Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Lol apparently the new thing at my work is to just not read emails.

Sent out a nice write up and literally highlighted in yellow something to the effect of "IMPORTANT, RELEVANT INFORMATION HERE" and the immediate response was "Looks good. What about [important relevant information]?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Reply by passive aggressively attaching the email you sent again, with no actual text in the body of your reply.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Gin_Rummy posted:

Sent out a nice write up and literally highlighted in yellow something to the effect of "IMPORTANT, RELEVANT INFORMATION HERE" and the immediate response was "Looks good. What about [important relevant information]?"

look, you got the subject line to catch my interest and if that doesn't happen, who's really to blame here?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

look, you got the subject line to catch my interest and if that doesn't happen, who's really to blame here?

"Look, I'm a busy man. I'm knee deep in more fuckups for you to fix later."

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

There's definitely certain people at my work who I can only ask 1 question at a time through email because that's all they'll ever see and answer. Pretty much everyone else can type in their own answers beneath each one no problem.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Steakandchips posted:

Reply by passive aggressively attaching the email you sent again, with no actual text in the body of your reply.

Print screen, MS paint circles and arrows pointing to the relevant text, then run it through a glitter gif maker, if you want a less subtle approach.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

gently caress SNEEP posted:

There's definitely certain people at my work who I can only ask 1 question at a time through email because that's all they'll ever see and answer. Pretty much everyone else can type in their own answers beneath each one no problem.

Oh, how I HATED this. I'd even go to the effort of breaking it down to the small words like this:

"Per the information above, I have three requests:
1). Request 1
2). Request 2
3). Request 3

Can you please respond back at your earliest convenience? Thanks!"

and I'd get a one line answer for Request 1 and nothing else.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Solkanar512 posted:

I work with data where we do this with vehicles on site and you absolutely see all sorts of weird stuff.

One of our clients on a remotish greenfield project had tracking data on all their 4wd trucks, with strict 'no speeding, no acceleration, no donuts etc etc. They stopped busting people for poo poo after it turns out the site mangers were the worst offenders.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Zarin posted:

Oh, how I HATED this. I'd even go to the effort of breaking it down to the small words like this:

"Per the information above, I have three requests:
1). Request 1
2). Request 2
3). Request 3

Can you please respond back at your earliest convenience? Thanks!"

and I'd get a one line answer for Request 1 and nothing else.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that these people are of a certain generation... that's definitely the case at my work.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Gin_Rummy posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that these people are of a certain generation... that's definitely the case at my work.

The leaded gasoline generation?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
My boss legit doesn't understand that most digital forms of communication are cataloged for if not forever, at least a fairly long time so he will repeatedly ask you for things you sent him the other day, and he knows you sent them the other day. There was a job where we had to call ahead to a radiation safety officer whenever we were going to show up on site and he would ask me for the guy's phone number each time via text, and it's not like we text each other a whole lot so even if he absolutely refused to save the number in his phone he'd just have to scroll up 5 messages to see it.

Same with email stuff, send him a report with a really cohesive searchable title, like "date client project name testing performed" and 2 days later he'd ask if you could send that report again because he can't find it. Our office is all of 5 people so he is not getting such a deluge of emails that searching by client/project wouldn't immediately pop up exactly what he was looking for.

Occasionally he'll ask me about something fairly old while standing over my shoulder so I could vaguely understand if it was harder to find and he'll see me search either my own archive of reports if I personally did the thing or my email if I'm tangentially involved and when I find it in a few seconds he thinks I'm a wizard.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Sounds like something a wizard would do.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gin_Rummy posted:

We had a contractor who was proud he didn't read emails. He would tell our coworkers in meetings that he only checked his inbox once in the morning and once before he left and if you needed him to do something you had to call him. Problem is that, as a buyer (and my only backup), all our quotes were communicated through email and our company policy is to keep a paper trail. It took almost six months to clean up his mess when he was laid off due to COVID staff reductions.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

We had a contractor who was proud he didn't read emails. He would tell our coworkers in meetings that he only checked his inbox once in the morning and once before he left and if you needed him to do something you had to call him. Problem is that, as a buyer (and my only backup), all our quotes were communicated through email and our company policy is to keep a paper trail. It took almost six months to clean up his mess when he was laid off due to COVID staff reductions.

