Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Another Bill posted:

Thank you, I'm trying to stay abreast of kids and COVID for sure.

I don't know if you saw this, but it sounds like great news for all those sick kids. (thread)

https://twitter.com/VirusesImmunity/status/1366067849480048643

e:
from https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus-outbreak-and-kids

It's entirely possible that back to school in September will involve mass vaccinating children. Supply won't be an issue then like it is for adults now.

Yeah I had seen that -- it's definitely encouraging! I just hope we don't let covid run through kids and teens because we've decided kids don't get sick or experience LT effects of COVID, when really it's that kids don't seem to die from COVID at nearly the same rate as other groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Jun 28, 2021

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Thrilled to get a shot that's only 60% vs 90% effective

I will be thrilled once the majority of the population have received their shots, which is the whole point, not that I personally receive the best possible vaccine as soon as possible

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Can't wait for the 0-18 demographic to get vaccinated before 18-45

Kids should certainly get it before my working-from-home rear end

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Entropic posted:

I'm calling it now that the Ontario vaccine web portal is going to end up being a debacle on par with the Phoenix pay system.

I'll share my experience signing up my grandmother, fun times:

So, the Ontario vaccine web portal for Durham Region was supposed to be open, ready to go 8am EST this past Monday. Woke up just for that, had all my grandmothers info ready to enter, and.. the website was crashing out like mad. Eventually loaded enough to see the phone line alternative if the website was failing (haha). Dialed that, number busy, tried again, worked but after selecting the necessary options, connected to a 'this number no longer in service'. At this point it's now ~6 minutes after 8am and it's feeling like they hosed this harder than a PS5 drop. So, using that experience, I went to Twitter to find the official account for this rollout and see what comments or info people have struggling with this poo poo. And wouldn't you know it, some rando that probably worked in healthcare posted a comment with a direct link to the online queue for booking a vaccine. Only had to wait a few minutes to get a turn, and the interface was clearly the same one used for booking healthcare workers and other essential people. All they did was add a drop down for 80+ adults as a risk group eligible for vaccination. Exceptionally lazy, but at least this online queue wasn't slammed like the web portal landing page. I checked 30 minutes later and they had fixed the site, but the bookings were gone at that point so big thanks to the twitter rando for that direct link!

Booked her for today, didn't have to wait in a line just show-up at the right time, first shot of Pfizer slut juice done, second shot end of June (cool poo poo). There was a lot of security; few legit cops and lots of bored guards in between each step. They list a lot of info you should bring, but all they cared about was my grandmothers healthcard. Didn't need anything else, just make sure you aren't taking any blood thinners because they might turn you away. They asked specifically about that regarding what prescriptions she was on.

Good luck getting an appointment online, can goons.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

prom candy posted:

Kids should certainly get it before my working-from-home rear end

I will probably get it last and work with kids, while living with multiple people at risk.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Isizzlehorn posted:

I'll share my experience signing up my grandmother, fun times:

So, the Ontario vaccine web portal for Durham Region was supposed to be open, ready to go 8am EST this past Monday. Woke up just for that, had all my grandmothers info ready to enter, and.. the website was crashing out like mad. Eventually loaded enough to see the phone line alternative if the website was failing (haha). Dialed that, number busy, tried again, worked but after selecting the necessary options, connected to a 'this number no longer in service'. At this point it's now ~6 minutes after 8am and it's feeling like they hosed this harder than a PS5 drop. So, using that experience, I went to Twitter to find the official account for this rollout and see what comments or info people have struggling with this poo poo. And wouldn't you know it, some rando that probably worked in healthcare posted a comment with a direct link to the online queue for booking a vaccine. Only had to wait a few minutes to get a turn, and the interface was clearly the same one used for booking healthcare workers and other essential people. All they did was add a drop down for 80+ adults as a risk group eligible for vaccination. Exceptionally lazy, but at least this online queue wasn't slammed like the web portal landing page. I checked 30 minutes later and they had fixed the site, but the bookings were gone at that point so big thanks to the twitter rando for that direct link!

Booked her for today, didn't have to wait in a line just show-up at the right time, first shot of Pfizer slut juice done, second shot end of June (cool poo poo). There was a lot of security; few legit cops and lots of bored guards in between each step. They list a lot of info you should bring, but all they cared about was my grandmothers healthcard. Didn't need anything else, just make sure you aren't taking any blood thinners because they might turn you away. They asked specifically about that regarding what prescriptions she was on.

Good luck getting an appointment online, can goons.

I had a similar experience with my dad in Toronto. Basically happened upon some random twitter person who posted the Toronto Public Health booking site before it was officially announced, booked him in and he was vaccinated the same day.

This is not how public health should work. But happy to get some benefit from being terminally online.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Both my parents got vaccination appointments already, but only because they're both retired doctors who are still working at healthcare facilities in some capacity (dad is doing surgical assistant work part-time at a hospital and mom volunteered to help her former GP colleagues with a vaccination clinic which means she has to get the shot)

As a 30-something who's able to do a lot of my job from home I'll be genuinely surprised if I get my first shot before september.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:keke:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Jun 28, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Vaccinated people can still catch it and spread it to you, but don't worry, they won't get sick! :downs:

Yeah, it's going to be tough when parents are getting called back to work vaccinated and kids are on summer break or going back to school unvaccinated.

I think the idea is that by then we're in double digit case counts or hospitalizations, so the virus isn't spreading like wildfire anymore and we can do proper contact tracing.

