Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use Farm Bureau and have been happy with them. You have to pay some upfront member cost to join each year a lot like Costco, but they've been super easy to work with on the few times I've had to contact them. The price while not the absolute cheapest when I was shopping around was only like $2-3 more than the next cheapest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm moving into a house that does not have a mailbox... Uh, I have never had to deal with this as a problem? Any advice on the logistics of this, like what will happen to my mail, what's the easiest way to install a mailbox, etc.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

I'm moving into a house that does not have a mailbox... Uh, I have never had to deal with this as a problem? Any advice on the logistics of this, like what will happen to my mail, what's the easiest way to install a mailbox, etc.

Does you sub division have a community mailbox setup?

Something like this somewhere

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...b418045d8c27acf

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Well it's not really a subdivision. It's on a main road but it's one of those roads where all the mailboxes are supposed to be on one side of the road. The opposite side from my house, it seems. So I also have to install it into what I am assuming is not my property or owned by the town? (There's no other house or anything across the road.) Odd situation, maybe I should ask the local post office.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Well it's not really a subdivision. It's on a main road but it's one of those roads where all the mailboxes are supposed to be on one side of the road. The opposite side from my house, it seems. So I also have to install it into what I am assuming is not my property or owned by the town? (There's no other house or anything across the road.) Odd situation, maybe I should ask the local post office.

It's a right of way, owned by whoever owns the property on that side of the street but with an easement, just like your property, where half of the road goes as well as utilities/poles/mailboxes.

And yes, you need to ask the post office to be sure that's where they want it. They may be specific about location along the front of your property as well.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Motronic posted:

It's a right of way, owned by whoever owns the property on that side of the street but with an easement, just like your property, where half of the road goes as well as utilities/poles/mailboxes.

And yes, you need to ask the post office to be sure that's where they want it. They may be specific about location along the front of your property as well.

If you're in the USA, here is the USPS guide:
https://www.usps.com/manage/mailboxes.htm

Still, ask your local post office, as they may have some local preferences or tips. Like, if your road gets plowed by a wing plow you'll want to stay on the high side of 'standard' mounting height.

Most lumberyards stock pre-cut mailbox posts - not beautiful, but functional and fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, this general concept is apparently not too unusual. The place I'm buying is set up this way so the postal service can avoid coming down my street which is more of just a driveway for two houses.

I also get to install a new mailbox on someone else's land, but in this case it's because the seller of my house is taking their customized John Deere mailbox with them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Thanks, everyone. :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PageMaster posted:

Are you locked for a full year after you sign up for home insurance? We are starting to talk to independent brokers, but for the sake of keeping the lending process moving for our timeline sent in a quote from State farm (a lot of companies have pulled out of insuring CA). I'm assuming, but not sure that after we close, if a broker finds something that's better we can always switch?

Edit: I guess there might be a difference between 'agent' and' broker?'

You're not locked in to the best of my knowledge. Just like car insurance, you can cancel the policy and switch to another company, but the billing side of things could get a little messy. I've never switched homeowners in the middle of a policy before, and I also handle insurance through my escrow account. I did cancel my homeowners on my old house when we sold it a few years ago, took about a month to get the premium refund since it got routed to the escrow account, and then they cut me a check from that.

Agent and broker may be able to be used interchangeably... although when I think of agent, I think of someone representing a singular company, like a State Farm, Farmers, or Allstate insurance agent. A broker has access to dozens of insurers. Like my guy's business is called and his insurance agency, but he's really a broker I guess. I'm not sure.

Short answer, yes you can switch, but double check the policy fine print, CA might be different from TX where I'm at.

I could be wrong, and I think there's an insurance thread in A/T proper with some actual insurance agents in there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Spots in your condo floor that seem to flex beneath your feet way more than the areas around them: Abnormal, or dangerously abnormal? :haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

Spots in your condo floor that seem to flex beneath your feet way more than the areas around them: Abnormal, or dangerously abnormal? :haw:

Unfortunately common crappy construction.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Home Ownership Thread: I threw my fluke clamp meter on the bidet and dropped a dookie

New thread title?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Sundae posted:

Most floor structures are controlled by deflection rather than strength; you're probably okay but it's not like you should be happy with it.