Oh poo poo was he my buyer?

I'm glad if so. Cancelled an order on a part without asking if that was cool.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Oh poo poo was he my buyer?

I'm glad if so. Cancelled an order on a part without asking if that was cool.

If you couldn't identify me from that story you don't work with me.

For the record, he would be the kind of guy to cancel orders without telling anyone, and also without lining up replacements. Part of what made my life hell for the opening weeks of work from home was going line by line through a giant (300 plus) line bill of material and figuring out which parts he did and didn't order because he would use one order number to claim credit for dozens of lines he planned to order soon in our demand management system. It was probably more work to maintain the illusion he was doing something than to actually do something.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gin_Rummy posted:

"Per my last email Karen"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If they're that dumb give them directions on how to find the information. 'see email dated February 2nd 2021'. They're being lazy so make them work.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Don't even get me started on bad buyers...

Had one guy just up and ghost our entire department for ~6 months. No responses to emails, phone calls, etc despite being online all day. Pleas to his managers went unresolved... how do these people keep jobs?

EDIT: I shouldn't judge... this guy was honestly living the dream. Maybe we should all just stop working and still collect checks.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 12, 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gin_Rummy posted:

Had one guy just up and ghost our entire department for ~6 months. No responses to emails, phone calls, etc despite being online all day. Pleas to his managers went unresolved... how do these people keep jobs?

We live in a society.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I'm convinced that HR just drives real slow down Frat Row and anyone still awake with the keg on the front lawn at 6am on Saturday morning gets an invitation to interview for a buyer role.

I asked my buddy if that was true once (he was a buyer at the time) and he said it wouldn't surprise him lol

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Gin_Rummy posted:

EDIT: I shouldn't judge... this guy was honestly living the dream. Maybe we should all just stop working and still collect checks.

I got to do this once, I was on Quality Assurance at a call center and the call recording system went down. It was down for 4 months, this place didn't have anyone to administrate that stuff except IT and IT kept saying it wasn't a priority to fix. So for 4 months the whole team got paid to sit at home and watch netflix or play videogames or whatever as long as we were clocked in + our computer was turned on

I found it excruciating and impossible to enjoy past the first couple weeks. It was like chillin' with my neck on a chopping block not knowing when the axe would drop, but at least they put a tablet playing youtube vids on the ground beneath me. I quit after 4 months and they nixed the whole team a month later lol

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gin_Rummy posted:

Want a fun kicker to all my other stories?

Management pulls from our buyers when they choose replacements for managers that leave. Knowledge of what the department does not required.
help

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Wow, you really pissed someone off in a previous life

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

timeline of my company's sick policy:

2016-2020: You are an investment, take as much time as you need, we will never hold being sick against you, we just want you to get better

First week of February 2020:
HR: We are placing some limits on sick time. Everyone will be given a state-mandated allotment of 10 days per calendar year, starting today. Doctors notes are now required. Multiple consecutive days cannot be grouped into a single occurrence and each day needs its own doctors' note.
Me: What if something catastrophic happens and we need to miss more than 10 straight days or we are too sick to get to a doctor?
HR: If you need to miss more than 10 consecutive days or you are so sick that you cannot get to a doctor, it sounds like you have more pressing concerns than keeping your job.

March 11, 2020:

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
More dumb poo poo the place I work at does: having an utterly stupid system which basically means this place is doomed to eventually go bankrupt.

Basically every facility is it's own franchise, sorta like how McDonalds and such do it. The big problem is that unlike a fast-food restaurant the facilities basically still require each other for operation, one place produces and one is in charge of selling and shipping. Of course for whatever godforsaken reason the franchise in charge of selling only pays for the material costs of what the production facility sends them. Basically, one franchise is forced to sell to the other at the lowest price they can and as you can imagine this means that the production facility has been slowly bled dry of any money they have to pay for stuff. How or why this arrangement has been allowed to keep going like that no one knows, maybe the boss of the production one is into findom :v:

Anyway, we are now at a point where they literally cannot pay for anything anymore. My boss mentioned being owed a bunch of money by them, the cleaning personnel are in the same boat, news are spreading that next week the company that is hired for the canteen will not show up as they have not been paid in months, there is constant shortage of materials, supplies not being purchased or repaired, the fricking company cellphone plans have expired and are not being renewed and now there are rumors that the actual workers here might not get paid for this month.

