Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Excelzior posted:

HITMAN is a puzzle game

instead of jigsaws you have murders

CLITMAN is really hard because I got arthritis in my wrist and the ball man keeps looking at me with searing open windows of rage blowing hot air out his skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I like the Yakuza games but the nightclub simulator is twice as good as the rest of the game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Videogame fun should be measured on the "should i go wash the dishes" scale. If a game is more of a chore than going and doing the dishes its a bad game

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Every open world game except ones that hardcore lean onto some kind of realistic angle or survival bent need to just add loving instant fast travel. I literally play games like GTA5 or Mafia 3 by browsing SA on my phone as I drive to the next location in my peripheral vision. Like it's a complete waste of time.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Videogame fun should be measured on the "should i go wash the dishes" scale. If a game is more of a chore than going and doing the dishes its a bad game

I think I posted here once that a game has to be more fun than playing chess against a computer for me to consider it worth my time

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Excelzior posted:

HITMAN is a puzzle game

instead of jigsaws you have murders

It's just a lucasarts adventure game with sane logic

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mount and Blade 2 should have magic, monsters, and fantasy themes. But only on the periphery, it’s 90% peasant brutalizing simulator.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

jokes posted:

Mount and Blade 2 should have magic, monsters, and fantasy themes. But only on the periphery, it’s 90% peasant brutalizing simulator.

Mount & Blade 2 should have NPCs that track you on the map and when you run into them it zooms onto the field level and zooms onto the randomly generated face of the NPC who chased you down who then looks at you diligently directly into the camera and says "Tracked u down to say u wuz gay"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poverty goat posted:

It's just a lucasarts adventure game with sane logic

Where you can turn it into a Sierra adventure game for everyone else if you get bored.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I missed the FFVII: remake chat a little, but its free on PSN at the moment and I like it enough mechanically and visually that I'll probably finish it, but everything about the character design and dialogue is really retrograde in a "I think Barrett might be kind of a racist caricature and I cringe whenever Tifa does that little apology bow" kind of way that I wish was addressed for the remake and also the plot might be stupid in a way I was too dumb to register at 13.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I think I posted here once that a game has to be more fun than playing chess against a computer for me to consider it worth my time

Its a pretty cool barometer honestly

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FF7R is made by a Japanese company so sometimes the characters will do Japanese things like an apology bow but through an uncanny valley filter because it's a video game, I'm sorry you had to find out this way

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Barret is so much less of a racist caricature in the remake than he was in the original

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

jokes posted:

FF7R is made by a Japanese company so sometimes the characters will do Japanese things like an apology bow, I'm sorry you had to find out this way

"I'm strong enough to take care of myself, gomen ne!"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fridge corn posted:

Barret is so much less of a racist caricature in the remake than he was in the original

#$&@ !

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The animations and characterization in FF7 truly are savagely cringe inducing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fridge corn posted:

And the original's translation didn't help in that regard, iirc.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Are you people who hate on Dishonored the same fucks gushing over the badly designed and boring Yakuza games?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Western studios should just give up making videogames, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Cyberpunk lol, I've just realised most of what I've played in 2021 has been Japanese and brilliant, Monster Hunter, Yakuza, Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls 3 - not just good games but outstandingly good games.

Like I'm not really that invested in Japanese culture or media, you'll never catch me eating sushi or watching anime or saying arigato or kon'nichiwa out loud but when it comes to video-games Japan is miles ahead of everything else.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What the gently caress dude! The beat em up bits are far and away the most boring bits of Yakuza games just ahead of the boring stories that people wouldn't give a poo poo about if they were presented in English.

I think you should stop having opinions

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tonfa posted:

You understand how the game where people punch each other a lot would not work as a doom clone, right

japan has gun control

the yaks really do not shoot peeps much

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
like, the yakuza games were rated as decently realistic by actualy yakuza

https://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

which i really dont think would be a statement able to be made by any other game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

which i really dont think would be a statement able to be made by any other game

Just as a general heads up, the author of that piece is apparently known for outright fabricating stuff about Japan and posing as an expert, so treat it as a comedy article.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drat it it was funny as hell

ah well

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

i am not a Yakuza so I can't speak to that, but I am super into Yakuza movies and one of the reasons I like the games is because the characters are modeled after the actors who keep showing up in the movies. Like if Joe Pesci and Tony Sirico were in a game about the mob. The melodramatic storylines that are about honor and redemption and brotherhood poo poo are also really prevalent in the Yakuza movies too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

japan has gun control

the yaks really do not shoot peeps much

I don't want my shooting games to be realistic. In fact that's the loving last thing I want because I'm not a god drat sociopath.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i am not a Yakuza so I can't speak to that, but I am super into Yakuza movies and one of the reasons I like the games is because the characters are modeled after the actors who keep showing up in the movies. Like if Joe Pesci and Tony Sirico were in a game about the mob. The melodramatic storylines that are about honor and redemption and brotherhood poo poo are also really prevalent in the Yakuza movies too.

