Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

StrixNebulosa posted:

DIFFERENT TROUBLE update aka I'm not sure this man knows how to run a kickstarter.

The man in question was an early adopter of crowdfunding in general. Sadly, it's moved past him in many respects. His reasonable goals and history of work just doesn't draw in the numbers like it once did, and an expansion to a new, not particularly successful project doesn't get Stolze the eyes his new editions of Reign or UA did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Buck Wildman posted:

"pay me to play my game with you" is a ks classic not sure what you mean

Well, there's also the fact that the KS campaign page is only about 5 paragraphs long with nothing but text and a dry-rear end video of him in an odd wig.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Zombicide: Undead or Alive has hit a wall in its final hours. They've run out of stretch goals after hitting $3.2M, and are instead adding an additional copy of KSE zombie pieces that get the most votes in a survey linked in their latest update.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I've never played Everdell but it's got a big-box/new expansions out and I'm curious about folks' opinions on the game. Looks a bit cute, but curious as to whether it has any gameplay chops beneath the hood.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Memnaelar posted:

I've never played Everdell but it's got a big-box/new expansions out and I'm curious about folks' opinions on the game. Looks a bit cute, but curious as to whether it has any gameplay chops beneath the hood.

I've only played it once, but it was really fun that one time, and the art is adorable. I liked how the game state flows between the seasons (and how players don't have to wait for everyone to finish before proceeding to the next season) and how it can actually be kind of a bad thing to linger too long. In that game I played, I managed to string out my 2nd season plays for 2-4 turns after the other players moved on to the 3rd, and that ended up kind of screwing me over later on because I was just starting the final season when they were finishing it. That left me with very few choices on where I could place my workers, with all the best spots being claimed, and I ended up basically wasting my last turn or two because there wasn't anything useful to do with them.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Stumbled onto Stonetop today, and am pretty intrigued. I will instantly back anything that looks even vaguely like King of Dragon Pass, and a PbtA iron-age fantasy village RPG is about the closest I've seen thus far. I haven't dug too much into the samples, but design-wise it sounds like a Dungeon World descendant.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Haystack posted:

Stumbled onto Stonetop today, and am pretty intrigued. I will instantly back anything that looks even vaguely like King of Dragon Pass, and a PbtA iron-age fantasy village RPG is about the closest I've seen thus far. I haven't dug too much into the samples, but design-wise it sounds like a Dungeon World descendant.

Their previous books were Dungeon World supplements, so. Safe bet, I think.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Memnaelar posted:

It does not. The core game play loop is 'did you draw the extremely obvious combos? You win!'

It doesn't have much substantive decision making.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It does not. The core game play loop is 'did you draw the extremely obvious combos? You win!'

It doesn't have much substantive decision making.

Bummer, it has such a nice looking box

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

chaosbreather posted:

Bummer, it has such a nice looking box

Bare in mind I am a sour grog. It actually reminds me a lot of Wingspan mechanically and if you like Wingspan you'll probably like this (and visa versa)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
My group really likes Everdell. It's not an insanely deep worker placement, but I've enjoyed every play of it and I'll probably be going in on the expansions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stellaris: Infinite Legacy launches in six hours. If you sign up for the Academy Games newsletter and pledge in the first 48 hours you get a free mini and a Steam key for the PC game.

I'm interested - "infinite legacy" isn't just a subtitle, it's a reference to the game having a legacy style system where past games affect future ones, but which doesn't involve the permanent alteration of components so you can evolve the metagame indefinitely. The example given was a player blowing up a planet. If you do it, your Civ suffers penalties to diplomacy not only in the current game but in future games, but those penalties can also later be reversed by choosing to play in a different way.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I've got Everdell and all of the current expansions and really love it. The theming and components are top-notch and it's easy enough to explain to new players on games night while maintaining enough novelty and satisfying moments for me to play over and over.

If you like the theme and are looking for a mid-weight game with really nice art and components then I'd recommend it but it's definitely not the deepest or most complex worker placement game available.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Jedit posted:

Stellaris: Infinite Legacy launches in six hours. If you sign up for the Academy Games newsletter and pledge in the first 48 hours you get a free mini and a Steam key for the PC game.