Now, if this is a concrete floor, then....

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Fence progress update:

Taking the day off work to try to get most of the rest done. It's smooth sailing now that we don't have to dig concrete out of every hole.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Our house has a three-season back porch, the aluminum kind with jalousies. We were thinking of putting in some new flooring - it's just painted wood now - so we could start making more use of it. The enclosure itself is original aluminum, so it's got some pitting from over the years.

If we put in new floors this year (some kind of porcelain tile, most likely), and maybe next year or thereafter had the old aluminum porch removed and replaced with a more modern enclosure, would we have to re-do the flooring or could we keep the updated flooring in place? We'd keep the footprint and layout of the old enclosure, which looks like it's held in place by screws into the wood flooring of the patio.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I just defeated a bogus rezoning proposal with a neighbor :woop:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Zone to a different type of zone or upzoning?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Corner lot in a compact 1950s neighborhood changing from SFH residential to Unrestricted Commercial. It's a street over from being on the border of the residential/commercial break but it's not there, and the lot lines of it are literally 5 feet away from neighbors windows. Our argument was that it was unnecessary commercial encroachment and the board agreed.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Sundae posted:

How about mild but noticeable flexing in a number of spots in hardwood flooring? I feel like this is relatively normal for hardwood, right?

I would have never noticed it but my partner did. We’ve lived here 8 months. Either it’s new or she just noticed it and can’t un-notice it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The flexing depends on a lot, what kind of foundation, is it sloping towards a wall, or a chimney, or what used to be a chimney, how much flex etc

In one house we had pier and beam and it'd been 20 years since they leveled the foundation and there was some minor flex

In another house the foundation hadn't been adjusted in 70 years and was so bad if they tried to fix it the house would likely fall apart. There was a central chimney that the floors tied into it all sloped dangerously towards it on both floors

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 10, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Hadlock posted:

The flexing depends on a lot, what kind of foundation, is it sloping towards a wall, or a chimney, or what used to be a chimney, how much flex etc

In one house we had pier and beam and it'd been 20 years since they leveled the foundation and there was some minor flex

In another house the foundation hadn't been adjusted in 70 years and was so bad if they tried to fix it the house would likely fall apart. There was a central chimney that the floors tied into it all sloped dangerously towards it on both floors

It’s a bi-level with a concrete foundation. There is no chimney. Not really any sloping going on. I don’t know when I would have even noticed if my partner hadn’t said anything.

What types of foundations need to be adjusted? I didn’t even know that is a thing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

hobbez posted:

It’s a bi-level with a concrete foundation. There is no chimney. Not really any sloping going on. I don’t know when I would have even noticed if my partner hadn’t said anything.

What types of foundations need to be adjusted? I didn’t even know that is a thing.

In your case it could be the way floorboards tend to expand and contract; without sufficient gaps to float over the surface they can buckle upward slightly, creating gaps that when you step on them, the floor yields a bit.

Post and beam foundations are the most common to need "adjusting." Buildings with foundations and slabs are not really ones you can adjust (and repairs can get stupidly expensive).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

hobbez posted:

How about mild but noticeable flexing in a number of spots in hardwood flooring? I feel like this is relatively normal for hardwood, right?

I would have never noticed it but my partner did. We’ve lived here 8 months. Either it’s new or she just noticed it and can’t un-notice it.

Also - is it actual hardwood flooring, or is it click-lock? They can both flex, and the causes can be completely different. :v:

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Sundae posted:

Also - is it actual hardwood flooring, or is it click-lock? They can both flex, and the causes can be completely different. :v:

Are you asking if it’s some kind of laminate? pretty sure it’s real, no repeating grain, it feels like wood, and my dogs paws sure scratch the varnish up like wood...

