Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've tried and failed to get into Titan Quest several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wish there was another Sacred. I liked it. Running around Sacred 2 as a techno-feline was pretty rad.
Also, Schniepel.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I love Titan Quest, though it does benefit from using a trainer to boost the drops you get because normally it's pretty dire. The new classes that got added in the more recent expansions can be pretty OP though, I'm finding myself wrecking through the content without any cheats using the Dream class.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

I wish there was another Sacred. I liked it. Running around Sacred 2 as a techno-feline was pretty rad.
Also, Schniepel.

I bought Sacred when it first came out and it was super janky but I thought it was pretty goddamn incredible. Never really played the sequel though. The different intros and side quests for each character class was great and not something you saw a lot of in games back then.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Papercut posted:

TL2 might have the most boring itemization, active skills, and skill tree of any ARPG I've ever played, and I've played a fair number of them.

I was actually playing Torchlight 2 recently, trying to remember why I quit the first time, and while I didn't find it that bad, there certainly was some boring stuff like you say, though it might more that I realized it wasn't the type of game I was in the mood for anymore.

As a continuation to that: this might be a bit of a weird question, but I was curious if there was a Diablo-like, but instead of relying on gear and potions to tank unavoidable damage, it relied more on using interesting abilities to dodge/avoid telegraphed attacks? Basically I generally like a game to factor in skill more than gear, but with most Diablo-like combat being reduced to face-tanking either melee blows or fast/tracking projectiles to the face, it'd be nice to see some different implementations. I've had some minor luck with games like Grim Dawn and Path of Exile: sometimes you can find skills that teleport you or dash about in a token attempt to help avoid damage, but it's never the primary focus. I know the easy answer is to instead play something like Dark Souls and all the various soulslikes that cater to that style of combat, but I was curious if there was one that did it from that iconic top-down perspective with all of the other trappings?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 11, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FutureCop posted:

I was actually playing Torchlight 2 recently, trying to remember why I quit the first time, and while I didn't find it that bad, there certainly was some boring stuff like you say and I did realize that it wasn't the type of game I was looking for anymore.

As a continuation to that: this might be a bit of a weird question, but I was curious if there was a Diablo-like, but instead of relying on gear and potions to tank unavoidable damage, it relied more on using interesting abilities to dodge/avoid telegraphed attacks? Basically I generally like a game to factor in skill more than gear, but with most Diablo-like melee combat being reduced to face-tanking, it'd be nice to see some different implementations. I've had some minor luck with games like Grim Dawn and Path of Exile: sometimes you can find skills that teleport you or dash about in a token attempt to help avoid damage, but it's never the primary focus. I know the easy answer is probably something like Dark Souls and all the various soulslikes, but I was curious if there was one that did it from that iconic top-down perspective?

Console D3 added a roll on the right stick you can use for that but blizzard is stupid and didn’t port it to the PC version.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

FutureCop posted:

I was actually playing Torchlight 2 recently, trying to remember why I quit the first time, and while I didn't find it that bad, there certainly was some boring stuff like you say and I did realize that it wasn't the type of game I was looking for anymore.

As a continuation to that: this might be a bit of a weird question, but I was curious if there was a Diablo-like, but instead of relying on gear and potions to tank unavoidable damage, it relied more on using interesting abilities to dodge/avoid telegraphed attacks? Basically I generally like a game to factor in skill more than gear, but with most Diablo-like melee combat being reduced to face-tanking, it'd be nice to see some different implementations. I've had some minor luck with games like Grim Dawn and Path of Exile: sometimes you can find skills that teleport you or dash about in a token attempt to help avoid damage, but it's never the primary focus. I know the easy answer is probably something like Dark Souls and all the various soulslikes, but I was curious if there was one that did it from that iconic top-down perspective?

end game path of exile bosses are exactly that these days - you can possibly build to tank but its far more efficient to build for damage and dodge.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If you're going to play Torchlight 2, play as the Engineer. The skills flow really well and it almost makes it a pure action game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FutureCop posted:

I was actually playing Torchlight 2 recently, trying to remember why I quit the first time, and while I didn't find it that bad, there certainly was some boring stuff like you say, though it might more that I realized it wasn't the type of game I was in the mood for anymore.

