Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

I think its fundamentally this. In a late expansion cycle Sims franchise in particular bug fixes simultaneously take a significant amount of testing resources to make sure you aren't breaking the game elsewhere, and quite frankly doesn't buy you much. When your average sale plays the game for less than 16 hours, bug fixes that aren't egregious or obvious in an old content pack simply don't warrant the cost of fixing it for the current franchise management. If those bugs coincidentally get fixed while working on new content great, but no one is going to pass on Sims 4: To the Moon because the dig sites in Jungle Adventure stopped working. If they got to the point of noticing x bug, they are already on board the franchise 100% and will buy anything, so its a sure thing, or they just occasionally buy a lot of packs on sale and they'll get the new poo poo on sale same as the old anyway.

I dunno. I stopped buying stuff around Vampires because new stuff kept breaking everything and overall quality seemed to drop. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Maybe you're right and at this point in the long tail it's more or less just the people who buy everything regardless, so who gives a gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
ME: Creates loner sim who just wants to Dumpster-dive and garden in peace, puts her on island.

NEIGHBORS: Oh hey we've never met but I'm just gonna let myself in and eat this half a grilled cheese then fall asleep on the floor.

#VisitSulani

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Me: Makes a hotheaded sim who yells at their apartment neighbors for loving too loudly. Sends them an angry text right after.

Neighbor: Aaaw sorry you're feeling bad, want to hang out somewhere and blow off some steam?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Leal posted:

Me: Makes a hotheaded sim who yells at their apartment neighbors for loving too loudly. Sends them an angry text right after.

Neighbor: Aaaw sorry you're feeling bad, want to hang out somewhere and blow off some steam?

Swingers

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Esports for your dollhouse?
https://simscommunity.info/2021/03/10/the-sims-5-might-have-a-competitive-mode/

quote:

3 new job positions have opened up in EA Redwood, EA Austin and EA Canada all looking for a Backend Software Enginner who will help develop features and prototypes for an upcoming Sims game.

In the listing they’ve mentioned a particularly interesting task regarding web services and “cheating prevention”:

Develop responsive, resilient, massively scalable, and globally available web services that support millions of players

Creatively blend security best practices and original techniques to keep user data secure and prevent cheating

360 no scope splash around in puddles?

Waterbed Wendy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 10, 2021

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That sounds to me like they're gonna be trying online Sims again. Cheat prevention also includes things like preventing hackers from griefing regular users.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Online Sims 5 is inevitable and also the loving worst idea.

Just barely dodged the bullet with Sims 4 and even then the bullet paralyzed the game instead of outright killing it.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Sims 4 sold 200 million copies so if that's paralyzed then lol.

I would like open world/mmo sims as long as I could play offline if I needed to.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Sims 4 sold 200 million copies so if that's paralyzed then lol.

I would like open world/mmo sims as long as I could play offline if I needed to.

I'm referring to game quality, not game success.

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
It's baffling to me that EA seems to completely misunderstand why people like/play their game in the first place. They keep shoveling out all this crap that nobody wants! Literally no one wanted Sims 4 to be online and why would they change their minds for 5..? I can't think of anything more unappealing than playing my dollhouse sandbox game with random online griefers competing for SimsPoints or w/e poo poo they'll come up with.

Ofc I know the answer is putting out whatever grabs the most cash because capitalism, but there's people who have been playing this game (myself included) for 20 freaking years. I feel like those are the people they should be looking to for answers on what folks actually want to play, what they find fun and appealing.

Sims is ostensibly a life simulation game but instead of life and personality they release game packs where you can befriend dust bunnies, for some reason, and it's broken as poo poo to boot. They somehow managed to make witches and vampires boring. How do you even.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I can understand that some people are down with the Sims as Second Life, but most people I know, including myself, just want to play dolls in peace, whether that’s through dress up, dollhouse building, or storytelling (or all three).

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

I can understand that some people are down with the Sims as Second Life, but most people I know, including myself, just want to play dolls in peace, whether that’s through dress up, dollhouse building, or storytelling (or all three).

I like that too and I truly hope there is a separate way to play by yourself. Looking at games like gta and rdr2, hopefully they will do something similar where you can play completely by yourself or you can hop to online and do different sims stuff.