But really who knows, kids being vaccinated is when this thing really ends.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Considering the push is for a full reopening as soon as "enough" people have been vaccinated, looking forward to being called back into the office without ever having received one

Vaccinated people can still catch it and spread it to you, but don't worry, they won't get sick! :downs:

They will do it by age, that way everyone boss is going to get vaccinated before they do. Then they can call everyone in to catch covid from them.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rutibex posted:

They will do it by age, that way everyone boss is going to get vaccinated before they do. Then they can call everyone in to catch covid from them.

why do I have this sinking feeling the accelerated pace of vaccination is gonna slow somewhat once the "key demographic" has all gotten vaccinated

I don't buy the Ford government going balls to the wall to make sure 25-34 year olds in Toronto get the jab

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You'd think that Doug's years of dealing drugs would have prepared him for this, but

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBRr1we8cmI

me, headbanging into spring 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Virtual Russian posted:

I will probably get it last and work with kids, while living with multiple people at risk.

No doubt. Also people like me with lax WFH jobs will be able to F5 the vax website all day like we're trying to a get a PS5 while the people who actually need the vaccine are standing at a cash register getting screamed at by an anti-masker sov cit.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah frontline workers get hosed lol

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

prom candy posted:

No doubt. Also people like me with lax WFH jobs will be able to F5 the vax website all day like we're trying to a get a PS5 while the people who actually need the vaccine are standing at a cash register getting screamed at by an anti-masker sov cit.

It also makes perfect conditions for the free-rider problem. This is always a problem with vaccination but with everyone knowing exactly how many people are vaccinated *and* having to actively find a vaccine appointment, I think the problem will be amplified.

In the UK, they have GPs, care clinics etc. contacting people and inviting them to schedule a vaccine appointment, which will likely increase uptake. It also doesn't require new infrastructure that needs to be robust enough to handle massive demands like the current Canadian approaches.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
oh boy. the Catholic Church decided now was a time to tell everyone the vaccines are full of dead babies

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/catholic-bishops-astra-zeneca-vaccine-1.5945928

the qualifying statement of if you cant get the non-dead baby vaccines its cool to take the dead baby ones is an especially nice touch.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
gently caress the Catholic church right in it's wrinkly useless rear end, fucks sake

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you can feed on the soul of a dead baby just this once, for a treat

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

Dr. Alyson Kelvin, a professor at Dalhousie University and a researcher in viral immunology and vaccinology, said these human-derived cell lines are commonly used in almost all labs and "in almost every form of research."

"Although it might be upsetting to some people, the technology has helped advance some of our scientific breakthroughs, especially with COVID-19," she told CBC News.

The cell lines have been used to develop vaccines that protect humans against measles, mumps, rubella and chickenpox, and in treatments for cystic fibrosis and haemophilia.

Kelvin said the original cells for these cell lines were extracted "decades ago" and it's very hard to pinpoint exactly where the cell lines now in use came from.

so it's less about "soylent vaccine is made from aborted people" and more "abortions that were going to happen anyway led to a jar of cells that's now used to make treatments for slightly larger, more ambulatory jars of cells, including the ones who think everyone else should suffer and die for their faith"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The church of nurgle is still up to their usual hijinks then huh

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:zaurg:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Jun 28, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
imagine being a tradcath AND a convert. because i'm sure they exist

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BGrifter posted:

oh boy. the Catholic Church decided now was a time to tell everyone the vaccines are full of dead babies

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/catholic-bishops-astra-zeneca-vaccine-1.5945928

the qualifying statement of “if you can’t get the non-dead baby vaccines it’s cool to take the dead baby ones” is an especially nice touch.

Hey man, the fewer people taking the vaccine the earlier I can use it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
yeah but that's not the good stuff

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Tighclops posted:

gently caress the Catholic church right in it's wrinkly useless rear end, fucks sake

the catholic church is only into that if you're a ten year old boy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

so it's less about "soylent vaccine is made from aborted people" and more "abortions that were going to happen anyway led to a jar of cells that's now used to make treatments for slightly larger, more ambulatory jars of cells, including the ones who think everyone else should suffer and die for their faith"

that baby soul is trapped on the material realm until we stop making vaccines from it. like a lich :ohdear:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Really from a certain religious perspective Covid is just like a golden escalator lowered from heaven :angel:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Stem cells used to be the big bogeyman for evangelicals 20 years ago but I thought that idea was long dead. I hear radio ads for the canadian stem cell registry all the time.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
conservatives' whole thing is defending old poo poo and whining about how things aren't the same as before so if they're only going back 20 years for their back-assward views and general bigotry i'd say we should consider ourselves lucky

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Reality Protester posted:

Stem cells used to be the big bogeyman for evangelicals 20 years ago but I thought that idea was long dead. I hear radio ads for the canadian stem cell registry all the time.

Catholicism is so tightly entangled with institutionalized pedophilia that they cant help but think of the children

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://twitter.com/connorfletcher/status/1369427758833668098

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

imagine being a tradcath AND a convert. because i'm sure they exist

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Imagine being a "tradcath" lmao like how the gently caress do you explain that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Eh. That guy is the living embodiment of trolling.

Nothing he does means anything to him.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

infernal machines posted:

Eh. That guy is the living embodiment of trolling.

Nothing he does means anything to him.

Oh yeah, that's part of his reasoning. First he was gay just to troll his mum, then to troll progressives. But that's over now!

I just think it's funny he joined the Catholic church to rebrand after his defense of pedophilia.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Talk about doubling down

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

late-stage grifters seem to tend to turn their scam to a religious angle when they run out of ideas that work

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Talk about doubling down

:drat:

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I'm pretty sure there are 0 tradcaths who grew up in the church, they're all absolute freaks who spent most of the 00s tipping their fedoras in r/atheism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012