As a continuation to that: this might be a bit of a weird question, but I was curious if there was a Diablo-like, but instead of relying on gear and potions to tank unavoidable damage, it relied more on using interesting abilities to dodge/avoid telegraphed attacks? Basically I generally like a game to factor in skill more than gear, but with most Diablo-like combat being reduced to face-tanking either melee blows or fast/tracking projectiles to the face, it'd be nice to see some different implementations. I've had some minor luck with games like Grim Dawn and Path of Exile: sometimes you can find skills that teleport you or dash about in a token attempt to help avoid damage, but it's never the primary focus. I know the easy answer is to instead play something like Dark Souls and all the various soulslikes that cater to that style of combat, but I was curious if there was one that did it from that iconic top-down perspective with all of the other trappings?
Victor Vran has dodge and jump gameplay.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

FutureCop posted:

A lot of those games require more dodging and kiting if you play on higher difficulty settings. Even Diablo 3, with most builds, when you get into the higher levels of torment.

If you want something that combines Diablo-style mechanics with more action-y gameplay, I feel like I have to suggest Nioh 2. It's like a souls game, but with tons of skill trees and fiddly little item bonuses to play around with. There's even a whole system for displaying fancy tea sets in your personal hut!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I think Torchlight came out at a time when people were pretty starved for more of that sort of game and that's the only reason anyone gave it the time of day.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Kind of like Stardew Valley :smug:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Det_no posted:

I think Torchlight came out at a time when people were pretty starved for more of that sort of game and that's the only reason anyone gave it the time of day.

It was exactly that. Especially after the failure of Hellcats London.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

It was exactly that. Especially after the failure of Hellcats London.

Weird, I thought torchlight predated hellgate for some reason but nope, 2009. I know there’s a game I’m actually thinking of in terms of release date but I can’t remember the name of it and it’s gonna drive me insane.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Begemot posted:

A lot of those games require more dodging and kiting if you play on higher difficulty settings. Even Diablo 3, with most builds, when you get into the higher levels of torment.

If you want something that combines Diablo-style mechanics with more action-y gameplay, I feel like I have to suggest Nioh 2. It's like a souls game, but with tons of skill trees and fiddly little item bonuses to play around with. There's even a whole system for displaying fancy tea sets in your personal hut!

Would we miss out on anything if we don't play Nioh 1? I'd prefer to just play the stronger game mechanically and not both, but I've heard people mention that it just drops you in with a ton of mechanics you're probably expected to know already from the first game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

I thought it was much less boring than Titan Quest, which was the most recent "major" ARPG I was aware of at the time.

It came out like 4 months after Diablo 3, which had all of its own issues of course but was imo just better in every way than TL2. TL1 is the one that really benefited by coming out when nothing else was around.

e: I sort of agree on Titan Quest though; I enjoyed it more than TL2 but overall found it pretty boring as well

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

FutureCop posted:

You're looking for Victor Vran.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You don't lose anything not playing Nioh before Nioh 2, like a couple fun references maybe

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought Sacred when it first came out and it was super janky but I thought it was pretty goddamn incredible. Never really played the sequel though. The different intros and side quests for each character class was great and not something you saw a lot of in games back then.

you need to at least see the intro movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjT4OztNjEU

and the in-game metal concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkLXtTJXves

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Papercut posted:

It came out like 4 months after Diablo 3, which had all of its own issues of course but was imo just better in every way than TL2. TL1 is the one that really benefited by coming out when nothing else was around.
Huh, you're right. I've so far refused to play Diablo 3 because its pointless always-online requirement annoys me as a matter of principle, so I guess I just forgot all about that.