So yeah, dumb poo poo my work does is having an arrangement going that basically got rid of any liquid funds they had until they literally cannot pay anything anymore. If they actually cannot pay wages this month I cannot wait to see what will happen, chances are that I might show up that morning to the building not even standing anymore

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gin_Rummy posted:

Wow, you really pissed someone off in a previous life

Yeah, probably. Gotten a weird mix of "fine, even good circumstances" and "how many puppies did past-incarnation me kick for this to happen to me" throughout life.
Ah well. Still paying a living wage for me to be a human import script.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

72nd bday virgin posted:

timeline of my company's sick policy:

2016-2020: You are an investment, take as much time as you need, we will never hold being sick against you, we just want you to get better

First week of February 2020:
HR: We are placing some limits on sick time. Everyone will be given a state-mandated allotment of 10 days per calendar year, starting today. Doctors notes are now required. Multiple consecutive days cannot be grouped into a single occurrence and each day needs its own doctors' note.
Me: What if something catastrophic happens and we need to miss more than 10 straight days or we are too sick to get to a doctor?
HR: If you need to miss more than 10 consecutive days or you are so sick that you cannot get to a doctor, it sounds like you have more pressing concerns than keeping your job.

March 11, 2020:

Yeah, gently caress HR. Mine decided to switch prescription medication suppliers without telling anyone for a company of around 150,000. We all found out halfway through January, after tons of folks stopped receiving medications or had paperwork rejected.

They also decided to completely change our review system a month before review time and refused to explain to management why this was done.

gently caress all of you.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Greader posted:

More dumb poo poo the place I work at does: having an utterly stupid system which basically means this place is doomed to eventually go bankrupt.

Basically every facility is it's own franchise, sorta like how McDonalds and such do it. The big problem is that unlike a fast-food restaurant the facilities basically still require each other for operation, one place produces and one is in charge of selling and shipping. Of course for whatever godforsaken reason the franchise in charge of selling only pays for the material costs of what the production facility sends them. Basically, one franchise is forced to sell to the other at the lowest price they can and as you can imagine this means that the production facility has been slowly bled dry of any money they have to pay for stuff. How or why this arrangement has been allowed to keep going like that no one knows, maybe the boss of the production one is into findom :v:

Anyway, we are now at a point where they literally cannot pay for anything anymore. My boss mentioned being owed a bunch of money by them, the cleaning personnel are in the same boat, news are spreading that next week the company that is hired for the canteen will not show up as they have not been paid in months, there is constant shortage of materials, supplies not being purchased or repaired, the fricking company cellphone plans have expired and are not being renewed and now there are rumors that the actual workers here might not get paid for this month.

So yeah, dumb poo poo my work does is having an arrangement going that basically got rid of any liquid funds they had until they literally cannot pay anything anymore. If they actually cannot pay wages this month I cannot wait to see what will happen, chances are that I might show up that morning to the building not even standing anymore

Isn't this like what sears did?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Greader posted:

This is how Domino's works internally, by the way. The commissary is a separate company that has to make a profit off of the franchises and corporate stores providing food to a vague standard but has to pay license fees to corporate and are obligated to pay for tech support etc. It's insane that the whole company hasn't collapsed. If you ask me it's basically on a razor's edge. Corporate makes their money off of literally stealing the profit of people below them in the chain, but since they're all seperate entities, if corporate takes too much the entire chain will collapse and sink the entire brand. They've kept it working since Bain Capital bought them out, but, well, Bain Capital bought them.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, gently caress HR. Mine decided to switch prescription medication suppliers without telling anyone for a company of around 150,000. We all found out halfway through January, after tons of folks stopped receiving medications or had paperwork rejected.