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Not sure if anyone can answer this or not but I just bought my first house in late November of 2020. My first mortgage payment was in Jan 2021. I literally have 0 idea how anything financing wise tax wise etc... works with home ownership and it's a little overwhelming for me. I JUST learned how escrow works on a basic level hah so be gentle.

This will be the first year I've done taxes any other way than just the basic simple tax method. I'm curious how much buying a house in 2020 but not actually making a payment until 2021 will alter/mess with my taxes this year. Does anyone have a clue that a 5 year old could understand? It was a standard loan with a 3% down payment so there is mortgage insurance.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Tax-wise, depending on the size of the mortgage you will potentially have enough deductible interest in 2021 that when you combine it with your local tax bill it will make sense to itemize deductions rather than take the ~12k standard deduction. It likely won't change much for 2020. Your mortgage provider will send you a 1098 form outlining deductible interest if it's over $600, so then you just weigh itemized deductions vs. the standard to determine what's bigger.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Comfortador posted:

Not sure if anyone can answer this or not but I just bought my first house in late November of 2020. My first mortgage payment was in Jan 2021. I literally have 0 idea how anything financing wise tax wise etc... works with home ownership and it's a little overwhelming for me. I JUST learned how escrow works on a basic level hah so be gentle.

This will be the first year I've done taxes any other way than just the basic simple tax method. I'm curious how much buying a house in 2020 but not actually making a payment until 2021 will alter/mess with my taxes this year. Does anyone have a clue that a 5 year old could understand? It was a standard loan with a 3% down payment so there is mortgage insurance.

Just to elaborate a bit on the post above me:

In most situations your first mortgage payment would be in January because you pre-paid December when you closed in November (plus pro-rated payment for the remainder of November). So you would technically have just over one months worth of mortgage interest in 2020, which is generally what is deductible.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

KS posted:

Tax-wise, depending on the size of the mortgage you will potentially have enough deductible interest in 2021 that when you combine it with your local tax bill it will make sense to itemize deductions rather than take the ~12k standard deduction. It likely won't change much for 2020. Your mortgage provider will send you a 1098 form outlining deductible interest if it's over $600, so then you just weigh itemized deductions vs. the standard to determine what's bigger.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Just to elaborate a bit on the post above me:

In most situations your first mortgage payment would be in January because you pre-paid December when you closed in November (plus pro-rated payment for the remainder of November). So you would technically have just over one months worth of mortgage interest in 2020, which is generally what is deductible.

Yeah I got the form and I don't think it's that much I'll have to double check. Thanks guys, I can probably delay my anxiety until next year! :)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Comfortador posted:

Yeah I got the form and I don't think it's that much I'll have to double check. Thanks guys, I can probably delay my anxiety until next year! :)

Feel free to bug people in the US Income Tax thread if you have any questions :).

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, it's been >50F here for a week or two, and the mosquitos have already come out. I put out the trap last night and caught around 100 of them, I can't believe they're already out in such numbers :/

On the plus side I sent a picture of the catch results to my county, and they're sending someone out to collect them and figure out wtf they are. Hopefully that prompts some further investigation of the surrounding area.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

devicenull posted:

Ugh, it's been >50F here for a week or two, and the mosquitos have already come out. I put out the trap last night and caught around 100 of them, I can't believe they're already out in such numbers :/

On the plus side I sent a picture of the catch results to my county, and they're sending someone out to collect them and figure out wtf they are. Hopefully that prompts some further investigation of the surrounding area.

What kind of trap are you using? I had s small zapper for my balcony, but I'm not sure it works so well.

Someone in our social circle just died of dengue, so I've got mosquitos on the mind at the moment.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The house we're buying does not have a garage, and I'm trying to get a feel for the cost of buying a prefab and connecting it to the house by a breezeway/mud room. Having a hard time figuring out the right search terms for this, does anyone have experience?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

"Prefab garage" worked fine for me. Depending on what you want the garage for and what the weather there is like, you may want to look at carports too. They're significantly cheaper.