If they force it to be completely online then I would be annoyed by that for sure.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If its always online people can't mod it and will pay for microkits.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

hopeandjoy posted:

what if there were modes for both.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
With the current state of the Sims and online game modes I'd almost bet on asynchronous being the core of it all in a way that's giving different UI to the community features with the option of visiting synchronous community lots and public houses.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How would an online sims game work? Would they go with the sims online of yesteryear approach, or would they do some sort of sim city 2013 where you live in a neighborhood and you got your neighbors as other players and depending on what each player does it effects the neighborhood.

XxXGokulordxx has been dropping trash all over the place so the neighborhood is leaning towards polluted. Hopefully everyone votes on a NAP that will fine him for littering, assuming ItsephebaphiliaDAD doesn't use the money they've poopsocked to just buy enough influence to fail it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I need to be left alone with my sims

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

If its always online people can't mod it and will pay for microkits.

From what I can tell from their forums the developers seem to be friendly with modders. That doesn't mean EA won't pull some poo poo, it happens, but it'd be unexpected.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

They should mark milestones as you play a family and upload those to the server
Then when you start a new game it populates the world with other players Sims and those Sims will go through their lives the same way the player had them go.

So basically every skill level, romance, job promotion, etc would fire off at the exact time in their lives that it did for the player that created them. Maybe even have a "high quality Sims only" switch when you start a new game so only Sims with written backstories with a full life of milestones spawn in. This would create a pretty realistic "simulation" in your world.

In my opinion that's the best way to implement online into the Sims. Better simulation and if done right you wouldn't even notice it's happening. Which means they definitely won't do it.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Look at the GTA5 RP stuff, that could be something EA is looking to capitalize the on.

Open world, jobs, interiors... It's still an extreme stretch, especially with transportation between zones or different major areas, but I could easily see an exec pointing while saying "I want that".

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Leal posted:

would they do some sort of sim city 2013 where you live in a neighborhood and you got your neighbors as other players and depending on what each player does it effects the neighborhood.

This was almost certainly how Sims 4 would have been if they went through with their plans to make it online only.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Finally the return of Sims Online

not counting the server emulator that came out last year or something

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I will not be assessed by the Willow Creek Neighborhood #009933's HOA for my pink flamingos or the bugged wishing well that occasionally resets lot 7. That is lot 7's problem not ,ine!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Once EA abandons Sims 4 maybe modders can make it perfect without fear of breaking script?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Ranked, competitive Sims is everything I ever wanted. So you all on the leaderboard for the 100 baby challenge.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I just need to call 30 more simmers to come Hang Out on my lot before the end of Friday to break into Platinum League. If you get an invite from me please accept, TIA

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

This was almost certainly how Sims 4 would have been if they went through with their plans to make it online only.

Yeah, instanced neighborhoods with eerily empty and lifeless houses, worlds populated by equally lifeless sims without much in the way of unique identity or personality, incredibly rudimentary AI for actual life simulation things, a client-server model backend that falls apart at the slightest provocation, it's all there.

If EA hadn't been loving around with their dumbshit online only approach and the refactoring had been given an appropriate amount of time after that fell apart (no EA, a year isn't good enough), and, let's face it, Maxis as we know it today was staffed with slightly more competent people and middle management that has ambitions other than a pat on the back from EA's leadership, we might've gotten something ultimately pretty solid out of the whole deal. Open world could've come back in some form since the tech was already there, just needed improvement and create-a-style could've also stuck around since there would be no need to transfer all that data back and forth between the clients and the server.

Instead we got a sort of a wish-fulfillment simulator dollhouse that's still missing features six and a half years later, breaks regularly in annoying ways, sort of works in normal play if you ignore simulation lag, set in a world where all the NPCs and townspeople are basically just set dressing when you're not playing as them. I can't honestly believe Maxis is very happy with the game as it is either.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

There are definitely better and worse ways they could approach online play in a Sims game. It wouldn't be surprising if someone at EA looked at Animal Crossing getting huge last year and said "this has a lot in common with The Sims, what does it do we don't?" and focused in on the multiplayer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Before everyone gets too excited or dismayed about Sims Online 2, you need a security and anti cheat architect for something like the current Sims 4 community even before any more synchronous or more tightly integrated asynchronous things. Or else you get people in like day 3 who figured out the Killing Word is the gnome workbench which let's you insert unsanitized assembly code on the work of art names and you download a lot of gnomes that format your C drive.