I'm interested - "infinite legacy" isn't just a subtitle, it's a reference to the game having a legacy style system where past games affect future ones, but which doesn't involve the permanent alteration of components so you can evolve the metagame indefinitely. The example given was a player blowing up a planet. If you do it, your Civ suffers penalties to diplomacy not only in the current game but in future games, but those penalties can also later be reversed by choosing to play in a different way.

This absolutely seems like my jam, but as with all things I'd be concerned about getting it on the table. I've followed it to have a deeper look when it launches - thanks for sharing it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/bravemule/status/1370025042445094926

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This only has an hour and still isn't quite there yet, so a long shot but I think it looks neat - a big heap of magical items, illustrated in a grogbaity style.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaeltlombardi/a-catalogue-chimerical/

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

welp, they said the magic words that it was inspired by Invisible Cities, I gotta pledge now. Thanks for this!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This only has an hour and still isn't quite there yet, so a long shot but I think it looks neat - a big heap of magical items, illustrated in a grogbaity style.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaeltlombardi/a-catalogue-chimerical/

Holy poo poo it funded! I tossed it some cash but other generous backers took up the slack!

e: :allears:

quote:

Hey, folks!

So, uh, we funded in the literal final hour! What a wild, ride. I actually was drafting an update about missing funding and lessons learned from the campaign - I'm still going to post it because I think it's good and valuable, but it's just no longer true.

We funded! And not only did we fund, we skyrocketed right past the funding and unlocked our first stretch goal, which expands the art that Aaron is going to do - fully half of the items in the Catalogue will be illustrated!!

Not only that, you beautiful and incredible folks unlocked so many goddamn community copies. You proved that this model is more than just experimental: it's a repeatable model for putting art and games into the hands of folks who otherwise couldn't afford them. Not just digital copies: full on offset print copies.

All 372 of you came together and pledged $9049 to secure 407 digital and EIGHTY ONE PHYSICAL community copies!!! That's a frankly ridiculous $6828 worth of zines you are putting out into the world. You funded that, you made this possible. You are amazing.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 11, 2021

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Leraika posted:

welp, they said the magic words that it was inspired by Invisible Cities, I gotta pledge now. Thanks for this!

Well poo poo, I guess I'm backing too.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Well, the stellaris game is going to be about $230 including shipping if I want to get the expansions which mean I can play with five players, so I’m sitting that one out.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

fallingdownjoe posted:

Well, the stellaris game is going to be about $230 including shipping if I want to get the expansions which mean I can play with five players, so I’m sitting that one out.

The deluxe edition is basically $60 more for the 5th & 6th players and the expansion which is literally just the...stretch goal cards. Stretch goals they clearly weren't prepared for.

They're also getting hammered pretty hard in the comments for a number of issues

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CODChimera posted:

The deluxe edition is basically $60 more for the 5th & 6th players and the expansion which is literally just the...stretch goal cards. Stretch goals they clearly weren't prepared for.

They're also getting hammered pretty hard in the comments for a number of issues

I'm pledged so I can get EB, but I'm quite prepared to drop. I'm surprised that Academy Games would fumble this, though, they've been very reliable in the past.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It's kind of a mess of a KS. $110 base, which doesn't get stretch goals, $170 for the stretch goals (and 5-6 player, which i think most people don't really need). Early bird, but that gets you a Steam key for Stellaris and a mini...or you could just drop $1 on Humble and get it now. No rulebook, no real details about how the game plays, no playthrough videos, no Tabletopia or Tabletop Simulator mod to try yourself. Clearly unprepared for the level of interest...and honestly I don't understand the level of interest given what they're doing so far.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Jedit posted:

I'm pledged so I can get EB, but I'm quite prepared to drop. I'm surprised that Academy Games would fumble this, though, they've been very reliable in the past.