No idea about the mud room. Sounds like a job for a builder/contractor to me.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Inner Light posted:

Alright, had the 2/2 condo inspection today. Most stuff is fine! Some light switches are hosed so I will get those replaced, I guess.

The biggest issue is there is an area of significant cosmetic damage to the engineered hardwood floor. The damage was conveniently covered up by an area rug and not disclosed prior to my inspector finding it. Unfortunately, the damage is easily noticeable from all angles and is right in a main area. Unless it's covered up of course.

I've never owned a home before. Apparently per my agent and inspector, this type of condo would cost around $3K to have the floors refinished.

Any opinions? Would you live with it and cover with a rug, or cough up to have the entire condo refinished?

Photos:

If I had to guess it was some dog pee that sat on a rug. In my market, my agent said we can ask for $1,500 credit to cover half but the seller will likely deny.

For context in case it makes any difference, this building was built in 2004 and we doubted the floors have been refinished.

x-post from the house buying thread. Is there a renovation/design thread that I'm remembering somewhere?

Anyone think it's worth it to spend ~$4K to refinish these floors before I move my stuff in after I close? It's frustrating since it's all in pretty good condition except that one weird ugly shiny square. I don't really want to have to put a rug down.

'Buffing and coating' apparently might be an option at $1.5K but I am not sure if it would remove the damage, and it would suck to spend that for nothing.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

if it were me, I'd explore my rug options, or pieces of furniture for that area (on top of or in front of it). If it really bothers you and you have plenty of money, then the only thing that matters is how you feel about the trade-off. Consider that down the road you may end up with other floor scratches, etc, and you could take care of everything at the same time.

I personally refinished my whole house's hardwood floors when I got my place. I would definitely pay someone next time, as it was arduous, high stress, and of course didn't come out as well as it should (although I think only i notice). I come to the same conclusion about a lot of stuff I did DIY, forgetting that I did it DIY because I had a lot less money at the time.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thesaurus posted:

What kind of trap are you using? I had s small zapper for my balcony, but I'm not sure it works so well.

Someone in our social circle just died of dengue, so I've got mosquitos on the mind at the moment.

This one - note it's designed to catch tiger mosquitos, and would need the CO2 adapter to catch other kinds. It's also crazy expensive for what it is (12v fan in a plastic case), but it's crazy effective (assuming what it catches here are all mosquitos, which I'll find out soon!). The same company makes a bunch of researcher grade traps, so they know their stuff!

It does use a lure (lasts 8 weeks, you get 3/$50) - note that smells pretty bad, and you probably don't want to use it on a small balcony (since you'll end up attracting mosquitos to where you are).

This is two days worth of mosquitos:

It's also not even spring here, so I'm amazed there's this many.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Two things we want to do when we move in in May:

a) run ethernet to the bedrooms/living room (it's a two-floor townhouse plus basement, so very few rooms have LoS to each other)
b) install security cameras, probably an Abode system

First house, I've never done either of these before. Will a low voltage tech do both, and will it break the bank if we hire one?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I don't know of any residential "low voltage techs" - that's not really a thing around here. Regardless, what it's going to cost depends on your market and the construction of your home. It's nearly impossible to predict a cost without specific knowledge of just how hard it's going to be to pull cable, how much drywall may need to be cut to do it, etc.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't understand why line of sight is important. I mean I'd like ethernet in every room for convenience but not because wifi won't work without line of sight. I live in a two story split level, my wireless router is in the highest room and my Roku is in the lowest room, and it works without much issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

I don't understand why line of sight is important. I mean I'd like ethernet in every room for convenience but not because wifi won't work without line of sight. I live in a two story split level, my wireless router is in the highest room and my Roku is in the lowest room, and it works without much issue.

Yeah, that too. I have a Ubiquiti AC access point on the first floor that covers from the basement to the second floor just fine.