Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

multijoe posted:

Might I recommend Hades OP?

I got that and played it a ton. Looking for something new but equally addicting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I got that and played it a ton. Looking for something new but equally addicting.

i played dark souls for the first time last year and then immediately played through it again four or five more times, if that tells you anything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man I'm sad I missed MH Demo chat. Here's my take

Len posted:

Has there ever been a good demo? I thought the general advice was "don't play them because they're real bad at showing what the game is actually like"?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You already got roasted once for that take, we didn't need to hear it again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Radiant historian demo is like the first six hours of the game

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Radiant historian demo is like the first six hours of the game

The 3DS had some good demos. Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default and Second, the Ace Attorney and Pokemon ones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

You already got roasted once for that take, we didn't need to hear it again.

Which is still weird, seeing as the context was literally in regards to talk of the Monster Hunter demo

But it looks like people are coming back with ":actually: this demo is good" again even though this time I even clearly put Monster Hunter in the post

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Honestly I was just responding to CharlestheHammer. I only ever played like an hour of MonHun on the PSP and it completely wasn't my thing so I don't really care about it.

Plus it appears that Capcom was actively evil last year so they're on the list of developers to not intentionally purchase from.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But your take doesn’t make any sense with a single game so why repost it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Walla posted:

Honestly I was just responding to CharlestheHammer. I only ever played like an hour of MonHun on the PSP and it completely wasn't my thing so I don't really care about it.

Plus it appears that Capcom was actively evil last year so they're on the list of developers to not intentionally purchase from.

What did they do?

CharlestheHammer posted:

But your take doesn’t make any sense with a single game so why repost it.

Because there have been multiple Monster Hunter demos and every one does a bad job at showing the game?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Len posted:

What did they do?

https://www.pcgamer.com/capcom-repo...1isBPn0ifO1qlkw

quote:

PC Gamer posted:

It's been roughly a year since Covid-19 took over our lives. While it isn't worst-affected by the global pandemic, the games industry has struggled to adapt to the necessity of remote work. But this January, in the face of Japan posting some of its highest case figures, Capcom reportedly forced employees to continue clocking into the publisher's Osaka office.

Speaking to Japanese outlet Business Journal (via Kotaku), a Capcom whistle-blower said that employees were "forced to come to work" even as the government declared a state of emergency in parts of the country, including Osaka. According to a leaked internal email, it appears Capcom was so spooked by last year's ransomware attack that it has decided to cut off remote work.

"In view of this situation, we decided that we had to temporarily abandon the use of the remote system, which we had been preparing for verification by many people, and have to go to work," an email sent to the development department read (via Google Translate).

A message from a senior executive also allegedly read: "70% of Japan is at home, but 30% come to work to support the Japanese economy. We have a mission to support the Japanese economy as 30%"

In response, a Capcom spokesperson told Business Journal that it had implemented several measures to ensure office safety by enforcing social distancing, mask use, temperature checks and staggered work hours. The report notes that Capcom's actions aren't a clear breach of the country's Labor Standards Act, but the source notes that the pandemic has only exacerbated reportedly poor working conditions at Capcom.

Workers who refuse to enter the office are seemingly faced with employment restrictions, or placed on standby at home without work. Capcom reportedly seems to be making remote work as unappealing as possible, with one source saying: "In some cases, it seems as if they are being urged to retire."

In January, Capcom reported that the data leak affected just under 400,000 people, though payment details and game servers were unaffected. It's easy to see why management would be spooked, especially as the industry at large grapples with the reality of remote work. But by and large, they've made it work—all without bringing developers into a potential infection hotspot.

PC Gamer has reached out to Capcom for comment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oh that's nothing my work hasn't done

I actually got bitched at for getting a covid test a couple weeks back :shrug:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That doesn't make it less evil.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You have really weird takes that only seem to exist to get you attention.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So it seems the capcom leaks are to blame?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

You have really weird takes that only seem to exist to get you attention.

i guess "still having to go to work" doesn't seem that evil to me but that might just be because i've still had to go to work

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
In Len's defense, I believe they have a chud boss who is a Covid-denier. I don't think they were saying that what Capcom was doing was okay, just that (at least to someone living in the US), it's not very surprising to hear "corporation refuses to adhere to Covid standards".

Apologies if I'm confusing you with someone else.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Len posted:

i guess "still having to go to work" doesn't seem that evil to me but that might just be because i've still had to go to work

I've still had to go to work as well. But I'm an essential employee in the automotive industry. I'm not being forced to choose between making a video game or not having a paycheck, and despite the fact that I've never stopped working I can still be outraged when a company forces people to against their own best interests.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Read After Burning posted:

In Len's defense, I believe they have a chud boss who is a Covid-denier. I don't think they were saying that what Capcom was doing was okay, just that (at least to someone living in the US), it's not very surprising to hear "corporation refuses to adhere to Covid standards".

It sounds like he's my boss, or at least works for the same company. I'm also an American surrounded by Covid deniers. Apathy is as much a problem as denial during the past year which is why the death rate is as high as it is.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Read After Burning posted:

His new thing is "the vaccine is incredibly deadly and getting it is probably going to kill you"

Walla posted:

I've still had to go to work as well. But I'm an essential employee in the automotive industry. I'm not being forced to choose between making a video game or not having a paycheck, and despite the fact that I've never stopped working I can still be outraged when a company forces people to against their own best interests.

we store and ship chemicals that go into the paint that goes on cars, somehow that makes us essential?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This was like a hundred pages back but someone recommended I play Dark Souls and I recently reinstalled and gave it another shot.

I wanted to be a fire wizard but the starting spell is kinda limited and has poor range, and I still haven't found out where to get more fire magic. I did find a morning star and a swanky shield, though. I haven't figured out how not to die all the time, but at least basically everything I hit dies before it gets a chance to recover.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I have a tricky request for a game recommendation.