They also decided to completely change our review system a month before review time and refused to explain to management why this was done.

gently caress all of you.

I bet they get the company annual awards

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Meme Poker Party posted:

We live in a society.

not for long :twisted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Greader posted:

Time go come to work and help yourself to something not bolted to the floor.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zarin posted:

I'm convinced that HR just drives real slow down Frat Row and anyone still awake with the keg on the front lawn at 6am on Saturday morning gets an invitation to interview for a buyer role.

I asked my buddy if that was true once (he was a buyer at the time) and he said it wouldn't surprise him lol

It depends on where you land sometimes. I had someone explain to me what their job as a Buyer in mainline supply chain was once: all the suppliers and prices are determined for you, the schedule you submit orders is known and other people take care of tracking the order once it's submitted. All you have to do is create the purchase order along with the company required paperwork. Then they offered me a job doing that if I ever got bored of being the buyer for my group.

In my group I am responsible for getting quotes, determining the vendor, actually ordering parts and tracking delivery. Plus managing vendors, getting agreements and contracts in place and reviewing engineering drawings for manufacturability. The company actually tracks me as an Engineer rather than a Buyer because of all that. I would go crazy if all I did was issue orders all day.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Lazyfire posted:

It depends on where you land sometimes. I had someone explain to me what their job as a Buyer in mainline supply chain was once: all the suppliers and prices are determined for you, the schedule you submit orders is known and other people take care of tracking the order once it's submitted. All you have to do is create the purchase order along with the company required paperwork. Then they offered me a job doing that if I ever got bored of being the buyer for my group.

In my group I am responsible for getting quotes, determining the vendor, actually ordering parts and tracking delivery. Plus managing vendors, getting agreements and contracts in place and reviewing engineering drawings for manufacturability. The company actually tracks me as an Engineer rather than a Buyer because of all that. I would go crazy if all I did was issue orders all day.

Lmao, same. In the production environment the MBA dropouts just fingerfuck PO text all day.

In my team, I'm responsible for everything including quality for development orders.

They make way more than me.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Today I've had a purchasing person from another continent receipt in some equipment that seemingly hasn't arrived yet. There is such a thing as being too efficient!!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Boiled Water posted:

Time go come to work and help yourself to something not bolted to the floor.

What, and miss out on some free bolts?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Whoa Target is closing their main HQ and shifting to smaller offices and more permanent WFH. Hope this gets taken up by more companies.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa Target is closing their main HQ and shifting to smaller offices and more permanent WFH. Hope this gets taken up by more companies.

Dumb poo poo my work does:

*In a very Ben Stein voice* "We believe in working from work and discourage working from home unless absolutely necessary."

We've been WFH since March of last year and projects have been consistently delivered on time while employee morale has been through the roof, so of course they've slated an end to WFH come July. An old manager of mine is hopeful that they might offer permanent WFH, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it happens.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Batterypowered7 posted:

Dumb poo poo my work does:

*In a very Ben Stein voice* "We believe in working from work and discourage working from home unless absolutely necessary."

We've been WFH since March of last year and projects have been consistently delivered on time while employee morale has been through the roof, so of course they've slated an end to WFH come July. An old manager of mine is hopeful that they might offer permanent WFH, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it happens.

Yeah I don't understand anyone wanting to be back if they don't have to. I haven't set foot in my office in more than a year, zero issues. I understand some roles really do need to be there but when I see articles "won't someone think of the commercial real estate tycoons?!" I do acknowledge it's a bummer for other businesses that support MegaCorp offices like neighboring restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah I don't understand anyone wanting to be back if they don't have to. I haven't set foot in my office in more than a year, zero issues. I understand some roles really do need to be there but when I see articles "won't someone think of the commercial real estate tycoons?!" I do acknowledge it's a bummer for other businesses that support MegaCorp offices like neighboring restaurants.

I think some people are broken and think of coworkers as friends rather than just people who are paid to tolerate each other for 40 hours a week

I guess there's also the people who just have a really lovely setup for WFH due to having kids around and whatnot. Those I can at least understand, just wish they weren't so insistent about dragging the rest of us back with them.