Sailor Dave posted:

Would we miss out on anything if we don't play Nioh 1? I'd prefer to just play the stronger game mechanically and not both, but I've heard people mention that it just drops you in with a ton of mechanics you're probably expected to know already from the first game.
No, not really. The first game drops those mechanics on you in exactly the same way. Nioh is just not big into tutorializing.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I think Loop Hero has pretty soundly defeated me. I somehow managed to strategize just well enough to beat the Lich that one time, but I haven't had a single "good" run since then in Chapter 1 or 2, my equipment drops have been utter poo poo and often ~3 levels below the loop I'm on despite overlapping battlefields for treasure chests and blood clots, making and clearing the devastated villages for better quests, etc. I unlocked the rogue but he's such a fragile glass cannon and so terrifyingly reliant on cooperative equipment drops that I can't see how to keep him alive for more than a few loops even on Chapter 1. Now I'm at the point where I figure I need to grind out a few more buildings/upgrades to stand a chance, but just about everything now needs these goddamned Orbs of Expansion which I already spent my only one of, have no idea how I got it, and multiple guides claim are dropped exclusively from battles with 5+ units which after 8+ runs of failing to get any by doing exactly that, I don't think can possibly be correct.

I knew I was in for a tough time, but this is all a bit much.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I think Loop Hero has pretty soundly defeated me. I somehow managed to strategize just well enough to beat the Lich that one time, but I haven't had a single "good" run since then in Chapter 1 or 2, my equipment drops have been utter poo poo and often ~3 levels below the loop I'm on despite overlapping battlefields for treasure chests and blood clots, making and clearing the devastated villages for better quests, etc. I unlocked the rogue but he's such a fragile glass cannon and so terrifyingly reliant on cooperative equipment drops that I can't see how to keep him alive for more than a few loops even on Chapter 1. Now I'm at the point where I figure I need to grind out a few more buildings/upgrades to stand a chance, but just about everything now needs these goddamned Orbs of Expansion which I already spent my only one of, have no idea how I got it, and multiple guides claim are dropped exclusively from battles with 5+ units which after 8+ runs of failing to get any by doing exactly that, I don't think can possibly be correct.

I knew I was in for a tough time, but this is all a bit much.

spider nest plus vampire mansion and crystals on the nest should be at least 5 mobs a go-round; more if you also have a battlefield and ghosts show up

this and some of the later materials are such a gigantic goddamn pain in the rear end to set up for, tho, especially when dread arengee shows disfavour and gives you sweet gently caress all for your efforts

dunno if i can help you much on warrior or rogue gearing, though the rogue is aided considerably by opening up the arsenal. i think warrior just plain needs s ome dev work, though meadows + crystals can be a surprising amount of regen

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 12, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Weird, I thought torchlight predated hellgate for some reason but nope, 2009. I know there’s a game I’m actually thinking of in terms of release date but I can’t remember the name of it and it’s gonna drive me insane.

Fate, made by the same dev and released in 2005. A fun simple little APRG, I had some good times with it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246840/FATE/

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Apart for all the already mentioned ARPG titles I was pleasantly surprised by Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr + Prophecy. It's not some groundbreaking game, it's just solid overall (get it on sale) but it has some interesting concepts and might be the only actually successful sci-fi take on the genre.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mozi posted:

Fate, made by the same dev and released in 2005. A fun simple little APRG, I had some good times with it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246840/FATE/

That’s exactly the one! Holy crap what a blast from the past, first heard about it on a CGW demo disc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As someone who likes Inquistor (and maybe this was changed since I last played) the big problem it has for some is the progression is very, very, very simple. You know how people talk about boring level up systems that only give you 0.5% better damage or health or whatever? That is 95% of what skill points do in Inquisitor. Active abilities are tied directly to weapon/armor types and do not vary at all - a gun of X type you find at level 1 will have the same active abilities as a gun at level 100.

Basically you better really enjoy the game as it plays because it will not change much at all over the course of many hours.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Antigravitas posted:

Also, Schniepel.

Probably the saddest story in the wake of Ascaron folding was a few of the devs split off and decided to make a spiritual successor to Sacred 1/2. It looked pretty good, they knew Steam was a thing now and wouldn't be subject to worldwide publisher fuckery again, everything was looking up!

And then one of their lead coders died young of cancer, and the game/company folded mid-development, lost to time. The website isn't even up anymore.

