Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

toanoradian posted:

6 months of saving 1800 is 10K, he got 100K from his family, how did he get the remaining ~600K? Do you need less than the actual amount to 'own' a building?

Trust fund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Azhais posted:

Trust fund

the 100k down payment came from his dad who's a hedge fund manager and who also maneuvered some contacts into giving his kid a "loan" for some insider tips.

e,c:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Mar 11, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sorry guys but you're out of touch

https://twitter.com/OutOfTouchThurs/status/1370004079871598599?s=19

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Quarterroys posted:

To cover the difference between the cost of the property and your down payment, you take out a loan and pay mortgage payments each month

Adding to this, they usually want 20% down, then you're off to the races. Assuming the guys credit isn't horrible- and he obviously makes above national average if he can afford $1800 in rent alone, he can get a loan he's only sort of likely to get hosed by. Even with bad credit, less than 20% and a poo poo job there's a whole ocean of loan officers out there all too happy to get him signed up with a loan that will beat his future mercilessly and leave it bleeding in the alley behind his condo, which is now owned by a bank.

SOURCE: Worked for loan company at one point and am now beginning the process to see the feasibility of getting a house which has led to us being hounded to the ends of the earth by every single LO who has caught wind of it.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So many misguided years in my youth hating Hall and Oates when all they did was write absolute bangers...

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

zoux posted:

So many misguided years in my youth hating Hall and Oates when all they did was write absolute bangers...

I didn't realize until well into my adulthood that I loving love H&O

but I can't find any memes about that

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXr7JKn1omo

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Now try watching a hall and oates music video. that particular song has fun practical effects sure to delight, unlike dancing anime children in mini skirts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Now try watching a hall and oates music video. that particular song has fun practical effects sure to delight, unlike dancing anime children in mini skirts.

the "She's Gone" video is loving amazing:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vZZngTkp54I

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Quarterroys posted:

To cover the difference between the cost of the property and your down payment, you take out a loan and pay mortgage payments each month

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

toanoradian posted:

6 months of saving 1800 is 10K, he got 100K from his family, how did he get the remaining ~600K? Do you need less than the actual amount to 'own' a building?

Most people do not buy houses with saved up cash. They save a fraction of the cost of the house as a down payment then get a mortgage (loan to be repaid in installments, in this case usually over decades) for the rest.

This guy appears to have gotten his parents to cover the $100,000 down payment and rolled his rent over into a mortgage. The fact that he lived at home for a while is mostly meaningless.

What would really put the cherry on top is if he then started renting out the condo, using the rent to cover its own mortgage, while continuing to live at home. That's real upper-tier failson shitbaggery.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As someone who is about to buy a house: real estate is some scummy poo poo. In most cases, you have a gigantic amount of value in the property, which you can only spend by either selling your home (lol no) or taking out loans. And even you're buying, you're either trading in your existing property and/or getting a huge gently caress off loan. Which the banks then liver of off. The real fun of when older people have paid off their loans and begin buying properties to rent out, either to their kids or strangers, at a net profit. It's a hosed up system.

But in 30 years, I'll be the one on top!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Same vibe as the vilerat forwarded emails thread.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

I wish I liked this meme less.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BonHair posted:

As someone who is about to buy a house: real estate is some scummy poo poo. In most cases, you have a gigantic amount of value in the property, which you can only spend by either selling your home (lol no) or taking out loans. And even you're buying, you're either trading in your existing property and/or getting a huge gently caress off loan. Which the banks then liver of off. The real fun of when older people have paid off their loans and begin buying properties to rent out, either to their kids or strangers, at a net profit. It's a hosed up system.

But in 30 years, I'll be the one on top!

Just :lol: if you aren't immediately taking a massive HELOC and jamming it into the stock market

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

PittTheElder posted:

Just :lol: if you aren't immediately taking a massive HELOC and jamming it into the stock market
is this something i would have to consult cumshitter to know about

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

ILL Machina posted:

I wish I liked this meme less.

:gary:. :gary::j:

:gary::yarg:. :gary::knope:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Prepare to be ASSimilated.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVavqLl3Hqg

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

toanoradian posted:

When you buy a house you take out a mortgage, most banks tend to want 5-20% of the property value as a deposit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

McSpergin posted:

When you buy a house you take out a mortgage, most banks tend to want 5-20% of the property value as a deposit

It’s not a deposit. There are deposits on homes sales usually but they are not 5-20% and go to the seller not the bank . They are like 500-2000$

Usually the largest mortgage you can get is 80% of the houses value. Banks don’t go higher than 80% so they don’t lose money if they have to immediately foreclose

If you have to get a 90% mortgage you have to get something called mortgage insurance to cover the banks exposure

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

It’s not a deposit. There are deposits on homes sales usually but they are not 5-20% and go to the seller not the bank . They are like 500-2000$

Usually the largest mortgage you can get is 80% of the houses value. Banks don’t go higher than 80% so they don’t lose money if they have to immediately foreclose

If you have to get a 90% mortgage you have to get something called mortgage insurance to cover the banks exposure

You can get an 80/20 loan though and a lot of people do that.

Or just use your VA benefit and they can gently caress off with that 20% and PMI.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The 20 in the 80/20 is a high interest personal loan tho right

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

euphronius posted:

I know lol. We just bought a house a few months back. It's referred to as a deposit in Australia at least, that 10-20% that the bank doesn't cover. At least in Australia, any deposit over 5% iirc is viable, but you have to pay LMI at a pro rata amount (lenders mortgage insurance)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

euphronius posted:

The 20 in the 80/20 is a high interest personal loan tho right

From the people I’ve seen do it it’s not super high but it’s also a shorter term (like 10 years). It’s definitely above the 30 year loan though.

Edit: mortgage insurance is like one of the biggest scams they ever invented.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in the US, until you hit 22% equity, the bank is required to carry private mortgage insurance on your mortgage.

I'll just let you guess who pays for said insurance that is for the bank.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Empty Sandwich posted:

in the US, until you hit 22% equity, the bank is required to carry private mortgage insurance on your mortgage.

I'll just let you guess who pays for said insurance that is for the bank.

"We don't think you'll be able to pay it back, so just in case, we're going to make you pay more." Yeah, PMI is a really dumb concept. Thanks housing bubble!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Maybe shut up about loving mortgages or whatever the gently caress you dorks are on about?

Here, you can argue about this fella:

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
That hurts my brain

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Maybe shut up about loving mortgages or whatever the gently caress you dorks are on about?

I mean it was funny in the sense that not a single post about mortgages avoided being incorrect in some way, but that is a very boring kind of funny.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I feel bad for all the kids who won’t be able to make a flap out of the little butter box that you can lift and see the boobs you made out of her knees

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No matter how long you talk about them, I will not understand mortgages or houses

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Ah, the lament configuration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

I think the other irony with this is that the woman was actually drawn by a Native American artist. Might be apocryphal but I remember reading it