I'm reminded of the time one of the actors from some Yakuza game got busted for coke. Sega freaked out and recalled the game and then replaced the dude.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

signalnoise posted:

I think you should stop having opinions

Absolutely not. He's one of the best things about this thread and his wrong opinions are a huge part of that.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't want my shooting games to be realistic. In fact that's the loving last thing I want because I'm not a god drat sociopath.

I absolutely hate Call of Duty for this - the modern ones at least. It's all gun/military fetishization but sanitized for very little kids.

I've been playing a lot of Warzone - the battle royale mode of CoD:MW because that's the only game a friend of mine will play online. At first I was ambivalent but I absolutely hate it now. To me it feels like Postal without the satire.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

fridge corn posted:

Darn shame about all the other characters though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Also for gently caress's sake I was camping behind a door with a light machine gun on a tripod and emptied half of the magazine into some teenager's crotch, but he was carrying a bright neon smg so of course he would kill me first and taunt me.

I'm not saying I wanted to watch his reproductive organs fly out his new rear end in a top hat but war is hell.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

christmas boots posted:

Absolutely not. He's one of the best things about this thread and his wrong opinions are a huge part of that.

It's cool when you contradict yourself so hard that at least half your opinions can be called wrong

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Western studios should just give up making videogames, Assassins Creed, Fifa, Cyberpunk lol, I've just realised most of what I've played in 2021 has been Japanese and brilliant, Monster Hunter, Yakuza, Bayonetta 2, Dark Souls 3 - not just good games but outstandingly good games.

Like I'm not really that invested in Japanese culture or media, you'll never catch me eating sushi or watching anime or saying arigato or kon'nichiwa out loud but when it comes to video-games Japan is miles ahead of everything else.
The games you list are kind of telling, there's only a few genres that really get much development in japan. Unless you're into character action, jrpgs, or mobile there's really not a lot there outside of nintendo and the odd release like resident evil or acecombat.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I like the Yakuza games but the nightclub simulator is twice as good as the rest of the game.

It really is. I spent so many hours in 0 running the nightclub and upgrading my girls. It was so simple but the music and visuals were mesmerizing and Majima is just fun.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

christmas boots posted:

is "you'll never catch me eating sushi" even an opinion? more like a weird unasked for statement about the guys sushi eating habits (or lack thereof)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Every open world game except ones that hardcore lean onto some kind of realistic angle or survival bent need to just add loving instant fast travel. I literally play games like GTA5 or Mafia 3 by browsing SA on my phone as I drive to the next location in my peripheral vision. Like it's a complete waste of time.

gta5 has fast travel, you just have to pay for it (taxi)

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 11, 2021

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

He acts like an old british caricature that terry pratchett might have written just so other characters could roll their eyes at him when he says something involving his own or other cultures. And I really love him for that

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

is "you'll never catch me eating sushi" even an opinion? more like a weird unasked for statement about the guys sushi eating habits (or lack thereof)

He was already made fun of for this about 60 pages ago when that post was made.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The last self aware Call of Duty was released in 2007.

Thief 1998 > Dishonored

Prey 2006 > Prey 2017

New Hitman > Old Hitman

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 11, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
drat, looks like all the devs that made the industry good in 1998-2007 got out and can now see their kids again. im happy for em

except the hitman peeps, sorry they cant see their kids

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Earwicker posted:

is "you'll never catch me eating sushi" even an opinion? more like a weird unasked for statement about the guys sushi eating habits (or lack thereof

Nah not really it was just a silly little summary of the things rabidsquid does to justify the 800 hours he put into Yakuza games

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
if Dishonored was just Thief 98 with much, much better graphics, it would have been a masterpiece. Thief 98 has the very best stealth mechanics ever designed and it remains a mystery to me why modern developers are unable to duplicate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The original thief games were loving marvellous, legitimately my favourite games of all time