Agree it is probably for more than that but you can't understand the depth of their MP design just knowing they want an anti cheat person.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

zedprime posted:

Before everyone gets too excited or dismayed about Sims Online 2, you need a security and anti cheat architect for something like the current Sims 4 community even before any more synchronous or more tightly integrated asynchronous things. Or else you get people in like day 3 who figured out the Killing Word is the gnome workbench which let's you insert unsanitized assembly code on the work of art names and you download a lot of gnomes that format your C drive.

Agree it is probably for more than that but you can't understand the depth of their MP design just knowing they want an anti cheat person.

That's true, the job listing isn't saying "hey we need you to make an mmo" so it's kind of shakey. It doesn't even specifically mention the sims in the ad, just EA, but EA have said in the past they are still interested in doing an online massive neighborhood thing, and specifically mentioned sort of competitive element. I think the timing is right for them to try again. To what extent they will implement this online stuff I have no idea.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

It would be rad to be able to invite people into my sims game for drop in/drop out co-op play, especially if it does like crusader kings 2 did and lets you use all host's dlc while you're in their game. Much more than that sounds like a nightmare though.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A good DLC would be a micro-sellable genetics in create a sim, so like elf ears would be 25 cents, BUT they could be inheritable so a metagame would be finding dlc genetics you could bang into your household and seeing if you could get them all for free.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

A good DLC would be a micro-sellable genetics in create a sim, so like elf ears would be 25 cents, BUT they could be inheritable so a metagame would be finding dlc genetics you could bang into your household and seeing if you could get them all for free.

"I spent 10 hours yesterday grinding elves!"

"Did you mean grinding for elf ears?"

"I know what I said."

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Me watching my sim woohoo-try for baby with John oliver : Bang. That. Clit. Tickler. Nose. In. To. My. Family.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont really have any interest in the sims as it is. i only really liked sims 3 as a clumsy way to play a new Creatures game with humans. they should make that instead of this

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

They could do another online spinoff with original ideas (so not just rehashing the same old formula from previous online games) and something resembling a campaign like the old console games to give it structure. That way they could cut out a lot of the Sims game stuff that's not needed - simpler or limited build/buy on prebuilt lots, only one lifestage, etc. and make the online content engaging and fun. But I really don't want online poo poo anywhere near Sims 5 because even if it's optional, it will still be another huge resource drain which will make the single player stuff worse due to a split focus.

Plus it's EA so I already know they'll come up with some terrible games-as-a-service model for it that will inevitably crash and burn and take down the game with it.

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010
The two things I remember about sims online were pizza oven skill grinding and the online teen brothel scandal: https://massivelyop.com/2015/07/11/the-game-archaeologist-the-sims-online

Sims 5 Online would be an absolute nightmare to police. How would they even handle custom content? Probably not at all, I assume.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Frances Nurples posted:

It would be rad to be able to invite people into my sims game for drop in/drop out co-op play, especially if it does like crusader kings 2 did and lets you use all host's dlc while you're in their game. Much more than that sounds like a nightmare though.

Yeah, my friends don't need to know about my stable of hot half-elf studmuffins.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ruflux posted:

Yeah, instanced neighborhoods with eerily empty and lifeless houses, worlds populated by equally lifeless sims without much in the way of unique identity or personality, incredibly rudimentary AI for actual life simulation things, a client-server model backend that falls apart at the slightest provocation, it's all there.

If EA hadn't been loving around with their dumbshit online only approach and the refactoring had been given an appropriate amount of time after that fell apart (no EA, a year isn't good enough), and, let's face it, Maxis as we know it today was staffed with slightly more competent people and middle management that has ambitions other than a pat on the back from EA's leadership, we might've gotten something ultimately pretty solid out of the whole deal. Open world could've come back in some form since the tech was already there, just needed improvement and create-a-style could've also stuck around since there would be no need to transfer all that data back and forth between the clients and the server.

Instead we got a sort of a wish-fulfillment simulator dollhouse that's still missing features six and a half years later, breaks regularly in annoying ways, sort of works in normal play if you ignore simulation lag, set in a world where all the NPCs and townspeople are basically just set dressing when you're not playing as them. I can't honestly believe Maxis is very happy with the game as it is either.

That explains the weird half-steps backwards I noticed when transitioning from 3 to 4, I hadn't been aware they were trying for an online-only approach. It makes a lot more sense now. I mean, the design decisions do from that perspective, the choice to go online-only still seems pants-on-head dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Are the kits worth purchasing ?