Orv
May 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

you need to at least see the intro movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjT4OztNjEU

and the in-game metal concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkLXtTJXves

God I knew that Dark Alliance trailer reminded me of something. :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sailor Dave posted:

Nah, not really. I think the sequel actually does a better job introducing mechanics than the first game. There are like a few references, maybe, but most of the references are to Japanese history. The first game isn't bad, by any means, but 2 is an improvement in literally every way, so it's hard to recommend now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Begemot posted:

Nah, not really. I think the sequel actually does a better job introducing mechanics than the first game. There are like a few references, maybe, but most of the references are to Japanese history. The first game isn't bad, by any means, but 2 is an improvement in literally every way, so it's hard to recommend now.
Yeah, the games a re less different from each other than, I don't know, Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 are. For all intents and purposes, they're basically the same game, but Nioh 2 is just overall bigger and better. There's no particular reason why you'd play Nioh 1 over Nioh 2, they're almost completely unconnected anyway.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, the games a re less different from each other than, I don't know, Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 2 are. For all intents and purposes, they're basically the same game, but Nioh 2 is just overall bigger and better. There's no particular reason why you'd play Nioh 1 over Nioh 2, they're almost completely unconnected anyway.

It's kind of funny because, like, technically Nioh 2 is a prequel, and you fight the protagonist of Nioh 1 as a boss towards the end. But he's such a boring dude that it barely even registers :v:

Oh, also, for anyone getting into Nioh 2: Don't turn on DLSS. They added it in a patch after launch, but it started causing lots of crashes in the character creator. So they patched the game, and now it causes crashes when you finish a mission instead. But the game runs fine without it, so you can just leave it off until they finally get that worked out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, Everhood is such a gem, I love its encounter design, visual style, animations, music. Another neo-retro classic.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Palpek posted:

drat, Everhood is such a gem, I love its encounter design, visual style, animations, music. Another neo-retro classic.

It really could use with another editing pass since the translation is pretty not great, imo. The jokes all land at least though.

Real sad how many people seem to be sleeping on it though, it deserves way more love.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Finished Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth as it is now. Great Metroidvania that's about 5 "stages" (more like chapters) long. The experience so far is about 3 hours or so, which seems more or less comparable to Castlevania SotN and AoS. It is very distinctly not finished, but it feels like the current end-point is just before the final act.

Deedlit plays a lot like SotN Alucard + 8 way attacks in the air + less cancelable backdash. Her main gimmick is that she's always helped by one of two Spirits, and she can switch between them anytime. The Wind Spirit gives you the ability to hover over the ground indefinitely, the Fire one does something tangible too apparently but I'm not sure what it is. The Spirit Forms level up as you do damage, and level down as you take damage; at Level 3, they will refill your health bar gradually. The thing is, if you do damage while using Fire Spirit, it charges up the Wind Spirit, and vice versa. So if you get hit with Fire Spirit, you need to go into Wind Spirit and risk losing your heal to level the Fire Spirit back up.

There are only "major" item drops: Weapons, New Abilities, HP/MP Upgrades, Story Items, and Door Unlocks. There are no consumables as far as I can tell. That means longer fights like bosses is a constant act of juggling your Spirit Forms to get mid-battle heals. The Spirits also absorb their own element, so switching between forms to tank and drain attacks is a constant, and they imbue your weapon with their element, so some enemies can only be damaged by whichever spirit you have. The lack of consumables also means finding items feels a lot more exciting than just finding some chicken in a wall.

Weapons are great, most of them are multi-directional, some are giant arcs, some are thrown, very Castlevania.

Level design is pretty good and complements the enemy variety well. I do wish we had more types of enemies to mix things up though.

Overall, great buy if you like Castlevania style Metroidvanias. Highly recommended.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Console D3 added a roll on the right stick you can use for that but blizzard is stupid and didn’t port it to the PC version.

Yeah, I did enjoy my time with Diablo 3: Demon Hunter kiting and dodging around felt pretty good (and Thorns Crusader was a good laugh). I feel really lucky that I got it on console, played coop, and only got into it once Reaper of Souls and all that fixed everything.

Impermanent posted:

end game path of exile bosses are exactly that these days - you can possibly build to tank but its far more efficient to build for damage and dodge.

I was playing a Duelist for a bit and did get some skills like this drill dash slash or something that made it pretty mobile and fun: is there maybe a better class for more mobile/dodge/skill gameplay, or would they be the best and I should continue with them?