My parents have never been into video games. The one game that was actually a big hit with them was, of all things, the islands minigame in Game & Wario for the Wii U. For those that haven't played it, it's a multiplayer game where you take turn launching your pieces on to an island. Different zones are worth different amounts of points, and the winner is whoever has the most total points after the final round. There are physics and random events, so winning still has a lot of luck involved, and the controls and concept are simple so it's easy to just pick up and play a couple games.

My parents recently got a switch with Ring Fit and Animal Crossing, and they've been enjoying both, but they just asked for recommendations for a game similar to Islands. My current idea is Clubhouse games, because it fills a similar role (standalone multiplayer game that can be played for a couple rounds during a family get together) and doesn't need reflexes or anything, but it's still pretty different so I could see it not holding the same appeal. Any other ideas for multiplayer games that would work similarly? Not Mario Party or Kart, they've tried those before.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This was like a hundred pages back but someone recommended I play Dark Souls and I recently reinstalled and gave it another shot.

I wanted to be a fire wizard but the starting spell is kinda limited and has poor range, and I still haven't found out where to get more fire magic. I did find a morning star and a swanky shield, though. I haven't figured out how not to die all the time, but at least basically everything I hit dies before it gets a chance to recover.

pretty soon you’ll meet a guy trapped in a barrel who will sell you pyromancies if you free him. break the barrel by rolling instead of using a weapon so you don’t accidentally hit him. there’s another pyromancy lady a little later who hangs out in a swamp

i really like barrel guy’s voice acting. he sounds very tired

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Snake Maze posted:

There are a few indie games that focus on silly physics based party game stuff, although I personally haven't played many of them.
Also I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but there are a lot of modern physical "dexterity" board games that capture the Wario Ware "Islands" dynamic perfectly. I'd bet your parents would love something like Junk Art or Flick 'Em Up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hatty posted:

So it seems the capcom leaks are to blame?

management is to blame

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
lol yes ive also had to go to work but that only means our employers deserve death

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Snake Maze posted:

Fortune Street

Maybe one of the Jackbox games? If they're okay with using phones to play, that can go well. I would suggest Drawful and Quiplash at the least, and there's a strong case to be made for Trivia Murder Party.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

lol yes ive also had to go to work but that only means our employers deserve death

but they're our generous job creator!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I mean... they're sending you to your death

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Dark Souls pyromancy is a bit weird. It basically has its own leveling system. You can be soul level one, and do massive damage with an upgraded pyro glove.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Inferior Third Season posted:

Dark Souls pyromancy is a bit weird. It basically has its own leveling system. You can be soul level one, and do massive damage with an upgraded pyro glove.

Yeah you level the flame hand itself to power all your pyromancies. So you could be a SL1 pyromancy monster with a fully ascended flame.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weedle posted:

pretty soon you’ll meet a guy trapped in a barrel who will sell you pyromancies if you free him. break the barrel by rolling instead of using a weapon so you don’t accidentally hit him. there’s another pyromancy lady a little later who hangs out in a swamp

Yeah and barrel dude goes back to firelink shrine after you rescue him

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Weedle posted:

Most of the voices sound this way (aside from Solaire and the weird guy at the top of the bell tower who keeps his arms outstretched :wtc:), and I love it.

God that universe is so oppressive. I miss it, I should probably get it on Switch.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dark Souls is perfect on The Nintendo Switch

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Most of the voices sound this way (aside from Solaire and the weird guy at the top of the bell tower who keeps his arms outstretched :wtc:), and I love it.

God that universe is so oppressive. I miss it, I should probably get it on Switch.

Siegmeyer of Catarina has my favorite voice, all very hale-and-hearty and keen to eat a filling soup

hahaha and then in DS2 Peter Serafinowicz shows up!

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 12, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

most of the voice acting in ds1 is really exceptional. like you say, a lot of the characters just sound incredibly weary, like they’ve been here for longer than they can remember. i really like hearing them chew on the dialogue; alvina, gough, oswald, griggs, eingyi, gwyndolin, i could just sit around and listen to them for ages

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Fortune Street

I can think of nothing better than a Switch version of Fortune Street.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

alf_pogs posted:

Siegmeyer of Catarina has my favorite voice, all very hale-and-hearty and keen to eat a filling soup

hahaha and then in DS2 Peter Serafinowicz shows up!

Yeah he was a massive fan of the first game and lobbied hard to get a voice role lol. He’s great, DS2 is my least favorite of the series but the Pate/Creighton stuff is good

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

My parents have never been into video games. The one game that was actually a big hit with them was, of all things, the islands minigame in Game & Wario for the Wii U. For those that haven't played it, it's a multiplayer game where you take turn launching your pieces on to an island. Different zones are worth different amounts of points, and the winner is whoever has the most total points after the final round. There are physics and random events, so winning still has a lot of luck involved, and the controls and concept are simple so it's easy to just pick up and play a couple games.

My parents recently got a switch with Ring Fit and Animal Crossing, and they've been enjoying both, but they just asked for recommendations for a game similar to Islands. My current idea is Clubhouse games, because it fills a similar role (standalone multiplayer game that can be played for a couple rounds during a family get together) and doesn't need reflexes or anything, but it's still pretty different so I could see it not holding the same appeal. Any other ideas for multiplayer games that would work similarly? Not Mario Party or Kart, they've tried those before.

... This feels like the rare moment when 1-2 switch or Carnival Games is actually the correct recommendation to make? Not that I've played either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I barely understand the mechanics of dark souls but it's a really great moody game to pick up for a few hours, rage quit, and come back to a week later to bang my head against. I assume at this rate I'll finish it and pick up dark souls 2 for the switch pro+s in 2024