Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

the new ALAB is, as ever, excellent and a very good exercise in practical reason

wish there was video of that lawyer asking the expert witness how he can tell his client is black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

That's such a 00s internet way of thinking, amazing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A Russian troll farm posted:

I learned about Thomas Malthus in loving grade 9 social studies class. what the gently caress is wrong with goons

you learn how to add fractions in what, like 4th grade or some poo poo? yet i bet 80% of adults could not solve a simple problem of fraction addition. turns out most people dont remember most of what they learn in school

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

sleeptalker posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/davewiner/status/1121788700642426881

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

babypolis posted:

you learn how to add fractions in what, like 4th grade or some poo poo? yet i bet 80% of adults could not solve a simple problem of fraction addition. turns out most people dont remember most of what they learn in school

yeah, but also if you said Malthus and someone was like "what?" and you started explaining it there's a good chance they'd be like "oh yeah I learned about that"

Like something basic like pythagoras and you might get a blank look until you said "nerd with the formula for triangles" and most people would go "oh yeah, that shithead"

V. Illych L. posted:

the new ALAB is, as ever, excellent and a very good exercise in practical reason

It was really good, yeah, but it also cracked me up that the judge still ended up filing a bar complaint on the lawyer after going "oh yeah that's a really interesting and pertinent line of questioning"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Joementum posted:

the $3 i spent on downcast eight years ago was worth it

This but the 5+8 on pocketcast+webplayer sync. They got bought out and got big money or some poo poo and tried to cancel lifetime subs on the web syncing but backed down under heavy redditor firepower or sumthin

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It was really good, yeah, but it also cracked me up that the judge still ended up filing a bar complaint on the lawyer after going "oh yeah that's a really interesting and pertinent line of questioning"

Judges being colossal assholes to everyone is one of my favorite ongoing themes in ALAB.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The Felix and Matt podcast episode was pretty good. Also lol at this

it's like one slider lmao

i love felix, my perfect failson

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Russian troll farm posted:

I learned about Thomas Malthus in loving grade 9 social studies class. what the gently caress is wrong with goons

i went to public school

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

This but the 5+8 on pocketcast+webplayer sync. They got bought out and got big money or some poo poo and tried to cancel lifetime subs on the web syncing but backed down under heavy redditor firepower or sumthin

I’m not sure what 5+8 means but yeah I use pocket casts that I pay 99 cents a month for. it’s nice to transfer from pc to phone and visa versa and all the poo poo is synced, archived, and good WiFi preference for stuff. I used the pc web player but have recently been using the pc desktop app and it works a little better

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The web service was originally a flat fee of like 8 or 9 dollars to use (I remember being weirded out by the oddness of the number). Looking it up it was originally 3.99 for the app too. I guess they made the app free and with a pure subscription model or w/e

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Listening to an old radio war nerd, where they have David Forbes (who I've never heard off) to talk about reactionary sci fi.

Mark trying to drop in every 20 minutes to try and stop them from just nerding out is pretty funny.

Good episode.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the rear end-cast has arrived

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Homeless Friend posted:

The web service was originally a flat fee of like 8 or 9 dollars to use (I remember being weirded out by the oddness of the number). Looking it up it was originally 3.99 for the app too. I guess they made the app free and with a pure subscription model or w/e

Yeah it owned until NPR bought them. Like a week after the announcement they announced that they were going to move to a sub only service even for people who previously bought the app. Only to roll it back when they got so much pushback. Lmao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
:lmao:

https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1370153451305439237?s=20

THS
Sep 15, 2017

that was gone fast

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Matt and Felix' Deadwood episode is great.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Matt and Felix' Deadwood episode is great.

Is there a way to listen to it that doesn't involve using stitcher? Because I'm not going to do that but it's not on the black wolf feed

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

sleeptalker posted:

he's a lot more modern when it comes to removing headphone jacks from phones!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Is there a way to listen to it that doesn't involve using stitcher? Because I'm not going to do that but it's not on the black wolf feed

https://www.reddit.com/r/TimeForMyStories/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

crepeface posted:

he's a lot more modern when it comes to removing headphone jacks from phones!