Blattdorf posted:

If you're going to play Torchlight 2, play as the Engineer. The skills flow really well and it almost makes it a pure action game.

Hmm, is there a specific build I should be going for with them? I was interested in the class and was trying 2H melee but it fell into the usual monotony for me: just standing there trading blows with monsters, chugging potions. Maybe I should use 1h/sword or cannons, or maybe playing it wrong? Is it the case where all of the fun skills are at the end of the tree aka end game? That was kind of my annoyance with it: the feeling that it was taking way too long to be able to see the skills, and experimenting was tricky with the annoying respec.

OhFunny posted:

Victor Vran has dodge and jump gameplay.

Oh gods, I've seen this recommended before, but I got my Vs mixed up: thought people were recommending Van Helsing. I'll look out for Victor Vran.

Palpek posted:

Apart for all the already mentioned ARPG titles I was pleasantly surprised by Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr + Prophecy. It's not some groundbreaking game, it's just solid overall (get it on sale) but it has some interesting concepts and might be the only actually successful sci-fi take on the genre.

Oh yeah, was really interested in this one for the theme, but the price and the initial reviews which lambasted it (unless I'm mistaken) turned me off from it. It seemed to have some interesting mechanics like cover and unique classes: what were the big take-aways for you that differ it from the rest?

As everyone has said, yeah, if I do want skill-based combat, it probably would be the best to look into stuff like Nioh, The Surge, Y's and various roguelikes like Curse of the Dead Gods and Hades and such. I understand it is a little bit of a weird demand: top-down ARPGS are typically all about the loot, so it makes sense that they'd make the combat largely determined by it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Begemot posted:

It's kind of funny because, like, technically Nioh 2 is a prequel, and you fight the protagonist of Nioh 1 as a boss towards the end. But he's such a boring dude that it barely even registers :v:

The plot is kind of confusing in both games but Nioh definitely gives you some groundwork for understanding the alt-universe Japan setting of Nioh 2, even though the second game is a prequel. Like it at least tries to explain Amarita and poo poo to you, while in Nioh 2 it's just like, here's a yellow glowing stone that attracts demons, and it's also what you use to level up your character. But yeah second game is way superior mechanically, don't feel pressed to play the first

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Artelier posted:

Finished Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth as it is now. Great Metroidvania that's about 5 "stages" (more like chapters) long. The experience so far is about 3 hours or so, which seems more or less comparable to Castlevania SotN and AoS. It is very distinctly not finished, but it feels like the current end-point is just before the final act.
SOTN is more like 8 hours, AoS about 7. This is kind of discouraging to hear. If the game is really that short, I might return it. I bought it a few days ago because I wanted to take advantage of the current discount, but 3 hours is... very short, honestly. Especially for a metroidvania game, which are supposed to be all about exploration. If it's that short, there can't be much to find.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Also, 3 hours is for the early access version of Deedlit, while the full version claims to have 5-6 hours of content when it releases later this month

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

SOTN is more like 8 hours, AoS about 7. This is kind of discouraging to hear. If the game is really that short, I might return it. I bought it a few days ago because I wanted to take advantage of the current discount, but 3 hours is... very short, honestly. Especially for a metroidvania game, which are supposed to be all about exploration. If it's that short, there can't be much to find.

Hmm...maybe I just play them faster than you? I definitely finished AoS within 4 hours first time, it's a short game, even with the true ending requirements. SotN is like two decades at this point though so maybe I'm misremembering and underselling it a bit.

Also, even though I got through Deedlit in 3 or so hours, there was almost a constant barrage of new content, and very few rooms felt like filler. I personally prefer a tighter short experience myself but hey, if you need lots of content then I'd like to point you towards a great game (that you probably already played) Hollow Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Artelier posted:

Hmm...maybe I just play them faster than you? I definitely finished AoS within 4 hours first time, it's a short game, even with the true ending requirements. SotN is like two decades at this point though so maybe I'm misremembering and underselling it a bit.

Also, even though I got through Deedlit in 3 or so hours, there was almost a constant barrage of new content, and very few rooms felt like filler. I personally prefer a tighter short experience myself but hey, if you need lots of content then I'd like to point you towards a great game (that you probably already played) Hollow Knight.

Did you do the inverted castle in SOTN