to get you any honest answers.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 11, 2021

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Zaphod42 posted:

Do plants bend when you touch them in SC? No. Do tires wear down over time in SC? No.

Also, having to replace your tires in GTA would be exceptionally tedious and not fun. Having cars with immobilizers would just be frustrating. But these people have no idea how game design works.

I mean, the average amount of time you spend with any one car in GTA is like three minutes, so it doesn't even make sense that they would feel like not having wear and tear on the tires was some sort of deficiency.

I do seem to recall hearing a rumor back when GTA 4 was in development that each car would have a fuel gauge and that cars could run out of gas. I don't know if that was just a rumor or if it was actually a planned feature at some point, but I can't imagine anything more asinine. That poo poo isn't fun! Hijacking cars, driving recklessly, and avoiding the police is fun! Having your car sputter and die on the side of the road because you didn't stop at a gas station and spend three minutes topping off the fuel tank isn't fun. It's a pointless waste of time. Adding poo poo like that isn't immersive because the novelty would wear off after the second time you had to do it, and afterwards it just becomes busywork--a hollow, mindless chore added not to enhance the player's sense of engagement but as an obstacle to it.

Seriously, if Star Citizen ever implements "wear and tear" to vehicles, what would having to change the tires before a mission actually add to the experience other than "about 5 minutes"?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think rockstar likes to reach a compromise with immersive gameplay systems like that where opting in gives you an entirely non-necessary bonus for roleplaying that you could also completely ignore. See eg everything related to caring for your horse in red dead redemption 2. I could completely see them doing something like that in the next GTA though it's a bit more of a stretch logically to give your car a boost because you stopped to gas it up than equivalent for a horse I suppose.

The level of design sophistication required for considerations like this is, it goes without saying, something chris roberts will literally never acquire

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol tyler you gently caress, of course you didn't have to use PTO because Chris Roberts, realizing what a bad loving look it was, gave everyone the week paid after employees were like wtf

quote:

[...]and ultimately, CIG director Chris Roberts sent out an email, which has been viewed by Kotaku, telling employees that they would “get fully paid this cycle.” One source also said that the studio manager and VP of HR have recently been doing “damage control” by speaking to individuals about their experiences during the snowstorm.

But, sources agreed, the damage has already been done. Moreover, given the track humanity is currently on, the ravages of climate change are likely to get worse over time, not better. Employees are not confident CIG will treat them any differently next time something like this happens.
meanwhile they are touting out HR peeps to say "EVERYTHING IS GREAT, WHEN MY PARENTS DIED CIG SENT ME COOKIES"
https://twitter.com/CinderfallTV/status/1370070937371086850
and another
https://twitter.com/Kraiklyn1/status/1370066963578433540

because no one cares to actually read the article, this is just more NEWS BAD, STAR CITIZEN GOOD bullshit

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://i.imgur.com/JY1J4OK.mp4

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

This belongs in the Louvre.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Their HR department should be stopping them from making company posts like that and let them come up with an official response or no response.

Super dumb.

The official response of CIGs HR department is no response.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Snow storm gently caress up notwithstanding there is also this additional bit at the end:

quote:

““While I think the company ultimately came to the right decision...CIG’s slow and hesitant response and general lack of communication hit hard for employees that are already low on morale and feel this company doesn’t care about them,” said one source. "With all those things on top of a game that feels like it’s coming closer and closer to a gacha for expensive ships and no actual gameplay, useless features being constantly shoved in and removed, where marketing holds absolute power over any other department, employees start to feel disheartened after awhile.”

Even CIG´s own staff know what is up.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Edit: imgur doesn’t share with audio from iOS? Balls. Any suggestions? It’s very cursed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Well, in that very video they bring up a point that I made earlier. Why the gently caress don't they have drones to do everything?

Somebody was like "why not just have a ____ drone?" and the lead designer guy got all angry face and was like "because then why don't you have drones for everything!" and... yeah! Why DON'T you?

I mean gameplay comes first but since their game is so hard built on immersion and fidelity, how do you explain that away? Its 21st century tech, they would obviously have it available.

So yeah they're completely fine with saying "this doesn't exist because I said so" and "this works because it does" so again, the whole "lets make everything out of REAL materials" is actually just :jerkbag:

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
I'm very confused about this article, CIG has been nothing but great to me. I even stomped over to my subordinates' cubicles with hate in my eyes and asked them if they were as confused as I was and they all said they were confused too because CIG had always been there for them and provided them opportunities like letting them compile the codebase on their desktops to create ambient CPU heat to prevent hypothermia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, in that very video they bring up a point that I made earlier. Why the gently caress don't they have drones to do everything?

Somebody was like "why not just have a ____ drone?" and the lead designer guy got all angry face and was like "because then why don't you have drones for everything!" and... yeah! Why DON'T you?

I mean gameplay comes first but since their game is so hard built on immersion and fidelity, how do you explain that away? Its 21st century tech, they would obviously have it available.

So yeah they're completely fine with saying "this doesn't exist because I said so" and "this works because it does" so again, the whole "lets make everything out of REAL materials" is actually just :jerkbag:

Realism in ship constitution would also imply a realistic flight model, which means Newtonian, and that in turn would imply flying past each other at thousands or tens of thousands of kph, which would make ww2 style dogfightsimpossible. From what I understand, SC design is based on a highly intuitive and arbitrary version of the rule of cool. In other words, the concept is self contradictory which is why it’s not going to work, regardless of how much server meshing and quantum AI blockchain they throw at it.

But I guess that was said a hundred times already in this thread.