Someone made a feed for it. If it's not showing up on your feed, you might want look at the rss feed and download the episodes manually.

https://shanny.tools/api/hosted/time_for_my_stories/time_for_my_stories.xml

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Someone made a feed for it. If it's not showing up on your feed, you might want look at the rss feed and download the episodes manually.

https://shanny.tools/api/hosted/time_for_my_stories/time_for_my_stories.xml

yeah unfortunately the redditor that hosts that have blocked podcast apps that can publically re-host content (like pocketcast, podcatcher/podcastaddict, etc) or some poo poo; so if you use any of those you'll have to manually download each ep. if you're using pocketcasts it lets you upload local files for use across any device. a little annoying but hey he's doing for it for free and means i dont have to gently caress with stitcher.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

yeah unfortunately the redditor that hosts that have blocked podcast apps that can publically re-host content (like pocketcast, podcatcher/podcastaddict, etc) or some poo poo; so if you use any of those you'll have to manually download each ep. if you're using pocketcasts it lets you upload local files for use across any device. a little annoying but hey he's doing for it for free and means i dont have to gently caress with stitcher.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks all

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
just use overcast nerds

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

a Loving Dog posted:

just use overcast nerds

smart speed <3

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Phone posted:

smart speed <3

does it learn which pods are best at 2.7x vs 2.2x or whatever that freak was doing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Trash Ops posted:

does it learn which pods are best at 2.7x vs 2.2x or whatever that freak was doing

all it does is shorten dead air so podcasts will run at like 1.07x speed

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trash Ops posted:

lol i forgot about that guy

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mankind is unloveable

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have to download pods onto an mp3 player since I work at a secure location so I cant use a podcast app. Does stitcher premium offer the ability to download mp3s? Because if it doesnt its a waste of money for me and I might as well take it from the reddit guy where I can do that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnEdgelord posted:

I have to download pods onto an mp3 player since I work at a secure location so I cant use a podcast app. Does stitcher premium offer the ability to download mp3s? Because if it doesnt its a waste of money for me and I might as well take it from the reddit guy where I can do that.

afaik no it's a pretty heavily locked down DRM subscription platform

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I download the podcasts onto a USB drive and then plug it into the USB port in my car

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Victory Position posted:

I download the podcasts onto a USB drive and then plug it into the USB port in my car
well la-de-da. look at this fancy privileged lad with an usb port in a car.

i have to use an ankler aux-input<->bluetooth adapter. which actually is fine and better than having a "smart car" with a touch screen and all that bullshit. i just hit the aux button next to the am/fm/ buttons and it works without fiddling through menus or what not.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
smart car nothing, for about 50 bux you can shove a basic mixed media station into the dash of any lovely vehicle

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

i have to use an ankler aux-input<->bluetooth adapter. which actually is fine and better than having a "smart car" with a touch screen and all that bullshit. i just hit the aux button next to the am/fm/ buttons and it works without fiddling through menus or what not.

i just have to pair my phone and it plays whatever I had playing last. it's pretty win op. then again my car doesn't have a 'real' smart infotainment system, it's just a regular stereo that happens to have a touch screen and double as the back up camera.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Xaris posted:

I used to do something like that but this car doesn't have a tape deck, which really sucks. the Bluetooth on my phone was disabled in order to get around a short it was having due to the power button, so that's out of the question too

having to menu through poo poo in a car is tedium given form, as the UI and usability of these things are basically none. at least it lets you look at directories and poo poo

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

just lol if you don't put your podcasts on cassette tapes.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Victory Position posted:

I used to do something like that but this car doesn't have a tape deck, which really sucks. the Bluetooth on my phone was disabled in order to get around a short it was having due to the power button, so that's out of the question too

having to menu through poo poo in a car is tedium given form, as the UI and usability of these things are basically none. at least it lets you look at directories and poo poo

Same, the first car I got to drive was this old minivan which required me to use a cassette to aux converter to play my own music.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Same, the first car I got to drive was this old minivan which required me to use a cassette to aux converter to play my own music.

my dad had one like that, it was some old Windstar that was used as a converted utility van by ComEd up in Detroit, he got it for like $500 and it had a utility cage in there and everything

had a lot of speed behind it too. very surprising, but I guess if you take all of the seats out, you're going to have more kick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

fatelvis posted:

Listening to an old radio war nerd, where they have David Forbes (who I've never heard off) to talk about reactionary sci fi.

Mark trying to drop in every 20 minutes to try and stop them from just nerding out is pretty funny.

Good episode.
One of their free episodes too: https://www.patreon.com/posts/rwn-ep-64-repost-12256665

I was thinking about that episode again because I recently read the excellent Parable of the Sower. Dolan and Forbes break down the apocalypse genre in general and Lucifer's Hammer in particular. Normally sci-fi nerds are all about getting the science right or at least plausible and that goes all out the window in these apocalypse novels that just are excuses to recreate the imagined authority of the 1950's white suburban patriarch. Niven's fans even have a saying, "Niven is right. When society breaks down feminism is always the first casualty."

Yet sociology or even just looking at recent societal breakdowns like Syria show the best ways to survive are to be in a city with competent locally controlled administration, a tight-knit minority group, or an organised church.

Parable of the Sower was written by Octavia Butler, a black women, and has a much more real societal collapse with gated communities unable to defend themselves from the masses, racial groups segregating themselves and police chiefs as petty warlords and cops as just another gang.