Same. It's something I can see myself enjoying so I'm in for now to get the EB perks, but if we don't get more gameplay details before the end of the campaign and a more exciting list of stretch goals then ehh.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have the game and expansions on steam and I like it quite a bit. I just can't see $170 + shipping being reasonable for a board game version when I already have eclipse and twilight imperium. The friends I would play Stellaris with, I can just play on steam with.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
By the way, if anyone else backed Hard Wired Island and hasn't seen the update yet, they just released the soundtrack that was composed for the game. It's a bunch of background tracks in both looping and non-looping format that give me a big Snatcher vibe, and it even comes with a break track which I guess is for streamers or something. It's worth a listen if you haven't already.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
For anyone who likes the TinyD6 system (dunno how popular it is around these parts), and Tiny Supers especially, the expansion for Tiny Supers funded and is in its final week. It looks pretty rad to me, but I'm a little biased since I also worked on it:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gallantknightgames/the-gallantverse-campaign-guide

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What are people's thoughts on Stellaris atm?

Cause there are no videos and no demos available.
Just a bunch of hype videos.

I sorta want to recommend it to a friend, but the campaign isn't filling me with confidence atm.

There is definitely a bunch of 'cool things' going for it, but nothing tangible.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Stellaris game sounds cool in theory but without a rules preview it's hard to see how it'd work. General rule of no rules preview = no back applies here.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Yeah I backed early bird but I'm perfectly happy to repeal that unless we get rules and a reasonable number of reveals before the campaign's up.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

So far very true to the video game then. :haw:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jihad Joe posted:

Yeah I backed early bird but I'm perfectly happy to repeal that unless we get rules and a reasonable number of reveals before the campaign's up.

Same. But they're doing daily updates, and I'll cut them a bit of extra slack because it's a 4X from Academy Games and their track record in that genre (Fief, Mare Nostrum: Empires) is strong.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I sorta want to recommend it to a friend, but the campaign isn't filling me with confidence atm.

There is definitely a bunch of 'cool things' going for it, but nothing tangible.
So far it's an empty cash in on the license

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I think they've seriously hosed up the campaign both in structure and in terms of, as you say, not presenting any tangible details. It could still be a good game and I guess maybe even worth $170, although that seems like a stretch. They are scheduled to stream gameplay today, so we'll see how that looks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's also stupid that they tied getting the stretch goals to getting the 5-6 player expansion, which I would have zero need for. The lack of art on any of the cards also makes it a real ugly game.

It's a baffling campaign in many ways.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'd trust Academy Games on strategic games, but yeah, it's odd. Granted, I've got a bit of a moratorium on new board games myself, for obvious reasons, so I don't have much of a stake. (Full disclosure: I have a friend who's working on the campaign, and I'm acquainted with the owner of the company.)

I guess it's a question of how far the game is and how licensing plays into that. It's a stretch to say they "hosed up" the campaign given they have a million already, but it is definitely a open question as to how the game *works* to the casual backer. It'll be worth asking my friend about.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think the broad strokes idea is exciting to many, and some people are willing to back purely on the strength of that. But the campaign is missing a lot of what more experienced, careful backers look for to assess whether it's worth their money, and there are some unusual ways they've structured it that I think are mistakes. To me that is loving up the campaign. It is certainly successful already, but I think they have (possibly permanently) cost themselves significant momentum that could have led to much greater success. Certainly everyone I've heard from that was hyped about the campaign before launch has not been impressed with the actual launch. And I'm personally 100% uninterested until I see gameplay, which will have to knock my socks off to want to drop this kind of money, especially when the choice is between paying for a 5-6 player expansion I don't need or not getting all the gameplay content.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They put up a playthrough video to demonstrate how a round works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36RD5q1lDlY

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Stellaris is an easy pass as I don’t see anything it does better than any other space 4X. I own TI4, Eclipse 2.0, and Forbidden Stars filling their own respective microniche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah, nothing in the gameplay video was jumping out and grabbing me, so I cancelled. I already have Eclipse and went all-in on Hyperspace so there's not really any reason for another space-based 4X unless it's doing something super cool.